What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best rock album of the past 20 years? (1 Viewer)

It has to be Lost in The Dream by The War On Drugs, right? Has been on repeat for me for several months now.

link to album
Not gonna lie...this is the first I've ever heard of these guys (guess I'm getting old)...I dig the sound, but after only a few listens, I'd be lying if the entire album didn't sound like the exact same song to me. Not trying to be "one of those guys", just my initial impression. I'll keep listening though.

Good thread
Love this album and it's one of the best indie rock albums that I can think of

It has to be Lost in The Dream by The War On Drugs, right? Has been on repeat for me for several months now.

link to album
Just listened to this. Have Slave Ambient and like it.

This is much of the same. Good for a song or two, but gets very repetitive. It's like the band has no ability to change tempo in the midst of a song. The drummer might as well be, and is likely, a drum machine.

After a while, it becomes soulless

link to album
Just listened to this. Have Slave Ambient and like it.This is much of the same. Good for a song or two, but gets very repetitive. It's like the band has no ability to change tempo in the midst of a song. The drummer might as well be, and is likely, a drum machine.

I thought it was a snooze.

link to album
Just listened to this. Have Slave Ambient and like it.This is much of the same. Good for a song or two, but gets very repetitive. It's like the band has no ability to change tempo in the midst of a song. The drummer might as well be, and is likely, a drum machine.

3rd time through. Not a snooze, I dig it...but it's nowhere even close to the best rock album of the past 20 years

link to album

3rd time through. Not a snooze, I dig it...but it's nowhere even close to the best rock album of the past 20 years
You're wrong. Bosox said it's the best rock album of the past 20 years.

What's the Story Morning Glory

Grace
:thumbup:

Forgot about these two somehow. I guess it's "cool" to hate Oasis nowadays but I can't bring myself to do it.
Tomorrow is the 19h anniversary of it's release. Song for song, it's hard to find a rock album of any era that can match it. It's an all timer in any generation.
Fired this up this morning on the way to work (well, the remastered version on Spotify). I can't believe how well it holds up. Definitely an all-timer.

Oasis would've been better if the singer didnt have the most annoying voice of all time. good song writing though.

the best rock album of the last 50 years is Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven. It's niche as hell, but it's rock in its purest and most evolved form.

Two maybe underground albums on major labels that aren't mentioned (we already did our favorite albums of the nineties, so...I'll let those stand)

Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut

Toadies - Rubberneck

Not gonna lie. This war in drugs album is really growing on me. Very relaxing without being depressing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's some strange mix b/w Don Henley/Bob Dylan (only on some songs)/and some other 80's artist that I can't think of

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna lie. This war in drugs album is really growing on me. Very relaxing without being depressing. I can't put my finger on it, but it's some strange mix b/w Don Henley/Bob Dylan (only on some songs)/and some other 80's artist that I can't think of
i get a Bruce springsteen (think i'm on fire) and dire straits vibe.

Grace

Forgot about these two somehow. I guess it's "cool" to hate Oasis nowadays but I can't bring myself to do it.
Tomorrow is the 19h anniversary of it's release. Song for song, it's hard to find a rock album of any era that can match it. It's an all timer in any generation.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallicas-lars-ulrich-oasis-has-been-the-soundtrack-to-my-life-for-the-last-20-years/

i get a Bruce springsteen (think i'm on fire) and dire straits vibe.
Dire straits is who i was thinking of....not Henley....thanks!

the best rock album of the last 50 years is Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven. It's niche as hell, but it's rock in its purest and most evolved form.
A review from John Cage's short-lived second career as a rock critic?

So last night I saw War on Drugs at the Fillmore in SF. As if I needed more of a reason to :wub: them. They were absolutely fantastic.

You listen to a song like "Under the Pressure" on the album and think, man, that's a pretty great song. Then you hear them do it live and realize it's not just a song it's a ####### production. Pretty incredible stuff.

My nominees would be:

Grace - Jeff Buckley

Fear of a Blank Planet/Nil Recurring - Porcupine Tree

Deadwing - Porcupine Tree

In Absenstia - Porcupine Tree

Nothing Left To Lose - Foo Fighters

Supermassive Black Hole - Muse

Clockwork Angels - Rush

The Bends - Radiohead

O.K. Computer - Radiohead

Scenes From A Memory Part 2 - Dream Theatre

Absolution - Muse

Tiny Music - Stone Temple Pilots

Purple - Stone Temple Pilots

Amorica - The Black Crowes

Lions - The Black Crowes

Down On The Upside - Soundgarden

Superunknown - Soundgarden

Some may have missed the cutoff for 20 years.....by maybe a year. But those albums are all amazing front to back.

Weezer Blue might be the answer. OK Computer, Superunknown, and Funeral are right there though. Tough call. And I know we are missing something good.

Two maybe underground albums on major labels that aren't mentioned (we already did our favorite albums of the nineties, so...I'll let those stand)

Toadies - Rubberneck
That ####### Toadies album is fantastic. I saw them in Fort Myers, FL (of all places) and they killed it. Big, big fan of that album. By proxy alone i'll check out the Hum record. I think the Toadies had a badass song on the Crow 2 soundtrack.

Not sure they're amongst the best album but the Toadies reference reminded me of:

Seven Mary Three - American Standard

and

Better Than Ezra-Deluxe (21 years close enough)

There was also this band in Tallahassee while I was in school that was killing the nightclubs and released an album called My Own Prison which was really good. Then Creed got popular and everything turned to ####, somehow including my copy of My Own Prison.

Toadies - Rubberneck
That ####### Toadies album is fantastic. I saw them in Fort Myers, FL (of all places) and they killed it. Big, big fan of that album. By proxy alone i'll check out the Hum record. I think the Toadies had a badass song on the Crow 2 soundtrack.
I love that album. I didn't get into it until the aughts, for the most part. Hum is a great band who have put out a great couple of albums. Sort of dreamy, psychedelic guitar rock. They're a lot different from the Toadies -- I think only the decade itself is the binder between those two bands. But both were and are wonderful. There are a bunch of other great albums from the past twenty years, but I just figured I'd pass on a few that people hadn't mentioned.

I saw a number of mentions of The Colour and The Shape. Personally, I like In Your Honor better. The acoustic side puts it over the top.

I like the song ideas from war on drugs but they dont seem like vetted songs

I just lose interest after a few minutes as the songs just do the same thing for 7 minutes

I like War on Drugs just fine thankyouverymuch but to rank any of their albums among the best in two decades is short sighted and lacking in historical context

In college it was a constant war of mix tapes in the house. oasis and the verve vs. pearl jam and nirvana. We lost the battle back then but I think we won the war. Definitely Maybe, WTSMG and Urban Hymns sound as good today as when they were released. Pearl jam and nirvana sound dated, dull and depressing.

As musical taste is subjective, I would put Porcupine Tree's In Absentia above 3/4 of the albums listed in this thread

Grace

:goodposting:
I was one of those haters when it came out. I was in a big classic rock phase and labeled them as a Beatles wanna-be. I was very wrong, Oasis holds up better than most of the 90s grunge groups.
I came here to post this. This is the best Rock CD of the the last 20 years and the past 60 years!

Toadies - Rubberneck
I love that album. I didn't get into it until the aughts, for the most part. Hum is a great band who have put out a great couple of albums. Sort of dreamy, psychedelic guitar rock. They're a lot different from the Toadies -- I think only the decade itself is the binder between those two bands. But both were and are wonderful. There are a bunch of other great albums from the past twenty years, but I just figured I'd pass on a few that people hadn't mentioned.
I see Toadies a few times a year and they rock every single time. This last tour they played Rubberneck from beginning to end, one song right after another, no discussion in between. Simply amazing. My only complaint is that they started out the show with it instead of finishing with it. The triple drumming (Mark and two roadies) on I Burn would have ended the night perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread