What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Real Official wildcard game 2 *** Steeler Vs Bengals *** (1 Viewer)

Red on ESPN said he was leading with the crown of his helmet which is illegal and should have been flagged :shrug:
Total BS hit, felt that way at the time. Glad others not only see it but are finding the media members to say it. Fans in here, how can you listen to a Steelersfan on that hit? Of course they are going to say Bernard was not defenseless.

Jim Diapolis on ESPN saying Shazier's hit should've been penalized for leading with the crown of his helmet.
I agree with this and that is why I hated when Tomlin went for the fumble call. He just got away with killing one of their players and no flag on the crown of the helmet. 1st half they crucified the Cinci DB for just making a tackle at a guy running right at him full speed and leading with his helmet into the defender. Glad the media saw it that way.
:lmao: This can't be for real, right?

The boner the NFL has had for Pitt over the last fifteen years has been incredible
:lmao:
Oh I know here we go, all on the refs. Because cincy has 2 classless thugs. Everyone knew burfict would @@@@ up. And that great citizen PAC man or is it Adam now would implode.
True, watching the game it was obvious that Burfict was going to continue to try and hurt Steelers. His hit on Ben was 100% legal, but you know he was trying to land him on his shoulder. That happens all the time and again is 100% legal. He was so out of control looking for a fight. He just imploded at the wrong time and in a clearly 100% illegal hit that was going to draw a flag.

Damn genius of the Steelers

"Joey head out there and talk some #### to them and see if we can get an extra 15!"
FREAKIN LB coach out there for a hurt WR and is no where near the hurt player. Instead hrs standing in a group of 6 Bengals.
Yep. That was something that's been in their back pocket for a while now. Someone above is right though. If the Patriots did this the world would have stopped.
Could you imagine if the Pats had McGinest as a LB coach and went out here just to talk #### and draw a 15? End of the world.

Red on ESPN said he was leading with the crown of his helmet which is illegal and should have been flagged :shrug:
Total BS hit, felt that way at the time. Glad others not only see it but are finding the media members to say it. Fans in here, how can you listen to a Steelersfan on that hit? Of course they are going to say Bernard was not defenseless.
If folks want to argue that was leading with the crown, that's at lest subjective and can be debated.

There's no way Bernard was defenseless tho.

I watched replay over and over. Still can't see where the second personal foul was.
They showed one angle where there was some jawing and Jones came flying in from the side and bumped into the group of refs. The ref who got hit from behind threw the flag.
That's seriously all there was? Ref gets accidentally bumped and Porter gets pushed while he's on the field when he shouldn't be?

Jim Diapolis on ESPN saying Shazier's hit should've been penalized for leading with the crown of his helmet.
I agree with this and that is why I hated when Tomlin went for the fumble call. He just got away with killing one of their players and no flag on the crown of the helmet. 1st half they crucified the Cinci DB for just making a tackle at a guy running right at him full speed and leading with his helmet into the defender. Glad the media saw it that way.
Lol he's been on it since the play. Tomlin is the reason Ben got hurt.

Doesn't matter if he was defenseless. Can't lead with the crown on a hit ever. Refs got the call wrong.

Deion defending Burfict, lol
Yeah, I had to turn it off. Burfict saw the pass go off his hands. He thought he could put a hit on Brown and get away with it. I don't know that he was trying to make contact with Brown's head, but he was trying to make contact.

Deion is full of it. If Burfict was trying to avoid contact, he would have dipped or twisted or just pulled up short. Instead he lowered his shoulder.

Literally no one talking about Jeremy Hill's fumble
Normally I would, but the circumstances of what followed are pretty unique. Had Pitt at Cincy 45 with NO timeouts left and 18 seconds on the clock. Somehow Cincy found a way to squeeze 2 15 yard penalties in that time span to give the kicker a chipshot. That's entirely on the defense IMO.

Wow McCarron is a crybaby
I don't feel that's fair today for someone who was just trying to play QB and win a game.

If Burfict were crying then alright but AJ...look at his g/f, of course he is going to be a softie.

McCarron is also the back up QB, let's let him be.

If Dalton were out there tonight, different game IMHO.

On the NFL Network, Deion Sanders is defending Burfict.
He was defending Odell and he was the one who started all the homophobic slur talk, which was debunked by the players around Odell (they all said they didn't hear anything) and reports from the appeal that said nothing about homophobic slurs. Deion is a complete and utter tool. Either he is trying to keep his name relevant or he is willing to back his guys no matter what.

No way you can defend anything Burfict did. Clear penalty and no doubt his intent was to take out Brown.

Watched the play again, and he did hit him with the crown, no doubt.

My understanding was that if a player was not defenseless it didn't matter how contact was initiated.

If I am wrong, I will definitely own it.

I know I'll catch crap for this but watching the hits on Bernard and Brown reinforces two things for me:

1. I'll never let my boys play football

2. I think the NFL has peaked in popularity

The refs had nothing to do with the outcome of this game. Hill fumbles, Burfict imploded, Jones Imploded, Lewis couldn't or wouldn't stop it. The end. Remember, there was a reason Burfict wasn't drafted and why Jones was available. I don't follow either team at all. I never once felt the game was poorly officiated.
Exactly. Refs never even crossed my mind. Fun to watch anyways as a guy who doesn't care either way.
I am a Bengals fan and don't even blame the refs. Both teams play on the edge of insanity and battle every whistle of every snap to be alpha male. The rivalry is what it is. Best to embrace it rather than whine because neither team is backing down anytime soon. Personal fouls come with the territory when youre in that kind of game. Steelers and Bengals will probably play for the division again next year and probably try to kill each other again. Throwback games

Idk. I feel like the Brown hit wasn't as bad as people think. It did seem like an attempt at the ball in real time, but with Burficts history and anytime you make such solid contact with the head, you won't get any benefit of the doubt.
Guys are going super fast and Brown came down at last second. I'm sure Burflict had no idea he hadn't caught the ball.

Damn genius of the Steelers

"Joey head out there and talk some #### to them and see if we can get an extra 15!"
FREAKIN LB coach out there for a hurt WR and is no where near the hurt player. Instead hrs standing in a group of 6 Bengals.
Yep. That was something that's been in their back pocket for a while now. Someone above is right though. If the Patriots did this the world would have stopped.
Could you imagine if the Pats had McGinest as a LB coach and went out here just to talk #### and draw a 15? End of the world.
From Eric Edholm a writer for Yahoo 3 days ago

Just talked to former #Steelers LB James Farrior. He thinks they're still in #Bengals' heads. "And if not, Joey Porter will remind them."

I don't feel that's fair today for someone who was just trying to play QB and win a game. If Burfict were crying then alright but AJ...look at his g/f, of course he is going to be a softie.

"Every time we had the ball it rained , it didn't when they had it" :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cincy fans have something they can hang on to. They may have lost the game, but at least they won at, "Keeping it Real". ThugLife FTW!

Love how Burfict is a thug but Shazier is Man of the year. #### all of you.
Really dude you are clueless just stop. Idioit
Learn how to spell check you buffoon. Both were completely illegal hits to the head.
Check the rules BUFFOON, shazier was a legal tackle.
Legal tackle or not (and it was borderline) bragging on the sideline about concussing another player is not exactly classy
It wasn't borderline. Bernard was not defenseless, Shazier can go helmet to helmet all day long and it's not illegal.
ok so it was what, 3/100's of a second from being an illegal hit? nah not borderline at all. and still doesn't have anything to do with the comment that it was pretty classless to be running up and down the sideline yelling about knocking somebody out
It wasn't nearly that close. Bernard took at least two steps and turned around. Just pointing out the rules man.

I agree celebrating an injury is classless.
Leading with the crown of your helmet is a penalty, plain and simple.
Strange. I see it happen on a good percent of running plays.
It's allowed inside the tackle box since the NFL.com link posted a few posts up.

I don't feel that's fair today for someone who was just trying to play QB and win a game. If Burfict were crying then alright but AJ...look at his g/f, of course he is going to be a softie.

:lmao: :lmao:

Love how Burfict is a thug but Shazier is Man of the year. #### all of you.
It's not about these 2 plays, it's more about the history of the two players.
Not to mention one hit was on a player who was clearly defenseless with the ball 10 yards past him, and the other play was on a guy turned up the field with the ball. I think Shazier could have been called for a penalty, sure, but that was a much tougher call than the Burfict play.

FWIW, I think the Jones penalty could've been ignored too, but when you've been an ####### like he has his whole career, it bites you sometimes.

Idk. I feel like the Brown hit wasn't as bad as people think. It did seem like an attempt at the ball in real time, but with Burficts history and anytime you make such solid contact with the head, you won't get any benefit of the doubt.
Burfict made zero attempt at the ball. Watch the angle from the sideline. He lined him up
And how the hell would you know what he was attempting for, Lombardi?

Crown of the helmet is not illegal people.

Here is the rule.

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul. Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.
Now...I would have to go back...but was Bernard past 3 yards of the LOS? If so, the rule would not apply

Edit...2 yard loss....yes, should have been called.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very real. I have never been a Tomlin fan, felt he won with Cowher's team and the talent eroded on defense slowly over the years but I know some folks love the guy.

He put his team in harm's way when he needed to keep things cool. He also is getting a pass for allowing his coaches on the field inciting the Bengals and especially Pacman Jones.

Literally no one talking about Jeremy Hill's fumble
Normally I would, but the circumstances of what followed are pretty unique. Had Pitt at Cincy 45 with NO timeouts left and 18 seconds on the clock. Somehow Cincy found a way to squeeze 2 15 yard penalties in that time span to give the kicker a chipshot. That's entirely on the defense IMO.
I have no idea why Hill with his issues is icing the game but that was the end of the game. That's a Bengal win if he doesn't fumble that ball.

"Unconsciousable" huh?
Seems like proper use to me. Look at people freaking out of Burfict's hit. A couple of decades ago that's called a great play. I remember with LBs were lauded for destroying WRs going over the middle. But no, we get proof of an increased risk of future mental problems that we've been dealing with fine forever and that somehow changes everything.

If folks want to argue that was leading with the crown, that's at lest subjective and can be debated.

There's no way Bernard was defenseless tho.
So you were pointing out the one rule, not "the rules", in your earlier post? Got it...

Oh he's a crybaby then no doubt, Hold him for me

Users who are viewing this thread