What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Oscars Do-Over: 1994 & 1995: Gump vs Pulp vs Shawshank and more (1 Viewer)

Best Picture of 1995

• Heat

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Apollo 13

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Toy Story

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Braveheart

Votes: 31 20.9%
  • Seven

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • The Usual Suspects

Votes: 40 27.0%

• Total voters
I am a huge fan of Gump, Pulp and Shawshank, and it is a shame that all three came out the same year and only one could win the Oscar.  Gun to my head, I would probably pick Shawshank as the best of the three, but all three are magnificent. 

I am a huge fan of The Usual Suspects, Heat and Se7en, but I still gotta give Braveheard the nod for 1995. 

On the underrated list for 1995, have you guys ever seen City of Lost Children?  It's a French movie starring Ron Perelman and one of my favorites back then.  It has that Terry Gilliam vibe and quite the ride.  Way ahead of its time but the English subtitles definitely hindered its success.  

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/city_of_lost_children

Last edited by a moderator:
the curse of fables is that someone will try to make parables of them
Your point is a great one. Wow. But I gently disagree. Groom was humanizing autism as cold reason realized as part of the human experience. The sentimentality of the film doesn't change its form, it only makes it more sentimental, not more human.  

Your point is a great one. Wow. But I gently disagree. Groom was humanizing autism as cold reason realized as part of the human experience. The sentimentality of the film doesn't change its form, it only makes it more sentimental, not more human.  
I have no idea if Groom wrote a fable. Zemeckis made one, though

ETA: i like it better when you violently disagree anyways

I have no idea if Groom wrote a fable. Zemeckis made one, though

ETA: i like it better when you violently disagree anyways
Mistah pissah, thanks a bunch and getting me to look up the difference between the two. As an aside, I gently disagree because vehemence is not my strong suit right now. 

🐦...............................................................................................

☁️               ☁️                ☁️
Coming from the guy that busted my bollocks for usein' every moji imaginable to spell, "K" - 

- I approve.

And, ya did it with fewer than 4 mojis.

<impressed>

Veheme on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to veheme on
Thanks, my man. I can hear the opening strains of the song. Smiled a bit. Love it. One of my favorite songs ever.  

Veheme on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to veheme on
Nother thought...and this one is actually serious - which is hard to do lookin at the lyrics...

But, if veheme is "poopin" - well - that kinda fits the original lyrics better than appearance.

Think about it. 

I have pooped on most everyone I love - and they on me. Yet...

That's what we neeed. Sometimes...

In a way.

I think...

We had 2 much closer races here but it looks like we have reached a conclusion. I might wrap this one up tonight and begrudgingly fire up a new thread for 96/97 for Tuesday/Wed before we all jump back into March Maddness. 

I was watching The Lion King with my son yesterday.  I still love the epic feel of it (and, as I mentioned earlier, I do love epics), but Simba was a bit more emo than I remembered.  If I could vote over, I'd probably give the edge to Shawshank.

Ilov80s said:
We had 2 much closer races here but it looks like we have reached a conclusion. I might wrap this one up tonight and begrudgingly fire up a new thread for 96/97 for Tuesday/Wed before we all jump back into March Maddness. 
Yeah, this round was good. 

I'm gonna look at the 96 - 97 movie lists tonight. Last round I came in late. 

I'm going to try to get some votes up earlier this time. Perhaps, I'll be less swayed by other votes. 

Though, it also opens me up to lookin more foolish. And I don't like lookin a fool. 

Nice work 80s.

Ilov80s said:
Begrudgingly?  1997 is about the best year for movies since I've been born - you better get the nominees correct! ;)

Yeah, this round was good. 

I'm gonna look at the 96 - 97 movie lists tonight. Last round I came in late. 

I'm going to try to get some votes up earlier this time. Perhaps, I'll be less swayed by other votes. 

Though, it also opens me up to lookin more foolish. And I don't like lookin a fool. 

Nice work 80s.
I'll help you with some 1997 to start with ;)

The Ice Storm

The Sweet Hereafter

Jackie Brown

Boogie Nights

I'll help you with some 1997 to start with ;)

The Ice Storm

The Sweet Hereafter

Jackie Brown

Boogie Nights

Reveal hidden contents
The Sweet Hereafter is likely in my top 20 favorite movies, but I thought about rewatching it the other night and realized it's something I probably never want to see again.   :(  

For me, The Full Monty and LA Confidential are the best of 1997. It was a very good year for film.
Great year for film.  I have it something like this:

Boogie Nights

LA Confidential

Good Will Hunting

Ice Storm

Life is Beautiful

Jackie Brown

Grosse Point Blank

Chasing Amy

For me, The Full Monty and LA Confidential are the best of 1997. It was a very good year for film.

The Sweet Hereafter is likely in my top 20 favorite movies, but I thought about rewatching it the other night and realized it's something I probably never want to see again.   :(  

That makes more sense.  Forgot about you wanting them in 1 thread.

Great year for film.  I have it something like this:

Boogie Nights

LA Confidential

Good Will Hunting

Ice Storm

Life is Beautiful

Jackie Brown

Grosse Point Blank

Chasing Amy
New thread is posted 

I argue that the 90s is the greatest decade for American film, and I think this poll proves that. Not a fan of Forrest Gump, but I count all these somewhere on my all time top 100:

Pulp Fiction

Leon: The Professional

Heat

Seven

The Usual Suspects

The actual Oscars went to Forrest Gump and Braveheart. FBG strongly disagreed with both of those movies coming in 3rd for their years. FBG preferred Pulp Fiction and The Usual Suspects. The Academy got both years wrong but so did FBG. 

1994 Best Picture: Shawshank Redemption

Only Guilty Man in Shawshank

Duettino- Sull'aria

Salvation Lies Within

Shawshank Redemption is endlessly rewatchable. It's such a balanced film: dark and light, grim but funny, a movie that brings out as many tears as it does smiles. Some of the characters are doomed while others are able to hold on to hope with heroic patience. Frank Darabont saw something in Shawshank that not even the author Stephen King saw. Even more impressive was how Darabont was able to bring it to life and cram it full of so much human emotion. Even the simple act of a few guys having a few beers after a hard day's work feels profound. On top of all of that human emotion, it is a heist film. The heist happens right under our noses but it is only when we open the display case and see the missing jewel that we realize we've been had. All the seemingly insignificant pieces instantly fitting together in a way that seems so obvious. From the depths of hell, Andy Dufresne stole back his life. 

1995 Best Picture: Toy Story

You've got a friend in me

Son of a building block 

To infinity and beyond!

The Best Picture Oscar has never gone to an animated film but given their universal success and love, that seems wrong. Rarely have any characters played by actors been met with love and staying power of the characters we have drawn.  So, if we are looking to break the mold and honor our beloved cartoon characters, Toy Story is the movie to do it with. It has everything required of an all-time classic. Woody and Buzz are as popular as any 90s movie characters. The supporting toys like Rex, Hamm and Mr. Potato Head deliver genuine laughs and are backed by great voices like Don Rickles, R Lee Emory, and Jim Varney. It packs just the right amount of humor and imagination to appeal to adults and children alike. However, it wasn't just good casting and a fun story that pushes it to greatness. Toy Story looked unlike anything else at the time. The movie put Pixar on the map and changed animation forever. Toy Story created a movie universe, a movie look and style (the adult humor disguised and dressed up for kids) that changed the future of movies as much as Star Wars. The battles in Braveheart look incredible and the twist in the Usual Suspect was a jaw dropper but none of those movies left the impact that Toy Story has. 

The actual Oscars went to Forrest Gump and Braveheart. FBG strongly disagreed with both of those movies coming in 3rd for their years. FBG preferred Pulp Fiction and The Usual Suspects. The Academy got both years wrong but so did FBG. 

1994 Best Picture: Shawshank Redemption

Only Guilty Man in Shawshank

Duettino- Sull'aria

Salvation Lies Within

Shawshank Redemption is endlessly rewatchable. It's such a balanced film: dark and light, grim but funny, a movie that brings out as many tears as it does smiles. Some of the characters are doomed while others are able to hold on to hope with heroic patience. Frank Darabont saw something in Shawshank that not even the author Stephen King saw. Even more impressive was how Darabont was able to bring it to life and cram it full of so much human emotion. Even the simple act of a few guys having a few beers after a hard day's work feels profound. On top of all of that human emotion, it is a heist film. The heist happens right under our noses but it is only when we open the display case and see the missing jewel that we realize we've been had. All the seemingly insignificant pieces instantly fitting together in a way that seems so obvious. From the depths of hell, Andy Dufresne stole back his life. 

1995 Best Picture: Toy Story

You've got a friend in me

Son of a building block 

To infinity and beyond!

The Best Picture Oscar has never gone to an animated film but given their universal success and love, that seems wrong. Rarely have any characters played by actors been met with love and staying power of the characters we have drawn.  So, if we are looking to break the mold and honor our beloved cartoon characters, Toy Story is the movie to do it with. It has everything required of an all-time classic. Woody and Buzz are as popular as any 90s movie characters. The supporting toys like Rex, Hamm and Mr. Potato Head deliver genuine laughs and are backed by great voices like Don Rickles, R Lee Emory, and Jim Varney. It packs just the right amount of humor and imagination to appeal to adults and children alike. However, it wasn't just good casting and a fun story that pushes it to greatness. Toy Story looked unlike anything else at the time. The movie put Pixar on the map and changed animation forever. Toy Story created a movie universe, a movie look and style (the adult humor disguised and dressed up for kids) that changed the future of movies as much as Star Wars. The battles in Braveheart look incredible and the twist in the Usual Suspect was a jaw dropper but none of those movies left the impact that Toy Story has. 
Not my pick for either, but i can't argue that strongly. I voted for Titanic in the 97 because of the achievement of making it and creating awe. The achievement in Toy Story is not the animation but for establishing that animation didn't have to be a cartoon. So, while Pixar helped to kill the kind of movies i like to see, i have to admit that some of the best current story-telling is done by them. And it created "awwww"

Watched the 2nd half of Shawshank the other night for the 1st time in a couple of years, but the 417th total. I find it very Gumpish in that i'm aware i'm being manipulated the whole time but i just.....don't......care. This is the kind of picture Pixar killed, more or less, but the Boomer turn at culture is well over. nufced

Watched the 2nd half of Shawshank the other night for the 1st time in a couple of years, but the 417th total. I find it very Gumpish in that i'm aware i'm being manipulated the whole time but i just.....don't......care. This is the kind of picture Pixar killed, more or less, but the Boomer turn at culture is well over. nufced
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread