What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official 2007 Chicago Bears Thread (1 Viewer)

Sister Havana

Footballguy
Since I couldn't find a discussion thread for the Bears, I'm creating one. There's certainly no shortage of things to discuss, so let's discuss them!

What do you think the upcoming season holds in store for the Bears?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I couldn't find a discussion thread for the Bears, I'm creating one. There's certainly no shortage of things to discuss, so let's discuss them!What do you think the upcoming season holds in store for the Bears?
I predict....that the Bears will draft Ben Grubbs and Zach Miller with their first two picks in the NFL Draft.I predict....that Briggs will Shut His Mouth...and accept the pay increase from $700,000 to $7.2 MillionI predict.....That Cedric Benson will prove exactly why he was the 4th overall pick in the draft and Bears fans will barely remember that RB that they traded away.I Predict....that Rex Grossman will be much improved in his decision making and will have a better Recieving Core with Muhammad, more experienced Berrian, and Mark Bradley stepping up and proving his second round draft status.I Predict....that Mike Brown and Adam Archuleta will be the Bears starting Safties........For the Entire Season!!!I Predict....that Adewayle Ogunleye will be released along with Fred Miller next offseason.

That would the the best case scenario there, benson.

I, for one, am greatly concerned about my beloved team. I feel like a let down year is coming.

Our strength of the team (defense) has a lot of questions. Defensive line is a mess, OLBs - who knows, and don't get me started on the safety position.

Throw in an aging o-line, an unproven runner, and an inconsistent QB, and the Bears could easily be 5-11 next year.

I think that they will draft the best OL and DL with their first two picks, but don't be surprised if Angelo pulls his "special" move and trade down.

If this team stays healthy, and Grossman can prove to be a little more consistent, I think that they can win their division again (mainly because its weak) and I think that 10-6 season sounds about right.

STOP the Super Bowl Loser's slide?

Seattle did that last year. Broke a several year long trend of Super Bowl losers not even making the playoffs. They not only made the playoffs, the WON a game. ....or did Dallas lose the game? :jawdrop: It's all Terry Glenn's fault I tell ya....

OK - You all know what a homer I am.

I think this looks to be a down year for the Bears. All the uncertainty and then the strength of schedule...........only hope IMO is if the Bears upgrade the D-Line significantly in the draft.

But IMO even that is going to be putting bubble gum in a hole in the dyke.

The first 4 games IMO are going to be brutal for this team.

Sep 9 @San Diego 4:15pm

Sep 16 Kansas City 4:15pm

Sep 23 Dallas 8:15pm

Sep 30 @Detroit 1:00pm

I don't underestimate @ Det because the Bears haven't been doing that well there over the past few years.

Depending on how beat up they are after that stretch they then go into this

Oct 7 @Green Bay 8:15pm

Oct 14 Minnesota 1:00pm

Oct 21 @Philadelphia 4:15pm

Oct 28 Detroit 12:00pm

@ Phili in late october is tough. I honestly expect them to be 3-5 or 4-4 at this point.

Get the Bye week 9 into this

Nov 11 @Oakland 4:15pm

Nov 18 @Seattle 8:15pm

Nov 25 Denver 1:00pm

Dec 2 N.Y. Giants 4:15pm

I expect Oakland to be much improved this year as I do Seattle. IMO 4-8 or 5-7 at this point.

Then we wrap up with this.

Dec 6 @Washington 8:15pm

Dec 17 @Minnesota 8:30pm

Dec 23 Green Bay 1:00pm

Dec 30 New Orleans 1:00pm

I can't remember the last time the Bears won at Washington. Nice that we get to play at home in December, too bad its going to be ####### December. Hmm, Farve in cold weather games.........NO with the revenge card.........

Im thinking 5-11 or 6-10.

Hate to say it, but thats the way I see it. I think it will be Minnesota's year in the division.

Regarding Ced - I'll wait to see who they pick up to play with him. I don't think he can handle the load himself.

I think Rex will play inspired ball this year ~ it is a contract year for him.

I think the defense is in trouble (see call for D-Lineman above). Add in the D-Lineman and I think the D carries this team as far as they can take it again this year. But with all the extra games last year, I just expect this team to break down this year. They are so dinged up already and the season hasn't even started yet.

Why is their such a worry about the Defensive Line?

At DE the Bears have Adewayle Ogunleye, he has underacheived since coming to Chicago(either that or he overacheived with the Dolphins). But he still has the skills to get 12+ sacks per season.

Alex Brown is very streaky, however he has improved every year he has been in the league.

Mark Anderson had about 12 sacks this past season as a rookie. It could just be his start.

Israel Idonojie was resigned by the Bears last offseason for a reason and I have every faith in Jerry Angelo regarding defensive talent.

At DT the Bears have Tommie Harris, coming back off of an injury. Tank Johnson is in jail. However, both can return to the Bears and be at 100% before the season starts, which is all that matters. The Bears signed Anthony Adams, who fits their penatrating scheme perfectly, and replaces Ian Scott(who I feel was undervalued in Chicago) but he was just a plugger. Oh and the Bears lost A. Boone(big deal). The Bears also have Dusty Dvorchek coming back, he was injured all last season, however he was the Bears 3rd round draft pick last year. He also fits the penatrating defensive scheme very well and is almost like a free 3rd round pick added to this draft class.

That is four talented players and four talented backups at each position.

Could the Bears have the best defensive line in the NFL next year?........Yes

Will they have the worst if nobody returns to form and injuries happen?.....No

Every team has issues, but the Bears D-Line is very talented.

If I wanted to add anything to the Bears D-Line, it would be one more DT and an edge rusher. However, it is not a need, just a want and makes me feel greedy.

STOP the Super Bowl Loser's slide?Seattle did that last year. Broke a several year long trend of Super Bowl losers not even making the playoffs. They not only made the playoffs, the WON a game. ....or did Dallas lose the game? :thumbup: It's all Terry Glenn's fault I tell ya....
They did make the playoffs, but they clearly suffered a slide last year. Injuries and inconsistancy ruined what could have been their year to win it all, because when completely healthy, that team was far and away better than every team in the NFC, except POSSIBLY Chicago. So I'd say that until a SuperBowl loser has a great season the following year, the SB loser "slide" is still in effect as of now.

random thoughts ...

1 - rex can't be worse, can he ? considering how well they did last year, that can only be a good thing ...

b - i think benson will be fine. the bears didn't need to get rid of jones, but they did. they believe in benson and they know more than i do.

random thought #3 - the bears defense suffered last year after losing 2 pro bowlers, tommie harris & mike brown. take 2 pro bowlers off any team, and they'll surely do worse. now these guys are back. the bears D should be very good again (assuming they get this briggs situation figured out one way or another)

anyway, i don't think there's any more uncertainty this year than there was last year, but their strength of schedule is definitely tougher. i see them losing a few more games, but still winning the divison because all the teams in their division are stuck playing the strong afc west.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of question marks and some tough matchups throughout the year. But barring a run by another NFC North team, I don't see the Bears losing the division.

10-6. Maybe 11-5 with a break or two. A Super Bowl return is a possibility, especially in a weak NFC, but a long shot.

Lots of question marks and some tough matchups throughout the year. But barring a run by another NFC North team, I don't see the Bears losing the division. 10-6. Maybe 11-5 with a break or two. A Super Bowl return is a possibility, especially in a weak NFC, but a long shot.
i agree on the 10-6if they really tank for some reason, i see them going no lower than 8-8 (and that could even win the division). if they get as many breaks as they did last season, i see the max wins at 14 again.

benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Why is their such a worry about the Defensive Line? Tank Johnson is in jail. However, both can return to the Bears and be at 100% before the season starts, which is all that matters.
I think Tank is going down the same road as Pacman as soon as he is out of jail.LAUNCH

I don't like starting at SD. That looks like a loss.

I see the Bears D leading the league in turnovers. Romo, T. Jackson 2x, Favre 2x, Oakland QB, Kitna 2x, Eli, Cutler, Campbell....my god, that's a lot of pick 6's there.

Hester will be lucky to score 3 TDs this year, which is still good but will be considered a disapppointment.

I like the prospects for the D line. Harris hopefully back. Anderson creates pressure. Ogun has the talent and came on late. The QBs above also get sacked a ton, so this bodes well.

I also like the Archuletta signing. Fine, he can't cover. But he can tackle and hit, good enough for stopping the run if they play him tight like they said they want to.

The O concerns me. I actually think Rex had a pretty good year last year and he will be lucky to duplicate it, which will send the Chicago media lynch mob after him for sure. Benson is a good back, but I do question his mental and physical toughness, which doesn't bode well either. Mush is another year older. Berrian blew up, can he do it again? They will need another WR to come on this year.

D again will determine the success of the season.

Lovie Smith answers email questions from fans

Bears coach Lovie Smith answers email questions from fans exclusively on ChicagoBears.com:

With Lance Briggs’ contract situation unresolved, do you think that Jamar Williams or Michael Okwo is ready to take over at weakside linebacker and play at a high level?

Douglas, USAF

Europe

I think both of them in time will play at a high level in the National Football League. They have all of the qualities and all of the things we look for at that position. They’re smart players, they’re quick and they’re playmakers. Both of them have good ability.

Rex Grossman has been focusing on fundamentals in offseason workouts.

What is being done to correct Rex Grossman’s mechanics? I’m not sure his mistakes are the result of bad reads on his part, but more a problem with fundamentals.

Patrick K.

San Diego, California

I think you can trace most problems back to fundamentals. What are we doing to correct those fundamental problems? (Quarterbacks coach) Pep Hamilton is doing a super job working with Rex in the offseason. That’s the way you improve that: You identify the problem. We’ve done that with him and we’re working on that in practice.

I feel that Tank Johnson is a good guy. I know he had a misdemeanor gun charge (which he should have avoided). But I really don’t think his issues are as serious as some other players who have been suspended (or not suspended like Michael Vick). Do you think the commissioner is going to take into account his time served, his apology and his acceptance of his actions?

Rich H.

I hope the commissioner will take into consideration not only the time served and the house arrest—but the couple of games we held him out last season. Tank has paid his debt to society down at Cook County (Jail). I know the commissioner will take everything into consideration as he makes his decision.

How are Mike Brown and Tommie Harris progressing in their rehab from injuries and when do you anticipate they will be cleared to begin participating in practice?

Brandon

Las Vegas, Nevada

Their rehab is coming along well, very well as a matter of fact. We assume that both players will practice with us before training camp.

Do you think that Garrett Wolfe will become the second-string running back behind Cedric Benson? I know that Adrian Peterson is probably best suited for that role, but he is a monster on special teams.

Chris M.

Bonaire, Georgia

I like our three running backs. They all have a purpose. We don’t want to take Adrian out of his role with the special teams. But you’ve got to let rookies come in and see what they can do. We like Garrett and we have an idea where he’ll end up, but we’ll let it all play out.

What is your favorite thing to do in the city of Chicago when you’re not coaching?

Katie

Chicago

There are a lot of great restaurants in the city. We try to get downtown as much as possible.

What do you like about Chris Leak and what are his chances of earning a roster spot?

Bernie M.

Rocky Mount, North Carolina

What I like about him is his history. I’m talking about his history of being a four-year starter at Florida, leading his team to a national championship and playing in an offense where he had to do a lot of different things, from running a little option to throwing the football. I like all of those things. You also need something that you can’t really describe; “it” or whatever and I think he has “it.” We’re going to let him compete with the rest of the guys like we do at all positions.

How frequently do you expect to use Greg Olsen and Desmond Clark in two tight end formations and do you think that Olsen will earn the starting job sometime this season?

Paul K.

Rolling Meadows, Illinois

There’s open competition at all positions. Of course, Dez Clark had a great year last year. We like both of them. You will definitely see Dez and Greg on the field at the same time quite a bit.

Why is their such a worry about the Defensive Line? Tank Johnson is in jail. However, both can return to the Bears and be at 100% before the season starts, which is all that matters.
I think Tank is going down the same road as Pacman as soon as he is out of jail.LAUNCH
Doubt he will be out more than 4 games at most, with 2 being likely. He did say he wants to be the "Man of the Year" in his press conference.

I don't understand why the Bears will have such a significant drop off. The only notable person they lost was Thomas Jones and we replaced him with a more talented RB that fits a power running game better.

The Briggs situation will work itself out.

Added to the Defense.

Adam Archuleta, Will he start? Maybe, but the Bears still have Mike Brown, Chris Harris, and Daniel Manning(if needed at S). However Lovie has coached him before and knows what he is capable of.

Dan Bazuin, a relentless passrusher in the Aaron Kampman mold, but more talented. Remember the last pass rusher Angelo brought in was named Mark Anderson....haha.

Michael Okwo, a smart and athletic WLB that will team up with Jamar Williams to take Brigg's spot, if he holds out.

Anthony Adams, a starting DT for the 49ers last season. He fits the gap penetrating scheme better than Ian Scott and should improve our DT play.

Possibly two new starters(that are based on improvements and not departures) and a new pass rusher will improve the defense.

Added to the offense.

Greg Olsen, he has to be the most talented TE in Chicago since Ditka. Running a 4.5 will definitely help Rex with the middle of the field.

Garrett Wolfe, he led the nation in rushing last season. He is the best speed RB to come to Chicago since....Robert Green?....but even he was just a jitter-bug.

Devin Hester, he gets moved over to offense into a Reggie Bush type of role. Just put it in this kids hands and let him make plays.

Josh Beekman, one of the better Guards in the draft.

Adding three speedy playmakers will only improve the offense and give them more options than last season.

The Bears have lost Thomas Jones and Ian Scott, but they replaced them with more talented players that have a better fit to the Bears schemes. How does that account for a disappointment?

For me it boils down to Grossman and Benson. I think the defense will be just fine next season, especially if we can get a full season out of Tommie Harris and (doubtful) Mike Brown. It is deep and talented, regardless of what Briggs decides to do. The special teams should be good again, though I am expecting fewer touchdowns from Hester (but good field position as teams kick away from him).

But what will happen on O? I am hoping that Rex will improve his mechanics & decision-making since last season was his first full one, but he has me real gun-shy about predicting that. The 3000 yards and 23 touchdowns were great, but the 20 interceptions (and the terrible nature of many of them - just poor, stupid throws as opposed to good defensive plays) are a bit daunting. Gotta trust Lovie, I guess.

Benson has had a ton of criticism his first two seasons and hasn't done much to dispel it. I don't think the Bears running game can survive with a Peterson-Wolfe duo, so Benson must live up to his #4 pick status. I think he will do a good job replacing Jones as the lead back, though I don't think Benson-Peterson-Wolfe will be as effective as Jones-Benson last season.

I think this team will be a Wild Card at worst (and that's only if Minnesota finds a quarterback and the atmosphere around the Bears gets messed up by Briggs and some of the other players who want or deserve more money, like Vasher; Chicago will probably own the NFC North again), and the ceiling here is Super Bowl champ given their defense and IF Grossman and Benson step up.

I don't understand why the Bears will have such a significant drop off. The only notable person they lost was Thomas Jones and we replaced him with a more talented RB that fits a power running game better.The Briggs situation will work itself out.Added to the Defense.Adam Archuleta, Will he start? Maybe, but the Bears still have Mike Brown, Chris Harris, and Daniel Manning(if needed at S). However Lovie has coached him before and knows what he is capable of.Dan Bazuin, a relentless passrusher in the Aaron Kampman mold, but more talented. Remember the last pass rusher Angelo brought in was named Mark Anderson....haha.Michael Okwo, a smart and athletic WLB that will team up with Jamar Williams to take Brigg's spot, if he holds out.Anthony Adams, a starting DT for the 49ers last season. He fits the gap penetrating scheme better than Ian Scott and should improve our DT play.Possibly two new starters(that are based on improvements and not departures) and a new pass rusher will improve the defense.Added to the offense. Greg Olsen, he has to be the most talented TE in Chicago since Ditka. Running a 4.5 will definitely help Rex with the middle of the field.Garrett Wolfe, he led the nation in rushing last season. He is the best speed RB to come to Chicago since....Robert Green?....but even he was just a jitter-bug.Devin Hester, he gets moved over to offense into a Reggie Bush type of role. Just put it in this kids hands and let him make plays.Josh Beekman, one of the better Guards in the draft.Adding three speedy playmakers will only improve the offense and give them more options than last season.The Bears have lost Thomas Jones and Ian Scott, but they replaced them with more talented players that have a better fit to the Bears schemes. How does that account for a disappointment?
Because it isnt just what the Bears did.Remember how Arizona almost beat the Bears? Big receiver on our smaller CBs. Say hello to Calvin Johnson and Sydney Rice. 2x.Other teams got more talented also, but more to the point, they geared their drafts to give them players to specefically beat the Bears. There are a bunch of reasons why few teams make it back to the superbowl, especially the teams that lost. From what I have seen and heard from the offseason, the Bears are probably looking at a rough year.

I don't understand why the Bears will have such a significant drop off. The only notable person they lost was Thomas Jones and we replaced him with a more talented RB that fits a power running game better.The Briggs situation will work itself out.Added to the Defense.Adam Archuleta, Will he start? Maybe, but the Bears still have Mike Brown, Chris Harris, and Daniel Manning(if needed at S). However Lovie has coached him before and knows what he is capable of.Dan Bazuin, a relentless passrusher in the Aaron Kampman mold, but more talented. Remember the last pass rusher Angelo brought in was named Mark Anderson....haha.Michael Okwo, a smart and athletic WLB that will team up with Jamar Williams to take Brigg's spot, if he holds out.Anthony Adams, a starting DT for the 49ers last season. He fits the gap penetrating scheme better than Ian Scott and should improve our DT play.Possibly two new starters(that are based on improvements and not departures) and a new pass rusher will improve the defense.Added to the offense. Greg Olsen, he has to be the most talented TE in Chicago since Ditka. Running a 4.5 will definitely help Rex with the middle of the field.Garrett Wolfe, he led the nation in rushing last season. He is the best speed RB to come to Chicago since....Robert Green?....but even he was just a jitter-bug.Devin Hester, he gets moved over to offense into a Reggie Bush type of role. Just put it in this kids hands and let him make plays.Josh Beekman, one of the better Guards in the draft.Adding three speedy playmakers will only improve the offense and give them more options than last season.The Bears have lost Thomas Jones and Ian Scott, but they replaced them with more talented players that have a better fit to the Bears schemes. How does that account for a disappointment?
Because it isnt just what the Bears did.Remember how Arizona almost beat the Bears? Big receiver on our smaller CBs. Say hello to Calvin Johnson and Sydney Rice. 2x.Other teams got more talented also, but more to the point, they geared their drafts to give them players to specefically beat the Bears. There are a bunch of reasons why few teams make it back to the superbowl, especially the teams that lost. From what I have seen and heard from the offseason, the Bears are probably looking at a rough year.
Arizona didn't almost beat the Bears, the Bears almost beat themselves. Bigger WR's haven't hurt the Bears D as much as the smaller quicker WR's have (Steve Smith, Joey Galloway, etc). The Bears have a 6-1 CB in Charles Tillman and he OWNED Randy Moss. Plus I don't worry too much about rookie WR's....they tend to bust quite frequently. Ask the same Lions (Rodgers, Williams) and Vikings (Williamson).

Users who are viewing this thread