What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Non Streaming Defenses (Who are they right now?) (1 Viewer)

Futz

Footballguy
We always talk about the weekly streamers but there isn't a lot of discussion about the defenses that are said to be auto starts and almost matchup proof. One of the main reasons I started this is because my drafted defense (Philly) which I generally like for the season, goes on the road to KC which isn't looking like an ideal matchup. Are they a hold despite the matchup? Who are the defenses you start regardless. Here are mine based off of preseason expectations and week 1 evaluations in no particular order:

1. Denver -- Until they prove otherwise, I start them weekly

2. Seahawks -- Perennial D that people draft too early but usually hold their own in most matchups

3. Cardinals -- Always big on sacks, turnovers, and TDs but losing DJ may put them on the field more and more which could lead to some struggles

4. Texans -- They sure do look good on paper but because of injuries and inept QB play, it's just not translating. They may be off this list as soon as this Thursday

5. Patriots -- I'm not ready to push the panic button yet here but they did get exposed and if the O doesn't keep them off the field, they may be droppable very soon

6. Steelers -- Void of playmakers the last couple of years, that all may be changing and Pitt should be a strong AFC contender who will be ahead a lot of the time

7. Ravens -- Good D per usual but the O is still suspect. Shaky autostart to begin the year but this could improve as time goes on

8. Philly -- The Jim Schwartz led defense continued to show the ability to make plays week 1 but KC on the road is no joke. Matchup proof? Not sure but we'll find out soon

Ravens will be a top 3 set and forget fantasy defense this year. They were a top 7 defense last year. They added 2 defensive backs through free agency and drafted 4 defensive players with their top 4 picks. If they are available add them now before it is to late.

It looks like the jags have arrived.  They are keeping a leash on bortles and cutting down o his mistakes.  Tough defense.  Ground and pound with fournette. I think they can be a top 10 defense this year if not top 5. 

Eta - look at the jags schedule.  Very friendly for their defense!  

Last edited by a moderator:
High on the Ravens but they have a murderous run after this week.

I never worry about defenses because I only ever keep one and don't have to sweat the bye week and what I'm gonna do. 

Are the Chiefs not considered an auto start DST this season?

Had a clunker week 1, but they did last year too and finished as the top DST (at least based on a couple of my leagues scoring settings)

I like your list.  Just too early to give up on a few of those.  So much streaming going on that grabbing a good one & holding is now an afterthought.   Only problem with streaming is if most are doing it it becomes more expensive to grab a weekly good one.  IMHO

Are the Chiefs not considered an auto start DST this season?

Had a clunker week 1, but they did last year too and finished as the top DST (at least based on a couple of my leagues scoring settings)
Losing Eric Berry hurts.

Amazed no one's mentioned the Rams. Wade Phillips Ds are always strongest in their first year, and they're getting Donald back this week. Drafted them in two leagues, including one where I reached for them a round early.

Yes, take the Colts game with a grain of salt, and the offense could end up dragging them down, though McVay should at least make them functional on that side of the ball. 

I'm going to ride them until they prove me wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread