What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

Tonight's episode of The Midnight Special that I'm watching (1/11/74) has a high proportion of acts I've heard of -- Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show (host), The Spinners, Canned Heat, Jo Jo Gunne, Leo Sayer, Livingston Taylor and El Chicano.

I'm not sure it's possible to be any more stoned than the Dr. Hook guys were and remain standing. Co-frontman Dennis Locorriere: "If you bought this last 30 minutes, you'll buy anything, man." Wiki says they partied their way into bankruptcy around this time, and you can tell.
This was Leo Sayer's first US appearance -- they mention he is about to embark on his first US tour -- and he's dressed a mime for some reason*. He's also singing more gruffly than what we heard from him on his mid- and late-70s hits (where he sounds like an Elton John imitator).
El Chicano was an LA band consisting mostly of guys of Mexican descent. Here on their first song they played forthright funk rock, not too different from Rare Earth and that ilk, and on their second they played an instrumental with more of a Santana vibe. Wikipedia says they released a cover of "Brown-Eyed Girl" as a single, but that was not performed here.
Speaking of covers, Livingston Taylor, James' similarly-voiced brother, plays his version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," in a jazz/folk kind of arrangement.
Also speaking of covers, Canned Heat perform a Fats Domino medley.
Jo Jo Gunne is what Jay Ferguson did after Spirit and before "Thunder Island," and it sounds nothing like the psychedelia of the former or the yacht rock of the latter. It's hard-charging, energetic boogie rock.
It's mentioned that the Spinners' self-titled first album for Atlantic, released about 9 months before this broadcast, had produced six (!) hit singles. The two biggest ones (I'll Be Around and Could It Be I'm Falling in Love) aren't performed here, but the two that were -- Ghetto Child and How Could I Let You Get Away -- are sublime. On the latter, Philippe Wynne uses the coda to do his Sam Cooke, Otis Redding and Al Green impressions.

* - Wiki says his career in the UK took off after he appeared this way on British TV.

Not sure if @Zegras11 is interested in doing another of his artist threads?
Hi JML, I am, but have to think about the timing of it all.

I got back last Tuesday from a week in Florida (only six MLB parks left to see), and have been trying to catch up on this thread.

When do you think would be a good day to start? May 1? May 15? June 1? LMK
Im easy (thats what she said) in all this.
If you are ready to do an artists thread, i will have an artist or 2 ready
If @krista4 has an idea ready to go for a draft/MAD countdown or anyone else has a draft i will consider what i can offer.
I usually have an idea floating around in this birds nest of a brain, but all i can think of is the sex, drugs and rock n roll one which got rejected by admin here.
Could always clear it with the Sysop first.

Tonight's episode of The Midnight Special that I'm watching (1/11/74) has a high proportion of acts I've heard of -- Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show (host), The Spinners, Canned Heat, Jo Jo Gunne, Leo Sayer, Livingston Taylor and El Chicano.

I'm not sure it's possible to be any more stoned than the Dr. Hook guys were and remain standing. Co-frontman Dennis Locorriere: "If you bought this last 30 minutes, you'll buy anything, man." Wiki says they partied their way into bankruptcy around this time, and you can tell.
This was Leo Sayer's first US appearance -- they mention he is about to embark on his first US tour -- and he's dressed a mime for some reason*. He's also singing more gruffly than what we heard from him on his mid- and late-70s hits (where he sounds like an Elton John imitator).
El Chicano was an LA band consisting mostly of guys of Mexican descent. Here on their first song they played forthright funk rock, not too different from Rare Earth and that ilk, and on their second they played an instrumental with more of a Santana vibe. Wikipedia says they released a cover of "Brown-Eyed Girl" as a single, but that was not performed here.
Speaking of covers, Livingston Taylor, James' similarly-voiced brother, plays his version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," in a jazz/folk kind of arrangement.
Jo Jo Gunne is what Jay Ferguson did after Spirit and before "Thunder Island," and it sounds nothing like the psychedelia of the former or the yacht rock of the latter. It's hard-charging, energetic boogie rock.
It's mentioned that the Spinners' self-titled first album for Atlantic, released about 9 months before this broadcast, had produced six (!) hit singles. The two biggest ones (I'll Be Around and Could It Be I'm Falling in Love) aren't performed here, but the two that were -- Ghetto Child and How Could I Let You Get Away -- are sublime. On the latter, Philippe Wynne uses the coda to do his Sam Cooke, Otis Redding and Al Green impressions.

* - Wiki says his career in the UK took off after he appeared this way on British TV.
Jo Jo Gunne, was a solid, short-lived band, but the sum of the parts was probably greater than the whole. By this performance, Matt and Mark Andes had departed (Mark was just about to join Firefall at the time of this performance), and it was Jay Ferguson carrying the torch - I think they broke up not too long afterwards.

Jo Jo Gunne, was a solid, short-lived band, but the sum of the parts was probably greater than the whole. By this performance, Matt and Mark Andes had departed (Mark was just about to join Firefall at the time of this performance), and it was Jay Ferguson carrying the torch - I think they broke up not too long afterwards.
Yep. Their fourth album would come out a few months after this performance, and they disbanded by the end of 1974.

And yes, Binky, Run, Run, Run was one of the songs they played, even though it was more than 2 years old by the time of this performance. It was their only hit.

The opening track (and title track) to Leo Sayer's debut album Just A Boy is pretty meh, but beyond that it's a bonafide masterpiece. Easily a top 50 album for the decade, and if someone ranked it in their top 10 I would not bat an eyelash.

@krista4 You'll be very amused by something on tonight's Jeopardy.

Contestant admits they know nothing about music but selects music category ("That Band's an Institution") anyway. What follows is hilarious:

Clue: Formed in 1976, they're turning the Venetian in Vegas into a love shack with a 2024 residency

Contestant: Who are the Bee Gees?

Ken: You were correct for one syllable.

I got back last Tuesday from a week in Florida (only six MLB parks left to see), and have been trying to catch up on this thread.

If @krista4 has an idea ready to go for a draft/MAD countdown or anyone else has a draft i will consider what i can offer.
I usually have an idea floating around in this birds nest of a brain, but all i can think of is the sex, drugs and rock n roll one which got rejected by admin here.

I love the sex drugs & rock'n'roll one, and also the idea for a summer-themed draft!

Oh, and they had another one that was even more ridiculous! (But didn't have a fun response from Ken.)

Clue: This, I call it this, that this "One Step Beyond" & "Our House" band formed in 1976 is still touring with its original members

Contestant: Who is ... Foghorn Leghorn?
I just can't figure out why she rang in at all.

Oh, and they had another one that was even more ridiculous! (But didn't have a fun response from Ken.)

Clue: This, I call it this, that this "One Step Beyond" & "Our House" band formed in 1976 is still touring with its original members

I just can't figure out why she rang in at all.
Impulse control issues? At least she stopped after those first two.

I finally got through it all!

Congrats!! :pickle:

What's next, everyone? I don't want to have to wander into the other threads here. So much self-righteousness and the like. Perhaps I'll seek haven in the movie threads for a while. :)
Must not have been in the movie threads in a bit...definitely some pretentious in there :lmao: GMTAN is bit more active. I have so much travel coming up, work and personal, so no way I can do any playlists until at least July.

I love the sex drugs & rock'n'roll one, and also the idea for a summer-themed draft!
Cant do the one about Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll.
Categories for the first 2 are a problem with management.
Eg - Songs about Oral, Songs about Cocaine use.
I cant even think of a way to dress it up to pass censorship

Are you sure the drug one was a problem? We have done songs about drugs in the past without mod interference. I thought your idea was axed due to some of the sex categories that may have been perceived as raunchy.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot. Not worth trying IMO.

Are you sure the drug one was a problem? We have done songs about drugs in the past without mod interference. I thought your idea was axed due to some of the sex categories that may have been perceived as raunchy.
The sex one is a given. Hardly pg.
Joe is very strict on glorifying drug use, which a lot of musicians do.
He has had family members die from it so is perhaps more tuned in than most.
The comment on why it was shut down last time was very explicit about it being 2 categories, not just one.

I could skirt around it if i really tried, but its playing with fire and i dont want to get half way through it and then get it axed. And me suspended.
No point doing a sex, drugs and rock n roll one without all 3 categories
One of the major problems was it was in the title. If we started a music draft with a more subtle title, maybe, but at some stage someone's gonna read it and its over

Contestant admits they know nothing about music but selects music category ("That Band's an Institution") anyway. What follows is hilarious:

Clue: Formed in 1976, they're turning the Venetian in Vegas into a love shack with a 2024 residency

Today the same contestant got docked for mispronouncing "zydeco" as "zyteco". :laugh:

I'd believe it was shtick except this time
it almost cost them the game

Today the same contestant got docked for mispronouncing "zydeco" as "zyteco". :laugh:

I actually just watched this one!

I actually just watched this one!
I could beat her ... if it wasn't a runaway going into Final Jeopardy and the category was music.

Is there a list of countdowns that have been done before, or could someone easily compile one? I have a concept that could be fun in the event that krista, zegras or whoever doesn't want to jump straight back into a countdown that I'd be happy to admin, but want to make sure something similar has not been done before to avoid rehashing

Is there a list of countdowns that have been done before, or could someone easily compile one? I have a concept that could be fun in the event that krista, zegras or whoever doesn't want to jump straight back into a countdown that I'd be happy to admin, but want to make sure something similar has not been done before to avoid rehashing
We did American, British, Covers and I believe an international.

We did American, British, Covers and I believe an international.
Ok, I'm aware of those although I missed the USA#1 variant, I just wasn't sure whether there have been more big group countdowns beyond those and the two rounds of artist specific ones we've had already

This is from 7 years ago. I just havent been bothered updating it since

Here are some more:

Desert Island 15th Anniversary (2020)
Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft (2020)
This Is Their Best Song! Draft (2021)
Music Draft - Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Garbage List (2021)
U2 Community Rankings (2021-22)
FBG Beatles Song Countdowns (combined 1-172, 1-25 lists, 1-64 lists) (2022)
FBG's Top 81 Led Zeppelin Songs (2022)
Desert Island Song Draft -- Alphabet Thievery (2023)
FBG's Top 100 Pink Floyd Songs (2023)

In addition to the things done under the MAD umbrella -- top 31 songs by US artists, top 31 songs by British Isles artists, top 31 songs by everyone else, top 31 songs by a single artist #1, top 31 songs by a single artist #2, and top 31 cover songs.

Here are some more:

In addition to the things done under the MAD umbrella -- top 31 songs by US artists, top 31 songs by British Isles artists, top 31 songs by everyone else, top 31 songs by a single artist #1, top 31 songs by a single artist #2, and top 31 cover songs.
Thanks for that.
There are all the yearly drafts. Loads of the current year in music drafts.
Other artists have had rundowns.
Its a major undertaking to be thorough
I ran (so far away) from the board for years and missed so many music drafts.
For a considerable time i was in every one.
We have been doing this for a long, long time.
I didnt even start on music drafts until I think a 1982 draft happened and I took Laura Branigans Gloria as my first pick
Because we have changed board software multiple times, many will have disappeared as well.
How many pages of threads do we have?

Edit checked. 681 pages of threads but only since 2013.
All those threads I linked are gone 😭

Here are some more:

Thanks for that.
I didnt even start on music drafts until I think a 1982 draft happened and I took Laura Branigans Gloria as my first pick
Because we have changed board software multiple times, many will have disappeared as well.

Apricot of nothing, I heard an Aussie artist Saturday I don't think I've ever heard before named Royel Otis. I think the song's title was "Foam". What do you know about them?

Here are some more:

Thanks for that.

Apricot of nothing, I heard an Aussie artist Saturday I don't think I've ever heard before named Royel Otis. I think the song's title was "Foam". What do you know about them?
If its from the 21st century probably nothing lol.
Aussie music generally doesnt hit me until its successful internationally. The UK is my music heartland

Been slowly working my way through Courtney Love's new six-part podcast on BBC radio. I say slowly because, even for an on-the-record Courtneyphile like myself, it can be a lot. Each episode is basically a mini-bio of various periods of her life, interspersed with 10 songs she picks that were particularly meaningful to her at the time. It's moderated - as much as Courtney can be my moderated - by one of my favorite podcasters (Rob Harvilla) and is full of great tunes and great stories that are likely at least 50 percent true (e.g., in her late teens, Courtney lived in Julian Cope's Liverpool flat and one of her best buds was Pete Burns - there are pictures to prove it).

Anyway, why am I posting this here? She kicked off today's pod with this amazing Joy Division cover by Nerina Pallot:

Love Will Tear Us Apart - Nerina Pallot

Been slowly working my way through Courtney Love's new six-part podcast on BBC radio. I say slowly because, even for an on-the-record Courtneyphile like myself, it can be a lot. Each episode is basically a mini-bio of various periods of her life, interspersed with 10 songs she picks that were particularly meaningful to her at the time. It's moderated - as much as Courtney can be my moderated - by one of my favorite podcasters (Rob Harvilla) and is full of great tunes and great stories that are likely at least 50 percent true (e.g., in her late teens, Courtney lived in Julian Cope's Liverpool flat and one of her best buds was Pete Burns - there are pictures to prove it).

Anyway, why am I posting this here? She kicked off today's pod with this amazing Joy Division cover by Nerina Pallot:

I didn't know you were a Courtneyphile. :oldunsure:

I didn't know you were a Courtneyphile. :oldunsure:
It doesn’t surprise me since he’s fanatical about 80s and 90s “alternative” music.

Live Through This is a great album, for what that’s worth.

Users who are viewing this thread