What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (6 Viewers)

@krista4 I just discovered something truly shocking and I need a ruling. Aretha's version of Let It Be came out before The Beatles? How did neither of us know this? Is my #1 song disqualified?

ETA: sorry if this already came up

Well, whaddya know. You want the Beatles version instead? :excited:

I almost used this loophole to take the George Harrison version of "My Sweet Lord," since Billy Preston's version came out first.
I actually will take Aretha’s version of The Long and Winding Road

That at least preserves your data and artist counts
Drat. I was hoping for Round 32.

figure I can throw this in now that we're done

I didn't know this cover existed (should have ...) but Zappa's cover of "Whipping Post" would have been in my top 5

love the song, and Zappa makes it so Zappa while staying true to the original

I miss @neal cassady
Miss you more. Not a great cover by any means, but this may be appropriate, given Binky’s inclusion of Frank and your favorite band..

This is no guarantee I’ll attend since life stuff brings uncertainty, but friend of the thread Paul Weller is coming to North America in the fall for the first time since 2017. He starts on 9/6 in North Jersey and is in the Philly area on 9/10.

And of course Neil is on tour (at age 78) for the first time since the pandemic.

Hasn’t it been a while since you went to a show? It’s been years for me, so I’m not judging—I just seem to be under the impression you haven’t been in a while.

I hear Neil tickets are expensive. Like hundreds of dollars for one.
Yes, I mentioned that in the pop culture thread. Expense is a reason I may still sit out. But if I were to try to get to something, it would probably be one of these.

This is no guarantee I’ll attend since life stuff brings uncertainty, but friend of the thread Paul Weller is coming to North America in the fall for the first time since 2017. He starts on 9/6 in North Jersey and is in the Philly area on 9/10.

And of course Neil is on tour (at age 78) for the first time since the pandemic.

Hasn’t it been a while since you went to a show? It’s been years for me, so I’m not judging—I just seem to be under the impression you haven’t been in a while.

Yes, I mentioned that in the pop culture thread. Expense is a reason I may still sit out. But if I were to try to get to something, it would probably be one of these.
The one thing that is awesome about being a DMB fan is the ticket costs. If you get tickets through their fan club (35.00/yr) tickets are incredibly reasonable. 160 each for the better seats, 135 for the further back seats, 195 for pit, and 50 for lawn.

The one thing that is awesome about being a DMB fan is the ticket costs. If you get tickets through their fan club (35.00/yr) tickets are incredibly reasonable. 160 each for the better seats, 135 for the further back seats, 195 for pit, and 50 for lawn.
This is useful info, as I'm trying to decide where to set the price on Mister CIA Fan Club membership (not yet available to the public).

EDIT: Oh, and thank you for all the work on the playlists - more like play-lits, right?

AND THANK YOU @krista4 ! As always, lots of fun.

This is useful info, as I'm trying to decide where to set the price on Mister CIA Fan Club membership (not yet available to the public).
Count me in

New-to-me covers from #2 that I very much enjoyed:

A Perfect Day - Al Green (Lou Reed) -- This is one of Reed's most emotional songs, and who better to sing one of those than Rev. Al?
SOS - Portishead (Abba) -- Yep, this is exactly how I expected Portishead covering Abba to sound.
Soul Kitchen – X (The Doors) -- I knew of the existence of this one but had not actually heard it. They just plow through it like punkers do.
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) - Dave Matthews Band (Neil Young) -- Dave's unusual voice works well here, as of course does Tim Reynolds' guitar blasts.
Hey You - Bobaflex (Pink Floyd) -- Pretty faithful as far as a metal cover goes.
I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison (Cyndi Lauper) -- I like it better than the original -- but I have markedly different opinions about the respective singers' voices, so that was to be expected.
Time - Poor Man's Whiskey (Pink Floyd) -- This was fun.
Can’t Get Used to Losing You - The English Beat (Andy Williams) -- Particularly liked the drumming.

If that is the same cover of I Drove All Night I am thinking it is, I would have considered it, it got a disturbing amount of radio play 6-7 years ago for reasons but it sounded good

edit - I'm not sure that it is, the version I'm thinking may well be the one that was also Orbison but also featured the Royal Philharmonic, the first version I found on YT was terrible sadly

Last edited:
“She Came In Through The Bathroom Window”, Los Lonely Boys (YouTube)
This morning I looked at my emails, and I got one from the NC Folk Festival, and the Los Lonely Boys were a big part of the subject.

Greensboro, N.C., April 11, 2024 — The Grammy-winning Texican rock and roll band, Los Lonely Boys, is returning to Greensboro to headline the North Carolina Folk Festival's 10th anniversary, September 6-8. Los Lonely Boys last performed in Greensboro in 2014 at the Carolina Theatre. Festival organizers are also excited to reveal that The Psycodelics, Olive Klug, Colin Cutler & Hot Pepper Jam, Elias Alexander, and Holler Choir will join the diverse 2024 lineup.

The free three day festival celebrates the rich diversity of America’s roots and heritage, as well as North Carolina’s regional traditions. With everything from Texican Rock & Roll and Indie Folk, to NC homegrown Bluegrass, this lineup exemplifies our 10th Anniversary slogan of “honoring the roots, embracing the branches.”

Then there was a big write-up on the history of the Los Lonely Boys, etc. Anyway, the NCFF was channeling the MADsters. :tinfoilhat: It's a MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD World.

This morning I looked at my emails, and I got one from the NC Folk Festival, and the Los Lonely Boys were a big part of the subject.

Greensboro, N.C., April 11, 2024 — The Grammy-winning Texican rock and roll band, Los Lonely Boys, is returning to Greensboro to headline the North Carolina Folk Festival's 10th anniversary, September 6-8. Los Lonely Boys last performed in Greensboro in 2014 at the Carolina Theatre. Festival organizers are also excited to reveal that The Psycodelics, Olive Klug, Colin Cutler & Hot Pepper Jam, Elias Alexander, and Holler Choir will join the diverse 2024 lineup.

The free three day festival celebrates the rich diversity of America’s roots and heritage, as well as North Carolina’s regional traditions. With everything from Texican Rock & Roll and Indie Folk, to NC homegrown Bluegrass, this lineup exemplifies our 10th Anniversary slogan of “honoring the roots, embracing the branches.”

Then there was a big write-up on the history of the Los Lonely Boys, etc. Anyway, the NCFF was channeling the MADsters. :tinfoilhat: It's a MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD World.
You going?

You going?
If I'm here I will go see some of it. George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic (that's what he was billed as) played one year. I thought of you.
I may check it out this year. I think it's only a 3 or 4 hour drive. I don't know most of the artists listed, but that's the fun of it.

I was supposed to be at the Tampa Blues Festival this weekend, but life had other plans for me.

You going?
If I'm here I will go see some of it. George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic (that's what he was billed as) played one year. I thought of you.
I may check it out this year. I think it's only a 3 or 4 hour drive. I don't know most of the artists listed, but that's the fun of it.

I was supposed to be at the Tampa Blues Festival this weekend, but life had other plans for me.
Were you flying? Last year I think it rained a lot the weekend of the festival. Sometimes there can be some really hot days in September, too. I wish the festival was in October, because the weather gets really nice then.

You going?

Were you flying? Last year I think it rained a lot the weekend of the festival. Sometimes there can be some really hot days in September, too. I wish the festival was in October, because the weather gets really nice then.
To Greensboro? No, I'd drive. If you mean Tampa, I'd fly.

If that is the same cover of I Drove All Night I am thinking it is, I would have considered it, it got a disturbing amount of radio play 6-7 years ago for reasons but it sounded good

edit - I'm not sure that it is, the version I'm thinking may well be the one that was also Orbison but also featured the Royal Philharmonic, the first version I found on YT was terrible sadly
The correct YouTube version.

And there's a Celine cover.

I was wondering if you had to cancel a flight to Florida.

Last weekend when I was in Raleigh, we went to go eat breakfast at place at the farmer's market, and we had no idea the Dreamville Festival (which i think was a hip hop festival) was going on at the park right beside the market. The traffic was awful, and there were people walking along the roads that had parked from a distance. When we were waiting to turn left to go into the farmer's market lot, three people that were together were walking towards us to go to the festival. One was a girl that had on a denim halter top that tied right where her cleavage started, and her boobs were spilling out on full display. A sun beam was shining right on her chest, and my friend in the back seat of the car started singing, "Sunshine on her ***ties makes me happy." He was kidding, but you couldn't help but notice her boobs, and when you wear something like that you want to be noticed. Anyway, when we went into the farmer's market diner, we sat at the counter since some seats were vacant. About 15 minutes later in walks Ms. Dirty Pillows and her two friends. She sat at the counter right beside my friend that sang the song. We (my friends and I) smiled at each other, and then became mature adults again.

Do you remember where "dirty pillows" comes from? If not, in the movie Carrie, Carrie has on the prom dress and her crazy mother looks at her boobs and says, "I can see your dirty pillows. Everyone will."

Last edited:

Last weekend when I was in Raleigh, we went to go eat breakfast at place at the farmer's market, and we had no idea the Dreamville Festival (which i think was a hip hop festival) was going on at the park right beside the market. The traffic was awful, and there were people walking along the roads that had parked from a distance. When we were waiting to turn left to go into the farmer's market lot, three people that were together were walking towards us to go to the festival. One was a girl that had on a denim halter top that tied right where her cleavage started, and her boobs were spilling out on full display. A sun beam was shining right on her chest, and my friend in the back seat of the car started singing, "Sunshine on her ***ties makes me happy." He was kidding, but you couldn't help but notice her boobs, and when you wear something like that you want to be noticed. Anyway, when we went into the farmer's market diner, we sat at the counter since some seats were vacant. About 15 minutes later in walks Ms. Dirty Pillows and her two friends. She sat at the counter right beside my friend that sang the song. We (me and my friends) smiled at each other, and then became mature adults again.

Do you remember where "dirty pillows" comes from? If not, in the movie Carrie, Carrie has on the prom dress and her crazy mother looks at her boobs and says, "I can see your dirty pillows. Everyone will."
Remember that Wheelhouse thread from 15 years ago? Your story kind of reminded me of that. :lol:

Remember that Wheelhouse thread from 15 years ago
I remember there being a thread with the name in it, but I don't know what was in the thread. I remember a person here with that name.
Oh, you'd remember it if I explained it because I recall you posting about it in a concurrent music draft we had going. But me laying it out here now may not fly these days. There were pictures posted, spinoff threads, posters got outed IRL, and many many timeouts. That day was probably the closest to anarchy this forum has been.

I got to see them in 2006 when they played Farm Aid -- that year it was held in NJ. Of course I mainly went for Neil, but their set was good too.

Remember that Wheelhouse thread from 15 years ago
I remember there being a thread with the name in it, but I don't know what was in the thread. I remember a person here with that name.
Oh, you'd remember it if I explained it because I recall you posting about it in a concurrent music draft we had going. But me laying it out here now may not fly these days. There were pictures posted, spinoff threads, posters got outed IRL, and many many timeouts. That day was probably the closest to anarchy this forum has been.
It sounds like the yoga pants thread on steroids.

Gorgeous night tonight, so we took the Roam outside and I fired up the 30-pointers since I'd skipped them. OH loved the playlist, and we both commented how we'd forgotten how amazing that Over the Rainbow cover really was. All the hype and years of "hey look at this big dude playing a ukelele" made us relegate it to corny status, but it was touching and amazing.

On the :lol: front, about 45 seconds into Buddy Miles version of "Down by the River," OH said, in all seriousness, "Is this Neil Young covering Neil Young?"

Thirty pointers

This is why I'm here:
Uruk-Hai: A Perfect Day - Al Green (Lou Reed)
Mrs. Rannous: I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison (Cyndi Lauper)

Other favorites:
Dr. Octopus: If Not for You - George Harrison (Robert Zimmerman)
zamboni: Little Wing - Derek and the Dominos (The Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Hawks64: Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) - Dave Matthews Band (Neil Young)
Mister CIA: Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight - Chrissie Hynde (Bob Dylan)
higgins: Everybody’s Talkin - Harry Nilsson (Fred Neil)

Holy **** this is a cover???
Val Rannous: Black Betty - Ram Jam (Traditional)

Thirty-One Pointers

This is why I'm here:
Charlie Steiner: Blue Monday - Orkestra Obsolete (New Order)
Ilov80s: Let It Be - Aretha Franklin (The Beatles)
Scoresman: Weird Fishes - Lianne La Havas (Radiohead)
scorchy: Love Vigilantes - Laura Cantrell (New Order)
Mrs. Rannous: Shine - Dolly Parton (Collective Soul)
Doug B: The Big Medley [In the Flesh?, Carry On Wayward Son, Bohemian Rhapsody, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Cruise Control, Turn It On Again] - Dream Theater (Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen, Journey, Dixie Dregs, Genesis)
Uruk-Hai/krista4: A Change Is Gonna Come – Otis Redding (Sam Cooke)

I don't think Neil has that kind of funk in him, nor would he make random interjections about the weather.
Oh, Sha la la the weather

It is said each time before the line "she can drag me over the rainbow," so maybe the weather is in relation to the rainbow. The relationship in the song seems stormy, and stormy weather can form a rainbow, which can be a symbol of hope, but the narrator had no hope and was dragged over the rainbow, and lost control (sent away) to the point of no return. I don't know, but that sentence seemed like the point of no return. I think I just dragged myself over the rainbow. 🌈 Buddy Miles may have just added the refrain, cause he liked how it sounded. Anyway, his version is my favorite.

Last weekend when I was in Raleigh, we went to go eat breakfast at place at the farmer's market, and we had no idea the Dreamville Festival (which i think was a hip hop festival) was going on at the park right beside the market. The traffic was awful, and there were people walking along the roads that had parked from a distance. When we were waiting to turn left to go into the farmer's market lot, three people that were together were walking towards us to go to the festival. One was a girl that had on a denim halter top that tied right where her cleavage started, and her boobs were spilling out on full display. A sun beam was shining right on her chest, and my friend in the back seat of the car started singing, "Sunshine on her ***ties makes me happy." He was kidding, but you couldn't help but notice her boobs, and when you wear something like that you want to be noticed. Anyway, when we went into the farmer's market diner, we sat at the counter since some seats were vacant. About 15 minutes later in walks Ms. Dirty Pillows and her two friends. She sat at the counter right beside my friend that sang the song. We (my friends and I) smiled at each other, and then became mature adults again.

We moved away from Raleigh 21 years ago, so it's been a long time since we ate at the Farmer's Market but used to really enjoy that.

New-to-me covers from #1 that I very much enjoyed:

To Love Somebody (live) – Dusty Springfield (Bee Gees) -- Heavenly.
Let It Be - Aretha Franklin (The Beatles) -- So is this.
Blue Monday - Orkestra Obsolete (New Order) -- I wasn't sure what I was listening to at first, but this was ridiculously creative.
Radar Love – White Lion (Golden Earring) -- Nearly as revved up as the original.
Weird Fishes - Lianne La Havas (Radiohead) -- Stunning.
Love Vigilantes - Laura Cantrell (New Order) -- When a stripped-down version works, it's a good sign for the structure of a song. That's the case here.
Dear Prudence - Jerry Garcia Band (The Beatles) -- The vocal is a bit rough, but the guitar and bass playing are spectacular.
The Big Medley [In the Flesh?, Carry On Wayward Son, Bohemian Rhapsody, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Cruise Control, Turn It On Again] - Dream Theater (Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen, Journey, Dixie Dregs, Genesis) -- Executed flawlessly, with better vocals than I was expecting.
I'll Be Around - Daryl Hall/Ty Taylor (The Spinners) -- You can't go wrong with Daryl Hall performing soul music.
If I Could Only Fly - Merle Haggard (Blaze Foley) -- Compelling.

I finally got through it all!

Not sure if @Zegras11 is interested in doing another of his artist threads?
Hi JML, I am, but have to think about the timing of it all.

I got back last Tuesday from a week in Florida (only six MLB parks left to see), and have been trying to catch up on this thread.

When do you think would be a good day to start? May 1? May 15? June 1? LMK
Im easy (thats what she said) in all this.
If you are ready to do an artists thread, i will have an artist or 2 ready
If @krista4 has an idea ready to go for a draft/MAD countdown or anyone else has a draft i will consider what i can offer.
I usually have an idea floating around in this birds nest of a brain, but all i can think of is the sex, drugs and rock n roll one which got rejected by admin here.

I got back last Tuesday from a week in Florida (only six MLB parks left to see), and have been trying to catch up on this thread.

Which parks you got left?
TB, MINN, KC, CLE, PHIL, MIL.

Im easy (thats what she said) in all this.
If you are ready to do an artists thread, i will have an artist or 2 ready
If @krista4 has an idea ready to go for a draft/MAD countdown or anyone else has a draft i will consider what i can offer.
I usually have an idea floating around in this birds nest of a brain, but all i can think of is the sex, drugs and rock n roll one which got rejected by admin here.
I’m up for another Zegras one. Still a couple of artists debating between, but can figure it out.

Draft idea that I had was maybe a summer song equivalent of Eephus’s holiday draft (e.g., categories about Sun, Beach, Surfing, July 4th/America/Fireworks, Vacation, etc.) to give some good summer playlist vibes. Maybe a bit early for that though.

Last edited:

Which parks you got left?
TB, MINN, KC, CLE, PHIL, MIL.
Nice - we have 4 left. If you include the new ATL, then 5 (already went to Turner Field).

HOU, TEX, TB, MIA

Users who are viewing this thread