What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (1 Viewer)

Mrs. Rannous:

I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison (Cyndi Lauper)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: two votes – I Drove All Night (1); Mean Woman Blues (1)
Original artist: two votes – I Drove All Night (1); Time after Time (1)
This was an amazing choice. Love the Big O. I was looking at Lauper cover somgs, not her being covered dammit.

This one is kind of a cheat, JML. The song was writen for Oribison. When he died, Lauper got her version out first. A win for me.

Occasionally when one seems off to me, I look it up, and I've made a lot of behind-the-scenes corrections on that basis. I was shocked to look and see that this one really did belong to Lauper. Great pick!
You think I didn't check? And double check? I so did.

Of course! There are some people that I trust to have done their diligence more than others. :) (But you did have one wrong before...one of the earlier countdowns rather than this one, I think.)

30 Points - S.O.S. - Portishead (Abba)
Original

This was the song that changed the perception of Abba being a soft pop band after Waterloo and Ring Ring, into a serious pop band. Probably their first major song to do their melancholic thing. Agnetha is simply sensational in her vocal delivery as pointed out by Czars frontman who we saw earlier with Angel Eyes.

American singer-songwriter and former Czars frontman John Grant has called "SOS" "one of the greatest pieces of music ever made", adding that Agnetha Fältskog's "perfect" lyrical interpretation and emotional delivery is "a beautiful thing"

Glen Matlock of the Sex Pistols said it inspired him to write Pretty Vacant.

The song reached #15 in the US, #6 in the UK, but everywhere else it went to #1 or #2, except Canada.

Cover

Portishead make Boston seem prolific in comparison. Three albums in 30 years. Their output since 2008 has just been the odd song here or there. As the clear #1 band in Trip Hop, a genre i usually love. Lamb, Massive Attack, even my beloved Royksopp dipped occasionally into the genre. I havent done a full discography of Portishead, but they will have more than 31 songs worth of recorded material, but little more. One of the post 2008 songs is this haunting cover of S.O.S. The sinister bassline, the menacing threat throughout all move the song in a different direction, but you can hear both the original Abba and true Portishead here.

Abba - 19 - Cover 11.
This is such a close call. The cover by Portishead is astounding, but the original is one of the most revered in the Abba canon so I will go original here.

Finally Up, anyone with a passing interest in Abba will wonder where a certain duo has been on my list. They have recorded 4 Abba covers, all brilliant. It almost certainly was responsible for a reevaluation of the band and gave Abba the road to credibility that they lacked during their career.

30 Points - Where did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana (Traditional - In the Pines)
Original - Using Leadbellys 1944 version

The song dates back to the 1870s, but the first version of this interpretation belongs to Cecil Sharp in 1917, recorded in the mid 20s.

Leadbelly then reinterpreted that version for the one that inspire Kurt Cobain.

Cover

I will just post what Mt. Man said lol
This song was recorded in 1993, and was scheduled to be featured as a B-side to "Pennyroyal Tea" in 1994. Only... well, Cobain died in April of that year. That led to it being released as part of their Unplugged album in 1994. For the record, if I'd allowed myself more than one song per artist, Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" probably would've been in the teens on my list. But it's this performance that (obviously) sticks with me a lot more. This was the last song the band did that night, though the story goes that the producer suggesting doing an encore. Cobain's response was "I don't think we can top that last song". I'd certainly have to agree.

Back to me, yeah the story goes that Come As You Are was planned as the encore, but scrapped when Cobains emotive delivery left an indelible high in the room

Originals 9 - Covers 21. I knew many people who dismissed Nirvana as just noise. I loaned the Unplugged CD to as many people as i could to see if they still held that view. Without fail, they admit they undersold the band and were blown away by this song in particular. Advantage cover.

Finally up, this cover is astonishing and although it has been mentioned to date, I am surprised it hasnt come up more often. The difference between the original genius artist and the cover seems like the originator had no idea of his own song.

It means you and your wife were shelter children. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️

I think that unless I'm missing a joke here the maybe real takeaway from this is that in middle-class suburbs around '88-'89 the Stones did not have a large footprint for people our age. They were known, for sure, but they were actually sort of bringing up the rear in the classic rock/local world I grew up in. The Who, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and other acts were the ones I remember my older peers liking. Steel Wheels put them back into consciousness and the conversation, and I remember the shirts popping up, but for me that served as more of a cautionary tale of why you don't play rock music when yr old than any great comeback.
Steel Wheels was their first passable album since Tattoo You, which itself was made up of outtakes from the '70s with new vocals added on. They had a rough go of it in the '80s, almost breaking up when Mick and Keef had a falling out (Keef's "You Don't Move Me Anymore" from his first solo album is all about this). When guitar-based music came back into fashion in the '90s, so did the Stones.

His #100 and #99 are two of Neil's most unlistenable songs. :laugh: Which is the kind of thing Hyden would do.

Hyden posted an article the other day to Twitter that he wrote at sixteen about Kurt Cobain’s death. He said he would rather let his sixteen year-old self tell the story and capture the moment.

I was impressed. Dude could write and think like an adult from the jump.

30 Points - Where did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana (Traditional - In the Pines)

The song dates back to the 1870s, but the first version of this interpretation belongs to Cecil Sharp in 1917, recorded in the mid 20s.

Cover

This song was recorded in 1993, and was scheduled to be featured as a B-side to "Pennyroyal Tea" in 1994. Only... well, Cobain died in April of that year. That led to it being released as part of their Unplugged album in 1994. For the record, if I'd allowed myself more than one song per artist, Nirvana's version of "The Man Who Sold the World" probably would've been in the teens on my list. But it's this performance that (obviously) sticks with me a lot more. This was the last song the band did that night, though the story goes that the producer suggesting doing an encore. Cobain's response was "I don't think we can top that last song". I'd certainly have to agree.

Back to me, yeah the story goes that Come As You Are was planned as the encore, but scrapped when Cobains emotive delivery left an indelible high in the room

Originals 9 - Covers 21. I knew many people who dismissed Nirvana as just noise. I loaned the Unplugged CD to as many people as i could to see if they still held that view. Without fail, they admit they undersold the band and were blown away by this song in particular. Advantage cover.

Finally up, this cover is astonishing and although it has been mentioned to date, I am surprised it hasnt come up more often. The difference between the original genius artist and the cover seems like the originator had no idea of his own song.
I'm going to correct you again. Come As You Are is the second song in the Unplugged set. So if there was a planned encore (which there probably was), it wasn't that.

His #100 and #99 are two of Neil's most unlistenable songs. :laugh: Which is the kind of thing Hyden would do.

Hyden posted an article the other day to Twitter that he wrote at sixteen about Kurt Cobain’s death. He said he would rather let his sixteen year-old self tell the story and capture the moment.

I was impressed. Dude could write and think like an adult from the jump.
I don't have time to read or evaluate the whole list, but when I return from my business trip I should probably update my Neil thread with my takes on that and on Neil's new album, which I have not yet listened to.

OH tally:

OH cover songs I have heard of: 7
OH original songs I have heard of: 16
OH cover artists I have heard of: 22
OH original artists I have heard of: 26

The PJ Harvey is a 4-for-4 -- and yet another Albini tie-in from OH. Amazingly, the song I share with OH is a 2-for-4, because I assumed the original was The Isley Brothers and I've never heard of The Top Hats or whatever they're called nor their version of Twist and Shout.

I've written about my #3 and #2 on this forum before, so in the interest of time I'll just repost what I said.

I'm a Man, included as my #4 Chicago song in the MAD 1 countdown:

My favorite covers are those that maintain the best aspects of the original while adding something distinctive from the cover-er. And one of the best examples of this is Chicago's version of The Spencer Davis Group's I'm a Man, released on the debut album. Nobody in the band could match Steve Winwood's vocal, so they don't try; each of the band's three primary singers offers their own interpretation in a way that suits their individual strengths. Instead, they replicate the infectious beat and the organ washes, but slow the tempo down a little, more than double the length and go much heavier on the guitar and the drums/percussion -- the horn players perform on various percussion instruments instead of trumpet/trombone/saxophone. The result is an interpretation so exciting that it became an FM radio favorite and concert staple, often serving as a set closer or encore (it was the last song of the famed Tanglewood set, and despite being 10 years after its release, it was the first song they performed on their only SNL appearance, in 1979). It even charted when re-released as a B-side in 1971, on the flip side of Questions 67 and 68, a song from the debut album that the label decided to push again.
Tanglewood version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPZUgfOqAdg (the crowd was so nuts after this that they had to bring Terry Kath back out to tell everybody to go home)
Leonid and Friends version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rmOg4_8wD0 (they do bring in horns for the last two verses)
The SNL performance is not on YouTube.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night, when it was picked in the MAD US countdown (not by me):
If I could pick one moment to sum up Gen X's contribution to music, it would be Kurt Cobain's scream on "Shiverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" at the end of the Unplugged version of Where Did You Sleep Last Night.
After you've seen their Unplugged special once, on subsequent viewings you can see the whole thing as a buildup to that moment. Hell, you could even say Nirvana's entire career was a buildup to that moment.

At #1, the chalkiest chalk that will ever chalk when it comes to cover songs, and my reflexive answer for greatest cover performance ever.

At #1, the chalkiest chalk that will ever chalk when it comes to cover songs, and my reflexive answer for greatest cover performance ever.

Yeah, me too (I think).

And you're right about "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" I don't think you overstated it one bit. Their musical output is really capped and made much more viscerally felt by that extraordinary cover.

"I asked David Geffen if he'd buy me the guitar. He said no."

Of course, I owned that song in this countdown and neglected to write it up, dammit.

Funny story. Well, kind of. Back when I was twenty-three or so and fresh out of college, my friends came to visit. These were all hippie-type folks who loved the Dead and Phish and that whole scene. So when they came, we all got stoned and I threw on my Smithsonian compilation of Lead Belly. Swear to God that I figured they would dig it. At one point in the compilation, Lead Belly starts a song called "Moanin'." So here we are listening to Lead Belly moan, I'm stoned as hell, and I realize that everybody is just massively uncomfortable. I looked at my friend Karon and felt so bad. I jump up, gently hit stop, and just sort of apologized and threw something else on.

He might as well have popped out of the speakers and said, "Son, why are you singing the blues?" Probably the most uncomfortable I'd ever seen music make people. LOL. Today I just laugh about it. It's a great, felt song, but it was a lead balloon that day.

Aw, k4. It wasn't that bad. It was just . . . thankfully ended.

On a happier note, my girlfriend Shelley at the time (mmm...maybe this was a bit later on) loved it because her father used to have Lead Belly in their jukebox growing up. I did not know that until we were listening to it and she just smiled and said "Cool." I remember the song even.

I jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton
I jump down turn around pick a bale a day

Cover

I'm going to correct you again. Come As You Are is the second song in the Unplugged set. So if there was a planned encore (which there probably was), it wasn't that.
Apart from that lol
Just researched
Following the final note Alex Coletti and Nirvana briefly flirted with the idea of an encore. Here is the MTV producer’s intriguing recollection.

I said, “Now’s the time. You’re not gonna get to do this again. And they listened and they weren’t just dismissing it. And I threw out ‘Verse Chorus Verse’, and there was one song that was a B-side that Dave sang, ‘Marigold’. So honestly, I wasn’t doing what MTV wanted, which was getting hits. I was throwing out obscure stuff. Just stuff I thought would work acoustic and be cool. But I wasn’t gonna come out and say, “Try Teen Spirit.” But Kurt thought about it and he said, “I don’t think we can top the last song.” And the minute he said that, I pressed the button on my headset and said, “We’re wrapped.”

Sorry simey. Great run for NC St. Tough to beat one of the best teams ever.

Wes Moore seems like a great guy and an excellent coach.

He reminds me of a mix of Jack Klugman and Tom Bosley.
Yeah, the women's team hung with South Carolina for a bit, but SC was just too much for them. Regarding Wes Moore, one of the people I was watching the game with commented that he looked like an extra in a movie. I definitely see the Klugman and Bosley comparisons.

The men's game was frustrating. State played well on defense, but they couldn't make a basket. I felt like the game was very winnable for them had they played better offensively. Oh well, it was a fun ride, and the Pack should be proud of what they accomplished in the tournaments. 👏 Go Pack! :wolf:

A few bits to gin up excitement for the final round:

- We will have our second Dummy's Grand Slam Breakfast - that is, one cover gets four votes!
- Our only Deja Vote is for a cover that has heretofore not appeared on the countdown. All or nothing for this one!
- There is an original artist that gets three votes. Nothing unusual there. But what's weird about this is that this artist has only had two votes total in the countdown until now. So of its five total votes, three will be in the #1 spot.

- We will have our second Dummy's Grand Slam Breakfast - that is, one cover gets four votes!
- Our only Deja Vote is for a cover that has heretofore not appeared on the countdown. All or nothing for this one!
- There is an original artist that gets three votes. Nothing unusual there. But what's weird about this is that this artist has only had two votes total in the countdown until now. So of its five total votes, three will be in the #1 spot.
If others agree that my pick is the chalkiest chalk that ever chalked, then I might be in the Dummy’s Grand Slam Breakfast again.

New covers to the countdown chatter...

- X's cover of "Soul Kitchen" sounds nothing like The Doors original. X's is pure punk while The Doors is moody psychedelia rock. The Doors seem to be a band where people really love them or really dislike them. I really love them. They had their own sound, and you can usually tell its a Doors song when the first note hits. X made Soul Kitchen totally into an X song. What I think is the coolest thing about X's punk version is that Ray Manzarek from The Doors produced their album, so while the two bands sound nothing alike, there is a common thread between the two being Manzarek. He was a big fan of X, and produced X's first four albums. Both versions are really good.
- Rev. Al Green is still preaching the soul with those golden pipes in "Perfect Day."
- "Little Wing" by Derek and The Dominos is a great cover off of a great album. I love the dualing guitars of Duane Allman and Eric Clapton. I also like Bobby Whitlock and Clapton's voices together. It's great blues rock.
- Bobflex does a nice straight forward cover of "Hey You."
- Poor Man's Whiskey's cover of "Time" is getting me excited for Merlefest at the end of this month. 🪕🎻🤠 🎶
- Frank Turner's acoustic cover of "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight" is great. I really liked his personality when I saw him open for the Counting Crows about three years ago.
- U2 and Green Day sound great together on their "The Saints are Coming" cover.
- Harry Nilsonn's cover of "Everybody's Talkin'" reminds me of the late 60s, and of course the movie "Midnight Cowboy." I'm a fan of this cover and Bill Withers' version.
- "Tin Soldier" by Todd Rundgren is really good. I like it a bit better than the original.
- Roy sounds great on "I Drove All Night." I didn't know the Lauper original, but listened to it, and I like Roy's version the best.
- Bob Dylan's vocals can be hit or miss with me on songs, and he is a hit with me on his cover of "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight." I like Chrissie Hynde's original a lot, too.
- Dave Matthews Band rocks on their live cover of "Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black)." 🎸 Sounds great.
- Elton plays a mean "Pinball Wizard."
- Whitney was at her highest peak doing "The Star Spangled Banner."
- Saint Etiene makes "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" all their own.
- Aretha takes us to church on her version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
- The English Beat bring a touch of reggae to Andy Williams "Can't Get Used to Loving You."
- Bam ba lam Black Betty had a child, Bam ba lam the damn thing gone wild
- Portishead turns ABBA's "SOS" into a dark slow number. I can see it being played in a thriller movie. I love ABBA's original. It is Pop greatness. 🎬

Doug B:

The Saints Are Coming - Green Day & U2 (The Skids)
Cover artist: Green Day: two votes – The Saints Are Coming (1); The Simpsons Theme (1)
U2: two votes – The Saints Are Coming (1); All Along the Watchtower (1)
Original artist: first vote
Glad somebody picked this. It got no love at all in the U2 rundown, except by me
It’s a classic locally. I think most of the house knows this, but U2 and Green Day recorded this live during a pre-game performance in September 2006. It was the re-opening of the Louisiana Superdome after Hurricane Katrina, Falcons at Saints. Epic day in the city. Several local terrestrial radio stations simulcast this performance live.

I should have listened to the #2s before we get to the #1s tomorrow. I had three whole days! Dammit.
I feel that. New plan is #2s today, and #1s tomorrow. Hopefully some stuff tonight too. But first:
--
#2 Respect - Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding)
Orignal: Spotify; Youtube

Not surprisingly, this song settled in quickly to a high spot on my list. It was #1 for a while, and certainly some days it earns that place in my heart. #2 isn't exactly a far slide, though. Respect doesn't need much of an introduction, though I'd be curious about how much Redding's version has been heard. Certainly not a lot by me, before this countdown. Redding's version is soulful and strong.

It's just that Aretha Franklin took the song and 100% made it her own. Adding to it (including spelling out the title), shaping it. It's a performance that makes you (or at least me) wonder her covering it wasn't fate. Like this song was made for her to sing, and to "own", even if she wasn't the first (nor my any means the last) to sing it. I mean, it's this high, so you might get the correct impression that I really love this song.

At #1, there's an artist that I wouldn't be surprised to see a few times atop others' list. Only I have them as coveree, not coverer

Thirty-One-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

A Change Is Gonna Come - Otis Redding (Sam Cooke)
Song: second and third votes today – Otis Redding (2); Aretha Franklin (1)
Cover artist: four votes – A Change Is Gonna Come (2); Try a Little Tenderness (1); (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (1)
Original artist: three votes – A Change Is Gonna Come (3)

titusbramble:

Hurt - Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
Song: five votes – Johnny Cash (4)
Cover artist: 11 votes – Hurt (5); I See a Darkness (2); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); In My Life (1); Girl from the North Country (1); Rowboat (1)
Original artist: five votes – Hurt (5)

Pip’s Invitation:

All Along the Watchtower – The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Bob Dylan)
Song: 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th votes today – Jimi Hendrix (9); Bear McCreary (2); Dave Matthews Band (2); U2 (1); Neil Young & Booker T. and the MGs (1)
Cover artist: 14 votes – All Along the Watchtower (9); Hey Joe (4); The Star Spangled Banner (1)
Original artist: 64 votes – All Along the Watchtower (15); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Mr. Tambourine Man (3); If Not for You (2); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (2); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight (1); Highway 61 Revisited (1); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

Dr. Octopus:

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Robert Zimmerman)
Song: 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th votes today – Jimi Hendrix (9); Bear McCreary (2); Dave Matthews Band (2); U2 (1); Neil Young & Booker T. and the MGs (1)
Cover artist: 14 votes – All Along the Watchtower (9); Hey Joe (4); The Star Spangled Banner (1)
Original artist: see above (deleted due to character limits in posts)

simey:

To Love Somebody (live) – Dusty Springfield (Bee Gees)
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: three votes – How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2); To Love Somebody (1)

Just Win Baby:

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You -- Led Zeppelin (Joan Baez)
Song: two votes – Led Zeppelin (2)
Cover artist: nine votes – When the Levee Breaks (4); Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (2); Gallows Pole (1); Traveling Riverside Blues (1); Dazed and Confused (1)
Original artist: two votes – Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (2)

Galileo:

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
Original artist: see above (deleted due to character limits in posts)

Don Quixote:

Ceremony - Galaxie 500 (New Order)
Song: two votes – Galaxie 500 (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Ceremony (2)
Original artist: five votes – Ceremony (2); Love Vigilantes (2); Blue Monday (1)

simsarge:

I Sold My Heart To The Junkman - The Beautiful South With Jacqui Abbott (Patti LaBelle And Her Blue Belles) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Cover artist: first vote each

Charlie Steiner:

Blue Monday - Orkestra Obsolete (New Order) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Original artist: five votes – Ceremony (2); Love Vigilantes (2); Blue Monday (1)

JMLs secret identity:

Lay All Your Love on Me - Erasure (Abba)
Original artist: 30 votes – Lay All Your Love on Me (1); SOS (1); Slipping Through My Fingers (1); Tropical Loveland (1); Arrival (1); Like an Angel Passing through My Room (1); Chiquitita (1); Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

Superstar - The Carpenters (Delaney and Bonnie)
Song: three votes – Sonic Youth (2); The Carpenters (1)
Cover artist: three votes – Superstar (1); A Song for You (1); (They Long to Be) Close to You (1)
Original artist: three votes – Superstar (3)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O’Connor (Prince)
Song: two votes – Sinead O’Connor (2)
Cover artist: four votes – Nothing Compares 2 U (2); Chiquitita (1); The Foggy Dew (1)
Original artist: seven votes – Nothing Compares 2 U (2); When U Were Mine (2); Kiss (2); Purple Rain (1)

Ilov80s:

Let It Be - Aretha Franklin (The Beatles)
Song: two votes – Aretha Franklin (1); Umphrey’s McGee (1)
Cover artist: 10 votes – Respect (5); Let It Be (1); Bridge over Troubled Water (1); Nessun Dorma (1); A Change Is Gonna Come (1); Spanish Harlem (1)
Original artist: 38 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); Hey Jude (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Let It Be (2); Dear Prudence (2); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Got to Get You into My Life (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1)

Eephus:

Hound Dog - Elvis Presley (Big Mama Thornton)
Song: two votes – Elvis Presley (2)
Cover artist: seven votes – Hound Dog (2); That’s All Right (2); Suspicious Minds (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); An American Trilogy (1)
Original artist: four votes – Hound Dog (2); Ball and Chain (2)

The Dreaded Marco:

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen)
Song: five votes – Jeff Buckley (4); Pentatonix (1)
Cover artist: five votes – Hallelujah (4); Lilac Wine (1)
Original artist: seven votes – Hallelujah (5); So Long, Marianne (1); Chelsea Hotel No. 2 (1)

New Binky the Doormat:

You Keep Me Hangin' On - Vanilla Fudge (The Supremes)
Song: three votes – Vanilla Fudge (3)
Cover artist: three votes – You Keep Me Hangin’ On (3)
Original artist: five votes - You Keep Me Hangin’ On (3); Where Did Our Love Go (1); Walk on By (1)

Andy Dufresne:

Radar Love – White Lion (Golden Earring)

Thirty-One-Point Selections:
PART TWO:

Hawks64:

Funny How Time Slips Away - Dave Matthews (Billy Walker)
Song: three votes – Al Green and Lyle Lovett (2); Dave Matthews (1)
Cover artist: 22 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); Funny How Time Slips Away (1); Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) (1); A Pirate Looks at Forty (1); Sledgehammer (1); Rye Whiskey (1); Waste (1); Cortez the Killer (1); The Maker (1); Long Black Veil (1); Exodus (1); Down by the River (1); Take Me to Tomorrow (1); Time of the Season (1); Still Water (1); Melissa (1); Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)
Original artist: three votes – Funny How Time Slips Away (3)

rockaction:

All Along the Watchtower – The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Bob Dylan)
Original artist: 64 votes – All Along the Watchtower (15); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Mr. Tambourine Man (3); If Not for You (2); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (2); Make You Feel My Love (2); I Shall Be Released (2); Don’t Fall Apart on Me Tonight (1); Highway 61 Revisited (1); You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (1); Masters of War (1); It Ain’t Me Babe (1); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

Scoresman:

Weird Fishes - Lianne La Havas (Radiohead)
Original artist: nine votes – Knives Out (2); Weird Fishes (1); National Anthem (1); Optimistic (1); Paranoid Android (1); Exit Music (1); Airbag (1); Let Down (1)

Raging weasel:

House of the Rising Sun – Frijid Pink (unknown)
Song: three votes – The Animals (2); Frijid Pink (1)
Original artist: N/A

scorchy:

Love Vigilantes - Laura Cantrell (New Order)
Song: two votes – Laura Cantrell (1); Iron and Wine (1)

Mrs. Rannous:

Shine - Dolly Parton (Collective Soul)

Mt. Man:

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Stevie Ray Vaughn (Jimi Hendrix)
Song: four votes – Stevie Ray Vaughan (3); Angelique Kidjo (1)
Cover artist: seven votes – Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (3); Little Wing (2); The Sky Is Crying (1); Superstition (1)
Original artist: 10 votes – Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (4); Little Wing (3); Machine Gun (1); The Wind Cries Mary (1); Purple Haze (1)

Mister CIA:

Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson (Fred Neil)
Song: five votes – Harry Nilsson (2); Bill Withers (2); The Seldom Scene (1)
Cover artist: four votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (2); Without You (2)
Original artist: five votes – Everybody’s Talkin’ (5)

Val Rannous:

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin (Kansas Joe and Memphis Minnie)
Song: four votes – Led Zeppelin (4)
Cover artist: nine votes – When the Levee Breaks (4); Babe I’m Gonna Leave You (2); Gallows Pole (1); Traveling Riverside Blues (1); Dazed and Confused (1)
Original artist: four votes – When the Levee Breaks (4)

landrys hat:

How Can You Mend a Broken Heart - Al Green (Bee Gees)
Song: two votes – Al Green (2)
Cover artist: five votes – How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2); Funny How Time Slips Away (2); A Perfect Day (1)
Original artist: three votes – How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (2); To Love Somebody (1)

shuke:

Dear Prudence - Jerry Garcia Band (The Beatles)
Song: two votes – Jerry Garcia Band (1); Siouxsie and the Banshees (1)
Original artist: 38 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); Hey Jude (4); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (3); In My Life (3); Let It Be (2); Dear Prudence (2); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Got to Get You into My Life (2); And I Love Her (1); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1)

Doug B:

The Big Medley [In the Flesh?, Carry On Wayward Son, Bohemian Rhapsody, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', Cruise Control, Turn It On Again] - Dream Theater (Pink Floyd, Kansas, Queen, Journey, Dixie Dregs, Genesis)
Song: yeah, I’m not going through all those
Cover artist: two votes – The Big Medley (1); Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (1)
Original artist: see comment under “song”

DrIanMalcolm:

Proud Mary - Tina Turner (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Song: six votes – Ike & Tina Turner (5); Tina Turner (1)
Cover artist: seven votes – Proud Mary (6); Whole Lotta Love (1)
Original artist: seven votes – Proud Mary (6); Rising Moon Reel (1)

Chaos34:

Tears of a Clown - The English Beat (Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)
Song: two votes – The English Beat (2)
Cover artist: three votes – The Tears of a Clown (2); Can’t Get Used to Losing You (1)
Original artist: three votes – The Tears of a Clown (2); Who’s Loving You (1)

higgins:

I'll Be Around - Daryl Hall/Ty Taylor (The Spinners)
Cover artist: first vote each

Oliver Humanzee:

If I Could Only Fly - Merle Haggard (Blaze Foley)

krista4:

A Change Is Gonna Come – Otis Redding (Sam Cooke)
Song: second and third votes today – Otis Redding (2); Aretha Franklin (1)
Cover artist: four votes – A Change Is Gonna Come (2); Try a Little Tenderness (1); (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (1)
Original artist: three votes – A Change Is Gonna Come (3)

Last edited:

Obviously the Dummy's Grand Slam Breakfast was Jimi Hendrix Experience on "All Along the Watchtower" (more on that in a second). The Deja Vote is @Uruk-Hai and I choosing Otis Redding's cover of "A Change Is Gonna Come," though one of us had it at the top only because it was first alphabetically. :lol:

The oddball original artist with five votes, three of them 31-pointers, is New Order. :thumbup:

Posting some "winners," starting with the original artist rankings:

Bob Dylan – 64*
The Beatles – 38
Abba – 30**
Neil Young – 18
Simon & Garfunkel – 17
The Kinks – 12
Jimi Hendrix – 10
The Rolling Stones – 10
Stevie Wonder – 10

*31 from one poster.
**All from one poster.

Songs:

All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan) – 15, nine by Jimi Hendrix and the rest by four other artists
Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) – 7, all by Soft Cell
You Really Got Me (The Kinks) – 7, all by Van Halen
Take Me to the River (Al Green) – 7, all by Talking Heads
Hazy Shade of Winter (Simon & Garfunkel) – 6, all by The Bangles
Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon (Neil Diamond) – 6, all by Urge Overkill
Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival) – 6, all by Tina Turner or Ike & Tina Turner
Hurt (Nine Inch Nails) – 5, all by Johnny Cash
Respect (Otis Redding) – 5, all by Aretha Franklin
Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) – 5, four by Jeff Buckley
Everybody’s Talkin’ (Fred Neil) – 5, by three different artists
Cortez the Killer (Neil Young) – 5, by three different artists
Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (traditional) – 5, all by Nirvana
The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel) – 5, all by Disturbed
Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder) – 5, all by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Hey Joe (The Leaves) – 5, all by Jimi Hendrix
Jolene (Dolly Parton) – 5, four by The White Stripes

Andy Dufresne:

Radar Love – White Lion (Golden Earring)
No song improves on the original more than this (My Body Is A Cage comes close). White Lion took a lame-o 70's sound punctuated with flat sounding drums and horns... HORNS!... and turned it into a kick *** rock sing featuring not just a guitar solo but also a DRUM solo. And Mike Tramp can hit every note, and does!

Now excuse me as I go drive 100 MPH to somewhere unknown with this blasting out of the windows. :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread