What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (4 Viewers)

Interesting NYT article about the upcoming auction of some items from Pattie Boyd (ex-wife of friends of the thread George Harrison and Eric Clapton), including love letters from Clapton. Say what you want about him, but he had excellent penmanship. I've gifted the article here for those without a subscription.
Someone learned to write with a fountain pen.

He wasn't called Slowhand for nothing

#10 Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Bruce Springsteen)
Original: Spotify ; Youtube

Probably not a huge shock that this is MMEB's only appearance. The song is well known, and that it's a cover is true, though it's hard to say how much I heard the Springsteen version before this exercise. Not a lot, for sure. To not accidentally throw Thumper Rule shade Bruce's way, suffice it to say that this is one where I'd have to favor the cover. It's definitely it's own thing, the lyrics skipping a few verses and of course changing "cut loose like a deuce" to "revved up like a deuce" (and not "wrapped up like..." something else). MMEB's version is fully two minutes longer, yet it manages to almost feel more condensed. The guitar and piano solos notwithstanding.

--
#9 You Really Got Me - Van Halen (The Kinks)
Original: Spotify ; Youtube

This song is, objectively, the #9 best cover. If you don't believe me after hearing it (up to) four times on this playlist, you never will. Seriously though, I was curious to see it untaken, if not totally surprised given the cover possibilities from Van Halen. Though certainly surprised to be part of a Quadrophenom Dummy's Grand Slam Breakfast. Unlike the previous song, it's hard to pick a favorite between the two versions.

After all, this is the song Galileo put #1on the M-AD list for The Kinks and was #3 on the British Isles countdown of songs by The Kinks. So saying that Ray Davies wrote a punchy, catchy song that the band performed extremely well might be an understatement. On the other side, there's Van Halen, with the brothers' excellent musicianship and David Lee Roth doing his usual best to squeeze emotion into every word as he often did (/does).

At #8, a song that appeared only once so far, but I have to expect many more showing. Still, for at least one other M-AD, they'll achieve a companion.

I wish I woulda signed up for this one! I'm gonna try to listen to some of the ones that pique my interest.

I haven't looked at the whole thing yet, but I've only found one song so far, that would be on my list......Nirvanas version of Where did you sleep last night.

Hey! I'm glad to see you in the thread. Sometime in the future we're going to do another one for everyone's 31 favorite albums, so I hope you'll join that!
Bet I can work some Steinman in there, too.
I bat [sic] you can!

Covers from #9 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston (Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes) -- Subconsciously I knew this was a cover, consciously I did not. I agree with everything Uruk said.
I Shall Be Released - Wilco and Fleet Foxes (Robert Zimmerman) -- This comes from the same Wilco rarities box set that my #26 pick I Am Not Willing appears on. It basically follows the same template as the all-star finale performance of The Last Waltz.
Needles and Pins - The Searchers (Jackie DeShannon) -- Tom Petty based much of his sound on this version of this song. And covered it with Stevie Nicks on his 1985 live album.
Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Judy Garland) -- This is one of my wife's favorite songs. And it is gorgeous. We also have it on the iPod playlist that has served as falling-asleep music for my son since his birth. Sadly Mr. Kamakawiwo'ole is no longer with us.
Man of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys (traditional) -- So damn enjoyable.
Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding (Ray Noble Orchestra) -- Subconsciously I knew this was a cover, consciously I did not, part 2. But I've taken it in a bunch of other drafts/exercises.
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Otis Redding (Rolling Stones) -- Now this Otis performance, I DEFINITELY knew was a cover. :lol:

OH tally:

OH cover songs I have heard of: 3
OH original songs I have heard of: 11
OH cover artists I have heard of: 15
OH original artists I have heard of: 20

A rare 4-for-4. I am extremely familiar with both the original and cover, and love both.

It was also taken previously in the countdown, though I know that's not where you learned of it. Where would you slot any that you did become aware of in the countdown? I assume this is a snapshot of "pre-countdown" knowledge?

OH tally:

OH cover songs I have heard of: 3
OH original songs I have heard of: 11
OH cover artists I have heard of: 15
OH original artists I have heard of: 20

A rare 4-for-4. I am extremely familiar with both the original and cover, and love both.

It was also taken previously in the countdown, though I know that's not where you learned of it. Where would you slot any that you did become aware of in the countdown? I assume this is a snapshot of "pre-countdown" knowledge?
Yes, something only gets a "point" if I knew it before the countdown.

Pip’s Invitation:

You Really Got Me – Van Halen (The Kinks)

Clearly I don't need to do much explaining of this one. It rocks your face off and is one of many examples of the genius of Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth right from the getgo. It, often preceded by Eddie's groundbreaking instrumental Eruption, was a constant presence on the Philly FM stations I listened to in the '80s, and thus has always been top-of-mind when I think of "covers that I love."

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTsY-oz6Go

At #8, something that has a vastly different sound from most of my list, and which I think is vastly superior to the original.

- This live version of "I Shall Be Released" by Wilco and the Fleet Foxes is great. It's one of those songs that I think is always great live. I got tickets today to see Wilco in June. Excited!
- This version of "Man of Constant Sorrow" reminds me of MoCs more than any other. I'd like to think that he and Wikkid are up in heaven getting stoked for the Kentucky Derby. It's time for their triplet to come out of the shadows and carry on their tradition.
- The "Needles and Pins" cover by The Searchers is one of the earliest sounds of the jangle guitar. I'm a fan of that sound.
- "Try A Little Tenderness" to me is an Otis Redding song.
- Shadows Fall's cover of "Welcome to the Machine" is really cool. The vocals are spot on, and that crunchy rock sound goes well with the vocals. Pink Floyd's original is more spacey, but Shadows Fall have their own "far out" moments, and do a great job doing it their way.
- Robert Plant sounds great in his cover of "Darkness, Darkness." I like The Youngbloods original as well. It's a tie between the two on which is my favorite. Jesse Colin Young deserves more recognition than what he gets as a songwriter.
- "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Isreal Kamasomethingoranother makes me smile. I need to learn to play the ukulele. I almost bought one several years ago, but didn't do it.
- "Six More Miles" by Mike Ness is my kinda square dancing music. 🤠
- NIN's version of "Dead Souls" fit perfectly in the movie "The Crow." Joy Division's original seemed ahead of its time.
- Love and Rockets' "Ball of Confusion" is a ball of 🔥

- This version of "Man of Constant Sorrow" reminds me of MoCs more than any other. I'd like to think that he and Wikkid are up in heaven getting stoked for the Kentucky Derby. It's time for their triplet to come out of the shadows and carry on their tradition.

Amen. We miss you, @otb_lifer .

- "Try A Little Tenderness" to me is an Otis Redding song.

Preach, sista.

- I've never heard of Green River, but their cover of "Queen Bitch" is bitchin'!
They are the primordial ooze of grunge. It can be argued that that sound/scene began with them. Their members included Mark Arm and Steve Turner, who went on to Mudhoney, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, who went on to Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam, and Bruce Fairweather, who went on to Mother Love Bone and Love Battery.

I'm trying to get a jump on sending the #8s to Hawks, instead of sending the night before*, and I noticed that one person's #8 has the cover artist and original artist listed as the same person. :lol: I think we've seen this before, though, so hopefully no research will be necessary.

*And by the way, please give a round of :clap:to @Hawks64 for being the glue that holds the playlist postings together and selflessly and without complaint works on these using the ugly format that I usually give him.

I'm trying to get a jump on sending the #8s to Hawks, instead of sending the night before*, and I noticed that one person's #8 has the cover artist and original artist listed as the same person. :lol: I think we've seen this before, though, so hopefully no research will be necessary.

*And by the way, please give a round of :clap:to @Hawks64 for being the glue that holds the playlist postings together and selflessly and without complaint works on these using the ugly format that I usually give him.
:clap::clap::clap:

(^^^^ that's as much exercise as I got in today)

21 pointers

This is what I'm here for
zamboni: Season of the Witch - Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper & Stephen Stills (Donovan)

Other favorites:
Pip’s Invitation: Southern Man – Merry Clayton (Neil Young)
Charlie Steiner: Heart Full of Soul - Chris Isaak (The Yardbirds)
Hawks64: Sugar Man - Black Pumas (Sixto Rodriguez) - not sure if I'm familiar with the original. Listened to it and really liked it.
scorchy: Bad Girl - The Detroit Cobras (Original by Oblivians)
Chaos34: Oh Well - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers (Fleetwood Mac)
higgins: My Favorite Things - John Coltrane (Mary Martin, Patricia Neway)

:hifive:
The Dreaded Marco: Cortez the Killer - Built to Spill (Neil Young)

This is cover????????
Val Rannous: Hush - Deep Purple (Billy Joe Royal)

New-to-me covers from #9 that I very much enjoyed:

Hey Hey Helen - Lush (Abba) -- Lush-ious.
The Metro - System of a Down (Berlin) -- Shouldn't work on paper, but succeeds wildly.
Darkness, Darkness - Robert Plant (The Youngbloods) -- Amazing. As dynamic as some of his best Zep performances. We know he loves him some '60s hippie music (which is what he was performing before he met Jimmy Page). As I said earlier, there's another cover that is just as good as this one and the original.
The Maker - Dave Matthews Band (Daniel Lanois) -- A little long, but I like the vibe, and the bass shreddage from guest Victor Wooten.
Teardrop - Jose Gonzalez (Massive Attack) -- Another "vibe" song. Good for Netflixing and chilling.
Welcome to the Machine – Shadows Fall (Pink Floyd) -- Forthright instead of freaky, it still captures the helplessness and desperation of the original perfectly.
Loser/National Anthem/In The Air Tonight mashup - Umphrey's McGee (Beck/Radiohead/Phil Collins) -- Elegantly constructed.
Light My Fire - The Four Tops (The Doors) -- Wonderful. The vibe of the original shines through but the approach is so different.
Six More Miles - Mike Ness (Hank Williams) -- I hear some Neil in this approach. From when he mixed bona fide country (with fiddles and such) with more aggressive rock rhythms (as opposed to the lighter "country rock" of After the Gold Rush, Harvest and CSNY). Think side 1 of American Stars 'N Bars, side 2 of Hawks and Doves or his live work with the International Harvesters (but not the Old Ways album he did with them, which mostly sucks).
Redemption Song - Richard Bona (Bob Marley) -- Another "vibe" recording that I enjoyed.

And I want to reiterate how much I love NIN's Joy Division cover. Contender for the best "find" of this thing for me. This was a very strong round.

- This version of "Light My Fire" by the Four Tops has a lounge vibe about it. Its arrangement reminds me of something you'd hear in a lounge bar while chillin'. I dig it.
sizzle, sizzle, sizzle me baby, light my fire, wooo 🚬 🍸

- This cover of "Redemption Song" by Richard Bona and Richard Brecker is relaxing. 🧘‍♀️
- "Hey Hey Helen" by Lush is good. It sounds different than ABBA's original in a good way.
- The Flying Burrito Brothers sneak in a pedal steel by Sneaky Pete on the greatest song about sneaking around, and it sounds great. "Dark End of the Street" is one of my favorite songs.
- The transitions in "The National Loser Anthem" by Umphrey's McGee are seamless. It's very well done.
- The "Teardrop" cover by José González is great. I like the guitar and vocals in his version.
- I like the vocals on DMB's live cover of "The Maker."
- "You Really Got Me" by VH rocks. It rocks even more with "Eruption" leading in.
- System of a Down sound like they had several pots of coffee the day they recorded "The Metro." 🤘 😵‍💫 🤘
- I like Otis Redding's rendition of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" better than the Stones' original. Otis has a lot of emotion and spirit in those scratchy soul vocals of his, and that coupled with the horns gives me satisfaction when hearing it. Otis + Stax = :heart:

Don Quixote:

Needles and Pins - The Searchers (Jackie DeShannon)
Song: two votes – The Searchers (1); The Ramones (1)
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: three votes – Needles and Pins (2); Bette Davis Eyes (1)
Well, I suppose see now why I corrected earlier when the original was attributed to The Searchers. I did not realize that either before this exercise. I was about to include Petula Clark’s French version, La Nuit N’en Finit Plus. When I was putting list together with original, I realized the original was Jackie DeShannon and not The Searchers. Then realized I liked The Searchers’ version more than Petula Clark’s, so subbed that one in (sorry Petula).

And I’m down to only one of my top 5 that I still have the chance of “owning.”

The #9s were very familiar territory. Three other people who chose the same pairing as I, and three others who I share a song (that’s been revealed on my list) with. Plus of course songs we’ve seen earlier in the countdown. Still, I was able to find a lot of songs I liked and usually wish I’d thought of considering.

Recognized by title alone: 22
Sounded familiar: 3
Didn’t Know: 7

Selected Favorites:
Don’t Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston
Man of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys
Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
Ball of Confusion - Love and Rockets

Hadn’t heard before, but liked
Summertime - Doc & Merle Watson
The Maker - Dave Matthews Band
Teardrop - Jose Gonzalez
Light My Fire - The Four Tops
Six More Miles - Mike Ness

The 23 pointers

Known and liked covers

Don't leave me this way- didn't recognize by name but knew it when I heard it
You really got Me- pretty sure this will appear again
Try a little Tenderness - didn't know it was a cover
Dead Souls- didn't know it was a cover
Ball of Confusion

Liked covers of known songs

Summertime
Over the Rainbow
Africa
The Metro- wow,what a surprise!
Loser Anthem - interesting and flows really well

New to me likes

Needles and Pins
Hey hey Helen
Darkness Darkness
Dark end of the Street

Eeeew. It's been 40 years, and I still get... ...twichy when I see a NC State uniform. They cause horrible flashbacks to Derek Wittenburg and Lorenzo Charles.

Go Coogs.
Houston was one almost-tipped pass from winning that thing.
Yep, if Benny Anders fingers were like a couple of millimeters longer we could have won that thing. Ripped my heart out. Of course, as a Houston sports fan in general in the 80's, I was used to disappointment.

22 pointers

This is what I'm here for:
Charlie Steiner: I Feel Love - Blue Man Group (feat. Venus Hum) (Donna Summer)
zamboni: America - Yes (Simon & Garfunkel)
scorchy: I Can’t Go For That - The Bird And The Bee (Hall & Oates)
Oliver Humanzee: Little Honda - Yo La Tengo (Beach Boys)

Obvious favorites:
Just Win Baby: Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin (Jake Holmes)
Val Rannous: Pretty Woman - Van Halen (Roy Orbison)

Other favorites:
Uruk-Hai: Freedom Highway - Rhiannon Giddens (Staple Singers)
Dr. Octopus: Tryin' to Get to Heaven - Phosphorescent (Robert Zimmerman)
simsarge: In My Life - Johnny Cash (The Beatles)

Had no idea these were covers, so listening to the original felt like I was listening to a cover that I really liked:
Pip’s Invitation: Oye Como Va – Santana (Tito Puente)
Don Quixote: Wild Thing - The Troggs (Wild Ones)

Twenty-three pointers

This is what I'm here for:
Dr. Octopus: I Shall Be Released - Wilco and Fleet Foxes (Robert Zimmerman) - How have I not heard this?
Raging weasel: Welcome to the Machine – Shadows Fall (Pink Floyd)
DrIanMalcolm: Light My Fire - The Four Tops (The Doors)

Other favorites:
Pip’s Invitation/Galileo/Andy Dufresne/Mt. Man: You Really Got Me – Van Halen (The Kinks)
simey: Summertime - Doc & Merle Watson (Helen Jepson)
simsarge: Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Judy Garland)
John Maddens Lunchbox: The Metro - System of a Down (Berlin)
Eephus: Darkness, Darkness - Robert Plant (The Youngbloods)
Hawks64: The Maker - Dave Matthews Band (Daniel Lanois)
landrys hat: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Otis Redding (Rolling Stones)

Didn't know this was a cover:
Uruk-Hai: Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston (Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes) - I'm pretty sure this is some Art Bell bumper music

I was going to combine* the 22- and 23-pointers in my comments; alas work :rant: kept me from listening to the 23s or doing anything else fun until just now. So here are a few uninteresting thoughts on the 22-pointers. I didn't find the new-to-me ones much to my liking, but in large part the issue was that I already knew most of these (and love many of them). A few standouts:

The Tears of a Clown by the (English) Beat - I've probably heard this before but didn't remember. I loved the bass parts.
I Can't Go for That by the bird and the bee - I just realized that actually this was the one where I loved the bass line. I'm not going back up to correct the prior entry.
Little Honda by Yo La Tengo - another I've probably heard given OH's proximity. Perhaps I liked the bass here, too? I don't know; I'm just really tired.

Sorry, these comments are lame!

Special shout-out to Unchained Melody and Wild Thing, which I should have considered except that I didn't even know they were covers.

* I was going to do a footnote here but am tired.

23.ee - Robert Plant - "Darkness, Darkness" (The Youngbloods cover)

The original:
This song was written by the underrated Jesse Colin Young for The Youngbloods' third album in 1969. The original has a droning string part and a delayed overdubbed vocal on the second verse. The song has been covered by many artists which is a pretty good indicator of a quality tune. Jesse Colin is still performing at age 82; he played a handful of dates in 2023 following a full tour the previous year.

The cover: Plant covered "Darkness, Darkness" in 2002 on his Dreamlands album. He slows the song down a tick and stretches it out to nearly double the length of the original. I like how the arrangement builds from Plant's voice accompanied only by a Wurlitzer piano to a maelstrom of guitars with Plant vocalizing above it.

Is the cover better than the original?: Plant is one of the great Rock singers because he's capable of either whispering tenderly or howling at Valhalla. He gets to do a little of both on this song which makes it better than Young's thinner tenor. I have a lot of respect for Plant and his post-Zeppelin career. He's stayed true to his roots of Blues, North African and Folk and put out music that's connected to his old band's history without coming off sounding like Greta Van Fleet.

Running scoreboard: Covers 12 - Originals 11

Users who are viewing this thread