What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (5 Viewers)

I can't do covers, sorry.

I didn't know of your aversion to covers until this thread. Interesting.

There was a bit of back and forth about it during MAD Part 2. To be honest, it's a reason that I slowed on the overall playlists and waiting for the artist ones. There is no consistency whatsoever in what I do or don't like, but there is definitely strong opinions and reactions.

Example: I was thinking about doing a Deep Purple deep dive, and stopped after an album and a half because I was getting pissed I was hearing Beatles and Neil Diamond tunes. :lol:
Yeah, stick to the Ian Gillian and David Coverdale albums if you don't like covers; their early records with Rod Evans are full of them. Chances are you won't like Concerto for Group and Orchestra either.

There was a bit of back and forth about it during MAD Part 2. To be honest, it's a reason that I slowed on the overall playlists and waiting for the artist ones. There is no consistency whatsoever in what I do or don't like, but there is definitely strong opinions and reactions.

Example: I was thinking about doing a Deep Purple deep dive, and stopped after an album and a half because I was getting pissed I was hearing Beatles and Neil Diamond tunes. :lol:
My father and stepmother took my siblings and I to see Neil Diamond at MSG in 1985. This was technically my first concert. I REALLY wanted him to play Kentucky Woman and he didn't.

Yeah, stick to the Ian Gillian and David Coverdale albums if you don't like covers; their early records with Rod Evans are full of them. Chances are you won't like Concerto for Group and Orchestra either.
Sometimes context is what it is for me, and I generally don't like them on albums. Stuff like bonus tracks on soundtracks or singles or a tribute album I seem to give more of a pass too. Again, fully aware I don't make much sense. Especially on Taliesyn - I was really digging the first 2 tracks then hit Kentucky Woman and WTF?? Seems more common on 60s albums I come across.

And naturally ten minutes after submitting I find one of my favourite bands covering one of my favourite bands with a track that I wasn't aware existed despite neither releasing anything for a quarter of a century

You can re-submit if you wish. This leads me to an

ANNOUNCE:

Unlike prior countdowns, I'll let you make unlimited list changes until I date I will arbitrarily select. OK, it's not arbitrary...let's say you can make unlimited changes through Friday, January 12. Thereafter you will be limited to one change per customer.

And also an

ANNOUNCE2:

Please remember to send me the artist name from the original version (or "unknown" or "traditional" if it's old-timey and can't reasonably be determined). This will have two benefits: (1) it will force you to confirm that these are indeed covers, and more importantly (B) it will make me do less work.

Last edited:
ANNOUNCE2:

Please remember to send me the artist name from the original version (or "unknown" if it's old-timey and can't reasonably be determined). This will have two benefits: (1) it will force you to confirm that these are indeed covers, and more importantly (B) it will make me do less work.

Oh, and (iii) it allows me to shift the blame to you if the info is wrong.

Q: Is a reworking of a song by the same artist a cover? In other words, can an artist cover its own song?
A: My answer for these purposes will be no. An exception, however, will be made for the same artist merely appearing in a later version. For instance, if Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is later covered by Billy's new band, the Uruk-Hais, then you can draft the Uruk-Hais' version as a cover, and vice versa. I'm not going to get into band lineup changes and will be basing this purely on artist name. If it's different, then it's eligible.
I've been thinking about this one. What if an artist (not too well-known) plays their one well-known song (well known among nerds, but was not a hit) with a rock legend live on stage. For example, Tiny Tim walks out on stage and performs Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Elvis? I'm thinking of a rock song, but I'll bet there are many instances of this involving old Blues artists.

Ehhh, my impulse would be to say no to one-offs like that, unless they were released on a record, but I’m open to whatever the crowd thinks.

Hear ye, hear ye!

Despite my posting this morning that we wouldn't allow one-off live versions and would require that a song have been released on a record, I see the question has come up several more times [insert first of many references to no one reading my posts], and it appears some people very much wish to include these, so that's fine. Any cover otherwise filling the requirements set forth in the first post will be allowed. And to answer shuke's question that shuke didn't answer, we've always allowed either Spotify or Youtube links, as mentioned in the first post that no one read.
It will be worth it. Trust me.
I was making a dig at what Im going to do with covers, not you lol

While I want to say that we need to have some sort of "I never knew that was a cover" count prop bet, I trust the MAD's to do enough research to cover most eventualities

Having seen what passed for "research" in prior countdowns, I fear your confidence is misplaced. :lol:

That's the fun of it. There's 7 on my list that if I didn't know they were covers, I wouldn't know they were covers. One of which I have also selected a cover of. We can go for any number we want!

Last edited:
Some folks from the British Isles countdown who haven't checked in yet. I'll check the other two countdowns for any others shortly.

I'm in, though I suspect my list will be more chalky than most, if there is such a thing for covers.

Would you guys prefer a list of Kidz Bop or Alvin and the Chipmunks music?
It happened - my friends and I actually I listened to it quite a bit back then.
I remember their version of “Refugee”. I don’t recall “Good Girls Don’t “ — did the Chipmunks do the original lyrics? A little racy for a kid’s album.

And “Let’s Go”? I love the night life, baby! For most of the album’s audience, “night life” was staying up to watch CHiPs and then getting into their footed PJs.

There are some prominent instances of cover medleys — two separate originals combined into a single medley track. Those are fair game, I presume?

Would you guys prefer a list of Kidz Bop or Alvin and the Chipmunks music?
It happened - my friends and I actually I listened to it quite a bit back then.
I remember their version of “Refugee”. I don’t recall “Good Girls Don’t “ — did the Chipmunks do the original lyrics? A little racy for a kid’s album.
Not sure but I doubt they changed it. Probably not something they thought too much about it back then.

Q: Is a reworking of a song by the same artist a cover? In other words, can an artist cover its own song?
A: My answer for these purposes will be no. An exception, however, will be made for the same artist merely appearing in a later version. For instance, if Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is later covered by Billy's new band, the Uruk-Hais, then you can draft the Uruk-Hais' version as a cover, and vice versa. I'm not going to get into band lineup changes and will be basing this purely on artist name. If it's different, then it's eligible.
I've been thinking about this one. What if an artist (not too well-known) plays their one well-known song (well known among nerds, but was not a hit) with a rock legend live on stage. For example, Tiny Tim walks out on stage and performs Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Elvis? I'm thinking of a rock song, but I'll bet there are many instances of this involving old Blues artists.

Ehhh, my impulse would be to say no to one-offs like that, unless they were released on a record, but I’m open to whatever the crowd thinks.

Hear ye, hear ye!

Despite my posting this morning that we wouldn't allow one-off live versions and would require that a song have been released on a record, I see the question has come up several more times [insert first of many references to no one reading my posts], and it appears some people very much wish to include these, so that's fine. Any cover otherwise filling the requirements set forth in the first post will be allowed. And to answer shuke's question that shuke didn't answer, we've always allowed either Spotify or Youtube links, as mentioned in the first post that no one read.
That's fine; I was :topcat: because I thought you were stepping on my Indiana Jones impression. He always said 'Trust me' right before his plans went sideways.

It made sense in my head. :shrug:

Hear ye, hear ye!

That's fine; I was :topcat: because I thought you were stepping on my Indiana Jones impression. He always said 'Trust me' right before his plans went sideways.

It made sense in my head. :shrug:
Thats ok. Im pretty stupid.
Cultural references go down on me like a lead balloon

What if the medley includes originals and covers lol?

I've run across a few ... but my inclination is just to play it clean and exclude these. I've got a plenty long enough list without them.

EDIT: And there was one fave that I thought was an original and cover smashed together ... but I learned that the album release treats the two as separate tracks (albeit without a pause between the two). They're just always played back-to-back on the radio. So the pick is golden.

The deeper that I go, the more that I realize how fun this will be. Was adding one cover of a song that had in another MAD countdown, or so I thought that was the original, until I realized that the MAD song itself was a cover.

What if the medley includes originals and covers lol?

I've run across a few ... but my inclination is just to play it clean and exclude these. I've got a plenty long enough list without them.

EDIT: And there was one fave that I thought was an original and cover smashed together ... but I learned that the album release treats the two as separate tracks (albeit without a pause between the two). They're just always played back-to-back on the radio. So the pick is golden.

Yeah, seems not cover-y enough and possibly too cute. There's so much to choose from that we don't need to go there.

Probably In. My goal is to not use any of the songs that I already did while jet setting with a bunch of MADs across the US, British Isles, and World. Also, one of my top 5 favorite covers is not on Spotify. :frown:
Same here. I won't be repeating anything and there are many covers which are classics for good reason but are not songs I listen to much anymore and won't be making my list. This is more capturing the cover songs I most love right now.

Probably In. My goal is to not use any of the songs that I already did while jet setting with a bunch of MADs across the US, British Isles, and World. Also, one of my top 5 favorite covers is not on Spotify. :frown:
I was thinking about that when starting on my list. If I truly did favorites, then my top slots would be taken by songs I selected in the other three countdowns. I like your idea not to repeat.

I been thinking on this but not list building yet. Well, until just now with my morning coffee. I made a self-imposed rule: No Dylan or Beatles covers. I chose 13 pretty fast. Two I've drafted before. One of which will likely be top 5, I s'pose. Another hurts to remember and I might drop it. It's not as good now as when it happened. Then one more I think might get some love. Oops, I drafted it before too. So three of those already. I think nine of these will be unique to me, including one I've drafted before.

Then I just looked at my profile pic. Oof, that's a special five string in reggae colors. So many pop and rock songs turned reggae covers I love. I don't wanna be paring down a list of 80 again, but that's probably my destiny. :)

I was thinking about that when starting on my list. If I truly did favorites, then my top slots would be taken by songs I selected in the other three countdowns. I like your idea not to repeat.
There is one artist who has two covers I love. I spotlighted one of them in another thread, so I went with the other one for this countdown.

Otherwise I didn't pay too much attention to what I've drafted/spotlighted before, but most of my selections are things I haven't said much/anything about in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread