What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (2 Viewers)

Q: Is a reworking of a song by the same artist a cover? In other words, can an artist cover its own song?
A: My answer for these purposes will be no. An exception, however, will be made for the same artist merely appearing in a later version. For instance, if Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is later covered by Billy's new band, the Uruk-Hais, then you can draft the Uruk-Hais' version as a cover, and vice versa. I'm not going to get into band lineup changes and will be basing this purely on artist name. If it's different, then it's eligible.
The reverse of this scenario happens with some frequency - but with the "artist's name must be different" rule, identification of these kinds of covers is clear.

EDIT: Oh, and this one, I'd like to be IN.

I started with the idea of finding 31 covers that I think are better than the originals fully expecting to run out of songs until I had to move on to covers that I thought were just good, but I was able to find 31!

In other news, someone broke into my house and stole all my anti-depressants. I hope they're happy.

Also what's with the Joe Cocker hate? Just overplayed? I always used to say the only way to make a Beatles song better is to have Joe Cocker cover it. That's not a dad joke, btw.
It's a deep well. My greatest difficulty will be ranking songs - without constantly changing my mind.

Do these have to be officially released songs or can they be live recordings? Do they have to be on Spotify?

I've PM'ed shuke a few times but haven't heard back.
I made a long list and then went through it to see what was and was not on Spotify. I cut what was not on Spotify. A few entries on my list are live recordings but have been officially released on albums.

Do these have to be officially released songs or can they be live recordings? Do they have to be on Spotify?

I made a long list and then went through it to see what was and was not on Spotify. I cut what was not on Spotify. A few entries on my list are live recordings but have been officially released on albums.
I'm doing the same, and will use my "last five out" for live-only performances.

1. Mine is going to be a mix of songs available on Spotify and youtube only. Can't be avoided.

2. I'm hoping only 1/3 of the songs on my list appear on others' lists.

Nothing in the rules about them having to be recorded versions.
One of my lists is going to BE mainly live recordings
Youtube is good enough for me

Q: Is a reworking of a song by the same artist a cover? In other words, can an artist cover its own song?
A: My answer for these purposes will be no. An exception, however, will be made for the same artist merely appearing in a later version. For instance, if Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is later covered by Billy's new band, the Uruk-Hais, then you can draft the Uruk-Hais' version as a cover, and vice versa. I'm not going to get into band lineup changes and will be basing this purely on artist name. If it's different, then it's eligible.
I've been thinking about this one. What if an artist (not too well-known) plays their one well-known song (well known among nerds, but was not a hit) with a rock legend live on stage. For example, Tiny Tim walks out on stage and performs Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Elvis? I'm thinking of a rock song, but I'll bet there are many instances of this involving old Blues artists.

Ehhh, my impulse would be to say no to one-offs like that, unless they were released on a record, but I’m open to whatever the crowd thinks.

Hear ye, hear ye!

Despite my posting this morning that we wouldn't allow one-off live versions and would require that a song have been released on a record, I see the question has come up several more times [insert first of many references to no one reading my posts], and it appears some people very much wish to include these, so that's fine. Any cover otherwise filling the requirements set forth in the first post will be allowed. And to answer shuke's question that shuke didn't answer, we've always allowed either Spotify or Youtube links, as mentioned in the first post that no one read.

I've been thinking about this one. What if an artist (not too well-known) plays their one well-known song (well known among nerds, but was not a hit) with a rock legend live on stage. For example, Tiny Tim walks out on stage and performs Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Elvis? I'm thinking of a rock song, but I'll bet there are many instances of this involving old Blues artists.

Ehhh, my impulse would be to say no to one-offs like that, unless they were released on a record, but I’m open to whatever the crowd thinks.

Hear ye, hear ye!

Despite my posting this morning that we wouldn't allow one-off live versions and would require that a song have been released on a record, I see the question has come up several more times [insert first of many references to no one reading my posts], and it appears some people very much wish to include these, so that's fine. Any cover otherwise filling the requirements set forth in the first post will be allowed. And to answer shuke's question that shuke didn't answer, we've always allowed either Spotify or Youtube links, as mentioned in the first post that no one read.
It will be worth it. Trust me.

Hear ye, hear ye!

I know personally I listen to the playlists and seldom click on YouTube links - too many commercials for one thing - so I think you’ll lose some audience with lists that are just live YouTube clips for those that do so.

I would have thought a covers list should only include recorded and released versions - that kind of seemed implied - but in the end I guess I really just couldn’t find it in me to care too much what’s allowed and what isn’t.

Should be fun as always to hear some new stuff nevertheless.

@falguy or @KarmaPolice , would you be able to help with the playlists?
Maybe.

Question for a friend: will y'all get the covers out of your system with this countdown so no more show up in MAD31s? ;)

I was also thinking that since Christmas songs are so old and re-recorded, you can easily do this countdown with all Christmas songs!!!!!
How about 31 Christmas songs by David Hasselhoff?
That violates the Geneva Conventions.

I know personally I listen to the playlists and seldom click on YouTube links - too many commercials for one thing - so I think you’ll lose some audience with lists that are just live YouTube clips for those that do so.

I would have thought a covers list should only include recorded and released versions - that kind of seemed implied - but in the end I guess I really just couldn’t find it in me to care too much what’s allowed and what isn’t.

Should be fun as always to hear some new stuff nevertheless.

I'm in agreeance with your perspective and hope that people will tend to go with picks that we can put on a playlist, since that's a big part of the fun, and as I had previously posted (blahblah), I expected it would be something that was officially released. But (1) we have some people who are not Spotify users anyway, and (2) we always have a few that do something "interesting" or semi-schtick-y with their lists, and I don't want to discourage anyone's participation.

Unsure if I'll be in for this one, if only because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get enough content without spamming live covers

Was wondering the same. I can leave most all songs that are live-only on the cutting room floor, but I'm not sure the odds-on favorite for top cover was ever actually released as a recording.

EDIT: NVM, I see it listed on Spotify.

By the way, I can't figure out which song you're referring to here. There is one I thought would be the slam-dunk favorite, but there's no question about whether it was a recording. I've always been wrong in my predictions on these things, though.

Im going to follow along and comment but I will pass on participating in this one. I've done them all so far and the last one I faded a bit and really didn't hold up my end in commenting on other's picks. Got a busy Feb/March coming up so sidelines works good for me.

Some folks from the British Isles countdown who haven't checked in yet. I'll check the other two countdowns for any others shortly.

@Yankee23Fan @Eephus (think you're in but not sure about ditka and Mrs. Eephus) @Just Win Baby @AAABatteries @Manster @jwb @Val Rannous (@Mrs. Rannous , any info?) @Chaos34 @scorchy @Andy Dufresne @Sullie @Mt. Man @Zegras11 @cosjobs @Hov34 @DrIanMalcolm (@Pip's Invitation , any info?) @timschochet @falguy
@Westerberg @worrierking @simey @landrys hat @simsarge @MAC_32 @Chaz McNulty

I could be in for the playlists, but two challenges. First, I'm gone for 2 weeks mid Feb and another week at the of March. Second, if the cover isn't on a recorded and released album it's going to be impossible to find.

No problem, there is plenty of time for you to change your travel plans.
I am sure we can coordinate if necessary :lmao:

Maybe we could get someone else to step in while you're gone, or in some cases I can give you the songs in advance to make the playlist. Just don't want to overwhelm you with a billion advance requests for a two-week absence, though.

I also have a couple of short trips Feb. 17-19 and Feb. 29-March 3, so we could take breaks then.

By the way, are you going to submit a list? Same question for you, @KarmaPolice ? I didn't add you to my tags above because you'd been in the thread, but realized you hadn't committed.

Unsure if I'll be in for this one, if only because I'm not sure if I'll be able to get enough content without spamming live covers

They're going to be allowed. :shrug:
Never suggesting they wouldn't be, just don't want to commit to using one source of songs to submit from really. Think I'll get one in, just a case of being able to find the source material really

Understand, and sounds good. I wanted to be sure you knew they were allowed, because I originally said they wouldn't be. But of course no one read that post.

They're going to be allowed. :shrug:
Never suggesting they wouldn't be, just don't want to commit to using one source of songs to submit from really. Think I'll get one in, just a case of being able to find the source material really

Understand, and sounds good. I wanted to be sure you knew they were allowed, because I originally said they wouldn't be. But of course no one read that post.
Ah, I see. On about five minutes of research I think I should be fine for mostly studio covers anyway

Some folks from the British Isles countdown who haven't checked in yet. I'll check the other two countdowns for any others shortly.

@Yankee23Fan @Eephus (think you're in but not sure about ditka and Mrs. Eephus) @Just Win Baby @AAABatteries @Manster @jwb @Val Rannous (@Mrs. Rannous , any info?) @Chaos34 @scorchy @Andy Dufresne @Sullie @Mt. Man @Zegras11 @cosjobs @Hov34 @DrIanMalcolm (@Pip's Invitation , any info?) @timschochet @falguy
@Westerberg @worrierking @simey @landrys hat @simsarge @MAC_32 @Chaz McNulty

I'm probably in :oldunsure:

I'll mention it to @ditkaburgers but I'm dreading telling her those aren't covers on the evening of the 26th.

Im going to follow along and comment but I will pass on participating in this one. I've done them all so far and the last one I faded a bit and really didn't hold up my end in commenting on other's picks. Got a busy Feb/March coming up so sidelines works good for me.
I will pick up the slack with Neil. Just because he's not on Spotify doesn't mean that people who cover him aren't.

I could be in for the playlists, but two challenges. First, I'm gone for 2 weeks mid Feb and another week at the of March. Second, if the cover isn't on a recorded and released album it's going to be impossible to find.

Maybe we could get someone else to step in while you're gone, or in some cases I can give you the songs in advance to make the playlist. Just don't want to overwhelm you with a billion advance requests for a two-week absence, though.

I also have a couple of short trips Feb. 17-19 and Feb. 29-March 3, so we could take breaks then.

By the way, are you going to submit a list? Same question for you, @KarmaPolice ? I didn't add you to my tags above because you'd been in the thread, but realized you hadn't committed.
I think I can get the list submitted in time, so count me in. Y'all know what I'm going to pick anyway :lmao:

I can't do covers, sorry.

I can help with the playlists, but maybe send me a quick pm as to you plan for timing, etc. All I need is some sort of list or spreadsheet.

As an aside I'm more or less certain some US based radio station went 24 hours playing only one song or covers there of and didn't get destroyed, so I'm fairly sure there is the ability, if not the inclination, for someone to put the same song in 31 times for comedy value

I can't do covers, sorry.

I didn't know of your aversion to covers until this thread. Interesting.

There was a bit of back and forth about it during MAD Part 2. To be honest, it's a reason that I slowed on the overall playlists and waiting for the artist ones. There is no consistency whatsoever in what I do or don't like, but there is definitely strong opinions and reactions.

Example: I was thinking about doing a Deep Purple deep dive, and stopped after an album and a half because I was getting pissed I was hearing Beatles and Neil Diamond tunes. :lol:

I've done maybe two hours of research so far today, and already discovered 3 new artists I'd never heard of before who have absolutely floored me with amazing covers of songs I previously thought were uncoverable. This might be my favorite one of these.

Also, I get to use my favorite dad joke at the grocery store later today. My wife requested leek soup for dinner this weekend, so when I'm checking out and the bagger is bagging the groceries, I'll give my usual "Hey! Look out, there's a leek in that bag!" :lmao:

Don't worry, I am not here to throw a turd in the punchbowl either. Just not my thing, and I am way behind on MAD31 listening because I get side tracked doing dozens of playlists on my own too. Please PM me if I miss a playlist or something needs to be changed.

Hear ye, hear ye!

It will be worth it. Trust me.
Maybe not lol

Users who are viewing this thread