What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (3 Viewers)

krista4

Footballguy
OK, let's do this thing! Please join me in pulling out your worst puns and dad jokes while the middle-aged dummies cover a lot of new ground!

What to do: send me a list of your top 31 cover songs by the end of the day on January 26.* I'll start the countdown the following week. Unlike the prior countdowns, I might or might not post a new entry every day - we'll see how the timing shakes out in terms of everyone's ability to listen to the playlists. Of course, because of the duplication in our lists, these playlists don't take quite as long to get through.

There is no limit to the number of songs you can take from any single artist - either as the coverer or the coveree - and no limit to how many times you can select covers of the same song.

At first I thought this countdown, unlike the PITA requirements of the prior ones, wouldn't require any vetting. Then I realized that, while it will be easier, some vetting will still be necessary. What is a cover, exactly? I've thought through the following questions and done a lot of research, but there is no set definition of "cover" so I'm making some calls on these issues. Let's work all that out before we get started:

Q: Is a cover based on who recorded a song or who wrote it?
A: Generally speaking what is an "original" is based on who recorded it first, and for ease of use I am going to say it's not only who recorded it but who released it first. I'm not going to have time to get into details of "so-and-so recorded it in their basement but didn't put it out until a day later than this other so-and-so." An original for our purposes will be the first released recording of a song, and a cover is everything thereafter.

Q: So you're saying, Ms. 4, that if a song was written by the world's greatest band in 1963 and given to their paste-eating brother band to record, and then WGB later released the same song after PEBB did, then we'll consider the PEBB version the original and the WGB version a cover of the song they actually wrote.
A: Yes.

Q: Are you sure? Shouldn't we care about the songwriters?
A: Stop it.

Q: Is a reworking of a song by the same artist a cover? In other words, can an artist cover its own song?
A: My answer for these purposes will be no. An exception, however, will be made for the same artist merely appearing in a later version. For instance, if Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is later covered by Billy's new band, the Uruk-Hais, then you can draft the Uruk-Hais' version as a cover, and vice versa. I'm not going to get into band lineup changes and will be basing this purely on artist name. If it's different, then it's eligible.

Q: What about artists who change their own names without line-up changes, like Cat Stevens or Prince or whatever the hell John Lennon and Paul McCartney were doing in the 70s?
A: Screw those guys.

Q: Hey, I'm a big fan of spirituals and hymns and other old-timey stuff (and frankly don't appreciate your language in the prior answer). What are we going to do about those?
A: Assume the recordings are all covers unless evidence clearly shows otherwise after minimal research by me.

Q: I have other questions. What should I do?
A: PM @shuke , of course.

Before we get started PLEASE (Re-)READ this requirement regarding formatting, which I have cleverly copied from my own prior post. We can call this a "cover version" of that post! "Lesson learned from last time: have entries formatted somewhat similarly so that I don't spend hours upon hours reformatting every entry. Please send your list with the song name first, then the artist name, and please put your top choice (31 points) at the top of your list. If you want my undying loyalty, you will also send links (either Spotify or YouTube is fine) - preferably hyperlinks within the song title - but they are not required. The requested formatting is required, however, and I'll return any entries that aren't in that format. Also, a couple of people sent them last time with the artist name as if in an alphabetical list - such as "Spinners, The" or "Wonder, Stevie." Please don't do this. Just type out the artist name as it exists."

EDITEDIT: For submissions, please use this format: Song title - Song cover artist (original artist)

:thanks:

*Negotiable based on group preference.

Last edited:
Last 5 Out Posts & Playlist

1 Pt Post & Playlist

2 Pt Post & Playlist

3 Pt Post & Playlist

4 Pt Post & Playlist

5 Pt Post & Playlist

6 Pt Post & Playlist

7 Pt Post & Playlist

8 Pt Post & Playlist

9 Pt Posts & Playlist

10 Pt Posts & Playlist

11 Pt Posts & Playlist

12 Pt Posts & Playlist

13 Pt Posts & Playlist

14 Pt Posts & Playlist

15 Pt Posts & Playlist

16 Pt Posts & Playlist

17 Pt Posts & Playlist

18 Pt Posts & Playlist

19 Pt Posts & Playlist

20 Pt Posts & Playlist

21 Pt Posts & Playlist

22 Pt Posts & Playlist

23 Pt Posts & Playlist

24 Pt Posts & Playlist

25 Pt Posts & Playlist

26 Pt Posts & Playlist

27 Pt Posts & Playlist

28 Pt Posts & Playlist

29 Pt Posts & Playlist

30 Pt Posts & Playlist

31 Pt Posts & Playlist

Last edited:
Reserved for participants and status of lists. For now please post if you're going to be IN!

IN:
krista4 (y)
Oliver Humanzee as always under duress (y)
shuke (y)
Mister CIA (y)
Don Quixote (y)
the cover version of Binky the Doormat (y)
zamboni (y)
Scoresman (y)
rockaction (y)
higgins (y)
Pip's Invitation (y)
Mrs. Rannous (y)
JML (y)
Mystery JML (y)
Uruk-Hai (y)
Raging weasel (y)
Ilov80s (y)
Dr. Octopus (y)
tuffnutt :huh:
Charlie Steiner (y)
Doug B (y)
titusbramble (y)
Yankee23Fan :huh:
Chaos34 (y)
Eephus (y)
Hawks64 (y)
DrIanMalcolm (y)
Andy Dufresne (y)
Mt Man (y)
Just Win Baby (y)
simey (y)
Galileo (y)
scorchy (y)
simsarge (y)
The Dreaded Marco (y)
Zegras11
Val Rannous (y)
landrys hat(y)

Last edited:
As always, there will be contests and charitable donations. I'll figure that all out as we go along and am open to suggestions. Middle-aged dummy countdowns veterans will know that we'll have one straightforward contest (naming the top 10 or whatever) and one SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111

Before we get started PLEASE (Re-)READ this requirement regarding formatting, which I have cleverly copied from my own prior post. We can call this a "cover version" of that post! "Lesson learned from last time: have entries formatted somewhat similarly so that I don't spend hours upon hours reformatting every entry. Please send your list with the song name first, then the artist name, and please put your top choice (31 points) at the top of your list. If you want my undying loyalty, you will also send links (either Spotify or YouTube is fine) - preferably hyperlinks within the song title - but they are not required. The requested formatting is required, however, and I'll return any entries that aren't in that format. Also, a couple of people sent them last time with the artist name as if in an alphabetical list - such as "Spinners, The" or "Wonder, Stevie." Please don't do this. Just type out the artist name as it exists."
How would you like us to denote the original artist, if at all? Something like this?

Fishmongers Are The Best -- Seattle Coffee Boys (Bob Dylan cover)

Oh, and IN.

I presume we will be allowed to submit Last 5 Out as well? I have those already.

I should have mentioned that - definitely love to have the last five out!

How would you like us to denote the original artist, if at all? Something like this?

Fishmongers Are The Best -- Seattle Coffee Boys (Bob Dylan cover)

Damn it! This is what happens when a cover is too faithful to the original. I should have clarified my original copied post for this. I'll edit it. But I very much like the way you've suggested, so let's go with that.

(And how did you know that was going to be one of my top 31?!)

As always, there will be contests and charitable donations. I'll figure that all out as we go along and am open to suggestions. Middle-aged dummy countdowns veterans will know that we'll have one straightforward contest (naming the top 10 or whatever) and one SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111
Artist with most points as coverer
Artist with most points as coveree
Song with most points
Song with most cover versions selected

Q: Is a reworking of a song by the same artist a cover? In other words, can an artist cover its own song?
A: My answer for these purposes will be no. An exception, however, will be made for the same artist merely appearing in a later version. For instance, if Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is later covered by Billy's new band, the Uruk-Hais, then you can draft the Uruk-Hais' version as a cover, and vice versa. I'm not going to get into band lineup changes and will be basing this purely on artist name. If it's different, then it's eligible.
I've been thinking about this one. What if an artist (not too well-known) plays their one well-known song (well known among nerds, but was not a hit) with a rock legend live on stage. For example, Tiny Tim walks out on stage and performs Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Elvis? I'm thinking of a rock song, but I'll bet there are many instances of this involving old Blues artists.

I've been thinking about this one. What if an artist (not too well-known) plays their one well-known song (well known among nerds, but was not a hit) with a rock legend live on stage. For example, Tiny Tim walks out on stage and performs Tip Toe Through the Tulips with Elvis? I'm thinking of a rock song, but I'll bet there are many instances of this involving old Blues artists.

Ehhh, my impulse would be to say no to one-offs like that, unless they were released on a record, but I’m open to whatever the crowd thinks.

@falguy or @KarmaPolice , would you be able to help with the playlists?

Ugh, I meant @Hawks64 , not @falguy . Falguy did stats.

Ehhh, my impulse would be to say no to one-offs like that, unless they were released on a record, but I’m open to whatever the crowd thinks.

@falguy or @KarmaPolice , would you be able to help with the playlists?

Ugh, I meant @Hawks64 , not @falguy . Falguy did stats.
I could be in for the playlists, but two challenges. First, I'm gone for 2 weeks mid Feb and another week at the of March. Second, if the cover isn't on a recorded and released album it's going to be impossible to find.

Do these have to be officially released songs or can they be live recordings? Do they have to be on Spotify?

I've PM'ed shuke a few times but haven't heard back.
Was wondering the same. I can leave most all songs that are live-only on the cutting room floor, but I'm not sure the odds-on favorite for top cover was ever actually released as a recording.

EDIT: NVM, I see it listed on Spotify.

I started with the idea of finding 31 covers that I think are better than the originals fully expecting to run out of songs until I had to move on to covers that I thought were just good, but I was able to find 31!

In other news, someone broke into my house and stole all my anti-depressants. I hope they're happy.

Also what's with the Joe Cocker hate? Just overplayed? I always used to say the only way to make a Beatles song better is to have Joe Cocker cover it. That's not a dad joke, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread