What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** The 8-8 San Francisco 49ers - Let's forget 2014 thread *** (1 Viewer)

drummer said:
Rumor floating around that Jed and Co have been meddling with the offense, taking away a lot of things such as the pistol etc., that made things work. Makes sense, since meddling with the offense is a York staple (see: many years of offensive futility prior to Harbaugh, and even with, a mediocre passing game along with it).

My cynical mind tells me Jed is trying to derail Harbaugh so he can get his yes men in there, and also Kaep. Jed loved yes man Alex Smith. Harbaugh kinda made Jed look stupid with the switch, and Harbaugh was right doing it.

KEEP THE FAITH, 49ER FAITHFUL! - Meddle York, CEO of the San Francisco 49ers
Sounds like a fine conspiracy theory but what did Harbaugh really do to make York look stupid?
It's Jed's Twitter. During the time when they were going over Smith's 2012 contract, when they finally got it done, Jed tweeted "Sorry it took so long buddy" to Smith, that was public. He then later got benched for Kaep that season. Jed has been a long time Smith supporter, like his parents were. Two of the many reasons why both Nolan and Singletary were fired were over their handling of him.

This is why CEO's should not tweet about internal negotiations, even post contracts, but Jed ain't very bright in that area. Jed pandering to the Smith side of the fanbase thinks it makes him look like he knows what he is doing. CEO's have to make hard decisions and should not try to decide like fans. Or else, like one GM said, they will be in the same seats along with them.
Interesting. The NFL should probably make Ownership and management go through the same sort of social media training they put rookies through. Or something even more in depth.Seems like Kaepernick is going to be looking for new digs soon, if what you say is true. Can't say that he has helped his own cause much this year though. His play has been subpar and his attitude even worse. Do you think he is sour over York and managent as well?
Well, who knows, but GM Baalke is costing the team hard with his poor drafts. The loss of Willis and Bowman - two of which he didn't draft (Bowman is either more Scot McBoozin, or Singletary, since the draft board was set already) - hurts, especially on pass defense. A buddy of mine pointed that out to me today, to which I agree. Borland and Wilhoite can't handle the middle of the field as he pointed out, thus, SEA should feast on them this weekend.

How you can screw up a good thing is beyond me, but this isn't new with the Yorks. They probably think a paring of Jim Tomsula with Alex Smith is the better way to go just because they won only one meaningless game.

BTW, Singletary had to bull rush Baalke for Taylor Mays over Jimmy Clausen in the war room. Not that Mays was a great pick, but sheesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was also a report out earlier this season on how the team didn't like the way Harbaugh handled the Smith situation, so that may have an effect on Kaep as far as team chemistry today. Even though Vernon Davis and Anquan Boldin had great seasons in 2013 (VD's best), and Crabs thrives with Kaep.

Either way, I fear Jim Mora Jr. on the sideline more and more with Jed, Baalke and Maratheball in the FO. But at least I have the Baseball Giants (since the Lakers are crap too, and the Sharks will choke like South Bay teams do).

Any local SF peeps hear anything on the possibility that they go in a different direction QB wise, or that Kaep could be gone next year? I'm curious as to what local media/public is saying/thinking. Is Kaep gonna be there long term? I suppose it depends on the future coaching situation...if Harbaugh stays, so will Kaep. If Jimbo is out, it stands to reason that Kaep could be too.

Any local SF peeps hear anything on the possibility that they go in a different direction QB wise, or that Kaep could be gone next year? I'm curious as to what local media/public is saying/thinking. Is Kaep gonna be there long term? I suppose it depends on the future coaching situation...if Harbaugh stays, so will Kaep. If Jimbo is out, it stands to reason that Kaep could be too.
I haven't heard anything as to Kaep being released. Funny thing is he is less popular with the fans than Smith was, and Kaep has done more as a QB for the franchise, even passing wise than Smith. Then again, 49er fans made death threats against Steve Young that had Leigh Steinberg thinking he should go to another team during the Joe Vs. Steve era.

Neither of these two QBs are Joe or Steve. Or (obligatory) Jeff Garcia!

Hell, Peyton Manning chose DEN over SF. Why? Maybe being a stat whore is one reason, even though Manning would most certainly have a ring with Harbaugh, because he had a defense and run game. Maybe Manning figured who was in the FO.

I remember fans preferring Smith over Manning. How dumb are you when you prefer a mediocre QB who hasn't thrown a TD pass to a WR in a year to Manning?

Of course, the whole Harbaugh drama could be smoke and mirrors, and he winds up signing a fat extension lol. Even though people in the League think he is pretty much a goner in SF. The team play shows there is drama there, and Jed's tweets once again are hurting that chance.

I mean, how bad is working for the Yorks when you are rumored to be going across the Bay to the Raiders? Hell, it makes working for Jerrah look even better.

Lol, my buddy made a good point: how bad is Quentin Patton when you have to go out and get a Brandon Lloyd?

What a weird season. They've had a lot of decent wins - at Dallas, PHI, KC, at NO - and just some horrific losses.

Kaep has been awful the last couple of weeks. The crowd around here has historically been too tough on him but the wheels are coming off as he presses too much. he needs to get out of this tailspin quick or he will be out of the league before too long.

Defense is still top notch. I think the story of the year has been the touted offensive line - everyone has had a terrible year. You can't pay Iupati big money when this is the result you are getting. Have to let him walk. VD has been one of the worst TE in the league this year.

Roman has been and contines to be terrible. There's a good article from Matt Barrows a few weeks ago suggesting the problems on offensive are over coaching - the team has like 17 assistant offensive coaches or something ridiculous like that.

I'm an ardent Harbaugh supporter but if he's the offensive mastermind, not Roman, then I can justify moving on. This team jumped from medicore to a contender in 2011 when Harbaugh kick started the offense from incompetent to decent, and now it's reverted. If harbaugh isn't going to help the offense his value is really limited.

Baalke... Meh. He's been very hit and miss the last few years but so has every GM.

thecatch said:
What a weird season. They've had a lot of decent wins - at Dallas, PHI, KC, at NO - and just some horrific losses.

Kaep has been awful the last couple of weeks. The crowd around here has historically been too tough on him but the wheels are coming off as he presses too much. he needs to get out of this tailspin quick or he will be out of the league before too long.

Defense is still top notch. I think the story of the year has been the touted offensive line - everyone has had a terrible year. You can't pay Iupati big money when this is the result you are getting. Have to let him walk. VD has been one of the worst TE in the league this year.

Roman has been and contines to be terrible. There's a good article from Matt Barrows a few weeks ago suggesting the problems on offensive are over coaching - the team has like 17 assistant offensive coaches or something ridiculous like that.

I'm an ardent Harbaugh supporter but if he's the offensive mastermind, not Roman, then I can justify moving on. This team jumped from medicore to a contender in 2011 when Harbaugh kick started the offense from incompetent to decent, and now it's reverted. If harbaugh isn't going to help the offense his value is really limited.

Baalke... Meh. He's been very hit and miss the last few years but so has every GM.
Sure, and if he was in Tampa Bay....

What people forget is that the only way Baalke came into the picture was if he could deliver Harbaugh. That's it. If he couldn't deliver Harbaugh, he'd be toast in as much time as Donahue. Daddy tossed the idea of GM's aside after he screwed up with Donahue. Once they figured Daddy made a mess of that, they promoted McBoozin. Baalke was a McBoozin scout. Once they saw Singletary run all over him in the war room, it was then they wanted Sing out. Sing has a way better football mind than Baalke. In a lot of ways, the team Harbaugh inherited is what Sing instilled. Sing was neophyte head coach with horrid ownership and Jed as CEO Jed's first real job in the NFL. Eddie's daughter's held jobs in the organization that would qualify them CEO under Auntie's ownership, more than Jed had.

Think about this:

Mike Singletary, HOFer, who knows football, and Jed York, CEO, who doesn't.

You put Singletary in a room with snot nosed Jed, and thus, Trent Baalke is Jed's man.

Nothing has changed here with Harbaugh.

The more Jed tries to be his Uncle, the less he isn't his own female cousins.

The offense has to change. Period. As I've posted a million times, I think it's easier to try a new coordinator than QB, but all options are on the table at this point.

Good to see the Yorks bring in their old media lapdog in Walcoff. Everything that was old is York again. He flat out disappeared when they dropped KGO.

BTW, someone needs to tell Elliington to kneel in the end zone on returns. Special Teams, once a strength of the team is now a liability, and Ellington cost them yards there.

Read a bit on Kawakami's digs on Levi's Stadium. He was saying even the Pac 12 officials didn't like it. This might benefit Los Angeles if they ever build a new stadium there, along with hosting a Super Bowl. Levis' is flawed already, and is in a horrible location. Traffic, parking, etc., and this is coming from the fans who attend games there, not Kawakami. Fans from the North Bay feel shut out, like I knew they would when they proposed it in Indio North.

Hell, Indio has better places to eat than Santa Clara. Sammy Hagar and Chad Smith love this mexican one suggested to them. It's former Raider head coach Tom Flores' favorite as well.

Remember when Larry Ellison slammed the Yorks during one of his keynotes years ago? He said if he owned the team he would have a state of the art new stadium in San Francisco. Ted Robinson is going to be at the BNP Pirabas again this coming event, and the Indian Wells Tennis Garden just expanded with a shiny new court. The players on the tour love that venue, and Ellison made it a sort of 5th Major.

Meanwhile....

http://www.nba.com/warriors/sf

The more Jed tries to be his Uncle, the more he looks even more like his Father.

ETA: hell, if the Raiders lose LA out to another franchise, just build somewhere nearby, and still call themselves the Oakland Raiders.

Quick rundown of W/L since John York fired Steve Mariucci after a playoff loss in the divisional round (they won the Wild Card round):

Dennis Erickson -

2003: 7-9

2004: 2-14

Mike Nolan -

2005: 4-12

2006: 7-9

2007: 5-11

Mike Nolan/Mike Singletary -

2008: 7-9

Mike Singletary -

2009: 8-8

2010: 6-10 (Defensive Line coach Jim Tomsula coached the last game and won)

All the above never advanced to the playoffs after Mariucci did.

Jim Harbaugh:

2011: 13-3, 1-1 in the post season

2012: 11-4-1, 2-0 in the playoffs, lost the Super Bowl

2013: 12-4, 2-1 in the playoffs, lost the NFCC game

2014: 7-7 to date

Jim Mora Jr/Jim Tomsula/Any coach with the first name Jim to save money on anything with "Coach Jim" on it:

2015: ????

WHO HAS GOT IT BETTER THAN SANTA CLARA?

Ray McDonald cut after being named a suspect in a sexual assault case last night. Given the latest development I'm glad they made a move on him.

Ray McDonald cut after being named a suspect in a sexual assault case last night. Given the latest development I'm glad they made a move on him.
While it's easy to do this now that they're out of the playoffs, I have to say I like this attitude. Come get your #### McDonald! Anyone else want to #### around?

While it's easy to do this now that they're out of the playoffs, I have to say I like this attitude. Come get your #### McDonald! Anyone else want to #### around?
That was my first cynical thought as well, but then again, this allegation only came out last night. Would have been really tough for them to keep dealing with him even during a playoff push.

That was my first cynical thought as well, but then again, this allegation only came out last night. Would have been really tough for them to keep dealing with him even during a playoff push.
Your first cynical thought would have been researching his dead money cap number, how his case in under a Santa Clara DA, how same SC DA also has and had many other 49er players on the docket, and how bad your cynical mind is when it comes to the knit cap resonating your tin foil hat pinging the 49er Webzone.

YEAH, THAT TREE IN YOUR FRONT YARD. WE HAVE ALDRUNK FOR THAT

Fans like thecatch and Braktastic are the fans Jed York depends on, much like Jim Jones depended on believers like thecatch and Braktastic.

drummer, son. I've been rooting for the 49ers since 1980. I've been through all the ups and the downs like Erikson, Singletary, and Nolan. What makes you think I give a God-damn about losing Harbaugh and a bunch of thug players that are only going to make life more difficult for the team under the new player conduct policy?

Seinfeld was right, you are basically rooting for the clothes. So while I admit there are problems with this organization, I will always root for my team regardless of the ownership, coaches, and players. I'd question the kind of fan that wouldn't.

Jed York and Trent Baalke need some sort of punishment, death would work ...

How they let such an amazing coach go is beyond me. Now we can return to the post Steve Young mediocrity. I'm not talking Jeff Garcia mediocrity, more like JT OSullivan / Tim Rattay.

This is ####### sad :kicksrock:

Braktastic said:
I will always root for my team regardless of the ownership, coaches, and players. I'd question the kind of fan that wouldn't.
I've never understood this rationale. You're giving someone a free pass to do whatever d-baggery they can come up with and you'll still root for them?

I require my sports teams to earn and maintain my loyalty. That doesn't solely mean winning. But the poor stewardship of the team by the Yorks is wearing thin. This is the first year in probably 20 that I did not watch every single game.

Braktastic said:
I will always root for my team regardless of the ownership, coaches, and players. I'd question the kind of fan that wouldn't.
I've never understood this rationale. You're giving someone a free pass to do whatever d-baggery they can come up with and you'll still root for them?

I require my sports teams to earn and maintain my loyalty. That doesn't solely mean winning. But the poor stewardship of the team by the Yorks is wearing thin. This is the first year in probably 20 that I did not watch every single game.
I don't take issue with this, but you made it through 2004-10 and now you are wearing out?But yeah the York's have been a complete disaster no doubt about it.

One of the most coveted coaches in all of football is two games from walking away, yea Jed can go kill himself! JH came in and turned this program around from day one, now we're about to be in bad shape.

I'm done with Baalke too. Most overrated GM ever!

Maybe it's time to find a new franchise instead of publicly posting about the demise of your current team's (of choice) leadership? Would save a lot of heartache. And a touch of embarrassment.

Losing one of the best coaches in football is reason to complain as a fan, especially when the coach leaves due to semantics and bickering with management.

BTW, most people have been rooting for a team their entire life, so it isn't much of a choice after 30 years. Only a tool wouldn't realize this :shrug:

Is that the only thing a tool wouldn't realize? Assuming that wasn't, you know, exceedingly obvious in this case.

Braktastic said:

I don't take issue with this, but you made it through 2004-10 and now you are wearing out?But yeah the York's have been a complete disaster no doubt about it.
Fair question. 2004 to 2010 was mostly incompetence. As a fan, I found it frustrating but not betraying. Today they send a clear message they are more interested in money (Moving the stadium, how they handled Aldon Smith and Ray McDonald situations) than integrity or "the game".

btw, I'm in the camp that losing Harbaugh will send the 49ers back into suckiness ineptitude. Don't get me wrong, he's got the public personality of a bag of sticks, but he's not the problem in the organization.

I'd rather see Baalke go than Harbaugh.

What a ####### disaster. The wheels came off weeks ago, but we might be the worst team in the NFL right now. At least we're moving up in the draft, hopefully Trent can grab us another RB

fantasycurse42 said:
What a ####### disaster. The wheels came off weeks ago, but we might be the worst team in the NFL right now. At least we're moving up in the draft, hopefully Trent can grab us another RB
We're not worse than the Bucs.But yeah, we suck out loud.

I'm in NYC, so I don't get to converse with tons of 49er fans in person, but of the ones I do, this is the overwhelming consensus... It has to be the same out in the Bay?

Jim has been the savior. He turned this team around from day one and we've been a contender ever since. This year is the anomaly, and I think we can all consider the front office tension the reason behind it.

I'm just so upset because when Jim leaves, we fall back into that 2000's #### squad we had to endure for about a decade.

We're left with what will be an unproven NFL HC, an aging team, and a QB that looks lost (and without JH it can't get better).

If Jim wasn't leaving, I wouldn't be worried at all.

This just sucks :kicksrock:

I'm in NYC, so I don't get to converse with tons of 49er fans in person, but of the ones I do, this is the overwhelming consensus... It has to be the same out in the Bay?Jim has been the savior. He turned this team around from day one and we've been a contender ever since. This year is the anomaly, and I think we can all consider the front office tension the reason behind it.

I'm just so upset because when Jim leaves, we fall back into that 2000's #### squad we had to endure for about a decade.

We're left with what will be an unproven NFL HC, an aging team, and a QB that looks lost (and without JH it can't get better).

For the record, I think the Yorks suck and I hate that they are about to fire the second best HC they've ever had in the history of the franchise.

But let's look at what has gone right over the last 4 years (apart from sheer wins/losses):

Fangio came in and made a good defense great. Harbaugh/Roman brought in an innovative run and play action game that took the league two years to completely figure out, and made Alex Smith a valuable player. And Harbaugh brought in Kaep, who looked like a franchise QB in 2012 and parts of 2013 before the wheels came off this year.

But where are they now?

Harbaugh was brought in to restore a competent offense after a decade of futility. Right now, their offense is a complete wreck, comparable (after adjusting for the talent level) to the Jimmy Raye era. The league has clearly adjusted outsmarted whoever is directing the offense. The QB is a reclamation project. They need to turn over a core group of players that is either aging or burnt out after 3 years of near misses. Fangio and the defense remains a bright spot and they continue to be pretty talented on that side of the ball.

Given what Harbaugh was brought in to do (generate offense), and the current team's abysmal failure to do just that, is a coaching change the *worst* thing imaginable? If I had more faith in management I might be able to rationalize the move.

I am beginning to think the 49ers go 8-8 this year and are at the bottom of the nfc west
Care to wager on that?
Half way through...
You may be half right. STL won't have a better record than SF IMO...but your record prediction could happen.You should have jumped on that bet!

:banned:
Bad bet though - if I am right the 49ers stink. If I am wrong I lose the bet...

never take a bad bet :)
Props, man.

cursecurse has me on ignore, yet his sigs are all me. Merry Xmas.

drummer, son. I've been rooting for the 49ers since 1980. I've been through all the ups and the downs like Erikson, Singletary, and Nolan. What makes you think I give a God-damn about losing Harbaugh and a bunch of thug players that are only going to make life more difficult for the team under the new player conduct policy?

Seinfeld was right, you are basically rooting for the clothes. So while I admit there are problems with this organization, I will always root for my team regardless of the ownership, coaches, and players. I'd question the kind of fan that wouldn't.
Braktastic ya old fart, I've been a fan longer than you have. Merry Xmas.

I'm in NYC, so I don't get to converse with tons of 49er fans in person, but of the ones I do, this is the overwhelming consensus... It has to be the same out in the Bay?Jim has been the savior. He turned this team around from day one and we've been a contender ever since. This year is the anomaly, and I think we can all consider the front office tension the reason behind it.

For the record, I think the Yorks suck and I hate that they are about to fire the second best HC they've ever had in the history of the franchise.

But let's look at what has gone right over the last 4 years (apart from sheer wins/losses):

Fangio came in and made a good defense great. Harbaugh/Roman brought in an innovative run and play action game that took the league two years to completely figure out, and made Alex Smith a valuable player. And Harbaugh brought in Kaep, who looked like a franchise QB in 2012 and parts of 2013 before the wheels came off this year.

But where are they now?

Harbaugh was brought in to restore a competent offense after a decade of futility. Right now, their offense is a complete wreck, comparable (after adjusting for the talent level) to the Jimmy Raye era. The league has clearly adjusted outsmarted whoever is directing the offense. The QB is a reclamation project. They need to turn over a core group of players that is either aging or burnt out after 3 years of near misses. Fangio and the defense remains a bright spot and they continue to be pretty talented on that side of the ball.

Given what Harbaugh was brought in to do (generate offense), and the current team's abysmal failure to do just that, is a coaching change the *worst* thing imaginable? If I had more faith in management I might be able to rationalize the move.
Sheesh, this is a sort of lame bookend to what I've been posting here all season. Merry Xmas.

Fair question. 2004 to 2010 was mostly incompetence. As a fan, I found it frustrating but not betraying. Today they send a clear message they are more interested in money (Moving the stadium, how they handled Aldon Smith and Ray McDonald situations) than integrity or "the game".
I could say I told y'all so here. I could.

ETA: Oh, Merry Xmas.

Are all my Xmas wishes out of the way? Oh wait! efactor hasn't chimed in about Jeddie. Here is a glass of Jeddie Spiced Kool Aid e. Merry Xmas!

Users who are viewing this thread