What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1975 #1. Bohemian Rhapsody (1 Viewer)

3. Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here” (from Wish You Were Here

https://youtu.be/hjpF8ukSrvk

No surprise here, it’s obviously one of the best songs of the year. Much like “Kashmir” the interesting question is whether or not this is the band’s best effort. I think in this case it very well might be. 
It's a titan in their vast material, but I wouldn't call it their best. For me, "Echoes" holds that title, followed by "Dogs" and then a ton of stuff tied for third.

Last edited by a moderator:
3. Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here” (from Wish You Were Here

https://youtu.be/hjpF8ukSrvk

No surprise here, it’s obviously one of the best songs of the year. Much like “Kashmir” the interesting question is whether or not this is the band’s best effort. I think in this case it very well might be. 
One of those songs that never gets old to me.  It’s a simple song that hits you every time.  

5 great ones in a row, Timmay on a roll

Y'all figure out what the top two will be?

I'll take a PM (or at least put it in a spoiler tag)

5 great ones in a row, Timmay on a roll

Y'all figure out what the top two will be?

I'll take a PM (or at least put it in a spoiler tag)
One is pretty obvious. As for the other, as we hit the top 6, I earlier thought it might be relating to "Missouri", but don't think that's going to be it.

2. Fleetwood Mac “Landslide” (from Fleetwood Mac

https://youtu.be/WM7-PYtXtJM

Sometimes all you need is a singer and a guitar. 

The first half of the 70s produced, IMO, the greatest musical ballads of all time. I think of, in no particular order, among others, James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain”, Elton John’s “Your Song”, Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”, Neil Young’s “Old Man”, and Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide”. These songs are musical perfection, with unmatched melodies and timeless lyrics- and it’s the timeless lyrics which ensures that, 100 years from now people will still be playing them when the vast majority of the music from that era is long forgotten. 

2. Fleetwood Mac “Landslide” (from Fleetwood Mac

https://youtu.be/WM7-PYtXtJM

Sometimes all you need is a singer and a guitar. 

The first half of the 70s produced, IMO, the greatest musical ballads of all time. I think of, in no particular order, among others, James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain”, Elton John’s “Your Song”, Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water”, Neil Young’s “Old Man”, and Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide”. These songs are musical perfection, with unmatched melodies and timeless lyrics- and it’s the timeless lyrics which ensures that, 100 years from now people will still be playing them when the vast majority of the music from that era is long forgotten. 
Not sure I'd have this at #2, but it's great - can't argue too much.

I was way off, although the song I was thinking of was also covered by The Smashing Pumpkins. 

Looking forward to Pip's next 100 - there are some really good tunes that were not selected.
Thanks! I was not sure if Landslide was going to be here and I would have had it very high if it wasn't.

Since much of this list is AOR/classic rock, there is one well-known album from that milieu that I figured would show up here but didn't. It will be very well represented on my list. I guess Tim doesn't care for the artist. 

Landslide is OK. It’s maybe thirty or fifty slots too high but whatever - just glad he didn’t pick something truly awful.

I really enjoyed this one. In 1975 I was an all star amateur baseball player who thought he was going to be drafted, I was French kissing girls with small bewbs, and the biggest angst was whether to get a YZ175 or a YZ250.

1. Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody” (from A Night at the Opera

https://youtu.be/vsl3gBVO2k4

The link is to a live version. As Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest live performers ever, it’s worth watching if you’ve never seen it. 
I guess at this point there’s not much suspense about this selection. Much like “Born to Run” there were years when I was really sick of this song, I think around the time Wayne’s World came out. I had heard it so much that I never wanted to hear it again. But it truly is extraordinary. 

Anyhow this was the most fun yet. I’m going to do a few more of these, I think. The 70s has several more years. But for now I need a break so take it away @Bracie Smathers

Had to be Bohemian. I also am tired of hearing it due to massive overplay, but can’t deny its greatness.  Not just the best of 1975, but among the best of all time.

Well done overall on the countdown, Tim.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a song I will never get tired of hearing.  I have heard it more times that I can count, and I still enjoy the hell out of it every single time.  Truly one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

Wish You Were Here is also an obvious classic, but not one I listen to much anymore.  Still a killer song, featuring some of Roger's best lyrics ever for sure, and I still remember seeing the band in '94 and getting goosebumps as 50,000+ fans at Arrowhead Stadium sang along word for word.  Amazing.

Big fan of Landslide as well.  Not sure I would rank it ahead of Rhiannon, but it's certainly a good one.  Stevie's voice and Lindsey's guitar...what more do you need indeed??

1. Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody” (from A Night at the Opera

https://youtu.be/vsl3gBVO2k4

The link is to a live version. As Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest live performers ever, it’s worth watching if you’ve never seen it. 
I guess at this point there’s not much suspense about this selection. Much like “Born to Run” there were years when I was really sick of this song, I think around the time Wayne’s World came out. I had heard it so much that I never wanted to hear it again. But it truly is extraordinary. 

Anyhow this was the most fun yet. I’m going to do a few more of these, I think. The 70s has several more years. But for now I need a break so take it away @Bracie Smathers
Great stuff, Tim. If anything this song’s stature grew because of its use in Wayne’s World; while it led to another round of being overplayed, we’re far enough past that to the point it’s not bothersome. 

Bracie graciously allowed me to take the next 100 for this year. About halfway through your countdown, I started putting together stuff I like but didn’t think would make the cut for you. 

I’ll be ready to start that thread in a few days. I’ve listed everything I’m going to consider but I still need to make cuts and finalize an order.

Yes, there will be more Neil Young than what was here — he released two of his best albums this year — but it won’t be overwhelming.

Bohemian Rhapsody definitely was overplayed for a while but it’s just so good.  I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite Queen song (that would probably be Killer Queen, Show Must Go On or Don’t Stop Me Now) but it’s fantastic and an all-timer.  Head banging in a car like Wayne and Garth to this song is just unadulterated fun.

I'd heard this song so many times but never knew its title until a little while back when Apple Jack told me he guaranteed I had heard the song "Rhiannon." Knowing what they're saying just makes this awful.

Chopped and screwed El-P review of this track:

Another deejay yells lick the balls.

Stevie looks...

Hollywood off the bus ####ed
I never knew the name until I got Sirius XM in the car and saw the name on the screen. And I grew up in the ‘70s. :bag:

Well done Tim.  Thoroughly enjoyed this.  While I disagreed with most of 71, I think you mostly nailed it here.  Even the songs I don't care for belong based on their significance.

I'd heard this song so many times but never knew its title until a little while back when Apple Jack told me he guaranteed I had heard the song "Rhiannon." Knowing what they're saying just makes this awful.

Chopped and screwed El-P review of this track:

Another deejay yells lick the balls.

Stevie looks...

Hollywood off the bus ####ed
If I’m remembering correctly Rhiannon was the name of a legendary Welsh witch.

Had to be Bohemian. I also am tired of hearing it due to massive overplay, but can’t deny its greatness.  Not just the best of 1975, but among the best of all time.

Bohemian Rhapsody is a song I will never get tired of hearing.  I have heard it more times that I can count, and I still enjoy the hell out of it every single time.  Truly one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

Great stuff, Tim. If anything this song’s stature grew because of its use in Wayne’s World; while it led to another round of being overplayed, we’re far enough past that to the point it’s not bothersome. 

Bracie graciously allowed me to take the next 100 for this year. About halfway through your countdown, I started putting together stuff I like but didn’t think would make the cut for you. 

Bohemian Rhapsody definitely was overplayed for a while but it’s just so good.  I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite Queen song (that would probably be Killer Queen, Show Must Go On or Don’t Stop Me Now) but it’s fantastic and an all-timer.  Head banging in a car like Wayne and Garth to this song is just unadulterated fun.
Think back to the first time you ever heard Bohemian Rhapsody.

That slow build-up.  May mixing in the guitar.  The high falsetto came in which threw me off when I first heard it.  Then that spectacular finish.  It was one of those songs that had an impact and left you wondering what just hit you.

THIS reaction video is a great way to re-live the first time you heard Bohemian Rhapsody.

👉 🎥 FIRST TIME REACTING TO QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY  👈 

Think back to the first time you ever heard Bohemian Rhapsody.

That slow build-up.  May mixing in the guitar.  The high falsetto came in which threw me off when I first heard it.  Then that spectacular finish.  It was one of those songs that had an impact and left you wondering what just hit you.

THIS reaction video is a great way to re-live the first time you heard Bohemian Rhapsody.

👉 🎥 FIRST TIME REACTING TO QUEEN BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY  👈 
Agree 100%. I think the first time I heard it was at age 12 in 1980 when I got on a huge Queen kick after hearing The Game upon its release.  Was making my way through A Night At The Opera and was already blown away by "Death On Two Legs" and "The Prophet's Song", among others. Then as it got the back of side 2, this majestic song called "Bohemian Rhapsody" came on and it was game over. I went out and bought every Queen album I could find, although of course, they could never top that one tune. Nor could just about anyone then or since.

I made my living in my car in 1975 and, because i had profit participation in a single of that year (Dance With Me), i spent a LOT of time listening to hit radio. '75 may indeed have been the "end of rock" in many ways, but my car radio was just blazing with memorable tunes. Shining Star, Lady Marmalade, Black Water, the inexplicable Dream Weaver ("i HATE this kinda #### - why do i loooove this song") even the encroaching disco insanity of the Hustle & KC & Gloria Gaynor. But there were three songs that you just waited for - Fame, I'm Not in Love and Bohemian Rhapsody - cuz they gave such bright madness to the moment even if you were fighting traffic on your way to a sales meeting in Worcester. I will never have a more intimate relationship with any media like i did with my car or transistor radio and, for all that was turning rancid about music at that time, 1975 was a nova season on the airwaves.

72. Janis Ian “At Seventeen” (from Between the Lines

https://youtu.be/ESS0eKJpEZQ

I have kind of a love/hate relationship with this song. I love the melody, production and samba beat. It’s a very nice folk song. I hate the lyrics. She’s so whiny- oh so the popular kids won’t invite her to parties? Suck it up Janis. Or stay at home, I don’t care. Being 17 sucks. Get over it. 
I stumbled upon some Northern European YouTube channel where some Norwegians (?) track down different musicians/singers and do interviews on one channel and do acoustic versions of their hits on this one.  

Different but kinda cool.😎

Janis Ian - At Seventeen | Unplugged

Singer-songwriter Janis Ian sings 'At Seventeen'. A recording from 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread