What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #17. Free Man In Paris (1 Viewer)

66. Minnie Riperton “Lovin’ You” (from Perfect Angel)

Such a beautiful voice and so sad. She died at the age of 31 of breast cancer. This is a classic early 70s ballad.
Her vocal range was off the charts. She was also Maya Rudolph’s mom (hence the “Maya”s at the end of the song).

Now the song is more known for Burger King.
Or the Steelers fight song in the Visa ad.

67. Phoebe Snow “Poetry Man” (from Phoebe Snow)

Singer-songwriter who didn’t have much success beyond this hit from her debut album, which sounds a little like Joni Mitchell. It’s a pleasant tune.

I had a Mandela Effect memory that Jaco Pastorius -- a frequent collaborator with Mitchell -- had in fact played bass on Phoebe Snow.

I was way off -- it was an assortment of noted session men, chiefly jazz players. However, I did learn that one of Snow's bassists on her debut is now a member of Bon Jovi.

Singer-songwriter who didn’t have much success beyond this hit from her debut album, which sounds a little like Joni Mitchell. It’s a pleasant tune.

I had a Mandela Effect memory that Jaco Pastorius -- a frequent collaborator with Mitchell -- had in fact played bass on Phoebe Snow.

I was way off -- it was an assortment of noted session men, chiefly jazz players. However, I did learn that one of Snow's bassists on her debut is now a member of Bon Jovi.
As much as I enjoy these countdowns, I equally enjoy the tangents where I learn tidbits like these. I enjoy learning a bit of music history and how artist interweaved and where they came from. I have most of Kasey Kasem's countdowns memorized at this point. He was full of information, lol.

Based on that Wiki page, turns out said bass player goes way back with Bon Jovi - played on the original version of “Runaway” and was the uncredited bass player on the recorded album version of “Livin’ on a Prayer”.

Last edited:
65. Eric Clapton “I Shot The Sheriff” (from 461 Ocean Blvd)

I had Marley’s original version on the 1973 list and frankly it’s better. But I also like Clapton’s version with its soft rock tones added in. Just not quite as much.

Outside of this song I’ve always considered this album by Clapton to be rather mediocre; it doesn’t live up to the hype. Thanks to Lana Del Rey, there is now a better album with “Ocean Blvd.” in the title.

I had Marley’s original version on the 1973 list and frankly it’s better. But I also like Clapton’s version with its soft rock tones added in. Just not quite as much.

Outside of this song I’ve always considered this album by Clapton to be rather mediocre; it doesn’t live up to the hype. Thanks to Lana Del Rey, there is now a better album with “Ocean Blvd.” in the title.
Hell yeah to the bolded. Clapton has never made a single album as great as Lana's best three or four. Yeah, I said it.

69. Barry White “You’re My First, My Last, My Everything” (from Can’t Get Enough)

In 1974 Barry White was easily the sexiest man on the planet. Hell, I’m not a woman, not gay, and I still want to throw myself at him. Listen to that voice, are you kidding me? Smoothest dude ever.
This song sounds a little "disco". There are some true disco songs that should make the list.

This has to be my least favorite Clapton song. The chorus was awful and it hasn't grown better with age. It's the one anomaly so far in a strong list.

Last edited:

The Bee Gees also lived at 461 Ocean Blvd. in Miami when they recorded Main Course. Barry Gibb hoped some of the magic Clapton experienced while living in the house would rub off on them.

The Bee Gees also lived at 461 Ocean Blvd. in Miami when they recorded Main Course. Barry Gibb hoped some of the magic Clapton experienced while living in the house would rub off on them.
Yes - that was an interesting tidbit from their recent documentary.

But I also like Clapton’s version with its soft rock tones added in. Just not quite as much.

Oof, bruh (redux). This really suXor. This album is an egregious stain on music. Clapton blowwws, man, and I couldn’t care less about his sociopolitical idiocy.
Not surprised, given your musical tastes, that you’re not much impressed with the list so far. Thats cool, you might like some picks coming up a little better, But overall if you’re not the biggest fan of soft rock, easy listening, and early disco 1974 might not be the best year for you.

Not surprised, given your musical tastes, that you’re not much impressed with the list so far. Thats cool, you might like some picks coming up a little better, But overall if you’re not the biggest fan of soft rock, easy listening, and early disco 1974 might not be the best year for you.

No sweat, timmer. I like pulling your chain during these regardless.

But I also like Clapton’s version with its soft rock tones added in. Just not quite as much.

Oof, bruh (redux). This really suXor. This album is an egregious stain on music. Clapton blowwws, man, and I couldn’t care less about his sociopolitical idiocy.
This song was always nails on chalkboard for me. Not really a fan of his solo stuff, some of the lessor hits are pretty good.

Another one we had on 8-track back in the day. I didn't really like it at the time, but it's grown on me over the years. Nice song and she had a really good voice.
The 70s on 7 channel on SiriusXM LOVES to play this one.

The first song and the last song, and one of the ballads in the middle, are what put this album above the usual post-1970 Clapton fare. The rest (including this track) is pleasant at best.

64. Sweet “Fox On The Run” (from Desolation Boulevard)

Glam band Sweet had a lot of memorable hits in the mid-70s. This one rocks and its title is evocative of the era. Always brings roller skating rinks to my mind.

Glam band Sweet had a lot of memorable hits in the mid-70s. This one rocks and its title is evocative of the era. Always brings roller skating rinks to my mind.
I would have had this WAY higher.

Sweet was really good. None of their hits sound like they came from the same band to me.

This one is definitely a banger.

You can sometimes hear it in movies/TV shows from time to time, like in the background of one of the quintessential Wooderson scenes.

Sweet was really good. None of their hits sound like they came from the same band to me.
100% agree. Little Willie to the hits off this record to Love Is Like Oxygen sound like different bands to me too.
I would have this one ranked much higher as well.

Me too, it’s a top 10 rock song for the year IMO.

100% agree. Little Willie to the hits off this record to Love Is Like Oxygen sound like different bands to me too.
I would have this one ranked much higher as well.

Yeah, Sweet has some great songs and definitely unique and not a consistent sound. But I love a bunch of songs by them.

Ballroom Blitz, Little Willie, Action
Yeah count me in on the Sweet appreciation society
This was the first song that they wrote themselves which was a big hit.
Prior to that almost all of their hits were Chinn/Chapman songs.
The band wanted a harder rock edge rather than the glam/bubblegum with which they had previously been associated with.

The sound on this is still fresh unlike a lot of 80s and 90s songs.

Along with Status Quo they appear to be one of the many inspirations for Spinal Tap, with lead singer Brian Connolly doing an admirable David St Hubbins impression

63. Kiki Dee Band “I’ve Got the Music In Me” (released as a single)

A lost classic. This is a great rocker, and Kiki (best known for her later duets) has a tremendous bluesy voice and she is really into it (watch the video).
Yeah she can really belt it out, too bad she didn't get more quality material to work on outside this and a small handful of other tunes. Imagine if they would have handed her some of the stuff Pat Benatar got.

I had this in my 1975 countdown because that’s when it appeared on an album in the US.

100. “This Town AIn’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us”- Sparks
99. “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero”- Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
98. “Already Gone” Eagles
97. “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” John Lennon
96. “Oh Very Young” Cat Stevens
95. “You Angel You” Bob Dylan
94. “Roll On Down The Highway” Bachman Turner Overdrive
93. “Dance With Me” Orleans
92. “Court and Spark” Joni Mitchell
91. “I Can Help” Billy Swan
90. “Can’t Gst It Out Of My Head” Electric Light Orchestra
89. “The Entertainer” Marvin Hamlisch
88. “Then Came You” Dionne Warwick & The Spinners
87. “My Eyes Adored You” Frankie Valli
86. “Dark Horse” George Harrison
85. “Brighton Rock” Queen
84. “Longfellow Serenade” Neil Diamond
83. “Laughter In the Rain” Neil Sedaka
82. “Ol’ 55” Eagles
81. “Dreamer” Supertramp
80. “Long Live Rock” The Who
79. “Magic” Pilot
78. “#9 Dream” John Lennon
77. “Come Monday” Jimmy Buffett
76. “Must Of Got Lost” J. Geils Band
75. “Lonely People” America
74. “The Night Chicago Died” Paper Lace
73. “Some Kind of Wonderful” Grand Funk Railroad
72. “Forever Young” Bob Dylan
71. “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)” The Rolling Stones
70. “She Knows” Thin Lizzy
69. “You’re My First, My Last, My Everything” Barry White
68. “Solace” Marvin Hamlisch
67. “Poetry Man” Phoebe Snow
66. “Lovin’ You” Minnie Riperton
65. “I Shot the Sheriff” Eric Clapton
64. “Fox On The Run” Sweet
63. “I’ve Got the Music In Me” Kiki Dee Band
62. “When Will I Be Loved” Linda Ronstadt

tim - can't recall, how are you defining the year again?

is it when it was released or when it was predominant on that year's hit charts?

are you counting deeper cuts that weren't chart toppers?

tks

100. “This Town AIn’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us”- Sparks
99. “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero”- Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
98. “Already Gone” Eagles
97. “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” John Lennon
96. “Oh Very Young” Cat Stevens
95. “You Angel You” Bob Dylan
94. “Roll On Down The Highway” Bachman Turner Overdrive
93. “Dance With Me” Orleans
92. “Court and Spark” Joni Mitchell
91. “I Can Help” Billy Swan
90. “Can’t Gst It Out Of My Head” Electric Light Orchestra
89. “The Entertainer” Marvin Hamlisch
88. “Then Came You” Dionne Warwick & The Spinners
87. “My Eyes Adored You” Frankie Valli
86. “Dark Horse” George Harrison
85. “Brighton Rock” Queen
84. “Longfellow Serenade” Neil Diamond
83. “Laughter In the Rain” Neil Sedaka
82. “Ol’ 55” Eagles
81. “Dreamer” Supertramp
80. “Long Live Rock” The Who
79. “Magic” Pilot
78. “#9 Dream” John Lennon
77. “Come Monday” Jimmy Buffett
76. “Must Of Got Lost” J. Geils Band
75. “Lonely People” America
74. “The Night Chicago Died” Paper Lace
73. “Some Kind of Wonderful” Grand Funk Railroad
72. “Forever Young” Bob Dylan
71. “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)” The Rolling Stones
70. “She Knows” Thin Lizzy
69. “You’re My First, My Last, My Everything” Barry White
68. “Solace” Marvin Hamlisch
67. “Poetry Man” Phoebe Snow
66. “Lovin’ You” Minnie Riperton
65. “I Shot the Sheriff” Eric Clapton
64. “Fox On The Run” Sweet
63. “I’ve Got the Music In Me” Kiki Dee Band
62. “When Will I Be Loved” Linda Ronstadt

tim - can't recall, how are you defining the year again?

is it when it was released or when it was predominant on that year's hit charts?

are you counting deeper cuts that weren't chart toppers?

tks
1. The song had to be originally released in 1974.

2. There are a few deep cuts if they’re notable for some reason to me (both “Brighton Rock” and “Solace” could be regarded as deep cuts for example.) It’s unusual but it happens from time to time. My number one song for 1973 (“Karnevil #9 First Impression, Part 2”) was actually a deep cut that later became a radio hit.

61. Olivia Newton-John “I Honestly Love You” (from Long Live Love)

This catchy soft rock classic was penned by songwriting great Jeff Barry. It pretty much introduced Australian Olivia to an American audience. In coming years her impact would be huge. Sweet tune.
And just the next year in one of the most iconic scenes of Jaws, courtesy of Wikipedia:

A snippet of Lynn Anderson's recording of the song plays over Chief Brody's radio in the second shark attack in Steven Spielberg's 1975 film Jaws, moments before Alex Kitner and Pippet the dog disappear beneath the waves.

79. Pilot “Magic” (from From the Album of the Same Name)

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.
Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely over killed it a bit, but good to see it make a comeback.
Looks like the New York Times has picked up on the "Magic"/Ozempic connection. Apologies if it's behind a firewall:

Users who are viewing this thread