What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #1. Lady Marmalade (5 Viewers)

78. John Lennon “#9 Dream” (from Walls and Bridges)

This is the moodier John I remember. No happy “Whatever Get You Through the Night” here. Actually this tune sounds a lot like a George Harrison song. And why is Lennon so obsessed with the number 9 anyhow?
Haven’t heard this in a long time, nice find. It really does have a Harrison vibe to it.

77. Jimmy Buffett “Come Monday” (from Living And Dying in 3/4 Time)

One of Jimmy’s most famous tunes and I believe his first hit. It’s got a good sound and the chorus is fun to sing along to:

I spent 4 lonely days in a brown LA haze

But the bridge seems forced and doesn’t really work.

One of Jimmy’s most famous tunes and I believe his first hit. It’s got a good sound and the chorus is fun to sing along to:

Huh. I don’t have a great ear for lyrics, and never listened too closely to begin with, but I’ve always thought it was. “Brown Ale-y haze”.

Huh. I don’t have a great ear for lyrics, and never listened too closely to begin with, but I’ve always thought it was. “Brown Ale-y haze”.
There wasn't much variety in American beer offerings in the '70s. You couldn't find brown ale regularly until the '80s.

There wasn't much variety in American beer offerings in the '70s. You couldn't find brown ale regularly until the '80s.
My job as oldest grandkid in the 70’s was to fetch beers from the basement fridge for grandpa on weekend cookouts until the next oldest boy could correctly identify and carry the requested brand upstairs.

Grandpa stocked both kinds of beer: Pabst AND Red, White, and Blue.

PS. A Brown Ale-y haze sounds way more fun than the LA variety.

Take it from someone who lived there at the time, it literally was a brown haze.

Air pollution was so bad in the late 60s to early 70s at where I lived in L.A. (Glendale/Pasadena area) that late in the afternoon your eyes would sting and you would have trouble breathing if you went outdoors.

At the link is the cover photo of Tim Buckley's 1972 LP, Greetings From L.A. LP showing the brown haze.

Last edited:
76. J. Geils Band “Must Of Got Lost” (from Nightmares…And Other Tales From the Vinyl Jungle)

This band’s biggest radio hit from the 1970s, and pretty much the only thing I can remember from them prior to the “Centerfold” era. And it’s great. I really need to go back and explore these guys’ early records because I’ve always loved everything by Peter Wolf that I’ve been exposed to. This one rocks.

76. J. Geils Band “Must Of Got Lost” (from Nightmares…And Other Tales From the Vinyl Jungle)

This band’s biggest radio hit from the 1970s, and pretty much the only thing I can remember from them prior to the “Centerfold” era. And it’s great. I really need to go back and explore these guys’ early records because I’ve always loved everything by Peter Wolf that I’ve been exposed to. This one rocks.
J Geils was pretty big in the Detroit area.

"Give It To Me" was also a huge radio hit.

J Geils was pretty big in the Detroit area.

You know what got me to check out the J Geils Band's 1970s catalog? The band's appearance in Grown Ups 2 (yes, the Adam Sandler flick) playing "Ain't Nothin' But House Party" and other 70s singles.

(Don't worry -- it's a 1973 release, with the version linked being from their 1976 live album. No spotlighting!)

I've been corrected on this in the past so I feel justified in saying it. The title and lyric should have been "Must Have Got Lost" or "Must Have Gotten Lost"

74. Paper Lace “The Night Chicago Died” (from And Other Bits of Material)

They didn’t get their version of “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” played in the USA but soon had a #1 hit anyhow with this quintessential 70s tune. I was just in Chicago and it’s still around 50 years later! (Actually the night they’re referring to was the Capone shootout in the 20s). So cheesy but so fun. I want to say that this is the cheesiest song on this list but there’s more to come.

They didn’t get their version of “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” played in the USA but soon had a #1 hit anyhow with this quintessential 70s tune. I was just in Chicago and it’s still around 50 years later! (Actually the night they’re referring to was the Capone shootout in the 20s). So cheesy but so fun. I want to say that this is the cheesiest song on this list but there’s more to come.

Yeah, well, if Chicago died it was probably from listening to this song.

Absolute banger!!! Grew up listening to this LP on my parents' davenport-sized record player.

1974 was the beginning of my stoner stage; hadn't tried psychedelics yet, but it was 8+ years before I was ever sober.

These songs were on the albums we were listening to then.

100. “This Town AIn’t Big Enough For The Both Of Us”- Sparks
97. “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” John Lennon
94. “Roll On Down The Highway” Bachman Turner Overdrive
92. “Court and Spark” Joni Mitchell
81. “Dreamer” Supertramp
80. “Long Live Rock” The Who
76. “Must Of Got Lost” J. Geils Band

We weren't very sophisticated in the midwest, but boy did I think that was a great era at the time.

I was 11.

The winter of '73-74 my folks were going through a divorce, mom was in night school, and my 3 older siblings (17, 16 & 14) were hosting 8-20 people several nights a week for pot parties.

Eventually one of their friends wondered back through the house to my room with a bong whilst I was doing homework. I said no at least once or twice, but once I tried it, wasn't long before my life revolved around it.

By the end of the school year I had turned my 3 best friends on to it, one at a time.

Learned how to roll by 7th grade, was baking pot brownies by the end of junior high. Always had money from working for dad's manufacturing plant.

Good times.

Should've posted the famous live version.

Should've posted the famous live version.
I actually thought about it. It’s great. But he talks a little too long beforehand.

sacrilege timmay

They should be in the RnR HoF if for no other reason than that intro

[Spoken Intro]

Hold on, this song has a little introduction to it
It's ain't supposed to be sad though you might feel it that way
It's a song about desperation
Every now and then we do get desperate

This is a song about L-O-V-E
And if you abuse it you're gonna lose it
And if you lose it you're gonna abuse and
If you abuse it you ain't gonna be able to choose it
Cuz you ain't gonna have it further on down the line
Things ain't gonna be so fine
You're gonna to be sitting there on your little machine
Tryin' to look and keep it clean
You're going to be home playing bingo all night all alone
That's why your sittin' there by the telephone
And you know that she ain't goin' to call you!

So you put on the TV and you're watchin' Johnny Carson
Segwayin' right into the Tomorrow show
But that don't got the go, so you turn it off ya turn on the radio
The radio don't seem to get the click so you say
"Hey Man, I can't lickety split"
You start to open up a little book
And there's somethin there you got to overlook
And you say "BABY, you know there's somethin on my mind!
You say "Baby there's somethin' on my mind -
I know that you're home and I know you ain't all alone!"

So you start walking over to her house
And you get over to her house
And you walk over to her door
You start poundin' on her door, you say
"Open up the door, *****!
This is wooba gooba with the green teeth, let me in!"

Well, she opens up the door
And then you just kinda walk up to her and say
"Baby", you look up way up at her green mascara
And you say "Oh my darling
You know her and me was at the party as friends
Do not believe what they say
That's only gossip that they tellin' ya
A wise cracker line!"
You say "Darlin'!"

Take your big curls and just squeeze them down Ratumba
What's the name of the chick with the long hair?
(Rapunzel!) Ya say "Hey Rapunzel!" Heh heh heh
Hey Reputah! Reputa the Beautah!
Hey Reputa the Beautah, flip me down your hair
And let me climb up to the ladder of your love!
Because this is what woofa goofa's sayin to ya
"Love comes once and when it comes
You've got to grab it fast cuz sometimes the love
You grab ain't gonna last and
I believe I musta
You know I think I musta
You know baby I think I musta
You know I think I musta
I musta got lost!"

73. Grand Funk Railroad “Some Kind of Wonderful” (from All the Girls In the World)

Can I get a witness? This tune rocks. It’s a cover of a 60s soul classic but Grand Funk does it even better.
You can stop the countdown now, tim. Thanks for your hard work.

73. Grand Funk Railroad “Some Kind of Wonderful” (from All the Girls In the World)

Can I get a witness? This tune rocks. It’s a cover of a 60s soul classic but Grand Funk does it even better.
Do you have special feelings about GFR? I was unaware.

Do you have special feelings about GFR? I was unaware.
Have you noticed my posts about Billy Joel? It's the opposite of that :lol:

72. Bob Dylan “Forever Young” (from Planet Waves)

There’s actually two versions of this tune on the album. This is the slower version which is more famous. The faster version was used as the intro for the show Parenthood. I also kind of like the Rod Stewart cover, though it’s a bit of a guilty pleasure.

There’s actually two versions of this tune on the album. This is the slower version which is more famous. The faster version was used as the intro for the show Parenthood. I also kind of like the Rod Stewart cover, though it’s a bit of a guilty pleasure.

This seems way low. One of my favorite Dylan songs. Though I detest the Rod Stewart version.

Last edited:

This seems way low. One of my favorite Dylan songs. Though I detest the Rod Steward version.

Also the Black Crowes always did a nice job with this one. And of course the version from The Last Waltz is incredible.

This seems way low. One of my favorite Dylan songs. Though I detest the Rod Steward version.

Also the Black Crowes always did a nice job with this one. And of course the version from The Last Waltz is incredible.
And don’t forget Alphaville.

71. The Rolling Stones “It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)” (from Its Only Rock ‘N’ Roll)

Excellent video. I think I like the video much more than the song. The song is obviously famous and I’m not saying it’s bad at all but compared to other Stones’ hits I find it kind of meh. (But I like it.)

While there are other songs by the band I like a lot more, it is good to see America getting represented here. They are one of those bands that really only have 10-12 songs I listen to and need, but most of them are pretty damn great. Little River Band is similar for me in that regard.

70. Thin Lizzy “She Knows” (from Nightlife)

One of their greatest songs IMO. Love the guitars here. Such an underrated band.
Love it - in one of the artist threads we did not too long ago, this ranked #24 (out of the top 31) in my Thin Lizzy song countdown.

69. Barry White “You’re My First, My Last, My Everything” (from Can’t Get Enough)

In 1974 Barry White was easily the sexiest man on the planet. Hell, I’m not a woman, not gay, and I still want to throw myself at him. Listen to that voice, are you kidding me? Smoothest dude ever.

Billy Dont be a Hero is as cheesy as ****. I wouldnt have said this song was in the same ballpark for cheesiness. I dont consider it cheesy at all. Neil Sedakas song that made your list, its a Kraft factory
Hell, I’m not a woman, not gay, and I still want to throw myself at him.
Is there something you need to talk about here? How old were you in 1974 to be having these thoughts?
Unwanted mental image, i think once Mister Whites clothes came off, your thoughts would evaporate

Billy Dont be a Hero is as cheesy as ****. I wouldnt have said this song was in the same ballpark for cheesiness. I dont consider it cheesy at all. Neil Sedakas song that made your list, its a Kraft factory
Hell, I’m not a woman, not gay, and I still want to throw myself at him.
Is there something you need to talk about here? How old were you in 1974 to be having these thoughts?
Unwanted mental image, i think once Mister Whites clothes came off, your thoughts would evaporate
Hey man don’t you mess with the Walrus of Love! I’d keep my eyes shut the whole time anyhow. All I need is the Voice.

68. Marvin Hamlisch “Solace” (from The Sting- The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

As fun as “The Entertainer” is, along with a few other ragtime gems like “Pineapple Rag”, “Solace” remains Scott Joplin’s masterpiece, one of the most beautiful musical compositions by an American artist ever IMO. Marvin Hamlisch pulled it out of obscurity.

I only learned years later that the actual title is “Solace: A Mexican Serenade”, and that the music played here only represents the second half of the entire composition. It did cause an interest in Joplin among classical performers, and I discovered a gorgeous version of the entire piece played by Itzak Perlman on violin, accompanied by Andre Previn on piano:

I remember years later when I found out Paper Lace was a band from Nottingham, England. Singing about Chicago? Mind..blown.

Unfortunately for me, Scott Joplin's soundtrack was so overplayed at that time, I still have a hard time listening to it.
I enjoyed it before they played it to death.

I remember years later when I found out Paper Lace was a band from Nottingham, England. Singing about Chicago? Mind..blown.
The Bay City Rollers are from Scotland and took their name by throwing a dart at a U.S. map, landing on Bay City, Michigan.

The '70s, man

67. Phoebe Snow “Poetry Man” (from Phoebe Snow)

Singer-songwriter who didn’t have much success beyond this hit from her debut album, which sounds a little like Joni Mitchell. It’s a pleasant tune.

67. Phoebe Snow “Poetry Man” (from Phoebe Snow)

Singer-songwriter who didn’t have much success beyond this hit from her debut album, which sounds a little like Joni Mitchell. It’s a pleasant tune.
Another one we had on 8-track back in the day. I didn't really like it at the time, but it's grown on me over the years. Nice song and she had a really good voice.

66. Minnie Riperton “Lovin’ You” (from Perfect Angel)

Such a beautiful voice and so sad. She died at the age of 31 of breast cancer. This is a classic early 70s ballad.
Her vocal range was off the charts. She was also Maya Rudolph’s mom (hence the “Maya”s at the end of the song).

Now the song is more known for Burger King.

Users who are viewing this thread