What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “I want to retire soon” thread (1 Viewer)

I'm enjoying the posts in here about asset allocation. My wife and I followed a boring strategy for wealth accumulation: we just invested the same amount every month into an S&P 500 index fund and spent the next 30 years not worrying about it. That worked out pretty much exactly the way the math said it was supposed to, so no complaints there. When were in our 40s, we didn't worry about being 100% in equities -- that's fine IMO. But now that we're both in our 50s and looking to retire before age 60, we should really start moving some funds into bonds or similar securities.

Nothing about this is especially mysterious, but it involves a lot a money so I feel like I should really be doing some homework here. Is there a particular book or website people recommend that might point me to things I need to be thinking about that I might be overlooking? What I mean is, I don't need anybody to explain to me the difference between a 30-year Treasury bond and a municipal bond. But I am kind of interested in how a reasonable person might structure two Roths plus a taxable account as they get on the retirement glide path. I've been focusing entirely on asset accumulation, and I've never given all that much thought to what happens when I need to draw on those assets for income, or when I need to spend them down.
I meet with a financial advisor 4 times a year and have read a dozen or so books. For asset allocation I like; All About Asset Allocation by Richard Ferri. For drawdown and spend during retirement I haven't found the perfect if this, then do that, flowchart that guides you through all the scenarios. Just a bunch of different strategies from all over the place. I mean it's so situational we can't even come to a consensus whether it's better to draw SS as soon as you can or wait. But if I had to sum up cash flow during retirement in two words it would be "tax avoidance". I'm going to retire a few years before 59 1/2 too and my rough drawdown plan is:

1 - Live off cash and taxable investment accounts first at a minimum bridging the gap to 59 1/2.
2 - Because of #1 we will have zero to low income, just paying some capital gains. So, during those years roll chunks for 401k and IRA into Roth by paying the lowest taxable income then and can then grow tax free thereafter.
3 - When it comes time to start drawing from retirement accounts - drawdown any regular 401k and IRA remaining that counts as income first, but, balancing it with non-taxable if it makes sense to stay in a lower tax bracket.
4 - If I get smart enough maybe there is fixed income each month from bond ladders and dividends.
5 - Required mandatory withdrawals (RMDs) for 401K and IRA (and SEP) start at age 70.
6 - Start collecting wife's SS early and postpone mine to age 70. That way she get's my highest possible payout if I die before she does.
7 -HSA accounts are second to last because no RMDs and can leave to wife tax free. Other heirs would pay tax as income.
8 - Roth very last accounts to take from, no RMDs and can leave to heirs tax free.

I'm 100% sure I'm screwed up in some of that planning. I'd appreciate any recommendations for books and websites too particularly management of cashflow during retirement and fixed income strategies.
A couple notes - before 65 one can try to use taxable monies to control their income so that they qualify for ACA subsidies. Also an HSA can be used for Medicare premiums - that's what I plan for most of my monies in that account to go to.
Yes, the ACA subsidies is a good one for me to add. Thanks!

For the HSA I keep thinking it's one of the last things to touch since it's triple tax leveraged. But, once you're retired and no longer making contributions, and you have a file cabinet full of receipts...........the balance isn't any different than a Roth. If you have cash or a RMD wouldn't you be better off using that instead of anything inside Roth growth protection?

Do you mind sharing your current asset allocation, and what you want it to be at retirement? Just curious what others like you are doing.
FWIW:

My Roth IRA:

My traditional IRA:

Wife’s Roth IRA:

My TSP: 50/50 large cap US / small cap US

@Al Czervik
In your hypothetical you had 3 million spread out at 60s, 70s, 80s.

If you thought about it as a 70-30 stocks to bonds in your 60s and 60-40 for your 70s and 50-50 for your 80s that averages out to 60-40 right?

The bigger question for me is what is the percentage of fixed income in today's market. My financial advisor made the comment in our last meeting that he thought the traditional 60-40 split is dead.
Eh - I disagree with this. 60/40 is nowhere near dead. Interest rate risk and their effect on bond funds has been a shock to a lot of folks (me included); that's likely where a lot of the angst is coming from. I have been moving monies into CD ladders, treasuries, and some AA corporate bonds with the intention of holding to maturity. Goal is to get about half of my bond allocation to fixed rate returns instead of being rate change sensitive like funds are. If I had a pot of money dropped on me now that's where I'd put it - lock in those 5% returns going out a while. That's a good return.
Returning to this discussion of 60/40. This is a very nice article in Morningstar. If you look at the last graph that shows Sharpe ratio over time with all stocks as the baseline.

Given the three choices 60/40 with it's pretty consistent outperformance and much more stable response than completely diversified makes it incredibly compelling. It is underperforming at the moment, but that's rare. It's a good bet (though nothing is certain) that in the future it will resume this benevolent behavior.

Last edited:
Ok, during financial advisor webinar they explained some things I did not know about SS.

- Spouse cannot collect spouse SS benefit (1/2 of my amount) until I start taking my SS. If she wants to start earlier than me she can only apply for her worker SS. News to me.

If your spouse has any amount of working SS why wouldn't you take it early knowing you can step up to the spousal benefit whenever the primary earner decides to start taking SS?

Seems like a no brainer to me, especially since she's several years older than me she can collect potentially many years before switching to half of mine.

If your spouse has any amount of working SS why wouldn't you take it early knowing you can step up to the spousal benefit whenever the primary earner decides to start taking SS?

Seems like a no brainer to me, especially since she's several years older than me she can collect potentially many years before switching to half of mine.
In general the highest payoff SS payout in a two player game is to have the lower earner claim at 62 and the high earner at 70. Not to mention the lower earner is usually the female half and she is expected to outlive him - his SS becomes longevity insurance for her.

There are a couple good tools out there to look at this - ssa.tools is a good place to start.

SIAP - What are the basic formulas for understanding if you can afford to retire?
Along with spend I'll add on taxes - state income taxes and some provision for federal (though Federal is likely to be low). And RE taxes (woe be to living in NJ). Retiring in Connecticut is way different than Tennessee. How long do you and the spouse have until Social Security kicks in? How much do you have in taxable monies per year until Social Security and Medicare?

Unfortunately decumulation is a pretty hideous math problem - all the big knobs (inflation, tax rates, market returns) are largely unknowns. You can play with something like firecalc to see where you stand - it does a good job of showing you the possible outcomes.

Last edited:
Evidently only 4% of retirees are living the dream. Probably has more to do with not knowing what the dream is as most are comfortable or doing ok.
Seeing as how most retirees count on SS for most of their income, it’s not surprising. The median retirement balances and net worths are pretty shocking.

That said, I do agree that people who are able to stay in their pre-retirement home and live OK might not say they are living the dream but they may be comfortable.

Evidently only 4% of retirees are living the dream. Probably has more to do with not knowing what the dream is as most are comfortable or doing ok.

That’s followed by higher-than-expected health-care costs, with 85%; a major market downturn that may significantly reduce their assets, 76%; not knowing how to best draw down income, 69%; and outliving their assets, 68%.

I think this is going to be such a big issue for many. Most of us that aren't in gov't jobs don't have pensions, so will be 100% reliant on our own retirement savings (and hopefully some version of SS). So we save and save and save, and if we do bother to educate ourselves it's mostly about how to save/invest better or more. And those who do have financial advisors, they're likely focused on the exact same things, especially if they are paid by AUM. Then comes a looming retirement, and a huge necessary mind shift from accumulation to decumulation, and I think we're going to see so many people struggle whether they have an advisor (many of whom aren't focused on this) or are self-directed. Lately I've switched a lot of my educational focus on podcasts/blogs/articles to the transition to retirement and decumulation....of course that's mostly because I'm hoping to make that transition in the next couple of years, and am considering getting certified to help coach others to do the same.

Last edited:

That’s followed by higher-than-expected health-care costs, with 85%; a major market downturn that may significantly reduce their assets, 76%; not knowing how to best draw down income, 69%; and outliving their assets, 68%.

I think this is going to be such a big issue for many. Most of us that aren't in gov't jobs don't have pensions, so will be 100% reliant on our own retirement savings (and hopefully some version of SS). So we save and save and save, and if we do bother to educate ourselves it's mostly about how to save/invest better or more. And those who do have financial advisors, they're likely focused on the exact same things, especially if they are paid by AUM. Then comes a looming retirement, and a huge necessary mind shift from accumulation to decumulation, and I think we're going to see so many people struggle whether they have an advisor (many of whom aren't focused on this) or are self-directed. Lately I've switched a lot of my educational focus on podcasts/blogs/articles to the transition to retirement and decumulation....of course that's mostly because I'm hoping to make that transition in the next couple of years, and am considering getting certified to help coach others to do the same.
I think it would be really helpful if you began that decumulation or at the very least stop accumulating and start spending instead while you're still working. Like over those last 5 years if not more, instead of contributing more to just a larger retirement, continue to work but start using some of that money you were intending on saving and instead start having some of those experiences while still working. I don't know how many vaca days people get but say you get 20. Use those to go on a couple nice long trips.

I think it would be really helpful if you began that decumulation or at the very least stop accumulating and start spending instead while you're still working. Like over those last 5 years if not more, instead of contributing more to just a larger retirement, continue to work but start using some of that money you were intending on saving and instead start having some of those experiences while still working. I don't know how many vaca days people get but say you get 20. Use those to go on a couple nice long trips.
yeah... a couple long trips with all this money that's just laying around

Not sure it’s going to matter for those under 40ish right now. Think the majority are going to be working until they drop.
Retirement isn't an age, it's a financial condition. Humans tend to be incredibly myopic - spend like drunken sailors, and then are surprised that they have to work to 90.

the very least stop accumulating
This is what the FIRE people call “CoastFI“. Get to a savings number that will, hypothetically, grow to your ultimate “number” at the age you want to retire, and stop saving. This lets you divert the money you had been saving to spending on experiences (or whatever).
Oh, cool, so that's an actual thing with a name. I had that thought a few years ago. I work for the gov so I have a pension, SS, and TSP (401K). I feel like my TSP is in a good spot with 10+ years until retirement. I still contribute because I think it would be dumb to not get the match, but I'm definitely not maxing out. I actually have never maxed out. I've worried in the past whether I should have been more aggressive earlier in my career, but fortunately I think my level of contribution has worked out so far and I feel like I'd be ok if, for some reason, I wasn't able to contribute another dollar.

I have a couple different avenues for when I get into my retirement window. I'd like to do a first retirement from my 30-35 Year career as a full time Mil/Gov and then pick up something closer to home in a part time role. Less for the money and more to stay active and engaged. I have no concerns once my home is paid off that my wife and I will be fine.

One of my bigger concerns right now is that I have 4 children between 12-17 who are 5-10 years away from being out on their own and in the workforce. The current state of home/car/insurance affordability doesn't paint a favorable picture for them to hit the ground running after college. It's not lost on me that adding a couple extra 30+ year salaries to my net worth would put my family in a more secure financial position.

I'd really love to be able to get the kids on their feet when they move out. Set them up for success and put them on a path to stay out of bad debt.

51 and just started a new job 6 months ago after my previous employer of 29 years suddenly decided to relocate.
Decent severance helped, but my new pay is substantially less than my old pay. Needless to say, my wife and I have some recalculating to do.
Two kids in college doesn't help.

This is what the FIRE people call “CoastFI“. Get to a savings number that will, hypothetically, grow to your ultimate “number” at the age you want to retire, and stop saving. This lets you divert the money you had been saving to spending on experiences (or whatever).
Big benefit of this approach is that it allows you to spend more in earlier years on travel or other activities where you are presumably going to be healthier.

Big benefit of this approach is that it allows you to spend more in earlier years on travel or other activities where you are presumably going to be healthier.

I'm reading "Die with Zero" right now, and while I don't agree with everything he proposes in the book there are some great nuggets. One of them is spending money on experiences earlier in life, as there are certain things you can do at younger ages that you won't be able to do later, and that applies from your 20s all the way up into your 50s-60s-70s, when we go through the go-go, slow-go, and finally no-go years. He also talks about the concept of compounding memory dividends - you get much more joy over your life from things you did earlier as you can think back on them fondly, tell stories, look at pictures, etc. For me that totally rings true, as there is a reason my college buddies and I still talk about so many of the same stories 30-35 years later.

I'd really love to be able to get the kids on their feet when they move out. Set them up for success and put them on a path to stay out of bad debt.

One of the other things he talks about is that if you are inclined to pass wealth to your kids, do so when it will have it's best utility or they can really enjoy the benefits. While getting a chunk of cash in your 50s-60s from an inheritance is obviously nice and all, for many it's probably not life changing. But how much more impactful would a much smaller amount have been had you been given it when you were 22 to take a dream vacation, to pay for college or pay off student loans, or at 30 to put toward a house?

I'm reading "Die with Zero" right now, and while I don't agree with everything he proposes in the book there are some great nuggets. One of them is spending money on experiences earlier in life, as there are certain things you can do at younger ages that you won't be able to do later, and that applies from your 20s all the way up into your 50s-60s-70s, when we go through the go-go, slow-go, and finally no-go years. He also talks about the concept of compounding memory dividends - you get much more joy over your life from things you did earlier as you can think back on them fondly, tell stories, look at pictures, etc. For me that totally rings true, as there is a reason my college buddies and I still talk about so many of the same stories 30-35 years later.
Yeah, Die with Zero is a good book and this concept of dividends on experiences really resonated with me too.

CoastFI is about where we are these days as a household. I quit my job a little over a month ago, but will likely pick up something in the coming months. Wife still works so the real function of this involves my taxable savings decreasing while hers increase more slowly. Of course, she still contributes to retirement up to only the match.

Not sure it’s going to matter for those under 40ish right now. Think the majority are going to be working until they drop.
Why? You have 25+ years (on average) to save. Are you saying they won’t save, or won’t live long enough?
I’m guessing the implication is that it’s more difficult to save these days with housing costs, student loans, etc.

Last edited:

One of the other things he talks about is that if you are inclined to pass wealth to your kids, do so when it will have it's best utility or they can really enjoy the benefits. While getting a chunk of cash in your 50s-60s from an inheritance is obviously nice and all, for many it's probably not life changing. But how much more impactful would a much smaller amount have been had you been given it when you were 22 to take a dream vacation, to pay for college or pay off student loans, or at 30 to put toward a house?
I am 51 and my wife has really started to drive this home. We have done a great job saving for retirement (not enough for college though) and she has recently stated how we are "going to make our kids rich" and she's right. She wants to start doing more for us and I can't argue with it.

Youngest kid heads off to college in the fall and I think her & I are going to spend some inheritance.

I have a couple different avenues for when I get into my retirement window. I'd like to do a first retirement from my 30-35 Year career as a full time Mil/Gov and then pick up something closer to home in a part time role. Less for the money and more to stay active and engaged. I have no concerns once my home is paid off that my wife and I will be fine.

One of my bigger concerns right now is that I have 4 children between 12-17 who are 5-10 years away from being out on their own and in the workforce. The current state of home/car/insurance affordability doesn't paint a favorable picture for them to hit the ground running after college. It's not lost on me that adding a couple extra 30+ year salaries to my net worth would put my family in a more secure financial position.

I made my 20 year old daughter open a Roth IRA. Will do the same when my youngest turns 18.

I showed them my 401k and Roth and explained I started in my early 20's. Here is what you can have if you save properly.

Was a real eye opener for them both.

I made my 20 year old daughter open a Roth IRA. Will do the same when my youngest turns 18.

I showed them my 401k and Roth and explained I started in my early 20's. Here is what you can have if you save properly.

Better watch your back...lol

Why? You have 25+ years (on average) to save. Are you saying they won’t save, or won’t live long enough?
I’m guessing the implication is that it’s more difficult to save these days with housing costs, student loans, etc.
It may be harder to do because of those things, but it also doesn’t take as much at those younger ages because of the time value of money. Assuming if you still have student loans you’re ~30. $5 a day invested for 30 years at 9% grows to $280k.

Last edited:

Needs to be a mandatory course in every high school.

:yes: We’ve done same.
We insist the oldest two max their Roth IRA while living in our house. Whether they keep that going when they leave is obviously up to them, but they’ll have a head start. The 21yo has well over double his annual income invested. 19yo has just over $10k. The 19yo is saving for a car and down payment on a house for when he graduates so he isn’t as aggressive outside the IRA. (The 21yo already bought a civic and doesn’t want a house any time soon).
We’re paying for their college other than scholarships and they live at home so their costs are super low. I think they’re off to a good start.

The wife and I will have our monthly (we haven’t been great about it) financial date next weekend. I’ll show her the numbers if we slowed investing, as we’re definitely coast FI. But neither of us want to stop investing.

Retirement isn't an age, it's a financial condition. Humans tend to be incredibly myopic - spend like drunken sailors, and then are surprised that they have to work to 90.
Exactly. Compound interest is still going to be a thing for people currently in their 20s and 30s. It's like exercise - there's nothing inherently difficult about any of this; it's just a matter of choosing to do it.

:yes: We’ve done same.
We insist the oldest two max their Roth IRA while living in our house. Whether they keep that going when they leave is obviously up to them, but they’ll have a head start. The 21yo has well over double his annual income invested. 19yo has just over $10k. The 19yo is saving for a car and down payment on a house for when he graduates so he isn’t as aggressive outside the IRA. (The 21yo already bought a civic and doesn’t want a house any time soon).
We’re paying for their college other than scholarships and they live at home so their costs are super low. I think they’re off to a good start.

The wife and I will have our monthly (we haven’t been great about it) financial date next weekend. I’ll show her the numbers if we slowed investing, as we’re definitely coast FI. But neither of us want to stop investing.
Same. We were able to get both kids through college (well, our youngest has one more year) debt-free. They both have reliable cars and very small Roths. They're well-positioned, and the one that is done with school seems to be making sensible decisions. I'm more worried about the younger one, but all I can do is get her set up for success - it's up to her after that.

Yeah, Die with Zero is a good book and this concept of dividends on experiences really resonated with me too.
I need to read this book. I'm a big believer in spending money on family experiences with my wife and child. It's only an 18 year window. Doing that means saving less for retirement. I should be ok with no mortgage, a pension, social security, and modest savings. I am definely not in the camp of working past 62 or waiting for retirement to travel and to complete some life bucket list.

It's only an 18 year window
It definitely changes, but hopefully you’ll continue to have great memories with your kin after they have a choice. ;)
Exactly. My oldest is 26. We go on a vacation, just her and I, once a year. The week we spent in San Diego might be the most fun I’ve had on a vacation. She just asked me last week where we’re going next year, she’s feeling like a Caribbean island lol.

It definitely changes, but hopefully you’ll continue to have great memories with your kin after they have a choice. ;)
Exactly. My oldest is 26. We go on a vacation, just her and I, once a year. The week we spent in San Diego might be the most fun I’ve had on a vacation. She just asked me last week where we’re going next year, she’s feeling like a Caribbean island lol.
Care to introduce her to my 21yo son?

Kidding, kinda. Not really.., :oldunsure:

66, retired at 55.5 or so and livin' it right now

if anyone really wants to know what it's like staring you in the face ...

I'm here for ya - let me know what you want to know

a lot of it is about not only what you have, risk tolerance and how you want to live

skol
Binky, ok if I give you a shout later today? Couple of questions.....

of course! :hifive:
Did you retire in a place where you were already settled, or did you pick up and move? We're leaning toward moving, and we're a little curious about how one meets people in a new community given that we're not working. Church is an option for us for sure, but we can't rely on that. We're actually debating the pros and cons of moving into a 55+ community, and one of the pros is that it should theoretically be easier to get to know our neighbors. (I still don't like that concept, but you get what I'm saying, I'm sure).

a lot of it is about not only what you have, risk tolerance and how you want to live

skol

Did you retire in a place where you were already settled, or did you pick up and move? We're leaning toward moving, and we're a little curious about how one meets people in a new community given that we're not working. Church is an option for us for sure, but we can't rely on that. We're actually debating the pros and cons of moving into a 55+ community, and one of the pros is that it should theoretically be easier to get to know our neighbors. (I still don't like that concept, but you get what I'm saying, I'm sure).

We are in the house we've been in since '96 and plan on staying. We had kids late so our son was in HS and daughter was in 3rd grade. Son has been out of the house for several years now and our daughter is at college but home for the summer.
It's more home than what we need - but it's the place where family congregates for holidays, dinners, etc and there is room for them if they want to stay over.
Same friends and social situation as before.

We have toyed with the idea of building in order to get just exactly what we want - you know after 28 years in a place there are plenty of things that you would like to change (ex. can't get a gas range in our current kitchen) and my wife wants a lot more closet storage where she doesn't have to go up and down stairs to change out her seasonal wardrobes.
It just seems like an overkill way to spend a bunch of money when you don't really have to.

Last edited:
I hear you and you are probably right. Mine is 14 right now and sometimes I feel like I'm a little panicked as his childhood is picking up steam quickly.

skol

My wife and I moved from NY to NC three years ago. I was 54, her 58. No kids. Moved into a subdivision that is somewhat mixed in age, but skews a bit younger than us (and plenty of people with kids). I work at home and she found a job.

Acquaintances are easy. But making actual friends... people you really enjoy spending decent time with and doing stuff beyond an occasional meal out - that's hard. Especially couple friends. Haven't done it yet. Not having kids and/or not being overly religious doesn't help - those both seem to be a bit of a roadblock in becoming better friends with people. It's cool though - we love it here, have great neighbors, and my wife is retiring next year so that'll free up more time to see our northeast friends.

My father is in his 80's and lives in Sun City Center FL (55+). It seems fantastic for this. If you can't find friends there, it's because you don't want to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread