What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “I want to retire soon” thread (1 Viewer)

I’m not judging you, but on the surface that sounds like you’re wasting away your life.

I’m sure I could’ve worded that a little better and I’m only saying this to be constructive/I care.

Have you seen the pyramids? The Grand Canyon? Great Continental divide? Since you like golf, Augusta? Colosseum? Normandy?

lol - yeah, much like prefacing something with "no offense, but ..."

it's more about being in a position to live my life the way I want to live my life and not worry about anything financially. I traveled and was away from home 4-5 days a week for years in my job and don't get excited about "travel" like some people.

we travel some, but it's not on our top priorities, we're both kind of homebodies and just recently had our first grandbaby that has had some problems so the kids need our help. We go to a nice island type place for a week or two each year and just got back from a 4 day weekend in Chicago to sightsee and drop some decent coin on high-end restaurants.

we're headed to Costa Rica the first of the year for a couple of weeks and then to Italy for a couple of weeks to visit our daughter who will be there for her sophomore 2nd semester (been talking to @Chemical X !). We've seen the Great Wall and were in China for a month (years ago to adopt our daughter) but that's the most adventurous .

we'll likely plan on some time in Europe in the next couple of years - and btw, when you run into how and where to buy one of those "day passes" for a couple grand to play Augusta, please let me know.

Sorry. I never mean it that way but it’s something I’m working on. To be fair, you painted an entirely different picture of your retirement in your first post.

I’ll see what I can do on the day passes. Send you a PM next week when I’m in the office.

I'm curious for the folks that are so fixated on early retirement, is it that you really dislike your job that much or is it more something in mind that your want to be doing that you can't be doing now? If the former, is there not another line of work that you can move into that you'd find more compatible to the life you'd like to live? For instance, you hate the commute which is where I was at during one point, is there not a wfh gig that maybe pays less, but give you better balance. If the latter and a lot of your free time is consumed by child responsibilities, does that change once they're no longer your day to day responsibility and you recapture that free time? Or maybe a combination of the two which was the case for me say 10 years ago. Or is it something else?
Put it in a different frame of mind by not calling it retirement. Call it being independently wealthy. Once you have enough money you can do whatever you want, work, play, whatever.
Sure if you're that wealthy. Talking more about the people that are so eager to retire, but are giving up retirement income by doing so thus limiting their retirement options.
It’s still the same thing. They are trading off things to be retired or independently wealthy.

Independently wealthy isn’t buy/spend whatever you want. It’s the ability to live the rest of your life in the framework you choose without ever having to work again if you don’t want to. Those people are just choosing a different framework.

when I look at the Social Security web site and it shows $X per month at the different ages, is a cost of living adjustment already factored into that number such that the $X I see today will be exactly what I receive when the time comes or does the number keep adjusting? (Note that I don't contribute to social security so my total input won't change going forward)

I'm 62 now, in 2012 a year after our youngest graduated from HS we had a dream of living on a lake. Due to the market crash and mortgage rates, it was the perfect storm and we were able to follow through with our dream. Bottom line, our house payments stayed the same but instead of paying off our house in 2017 we added 10 more years of house payments. It has been well worth it but I'm not raking in the big bucks like the average FBG so I'm probably looking at retirement when I'm 65-67.

IMO you need to either be wealthy enough to do a lot of traveling or have a plethora of activities or hobbies to keep you engaged once you retire. I built an an outdoor grilling station on our backyard patio overlooking the lake and property, this has given me an endless amount of gratification, grilling, drinks and great views. The only real current activity I have really enjoyed has been low scale mountain biking, one of the best endeavors I have ever taken up, hopefully I can continue this when I retire. Maybe take golf back up and get one of those cheap retiree memberships that gives you unlimited daytime weekday tee times.

Very jelly of all of you that are able to retire at a young age.

when I look at the Social Security web site and it shows $X per month at the different ages, is a cost of living adjustment already factored into that number such that the $X I see today will be exactly what I receive when the time comes or does the number keep adjusting? (Note that I don't contribute to social security so my total input won't change going forward)
Pretty sure it is showing you today‘s dollars. Someone posted a link to another tool they offer to predict your SS earnings and it had an option to see it in future dollars.

I'm 64. Planning on retiring in June 2024. Most of my friends are retired or will be retiring soon. A few retired and then went back to work part-time. No way that I am doing that.

I don't think I'll ever retire. I enjoy my job and work from home. Retirement is the #1 killer of old people.
If you don’t have a plan, or it entails an unhealthy lifestyle, maybe.

But if you love the outdoors, being active and traveling, seems like retirement can be at least as fulfilling as most jobs.

Pretty sure it is showing you today‘s dollars. Someone posted a link to another tool they offer to predict your SS earnings and it had an option to see it in future dollars.
I highly recommend this one: https://ssa.tools/calculator

It calculates what you will get if you quit now, not what you'll get if you keep working until 65, etc.

I haven't read the entire thread yet. If you are able, do it.
I retired July of 2022 at the age of 58 with 35+ years at the VA. 31 of those years as IT - software support/programmer.
House and vehicles paid off, kids grown and married, and no debt.

It's a massive pay cut, but the free time to visit with kids and grandkids, concentrate on my hobbies, read ... and pretty much do whatever I want, is worth it.
I do miss some of the people I worked with, but I had worked from home since 2015, so that was an easy transition.

My biggest grip was the fact that I had worked for the government all those years, and seen so many people retire and get big sendoffs.
I got nothing. Being that I worked from home, whenever I would go to the hospital, people would see me and say "I thought you retired." So, when I did, crickets.

I haven't read the entire thread yet. If you are able, do it.
I retired July of 2022 at the age of 58 with 35+ years at the VA. 31 of those years as IT - software support/programmer.
House and vehicles paid off, kids grown and married, and no debt.

It's a massive pay cut, but the free time to visit with kids and grandkids, concentrate on my hobbies, read ... and pretty much do whatever I want, is worth it.
I do miss some of the people I worked with, but I had worked from home since 2015, so that was an easy transition.

My biggest grip was the fact that I had worked for the government all those years, and seen so many people retire and get big sendoffs.
I got nothing. Being that I worked from home, whenever I would go to the hospital, people would see me and say "I thought you retired." So, when I did, crickets.
Ha. Last thing I want is a big send off. I’ll tell my manager, tell her to keep it on the DL and do an Irish exit.

I’m not judging you, but on the surface that sounds like you’re wasting away your life.

I’m sure I could’ve worded that a little better and I’m only saying this to be constructive/I care.

Have you seen the pyramids? The Grand Canyon? Great Continental divide? Since you like golf, Augusta? Colosseum? Normandy?

lol - yeah, much like prefacing something with "no offense, but ..."

it's more about being in a position to live my life the way I want to live my life and not worry about anything financially. I traveled and was away from home 4-5 days a week for years in my job and don't get excited about "travel" like some people.

we travel some, but it's not on our top priorities, we're both kind of homebodies and just recently had our first grandbaby that has had some problems so the kids need our help. We go to a nice island type place for a week or two each year and just got back from a 4 day weekend in Chicago to sightsee and drop some decent coin on high-end restaurants.

we're headed to Costa Rica the first of the year for a couple of weeks and then to Italy for a couple of weeks to visit our daughter who will be there for her sophomore 2nd semester (been talking to @Chemical X !). We've seen the Great Wall and were in China for a month (years ago to adopt our daughter) but that's the most adventurous .

we'll likely plan on some time in Europe in the next couple of years - and btw, when you run into how and where to buy one of those "day passes" for a couple grand to play Augusta, please let me know.

Sorry. I never mean it that way but it’s something I’m working on. To be fair, you painted an entirely different picture of your retirement in your first post.

I’ll see what I can do on the day passes. Send you a PM next week when I’m in the office.

np, i didn't take it that way - it made me chuckle ...

I'm 47 and in my 22nd year teaching in Florida. . I have to do a minimum of 30 years. That will put me at age 55. At that point, my pension would only pay me 48% of my top 5 years. In a perfect world, I would enter the deferred retirement option plan offered in Florida and teach another 6 years and that would get almost to 62 and social security. I just don't know if I could do it. i'm already feeling burnt in and pondering a possible second career in my mid 50s. No clue what that would be. No matter what, I'm not working past 62.
A general reminder that social security, which is available at age 62, automatically increases by 8% each year until it maxes out after age 70. The trade off becomes life expectancy.
I've napkin'd math those numbers and the break even point for waiting is close to 90 years old. I'm taking it as soon as I can.

it's around 81-82 yrs old for the break-even btw ...

pura vida. when you going? gonna be there for 1/14-1/24. love it there.

1/3 - 1/15 - we are going with another couple - we're splitting time in a house up on a big hill and one that is on the beach

I'm 47 and in my 22nd year teaching in Florida. . I have to do a minimum of 30 years. That will put me at age 55. At that point, my pension would only pay me 48% of my top 5 years. In a perfect world, I would enter the deferred retirement option plan offered in Florida and teach another 6 years and that would get almost to 62 and social security. I just don't know if I could do it. i'm already feeling burnt in and pondering a possible second career in my mid 50s. No clue what that would be. No matter what, I'm not working past 62.
That's rough. Ohio has a pretty good teacher retirement system. I can be out at 34 years with about 78% of my top 5 year average. The target is moving to 35 years, but that was recently delayed until 2028, so I can take advantage of the 34 year escape.

When I was in my 30's I had hoped to retire as early as 54, maybe 57. I'll be 52 in March and just can't imagine retiring in a few years. Its not so much a financial thing but it just doesnt feel right in terms of being in the prime of effectiveness in my career (magnified by peak earnings that are much greater than even 10yrs ago).

I can't say I love what I do, but there is certainly a satisfaction in it. So for me I anticipate plowing away until at least late 50's. I travel a ton and the job is stressful....but not having the daily drudgery of driving into an office is a really big deal in not wanting/needing to stop imo.

Agree with another poster who said that all of the people (including me) talking about retiring in our 50's (or frankly even early 60's) goes to show how fortunate so many are. Its very eye opening.

61, will be 62 in May and seriously looking at retiring. Problem is I was never a saver and with four small 401k's, and two smallish pensions and SS my income will be about $170 less than I bring in now. I will have to buy ins from the HCA for 3yrs , but I have a nice pot of cash for medical from one of my past employers to help with that.
I like my job but just not up top the grind anymore. I will definitely get a part time job, driving or at a golf course or something.

My planned retirement income has me pulling 10%/yr from each 401k, or combining them into one eventually, but still I'm planning on 10%/yr along with my SS and pensions.

Is 10% too high? Too low? What is the norm?

61, will be 62 in May and seriously looking at retiring. Problem is I was never a saver and with four small 401k's, and two smallish pensions and SS my income will be about $170 less than I bring in now. I will have to buy ins from the HCA for 3yrs , but I have a nice pot of cash for medical from one of my past employers to help with that.
I like my job but just not up top the grind anymore. I will definitely get a part time job, driving or at a golf course or something.

My planned retirement income has me pulling 10%/yr from each 401k, or combining them into one eventually, but still I'm planning on 10%/yr along with my SS and pensions.

Seems way too high to me unless you intended to not need it in 10yrs. Continuing some part time work and drawing a decent amount less would seem like a more certain / less risky path.

A 10% withdrawal rate is very very high. In the past, 4% was recommended for a normal retirement length but even that has proven to be too aggressive because of inflation.

There are a TON of variables though, so rules of thumb may not apply in your case. The best thing to do is to use an online calculator, plug in all your numbers and see what the results are.

You may want to consider rolling over all 401k's into a single ira, unless you are getting some extra benefits from the old 401k's.

I agree that 4%/yr is a common target for withdrawals from retirement funds. If I can earn 3%/yr with more conservative investments, that’s a modest 1% drop per year.

Crunched numbers this morning. Barring any unforeseen craziness (and what could go wrong?) I feel comfortable planning to retire in June 2038. Not schtick. That’s what having an 8-year old kid at age 53 will do to you. I’ll check back in in a decade or so.

A 10% withdrawal rate is very very high. In the past, 4% was recommended for a normal retirement length but even that has proven to be too aggressive because of inflation.

There are a TON of variables though, so rules of thumb may not apply in your case. The best thing to do is to use an online calculator, plug in all your numbers and see what the results are.

You may want to consider rolling over all 401k's into a single ira, unless you are getting some extra benefits from the old 401k's.
The original 4% rule by William Bengen assumed 3% inflation with a 30 year retirement period. Investors in a 50/50 stock/bond portfolio very rarely ran out of money historically in 30 years. When he tested it at 5% it didnt work, sometimes only giving you 20 years of retirement which he deemed unacceptable.

The 4% rule is without SS though and assumes spending remains the same throughout retirement which in reality in most cases it declines. So the 4% rule is pretty conservative.

Last edited:
If you withdraw 10% per year, those funds will be gone in somewhere between 10 and 20 years, probably closer to 10. In theory, a 4% withdrawal rate leaves the principal untouched so you can draw that percentage forever. That’s how endowments work.

If you withdraw 10% per year, those funds will be gone in somewhere between 10 and 20 years, probably closer to 10. In theory, a 4% withdrawal rate leaves the principal untouched so you can draw that percentage forever. That’s how endowments work.
The 4% rule wasnt meant to do that. You're thinking of the Crossover Point rule.

I agree that 4%/yr is a common target for withdrawals from retirement funds. If I can earn 3%/yr with more conservative investments, that’s a modest 1% drop per year.
You’re assuming no inflation, which impact compounds. For all the folks planning to retire at 55, unless a date with the bottom of the Golden Gate Bridge is planned at age 70 seems like the math will be problematic.

Does anyone want to bank on 3% inflation for the next 20+ yrs?

this discussion of how much to withdraw, for how long, and that every single person you will ask has a different opinion and is solidly convinced their method is correct and everyone else is an idiot.... is precisely why i don't think i'll ever retire.

this discussion of how much to withdraw, for how long, and that every single person you will ask has a different opinion and is solidly convinced their method is correct and everyone else is an idiot.... is precisely why i don't think i'll ever retire.
Well, Dave Ramsey and his 8% rule is dumb and he's an idiot. I'll go that far.

Otherwise, decumulation is a ridiculously hard problem. The huge knobs - longevity, market returns, sequence of returns, and inflation are unknowns. You have to plan against four massive unknowns. This is kind of ironic since accumulation is so much simpler - it turns out that dollar cost averaging is an incredible way to build wealth and that is what everyone uses by nature of salary. Anyway, the rules that tend to work are failsafe type methods. The 4% is pretty good for a 30 year retirement, as is ~3.5% for 40 years. Other dynamic methods have come around if one can handle the complexity - VPW and CAPE based are probably the most interesting out there. They allow for some variance to maximize utility while trying to make sure one has something to withdraw on their last day.

No doubt, though, the planning for withdrawals requires much more finesse and thought than accumulation. I wouldn't give up, though. Track expenses, then use that to figure out the best you can what expenses in retirement looks like (medical, dental costs, travel, etc.). Get to 30x that, use some reasonable withdrawal scheme, and you should be ok.

The 4% rule wasnt meant to do that. You're thinking of the Crossover Point rule.

The 4% rule, while a little outdated now, also was not designed for early retirees either. With many in this thread looking to retire in their 50's and with humans living longer than when the initial 4% rule was showcased, every one needs to create their own formula based on their own circumstances.

No two retirements are the same. The amount of variables involved is large, which is why a good calculator should be asking endless questions before it does any computations for you.

You can look at some online ideas to see if you want to do a quick back of the napkin type of comp to see if you are any where close to retiring but everyone really needs to crunch their own numbers for themselves. No one has access to the type of specific information that each individual situation needs.

The original 4% rule by William Bengen assumed 3% inflation with a 30 year retirement period. Investors in a 50/50 stock/bond portfolio very rarely ran out of money historically in 30 years. When he tested it at 5% it didnt work, sometimes only giving you 20 years of retirement which he deemed unacceptable.

The 4% rule is without SS though and assumes spending remains the same throughout retirement which in reality in most cases it declines. So the 4% rule is pretty conservative.

One of the problem's with the 4% rule is that health care costs sky rocketed in the time from when he created it. There was no way to predict that one area (which effects retirees more than young people) was going to skew so hard and make the rule difficult to follow in modern times.

Retirement has now taken on a roller coaster look to spending in recent years, where early retirement sees more spending, middle retirement expenses drop and then in late retirement they rise again (almost entirely due to health care costs).

The 4% rule, while a little outdated now, also was not designed for early retirees either. With many in this thread looking to retire in their 50's and with humans living longer than when the initial 4% rule was showcased, every one needs to create their own formula based on their own circumstances.
No doubt. It's just a simple rule of thumb for discussion purposes. Someone asked about a 10% draw down so it's a decent response. I run a full cashflow analysis every three months and have been tweaking the inputs for years.

That's rough. Ohio has a pretty good teacher retirement system. I can be out at 34 years with about 78% of my top 5 year average. The target is moving to 35 years, but that was recently delayed until 2028, so I can take advantage of the 34 year escape.
Florida is 1.6% for each year.

Counting down the years. I'm 53 and aiming to retire at 62. Me and the wife are looking at retiring abroad. We don't have kids so we're totally free to go anywhere we want.

I'd love to retire by 60 but I don't see that happening.

Sure, lots of opinions and options but I don't agree with your sentiment that everyone's convinced their method is correct and that everyone else is an idiot. Also, there is a difference between opinions and math. The math says that drawing down 10% every year from a fund will deplete that fund within a certain time window. If that works for a particular retiree, then that could be a fine option for them. But for most, they'll need their nest egg to hold out longer.

I think that equation only makes sense if you assume inflation is 0%.
As others note, everyone will find their own dynamic. SS for my wife and me, along with a pension of hers, will rise with inflation. So we do have some protection for that.

I'm 61 and have been considering it a lot lately. I don't have a massive retirement portfolio, but I could live out my expected lifespan with relatively the same QoL I live now.

That big fly in the ointment is healthcare. I have some health issues and my job provides a better plan than most Americans get. I could roll the dice, retire, and hope to keep what good health I have until Medicare can kick in at 65. I do not want to pay out of pocket for a comparable plan until then, but a bad turn of health could be ruinous (especially if I survive it and need special care and/or have relapses). So I'm leaning towards working until 65 if I can get there.
I am in a similar boat ... 60 yo and 35 years with same company. Started at the bottom .. making good $ now, but due to "complications" my 401K/retirement is not where I would like it... about 60% of what the "forecast" of what I will need for wife & I.
Recent medical and family issues are looking like I won't retire 62-64 like I had planned. Now costs are driving me to 68-70 yo and the big driver is healthcare.
If I work til 70, my wife gets medical until she qualifies for her retirement/medical plan.

HEALTHCARE IS NOT WHERE WE NEED IT IN THIS COUNTRY.

This thread convinced me to do deeper analysis than I normally do. If I did this correctly, I can stop working in 6 months at my 50th birthday and do nothing until 65 and would get ~50% of my current salary between pension, 401k and SS. That surprised me (and made me happy). But, with 4 kids still at home - one in college and two more to go, I need to get to at least 55-60 before I can totally pivot to anything I want work-wise. Think my goal would be to get to 60 - pay for (potentially) two weddings, 4 cars, 3 college degrees and have the house paid off. And then do whatever the hell I wan’t.

A general reminder that social security, which is available at age 62, automatically increases by 8% each year until it maxes out after age 70. The trade off becomes life expectancy.
I've napkin'd math those numbers and the break even point for waiting is close to 90 years old. I'm taking it as soon as I can.

That’s assuming no return on investment during the break even period. I’ve done numbers before and my plan is to start at 62 and invest (probably will use the SS $$$ but not withdraw that amount). If you include any type of return it extends the breakeven from the simple math. This assumes you have enough of a nest egg to invest and still have stocks/index funds. If you get enough of a return (I think around 7% or 8%), the extra SS $$$s you got at 62-70 will cover the extra monthly difference you get at 70 and you have that SS nest egg from 62-70 in your account for your kids.

I'm 48, retired like fifteen years ago. I am trying to figure out what to do now. My son is a computer science major in college, so I was thinking of learning about coding. Maybe start as a hobby then see where it goes. I dunno. Retirement has been nice fwiw.

That’s assuming no return on investment during the break even period. I’ve done numbers before and my plan is to start at 62 and invest (probably will use the SS $$$ but not withdraw that amount). If you include any type of return it extends the breakeven from the simple math. This assumes you have enough of a nest egg to invest and still have stocks/index funds. If you get enough of a return (I think around 7% or 8%), the extra SS $$$s you got at 62-70 will cover the extra monthly difference you get at 70 and you have that SS nest egg from 62-70 in your account for your kids.
The vast majority of people consume the money, not invest it. And there is no guarantee at all of the returns you're talking about even if you have the largesse to invest this instead of spend it. With treasury rates being so high, though, maybe there is a strategy that has a bit more certainty to it.

One of the problem's with the 4% rule is that health care costs sky rocketed in the time from when he created it. There was no way to predict that one area (which effects retirees more than young people) was going to skew so hard and make the rule difficult to follow in modern times.

Retirement has now taken on a roller coaster look to spending in recent years, where early retirement sees more spending, middle retirement expenses drop and then in late retirement they rise again (almost entirely due to health care costs).

Have you found that you have been spending more than 4% and/or having your portfolio shrink more than forecast? Also curious if you read the book Die With Zero that has been going around the FIRE community in the last year.

Not sure if you still follow the early retirement org forum, but I recall being surprised there when most folks were saying my SWR would be more like 2% than 4% at my age.

I very much disagree, but decided to forestall retirement in 22 because the market took a dive and didn't really bounce back. I do have some friends of similar age that retired in that period. Sequence of return cannot be positive for them.

I'm 48, retired like fifteen years ago. I am trying to figure out what to do now. My son is a computer science major in college, so I was thinking of learning about coding. Maybe start as a hobby then see where it goes. I dunno. Retirement has been nice fwiw.
Win the lottery? Married into money?

The vast majority of people consume the money, not invest it. And there is no guarantee at all of the returns you're talking about even if you have the largesse to invest this instead of spend it. With treasury rates being so high, though, maybe there is a strategy that has a bit more certainty to it.
There’s no guarantee you make it to 70 either. We aren’t talking about people who need SS to live in here so it’s a valid discussion for this thread. Also, the point about the nest egg is that 7% isn’t some far fetched rate. That’s 30% less than the historical index. If you have enough of a nest egg that either you invest the SS money or use SS and don’t withdraw the same amount, you should be able to have a long term investment look.

My example is taking SS at 62 and I assume you are saying wait until 70 for max monthly payments. That to me means you don’t need SS from 62-70. Eight years is a long term look IMHO and then add in the 10-20 year breakeven and you are talking 18-28 year returns. The worst 30 year annual return is 7.8% and that includes the Great Depression. 90% of 20 year returns are above 7%. A lot of us in here still have around 10 years before even hitting 62.

I think it’s very reasonable to assume a 7% return when you are talking basically a minimum of a couple decades.

There’s no guarantee you make it to 70 either. We aren’t talking about people who need SS to live in here so it’s a valid discussion for this thread. Also, the point about the nest egg is that 7% isn’t some far fetched rate. That’s 30% less than the historical index. If you have enough of a nest egg that either you invest the SS money or use SS and don’t withdraw the same amount, you should be able to have a long term investment look.

My example is taking SS at 62 and I assume you are saying wait until 70 for max monthly payments. That to me means you don’t need SS from 62-70. Eight years is a long term look IMHO and then add in the 10-20 year breakeven and you are talking 18-28 year returns. The worst 30 year annual return is 7.8% and that includes the Great Depression. 90% of 20 year returns are above 7%. A lot of us in here still have around 10 years before even hitting 62.

I think it’s very reasonable to assume a 7% return when you are talking basically a minimum of a couple decades.
I agree with you and if you wait and then start investigating it at 70 the break even point for waiting is closer to 90. I think my model uses 6% instead of 7%. I'll have to check.

The next thing we are going to look at is converting all pretax 401k into Roth over the first 5-7 years in retirement when income will be low as we are living off cash, tax bracket is low and then letting it grow to see where that break point is.

Users who are viewing this thread