What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Travis Kelce, KC (2 Viewers)

The NFL is going to milk the Swift thing raw. It is bringing many thousands of new eyeballs to football. There are already so many hilarious reports out there of “swifties” trying to figure out the rules of football.

“What is a down? Is that when they drop the ball?”

**** you not.

I couldn't care less about Taylor Swift, but yeah, this is like the Pink Hat phenomenon in Boston Red Sox lore, and then baseball lore in general. Women got into the Red Sox because they all of the sudden had status after 2004 and were the "cool" thing to affiliate one's self with for a myriad of reasons, one reason being that the culture of Boston is batshit crazy for baseball and baseball winners. Ortiz is the biggest Boston celebrity since Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, and Pedro is a close second to Ortiz. It's just . . . huge on an almost Hollywood-esque level. So the Red Sox, realizing that, put forward a gender-influenced hat line after their historic comeback against the Yankees and subsequent WS win, increasing sales by emphasizing the color pink instead of the traditional red, white, and blue of the Sox.

The Pink Hats, as newbie Red Sox were now known by (the critics say that the disparaging epithet of "pink hat" to a newbie was laden and loaded with sexism), were unwelcome to old fans, who supposedly renounced their fandom because of all of the PR and the new look of the Red Sox, which included advertising all over Fenway.

Fast forward to today: The Red Sox are still a huge brand. They pull in men and women from all over New England and could care less about a bunch of broke Boston blue-collar workers that can't even begin to think about affording their ticket prices anymore. So they lost those guys, gained some upper crust women, and called it even.

You decide what's better. Now, on to football and the Swfities. I know I'm sticking with the old NFL rather than the Johnny-come-lately Swifties if this were to be the permanent tack the NFL took. But they won't, and it isn't. It's not like the Pink Hats in Boston, where it was about local and national status. This is about a relationship that'll be fleeting as heck and we won't hear about in six months' time. Yeah, so the year will go by with Taylor Swift dating Kelce. I'm certainly not leaving the game. That would be stupid. Because of the Swfities? They won't stick with this sport, IMO.

And that's that in Hugsyville.

I mean Swift is 33 years old. At some point all this pandemonium ends. A mid 30s Swift singing about dating?

She will. Her fan base sort of demands she sing about something they're all concerned with. So it's either fame or love. She could do political songs, but they wouldn't be in character. So . . . songs about fame or love.

Fast forward to today: The Red Sox are still a huge brand. They pull in men and women from all over New England and could care less about a bunch of broke Boston blue-collar workers that can't even begin to think about affording their ticket prices anymore. So they lost those guys, gained some upper crust women, and called it even.

This is true of every sport in every city.

I think the NFL is more amused by this than anything and is looking to capitalize on something that they very well should capitalize on. I don't see it as being any big deal until the Swift lovers dilute the product or something. Coverage has always been about celebrities in the expensive boxes, and this is no different.

Travis is now among the people in the most expensive celebrity box there is, so we're naturally going to get jump cuts and supercuts to Taylor as she embarks on her mission of love for Travis.

Oh, I have a nickname for it. It's called Traylor.

I couldn't care less about Taylor Swift, but yeah, this is like the Pink Hat phenomenon in Boston Red Sox lore, and then baseball lore in general. Women got into the Red Sox because they all of the sudden had status after 2004 and were the "cool" thing to affiliate one's self with for a myriad of reasons, one reason being that the culture of Boston is batshit crazy for baseball and baseball winners. Ortiz is the biggest Boston celebrity since Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, and Pedro is a close second to Ortiz. It's just . . . huge on an almost Hollywood-esque level. So the Red Sox, realizing that, put forward a gender-influenced hat line after their historic comeback against the Yankees and subsequent WS win, increasing sales by emphasizing the color pink instead of the traditional red, white, and blue of the Sox.

The Pink Hats, as newbie Red Sox were now known by (the critics say that the disparaging epithet of "pink hat" to a newbie was laden and loaded with sexism), were unwelcome to old fans, who supposedly renounced their fandom because of all of the PR and the new look of the Red Sox, which included advertising all over Fenway.

You decide what's better. Now, on to football and the Swfities. I know I'm sticking with the old NFL rather than the Johnny-come-lately Swifties if this were to be the permanent tack the NFL took. But they won't, and it isn't. It's not like the Pink Hats in Boston, where it was about local and national status. This is about a relationship that'll be fleeting as heck and we won't hear about in six months' time. Yeah, so the year will go by with Taylor Swift dating Kelce. I'm certainly not leaving the game. That would be stupid. Because of the Swfities? They won't stick with this sport, IMO.

It has been changing in the NFL for a while before the Swifties. Just look at the SB halftime shows.

It has been changing in the NFL for a while before the Swifties. Just look at the SB halftime shows.

Yeah, it has been changing. The halftime show is now purely aimed at the mass audience, which must include women to garner the most eyeballs. I hear you.

Long way from the Baltimore marching band (or whatever marching band it was) at Super Bowl I. But everything about it has come a long way. Dare I say "A long way, baby." Or is that more Al Davis than Virginia Slims.

Oh, baby, am I ever dating myself with that reference, person, and product, aren't I?

Yeah, it has been changing. The halftime show is now purely aimed at the mass audience, which must include women to garner the most eyeballs. I hear you.

Long way from the Baltimore marching band (or whatever marching band it was) at Super Bowl I. But everything about it has come a long way. Dare I say "A long way, baby." Or is that more Al Davis than Virginia Slims.

Oh, baby, am I ever dating myself with that reference, person, and product, aren't I?
Grambling

I think the NFL is more amused by this than anything and is looking to capitalize on something that they very well should capitalize on. I don't see it as being any big deal until the Swift lovers dilute the product or something. Coverage has always been about celebrities in the expensive boxes, and this is no different.

Travis is now among the people in the most expensive celebrity box there is, so we're naturally going to get jump cuts and supercuts to Taylor as she embarks on her mission of love for Travis.

Yeah, this is their NBA floor seats for the Lakers moment for sure.

The pink hat thing, much like the Swiftie thing, is weird gatekeeping.

Let people enjoy the thing you enjoy even if they enjoy it for different reasons. It's that easy.

The pink hat thing, much like the Swiftie thing, is weird gatekeeping.

Let people enjoy the thing you enjoy even if they enjoy it for different reasons. It's that easy.
Agreed. It reminds me of Metallica fans flipping out over TBA because there were all these new fans and they weren't "real" fans like they were. Blah, blah, blah. It's all just noise. Just enjoy what you like.

When do we start talking about how Kelce has been a bust at ADP for fantasy?
He is still 7th in TE points despite missing week 1, so that is pretty good. Also, he is 3rd in points per week among TEs, so if he stays on the field all season, I'd be shocked if he still doesn't finish as the top TE (or top 3 at worst). I do wonder if he came back from the injury too soon, as he didn't look like his usual self in week 2, but he is facing some dreadful defenses here in the next month (Minnesota, Denver x2), so he should eat well in those games.

He is still 7th in TE points despite missing week 1, so that is pretty good. Also, he is 3rd in points per week among TEs, so if he stays on the field all season, I'd be shocked if he still doesn't finish as the top TE (or top 3 at worst). I do wonder if he came back from the injury too soon, as he didn't look like his usual self in week 2, but he is facing some dreadful defenses here in the next month (Minnesota, Denver x2), so he should eat well in those games.
But unless he is the #1 TE and has a good sized point advantage over #2, he's a bust where he was drafted.

Not worried about Kelce one bit. He missed the first game because of a late injury in practice. He has 2 tds in 3 games—and one of the games was against a really great defensive effort by the Jets. I fully anticipate that he ends up being the leader in receiving yards and td’s for the chiefs barring injury—-and that will still put him in the TE1 range. As a Kelce owner—sure—I would have liked a better start—but I have zero trust issues starting him—and thats why i drafted him.

yeah, the swift thing is about as interesting to me as fantasy football is to the swifties. Don't care.

Kelce is gonna be fine. Basically KC needs anyone else to be a "player" to unlock him. All the otehr guys in KC are playing as if they watched sammy watkins tape with the offense instead of Tyreeks. Hopefully that should "figure itself out" as they get more reps.

I mean, anyone that was buying the whole "take him in the 1st round" is getting what they deserve. The reason teams won championships with him last year b/c they nailed their 1st 2 picks and got him in the 3rd, or nailed the first and 3rd picks and got him in the 2nd. He had to absolutely be on par with his crazy seasons to be worth 1st round picks this year. And even still, I don't know if it would have been a good decision.

I mean, anyone that was buying the whole "take him in the 1st round" is getting what they deserve. The reason teams won championships with him last year b/c they nailed their 1st 2 picks and got him in the 3rd, or nailed the first and 3rd picks and got him in the 2nd. He had to absolutely be on par with his crazy seasons to be worth 1st round picks this year. And even still, I don't know if it would have been a good decision.
Unless you came out of the middle of the 1st round with Hill, Diggs, or maybe Robinson...the 1st round has been a minefield of disappointment this year.

Travis is now among the people in the most expensive celebritybox there is, so we're naturally going to get jump cuts and supercuts to Taylor as she embarks on her mission of love for Travis.

Yeah, this is their NBA floor seats for the Lakers moment for sure.
He was going in the 1st last year and the year before.

7th at the TE position for a top 7 overall pick is an absolute bust. Sorry.

Incoming: 8/134/3

He's #2 TE in Hppr PPG so far behind MAndrews (who also missed a game). Of course he has to finish #1 TE to return value. He's been more valuable than 6 of top 12 ADP players by my reckoning, it's a push.

Incoming: 8/134/3
Exactly, thats all it takes is one game like this and he'll be #1 ROS

The season is not 1/4 of the way over yet. Maybe wait and see how it plays out before we ask for the judge's final decision? ;)

The season is not 1/4 of the way over yet. Maybe wait and see how it plays out before we ask for the judge's final decision? ;)
of course, which is why I said "has".

The best way to beat MIN is do what PHI did.....run it right down their throat and keep Jefferson on the sidelines. I can see a healthy dose of Pacheco/McKinnon in that game.

Now against DEN, yeah Kelce should eat in those games, but it is a division rival.

Kelce still doesn't look right to me. He looks slow going in and out of his breaks. That knee is still bothering him obviously and I'm not sure this gets better any time soon. Chiefs bye is week 10. So it may be awhile before he really feels good.

He also looks heavier to me.

Travis Kelce (ankle) was able to practice on Tuesday.

Kelce did have his ankle heavily taped, but him being on the field and able to participate in drills is big news with the Chiefs playing on Thursday night against Denver. How his ankle responds to today’s work will give us more of an indication of what level of performance we can expect from the star tight end on Thursday night.

I'll be surprised if they need him Thursday night, worried he'll play but mostly be a decoy. Denver's defense is atrocious this year, I imagine there will be a heavy dose of Pacheco running the clock in the second half.

I'll be surprised if they need him Thursday night, worried he'll play but mostly be a decoy. Denver's defense is atrocious this year, I imagine there will be a heavy dose of Pacheco running the clock in the second half.

He went back in the game. Already at least getting in a limited practice.

NFL coaches don't really think in terms of needing players. They know on any given sunday sh*t could happen.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't play and play well.

The Chiefs absolutely need him. They looked lost in game 1 when he was out.
Game 1 was against the Lions.

Both words starting with the letters "De" is about all Detroit and Denver defenses have in common this year.
With all due respect the Chiefs haven’t looked dominant at all this year outside of the Bears game

I agree the Chiefs aren’t firing on all cylinders yet, but Denver just made Fields and Zach Wilson look like super studs after giving up 70 to Miami. It is a Thursday game so anything can happen though.

The yards per target drop so far is concerning. He is right about where Tony G was when he hit 34 yrs and started having 850 yd seasons with 6 yds per target.

The Chiefs absolutely need him. They looked lost in game 1 when he was out.
Game 1 was against the Lions.

Both words starting with the letters "De" is about all Detroit and Denver defenses have in common this year.
With all due respect the Chiefs haven’t looked dominant at all this year outside of the Bears game

I agree the Chiefs aren’t firing on all cylinders yet, but Denver just made Fields and Zach Wilson look like super studs after giving up 70 to Miami. It is a Thursday game so anything can happen though.
Nobody made Zach Wilson look better than the Chiefs. Justin Fields has actually shown really good signs of life since starting out the season slow. I understand the point that you are trying to make—but I don’t agree with it at all. The Chiefs were a couple fortunate calls away from losing to the Jets and the Vikings. They looked really bad against the Jags. They have not looked anywhere close to good enough to where they can sit their biggest weapon on offense outside of Mahomes and just count on winning big. I’m not saying that it can’t happen—I’m saying that they haven’t played well enough thus far this season to act like it should be anywhere close to expected. The Chiefs are fortunate to have the record they do with the way they have been playing.

of course, which is why I said "has".
2nd in points scored now this year by a TE. :cool:

Chiefs look bad due to the Golfcap calling plays - matt nagy is brian schottenheimer bad at play calling. bad hire, bad coach, bad schemes, this won't change Chiefs are today the same as they'll be in dec and jan.

Users who are viewing this thread