What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Logan Thomas, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

The Cardinals plan to get Logan Thomas "a ton of reps" this offseason.

"He's going to get a ton of work," Bruce Arians said. "We drafted him for two years from now, not November." The Cardinals need to find out what they have in Thomas, who should open the season behind injury-prone QBs Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. He struggled on limited snaps in 2014, and was passed over for Ryan Lindley in two late-season starts. Thomas won't prevent the Cardinals from drafting a long-term answer at quarterback.

Source: azcardinals.com
Mar 27 - 8:07 PM
He had a yards per attempt last year of 9.0, it was however on 1 of 9 passing.

I like him. I think he can do what Bruce Arians asks of him but with that said, this is going to be his season to show if he's got potential or not. There's no way the birds don't draft a QB next year.

Rotoworld:

The Cardinals plan to get Logan Thomas "a ton of reps" this offseason.

"He's going to get a ton of work," Bruce Arians said. "We drafted him for two years from now, not November." The Cardinals need to find out what they have in Thomas, who should open the season behind injury-prone QBs Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. He struggled on limited snaps in 2014, and was passed over for Ryan Lindley in two late-season starts.

Thomas won't prevent the Cardinals from drafting a long-term answer at quarterback.

Source: azcardinals.com
Mar 27 - 8:07 PM
Thought Arians' support of Thomas was coachspeak, but the Cardinals didn't draft a QB.

Rotoworld:

Logan Thomas - QB - Cardinals

Bruce Arians says the competition for the Cardinals' No. 3 quarterback job is "wide open."

It doesn't speak well to 2014 fourth-rounder Logan Thomas' development. His "wide-open" competition is with journeyman Chandler Harnish and undrafted rookie Phillip Sims. The Cardinals needed Thomas to step up in the worst way last season, but he completely bombed in practice. If he doesn't run away with No. 3 duties this summer, his future will be looking grim.

Related: Chandler Harnish, Phillip Sims

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter
May 19 - 1:42 PM

Rotoworld:

Bruce Arians says the competition for the Cardinals' No. 3 quarterback job is "wide open."

It doesn't speak well to 2014 fourth-rounder Logan Thomas' development. His "wide-open" competition is with journeyman Chandler Harnish and undrafted rookie Phillip Sims. The Cardinals needed Thomas to step up in the worst way last season, but he completely bombed in practice. If he doesn't run away with No. 3 duties this summer, his future will be looking grim.

It's coachspeak - he wants Thomas to be Palmer's replacement in the worst way.

cstu said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

And i want to marry jennifer aniston.

cstu said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

And i want to marry jennifer aniston.
:lol:

Rotoworld:

According to FOX Sports Arizona's Mike Jurecki, Cardinals second-year QB Logan Thomas "hasn't made progress the coaching staff expected."

The 120th pick in last year's draft, Thomas was passed over by the coaches in favor of street free agent pickup Ryan Lindley as a rookie. Now, Thomas is being pushed for a roster spot by Chandler Harnish and UDFA Phillip Sims. If Thomas doesn't pick it up, he's going to get cut in September. If so, giving tight end a try wouldn't be a bad idea. Thomas is 6-foot-6, 248 with 4.61 speed, a 35 1/2-inch vertical, and a 9-foot-10 broad jump.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Jun 5 - 9:15 PM

^ Shocking news.

Anybody recall Greg Cossel saying that Logan Thomas was more pro-ready than Cam Newton was.

I remember some clown spouting off about him. I just laughed. People still don't get that playing in college is nothing like playing in the pros.

I remember some clown spouting off about him. I just laughed. People still don't get that playing in college is nothing like playing in the pros.
To be fair, there is a skill set scouts look for and Thomas has some of it. Obviously he was completely lost as a rookie but I can see why there would be excitement over a tall guy with a big arm and good mobility.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians said second-year QB Logan Thomas is "still a work in progress."

"He still makes those wild throws and you scratch your head sometimes," Arians said. The offseason reports haven't been glowing for Thomas, who was an erratic mess at Virginia Tech. The Cardinals seemed to be the perfect landing spot for him with Arians, but quarterback guru hasn't been able to get much out of him. If Thomas can't flip the switch in Arizona, we doubt he can elsewhere.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter
Jun 9 - 3:11 PM

To be fair, there is a skill set scouts look for and Thomas has some of it. Obviously he was completely lost as a rookie but I can see why there would be excitement over a tall guy with a big arm and good mobility.
Couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

D.J. Humphries overcomes slow start to offseason workouts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/14570/d-j-humphries-overcomes-slow-start-to-offseason-workouts

Excerpt:

Logan Thomas may not be a Cardinal next season: There's such a thing as tough love. And there's such a thing as a coach having seen enough. From what I've seen of Thomas during OTAs and minicamp, I think Arians has had enough. Thomas barely played in the final OTA -- although Arians said it was because he practiced a lot the day before. But during minicamp, Thomas' place in the quarterback rotation kept fluctuating. If he was the solid third-string quarterback, he'd have been taking reps right after Drew Stanton every time. To cap it off, Thomas was quickly replaced during Wednesday's OTA when offensive linemen jumped offsides. It looked like a miscommunication but Arians didn't want to see anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
(USA Today) Arizona Cardinals QB Logan Thomas could be cut as it appears head coach Bruce Arians has seen enough, in the opinion of ESPN.com's Josh Weinfuss. During minicamp, Thomas' place in the quarterback rotation kept fluctuating. Thomas barely played in the final OTA - although Arians said it was because he practiced a lot the day before.

Been a big fan of qb-to-wr conversions since Freddy Solomon - matter-of-fact, my 1st hot take in sports forums was pronouncing Ronald Curry a future HOFer, so normally i'd be quite excited about a qb with te size making that switch, but everything i've heard about Thomas is that he's about as smart & coachable as Gronk's belt buckle. No thx -

It's worth a shot putting him on my bench. Even if he doesn't workout I plan on drafting one the TEs in next year's draft.

Tex

The Buffalo News reports converted QB Logan Thomas has been performing "consistently well" at tight end.

Thomas has been practicing with the third team, but "drawing attention for running good routes and catching the ball well." Reporter Vic Carucci believes Thomas "isn't too far behind" Charles Clay and Nick O'Leary. Still only 26, Thomas made the switch last fall. He finished 2016 on the Bills' 53-man roster after being plucked off the Lions' practice squad.

Source: Buffalo News

Aug 1 - 2:16 PM

Speaking Tuesday, Redskins coach Ron Rivera said TEs coach Pete Hoener is "really excited" about free agent addition TE Logan Thomas. 

Hoener praised Thomas' "smarts, savvy and athletic ability." He also claimed Thomas is "still learning to play the position," but the reality is, Thomas converted from quarterback in late 2016. This was not a recent move. Going on 29, Thomas is highly unlikely to have a late-career breakout, though he is coming off a personal best line of 16/173/1. 

SOURCE: Kyle Stackpole on Twitter 

Apr 7, 2020, 2:26 PM ET

I'm not saying we're looking at the next Waller here or anything (and his issues were substance abuse related on top of learning a new but related position, obviously), but if there's one position that is known for random late-career breakouts it's TE. It's not impossible, so worth keeping an eye on in off-season bidding where he'll be free like Waller was early on. 

The thing is this: if they don't trade down and they just take Young at #2 like predicted, Washington doesn't pick again until the 3rd round #66. This is a pretty weak TE class and the few intriguing guys like Trautman and Kmet could very well go in the 2nd due to the dearth of talent. Meaning a TE is unlikely to be the BPA for WAS at any point before the 4th-6th rounds.

The new staff brought Thomas in. The incumbent now that Reed and VD are gone is Sprinkle, who sucks out loud. Hentges is a guy with potential who they stole from the Colts last season to the slight dismay of some Colts fans, but he's really shown very little so far. 

The TE position is important in the Turner offense and they will give anyone the chance to win the starting spot, that's Rivera's whole thing. If they don't trade for someone like Njoku (unlikely) or Everett (slightly less unlikely imo but still unlikely), it will probably just be Thomas and a bunch of camp body types.

All that to say that this could be a weird situation where opportunity is enough to get a guy who has flashed startable targets. 

I'm not saying we're looking at the next Waller here or anything (and his issues were substance abuse related on top of learning a new but related position, obviously), but if there's one position that is known for random late-career breakouts it's TE. It's not impossible, so worth keeping an eye on in off-season bidding where he'll be free like Waller was early on. 

The thing is this: if they don't trade down and they just take Young at #2 like predicted, Washington doesn't pick again until the 3rd round #66. This is a pretty weak TE class and the few intriguing guys like Trautman and Kmet could very well go in the 2nd due to the dearth of talent. Meaning a TE is unlikely to be the BPA for WAS at any point before the 4th-6th rounds.

The new staff brought Thomas in. The incumbent now that Reed and VD are gone is Sprinkle, who sucks out loud. Hentges is a guy with potential who they stole from the Colts last season to the slight dismay of some Colts fans, but he's really shown very little so far. 

The TE position is important in the Turner offense and they will give anyone the chance to win the starting spot, that's Rivera's whole thing. If they don't trade for someone like Njoku (unlikely) or Everett (slightly less unlikely imo but still unlikely), it will probably just be Thomas and a bunch of camp body types.

All that to say that this could be a weird situation where opportunity is enough to get a guy who has flashed startable targets. 
I agree completely. Thomas has always had potential at TE but never the opportunity and he has a real chance here. In dynasty I'd be pretty interested if he wasn't already getting on a bit in age but I like him as a deeper league or TE premium sleeper at least for this season.

So they missed out on Hurst and signed Thomas? I'll pass, they'll draft their TE of the future.

Tex

Yeah.......

Tex
I laid out the reasons why that's unlikely to happen in this draft, but it's possible a 4th-6th round type outperforms expectations out the gate. That hit rate is low even in strong TE classes where more talented guys get pushed down...this TE class is weak.

One thing I don't like is I read an article with the OC or someone praising Thomas and the first thing he mentioned was how he likes blocking 🙄

I laid out the reasons why that's unlikely to happen in this draft, but it's possible a 4th-6th round type outperforms expectations out the gate. That hit rate is low even in strong TE classes where more talented guys get pushed down...this TE class is weak.
I'm not disagreeing, this is not a strong class  but there are a few guys who are underrated this year. Now 2021 is absolutely 100% loaded like a Beowulf AR-15 and make no mistake about it I'll be grabbing one of those guys.

Tex

One thing I don't like is I read an article with the OC or someone praising Thomas and the first thing he mentioned was how he likes blocking 🙄
That's good news imo bc it means they can have him on the field as the #1 if necessary, without it giving away run/pass or being a liability. I don't take it as a sign that he's a "blocking TE" but that he's not lazy/ineffective there like Reed and VD were, and they like that.

Again, if they can't get anyone else this offseason who is clearly better. And it's looking like that might be difficult.

It's a long shot but one that's worth $1 in blind bidding this summer, imo.

Rivera on Thomas today:

On the tight end position:

“Well I think there’s a lot to explore. It’s one of those things that in the system you love to have a guy with Greg Olsen type of ability, who is a primary ball catcher, a guy that goes out and finds the hole, finds the crease, can separate when the ball is in the air at the right time, and that’s one of the things that Greg Olsen did very, very well for us. You know Logan Thomas is a guy that we see some glimpses of that type of athletic ability. Pete Hoener our tight end coach felt very strongly about this guy’s abilities, mostly because he thought he was a very smart and savvy football player, he’s a tremendous athlete. And he’s just learning and getting the position right now. Remember he is a converted quarterback, a guy that has a skillset that is a little unique because of his understanding of the way offenses work.

ConnSKINS26 said:

Dont forget Caleb Wilson.  As a UCLA alum he's better than asiasi who is rising up boards.  I think the 4th or 5th round is a spot to take a TE.  4th you're looking at Hunter Bryant or  Harrison Bryant.  5th you're looking at Thaddeus Moss or Devin Asiasi or Parkensan

Dont forget Caleb Wilson.  As a UCLA alum he's better than asiasi who is rising up boards.  I think the 4th or 5th round is a spot to take a TE.  4th you're looking at Hunter Bryant or  Harrison Bryant.  5th you're looking at Thaddeus Moss or Devin Asiasi or Parkensan
I think in an ideal world you're right about the draft range on all those guys, and think they're all interesting if flawed prospects. It's possible imo that they rise higher than expected due to how bad this class is. Not into the 2nd round but desperate teams may overdraft a couple of these guys. I'd prefer Moreau to all of them I think, for instance, to point out a similarly pedigreed guy from last year. But he fell there in a better TE class so prob not fair. 

Wilson is a guy who's intriguing as well, you're right. I haven't heard a whiff about him from the coaches or people who follow the team, but they liked him enough to sign him to a futures deal so he's in the mix, and that's all it might take to emerge in this group, is a chance to show out more than the rest.

I think in an ideal world you're right about the draft range on all those guys, and think they're all interesting if flawed prospects. It's possible imo that they rise higher than expected due to how bad this class is. Not into the 2nd round but desperate teams may overdraft a couple of these guys. I'd prefer Moreau to all of them I think, for instance, to point out a similarly pedigreed guy from last year. But he fell there in a better TE class so prob not fair. 

Wilson is a guy who's intriguing as well, you're right. I haven't heard a whiff about him from the coaches or people who follow the team, but they liked him enough to sign him to a futures deal so he's in the mix, and that's all it might take to emerge in this group, is a chance to show out more than the rest.
I'd be surprised if they done take a TE with one of their 4 picks in rounds 3-5.  OT is a little deeper they can wait on that one if they see a receiver like Chase Claypool there at 3.2, also wouldnt be surprised if they package 3.2 with a 21' second to try and move up for. OT Isaiah Wilson or Lucas Niang.

I'd be surprised if they done take a TE with one of their 4 picks in rounds 3-5.  OT is a little deeper they can wait on that one if they see a receiver like Chase Claypool there at 3.2, also wouldnt be surprised if they package 3.2 with a 21' second to try and move up for. OT Isaiah Wilson or Lucas Niang.
They hate not having their current 2nd...highly unlikely that they throw away a future one when a good player at a position of need (WR, OL, CB) should fall to 66 naturally. Who knows though.

And I don't think Claypool profiles as a TE now that we know what he's working with, teams will try him outside first in most cases imo

Users who are viewing this thread