What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Juwan Johnson, NO (2 Viewers)

Juwan Johnson caught 4-of-6 targets for 67 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 15 win over the Falcons.​

Active for the first time since Week 12, Johnson had his second two-score game of the season. The 67 yards receiving were also a new season high. Touchdown No. 1 was a 19-yarder where Johnson went all out for the goal line. No. 2 was a 22-yarder where Johnson escaped a jam at the line of scrimmage before bouncing off a would-be tackler or two. Up to seven touchdowns, Johnson is emerging as something of a red zone weapon, but the volume still isn't quite where fantasy managers need it to be in this conservative offense. Johnson will be a high-end TE2 for Week 16 against the Browns.
Dec 18, 2022, 5:49 PM ET

Saints signed TE Juwan Johnson to a two-year contract.​

The announcement was made by Johnson's agent, AJ Vaynerchuk, on Twitter. The deal, the details of which have to be announced, will tie Johnson to the Saints for the 2023 and 2024 seasons, during which he'll catch passes from recent free agent addition Derek Carr. The fourth-year tight end set career highs in 2022 with 42 receptions, 508 yards, and seven touchdowns in 12 starts.
Mar 11, 2023, 3:28 PM ET

Pretty interested in this guy in two-TE leagues, with the new QB and contract. It looked to me that they were running a few plays for him over the second half of last year. And while $8.5 million guaranteed isn't anything spectacular, I think it indicates that they plan on him having a meaningful role.

One of the best $1 FAAB I’ve ever spent.

Looking forward to his production increase with Carr under center.

in a world devoid of quality FF TE’s, JuJo is a fun player to roster.
Got him in the 18th round of a Best Ball PPR SF Start Up draft last month. After TEs like Bellinger, Everett, Smith Jr, just felt he was a steal there. And Carr I only see a positive for his 2023 outlook.

I've had him rostered in my salary cap league for 2 seasons at $1. No one knew who he was when I nominated him. He out-scored Dallas Goedert last season.

I've had him rostered in my salary cap league for 2 seasons at $1. No one knew who he was when I nominated him. He out-scored Dallas Goedert last season.
Everyone was all :wub: over Troutman, who I’m not sure is ever going to be a thing.

No one knew who he was when I nominated him
Back in 2021 I went to draft him in an FFPC BB tournament and he was not to be found. I requested he was added and this contest was about to close so I drafted him on a few teams knowing that once the contest sold out I'd have a rare player in a national contest that possibly no one else would have or be able to add.

All a good theory but afraid I was a year to early, he did next to nothing in 2021.

No one knew who he was when I nominated him
Back in 2021 I went to draft him in an FFPC BB tournament and he was not to be found. I requested he was added and this contest was about to close so I drafted him on a few teams knowing that once the contest sold out I'd have a rare player in a national contest that possibly no one else would have or be able to add.

All a good theory but afraid I was a year to early, he did next to nothing in 2021.
Fortunately I held onto him after '21, but that was more because I forgot to cut him :oldunsure: Better to be lucky than good sometimes, right? :lol:

What are people's thoughts on Juwan Johnson for '23? He finished TE7 overall and TE11 ppg in my standard scoring league last season, over Kmet, Freiermuth, and Schultz. And that was with Winston and Dalton at QB. Now he'll have Derek Carr at QB who helped Waller put up some pretty good numbers.

What are people's thoughts on Juwan Johnson for '23? He finished TE7 overall and TE11 ppg in my standard scoring league last season, over Kmet, Freiermuth, and Schultz. And that was with Winston and Dalton at QB. Now he'll have Derek Carr at QB who helped Waller put up some pretty good numbers.
Sell high IMO

Olave/Mike Thomas/Shaheed (who I really like personally)/any added competition at WR and/or TE

I'd be very surprised barring many injuries if he's a TE1 again

Sell high IMO

Olave/Mike Thomas/Shaheed (who I really like personally)/any added competition at WR and/or TE

Maybe, although he'll still just be 26 at the beginning of the season (turns 27 in Sept) and is entering his 4th NFL season, which is about where young TEs start to break out. Its possible '22 was his ceiling but I see his QB situation as a clear upgrade.

As for Thomas, he hasn't had a good season since '19 and will 30 years old coming off injuries.

Mike Triplett @MikeTriplett

Highlights from the Saints’ new-look QB trio on the first day of OTAs. An early connection between Derek Carr and Juwan Johnson — and Foster Moreau diving right in with his new team on a big day for the entire TE group.

TE Juwan Johnson said he asked Saints to put together film of Julian Edelman, which he’s been watching a lot recently because “I know the type of role I’ll be doing and (Derek Carr) loves those routes." Said Edelman is "one of the best at those choice routes, short-game routes.”

Sell high IMO

You're right about the added competition at WR, but the Saints (since your post) traded former starter Adam Trautman and have signed TE Foster Moreau for more rushing-downs work. As far as the TE position in New Orleans is concerned, the runway is clear for Johnson.

I'd call him a virtual lock to be a starting-quality fantasy TE in 2023. Having said that ... Johnson's not going to be on that Kelce/Kittle tier where much of the real-life passing game is funneling through them. There's just too many mouths to feed in New Orleans -- Johnson, much like 2022, will be boom-or-bust. He'll disappear some games, and bring in two TDs in other games. His aggregate 2023 stats will look nice, though ... you just have to understand what you're getting.

How are people feeling about him this year? He finished top 10 in standard scoring last year, how much can he improve on last year's 508/7? I see him ranked (std. scoring) in the TE 17/18 range and I think he can out-perform that.

ESPN’s Katherine Terrell reports Juwan Johnson has been one of Derek Carr’s “most reliable targets.”
Johnson’s connection with Carr was evident in the team’s preseason game against the Chiefs, when Johnson caught both of his targets for 29 yards while running with the Saints’ first team. “I think he’s developed a nice little rapport with Derek,” Saints head coach Dennis Allen said. “He seems to be where Derek wants him, when he wants him there. When you do that, you kind of get rewarded and the ball comes your way.” Carr has reportedly targeted Johnson “heavily” in 11-on-11 drills during training camp. Johnson probably won’t run a full complement of pass routes but he profiles as a lethal red zone weapon who could get by on touchdown production in 2023. He caught seven touchdowns on 42 receptions last year.

ESPN’s Katherine Terrell reports Juwan Johnson has been one of Derek Carr’s “most reliable targets.”
Johnson’s connection with Carr was evident in the team’s preseason game against the Chiefs, when Johnson caught both of his targets for 29 yards while running with the Saints’ first team. “I think he’s developed a nice little rapport with Derek,” Saints head coach Dennis Allen said. “He seems to be where Derek wants him, when he wants him there. When you do that, you kind of get rewarded and the ball comes your way.” Carr has reportedly targeted Johnson “heavily” in 11-on-11 drills during training camp. Johnson probably won’t run a full complement of pass routes but he profiles as a lethal red zone weapon who could get by on touchdown production in 2023. He caught seven touchdowns on 42 receptions last year.
I love this kid. I hope he has a top 6 TE FF season.

I think he kills it with Carr this year; Carr loved Waller back in Oakland and I can kind of see the same thing here. I am very bullish on him; if you don't get Kelce, Andrews, Waller those type of guys at the top, him, Ferguson, Laporta, Musgrave, Muth, Njoku are great late round TEs

I think he kills it with Carr this year; Carr loved Waller back in Oakland and I can kind of see the same thing here. I am very bullish on him; if you don't get Kelce, Andrews, Waller those type of guys at the top, him, Ferguson, Laporta, Musgrave, Muth, Njoku are great late round TEs
In my local redraft Sunday i landed Chig, then backed him up with JuJohn in the 24/27th round.

Once I missed ‘Muth that was the plan.

In my local redraft Sunday i landed Chig, then backed him up with JuJohn in the 24/27th round.

Exact same

Exact same
Play the matchups baby. Week 1 looks good for JuJohn - 29th against TE

Chig gets #1

Managed to land him as my TE3 (Hock & Dulcich) in a recent dynasty startup and even though it's not TEP, I've got no issues using him as a flex once byes and injuries hit.

Saw a media clip from the Saints recent trip to LAC and it was about a conversation between Derek Carr and his brother David, and David asked for any fantasy tips. Derek said "draft Juwan, gonna be a TD machine" in so many words (fwiw).

Agree with this list, along with Kincaid.

Kittle has Deebo/Aiyuk/CMC to contend with. That is tougher comp than Olave/Thomas/Kamara. Thomas has not been a thing since Trump was grifting the American people directly from the Oval Office.

If you are downgrading Johnson for his target comp, Kittle probably needs to be dropped on your board as well.

Juwan had 7 tds over the final 10 games last year. In a better offense with MT drawing attention, double digit scores seems within range this year. Most top ten TEs are touchdown dependent and at least on paper Juwan has the size and situation to rack them up.

Juwan had 7 tds over the final 10 games last year. In a better offense with MT drawing attention, double digit scores seems within range this year. Most top ten TEs are touchdown dependent and at least on paper Juwan has the size and situation to rack them up.
Wait, what defense is doubling MT in the year 2023?

Wait, what defense is doubling MT in the year 2023?

I didn't say double, but he scored three times in two games last year so it might be a good idea. If he's on the field I don't think defensive coordinators will just make a crack about how he's always injured and ignore him. Maybe I'm wrong.

Juwan is the only TE i rostered in my 1 league. I'm confident he'll score a lot of TD's. I'm hoping for 68-750-9 from him this year. That should make him close to a top 5 TE this season

Juwan Johnson caught three passes for 36 yards in a Week 1 win over the Titans.

Johnson was targeted five times on the day and had another catch overturned after replay review. The tight end also tied Michael Thomas for the team led in targets in the first half, but saw zero targets in the second half. Unfortunately for him, that was also when the Saints offense started to move the ball by focusing more on Chris Olave and Rashid Shaheed. Johnson was far more involved than Taysom Hill, but Hill also got a red zone target, so there remain plenty of red flags for Johnson ahead of next week’s game against Carolina.

- Rotoworld

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said Juwan Johnson (calf) should be available for Week 8 against the Colts.
Johnson has missed the past couple games after sustaining a calf injury in pregame warmups in Week 5. His absence has opened up a more traditional tight end role for Taysom Hill, who has 11 caches on 13 targets over the Saints’ past two outings. Johnson was running a route on 68 percent of the team’s drop backs before his injury while Hill had a 24 percent route rate. Hill should maintain some (volatile) fantasy appeal with his rushing role near the goal line. Hill’s targets will probably dry up though.

I've missed on quite a few guys this year and JJ is one of them, had him in 4 out of 6 leagues, thought he'd be a 60 + catch, 6-8 TD guy this year with Carr, but he's invisible even when not injured. Tough year, but that's why God invented rum I guess.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Saints TE Juwan Johnson (thigh) is expected to play in Week 14 against the Panthers.

Johnson has played the majority of the Saints’ snaps at tight end this year but has done little with the role. He has one game over 50 yards and a single touchdown. Taysom Hill’s likely absence will give him more opportunities to find the end zone, though it won’t affect his snaps or targets much as Hill doesn’t play anything resembling a traditional tight end role. Johnson is on the radar as a touchdown-dependant TE2 for Week 14 but nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread