What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Albert Okweugbunam, DEN (1 Viewer)

Depending on who else they add he could be a potential, nice #2 TE...he is 6'5" 258, pretty athletic (ran a 4.49) and will only be 24 in April...he lost some value when he did not make a good jump in his last year at Missouri but prior to that he was pretty well regarded...definitely worth a roster spot if you have room for him now that Fant is gone and Wilson is onboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did Russell utilize TEs all that much in Seattle?  I remember how they traded for Jimmy Graham whose numbers took a huge tumble when he landed in Seattle.

The four previous seasons his reception numbers were:

The three years in Seattle:

They drafted Jeremy Stevens in the 1st round, and he never had big numbers.  Same with the other big name TEs in Seattle, Zach Miller and Luke Willson. 

Tight end was never utilized in Seattle even when they had one of the best in Jimmy Graham.  Not sure if it was a Russell Wilson thing or a scheme thing but RWs TE history is not good.

Seattle never had a good tight end. Graham was already washed up in the knees when he went there. They just never concentrated on the position. It was to help their chronically weak OL to block, for the most part. 

Will it be different in Denver with those other pass catchers in the mix? Who knows, really? But determining his Denver performance based on Seattle is a fool's errand. 

Tight end was never utilized in Seattle even when they had one of the best in Jimmy Graham.  Not sure if it was a Russell Wilson thing or a scheme thing but RWs TE history is not good.
Jimmy Graham wasn't the same at that point. He was a solid vet TE but not someone who was going to command serious targets. I remember hoping for more from JG and saw I was wrong about him.

Seattle never had an elite TE such that this question can be truly answered. I don't think Albert O is necessarily that guy either, but I don't think I can say Wilson doesn't like TEs. 

Seattle never had a good tight end. Graham was already washed up in the knees when he went there. They just never concentrated on the position. It was to help their chronically weak OL to block, for the most part. 

Will it be different in Denver with those other pass catchers in the mix? Who knows, really? But determining his Denver performance based on Seattle is a fool's errand. 
Jinx. Mindmeld in progress.

What is equally relevant is how Hackett and Outten utilized a similarly-talented group of TE's last year in Green Bay (Tonyan, Lewis, etc).

72/732/4

Are there any FAs out there that would be a threat to Albert O? Everett? Ha. Don't know what Broncos $ situation will be after they get Wilson figured out so maybe they draft one. But hard to believe a rookie would take the job from Albert. In 2022 anyway.

He seems poised to be the clear number 1 in Denver. If TE isn't going to be featured there due to scheme or Wilson or both well then poop. Guess you could do worse. Still puts him in a very relevant tier. 

Average Draft Position and Average Auction Value are my metrics. 

The current ADP and AAV values for Albert Okwuegbunam are very low right now; however, it is inevitable that they will rise the closer that we get towards the start of the fantasy football season.

If I can secure Albert Okwuegbunam at reasonable valuations then he will be on my fantasy football teams and if he goes for unreasonable valuations, then I will pass on him.

Average Draft Position and Average Auction Value are my metrics. 

The current ADP and AAV values for Albert Okwuegbunam are very low right now; however, it is inevitable that they will rise the closer that we get towards the start of the fantasy football season.

If I can secure Albert Okwuegbunam at reasonable valuations then he will be on my fantasy football teams and if he goes for unreasonable valuations, then I will pass on him.
Wait!   You posted without a link!   Isn’t that some kind of Forum foul?

NBC Sports EDGE Football@NBCSEdgeFB

Broncos head coach: Albert O to be hybrid TE/WR

Zac Stevens@ZacStevensDNVR

Albert Okwuegbunam is going to be more of a “move tight end” and a hybrid receiver/tight end, according to Nathaniel Hackett. “Excited to get the ball in his hands”

-----------------------------------------------------

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM TE, DENVER BRONCOS

9News' Mike Klis believes Albert Okwuegbunam and rookie Greg Dulcich will compete for the Broncos' starting tight end job in training camp.

In a rare move, the Broncos had Dulcich -- taken with the 80th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft -- taking first-team reps during OTAs and minicamp this spring. Dulcich's fast track into the Denver offense slowed a bit when he suffered a core muscle injury -- one that should be healed in time for training camp. Klis called Dulcich, 22, the more "natural receiver" of the Broncos tight ends. Over his final two seasons at UCLA, Dulcich recorded a 31 percent yardage share and a 26 percent touchdown share, proving dominant and operating as a true downfield weapon with a 13.4 average depth of target. Okwuegbunam, meanwhile, finished the 2021 seasons with 33 receptions on 40 targets for 330 yards and two touchdowns mostly running as the team's No. 2 tight end. "It could be that Okwuegbunam is the No. 1 tight end early in the season but Dulcich takes over about midseason," Klis said. "But that’s just speculation based on the early work the Broncos gave Dulcich with the No. 1 offense this offseason. Come the regular season, performance will dictate playing time." Both Denver tight ends are intriguing later-round picks. If Okwuegbunam and Dulcich split pass-catching duties, it could be frustrating for fantasy purposes. 

RELATED: 

Greg Dulcich

SOURCE: 9news.com 

Jul 19, 2022, 8:58 AM ET

I'm not surprised its a competition, Dulcich is a better prospect, and was taken by this staff, not the previous one. 

I'm not surprised its a competition, Dulcich is a better prospect, and was taken by this staff, not the previous one. 
I agree but most rookie TEs struggle so I’d prefer Albert O as far as redraft leagues go. Dynasty of course leans heavily in Dulcich’s favor.

This staff also had enough confidence in Albert O's development to trade Noah Fant...with no guarantee whatsoever they could land Dulcich in the draft.

This staff also had enough confidence in Albert O's development to trade Noah Fant...with no guarantee whatsoever they could land Dulcich in the draft.
Noah Fant was part of the deal to get Russell Wilson. I'm not sure him being traded had anything to do with what they think of Albert O. You aren't letting a mediocre starting TE be the holdup from trading for a franchise QB

Broncos head Coach Nathaniel Hackett says they're putting Albert Okwuegbunam "all over the place" in the offense.

With the recent news of Tim Patrick's season ending on a torn ACL, the Broncos are looking to replace that production. Coach Hackett says they've been using Albert O "from motioning, playing wide, playing ‘F’ and doing all kinds of different things.” “That’s definitely been something we’ve wanted to work on,” Hackett added. Many have Okwuegbunam as a sleeper tight end option, and these comments by Hackett suggest Okwuegbunam is separating himself from rookie Greg Dulcich. He looks like a value in the 13th round of Yahoo drafts.
SOURCE: Denver Fan
Aug 9, 2022, 10:00 PM ET

I was initially worried about Albert going into mock drafts because there was no guarantee he'd even be 3rd on the passing pecking chart. With the unfortunately injury to Patrick, to me no way KJ Hamler beats him out for 3rd and with his talent, he could be able to push either Jeudy or Sutton for 2nd. One of my favorite "north of 160 ADP" TEs to target.

I was initially worried about Albert going into mock drafts because there was no guarantee he'd even be 3rd on the passing pecking chart. With the unfortunately injury to Patrick, to me no way KJ Hamler beats him out for 3rd and with his talent, he could be able to push either Jeudy or Sutton for 2nd. One of my favorite "north of 160 ADP" TEs to target.
Agreed. I've got him as TE11 right now, ahead of guys like Henry or Freiermuth.

Agreed. I've got him as TE11 right now, ahead of guys like Henry or Freiermuth.
Who is this Henry Freiermuth you speak of?

Middle of round 2 of a 2 round dynasty rookie draft. I have no needs. Albert O is available. Do you gamble on him over rookies like Pickett (have Mahomes and Hurts), Bell, Robinson, or Allgeier? Have to drop RoJo. Also have Kelce, Goedart, and Kmet for TE, but could move Goedart.

Explaining his decision to play Albert Okwuegbunam into the fourth quarter of Saturday's preseason game, Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett said the tight end "needs the reps."​

“Our tight ends are playing really well, the five guys we have playing, so we want to get a good look at all of them," Hackett claimed. “There are guys who played a little more football than others. Albert is a guy who needs the reps.” Left unsaid is that it's a bad sign Okwuegbunam is one of the players who "needs the reps." Of course, rookie Greg Dulcich is currently missing time with a hamstring issue. Perhaps Hackett really is just trying to get a potential starter up to speed, but he is looking a lot shakier as a late-round flier today than he was yesterday.
SOURCE: Denver Post
Aug 21, 2022, 10:57 AM ET

Say it s-l-o-w-l-y...

Greg Dulcich

Yeah, no. This is as bad as your Trump takes.

Saw it s-l-o-w-l-y
My Trump takes? LMFAO.

I realize Dulcich is injured, Slick. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that. What I'm obviously trying to get across is he's going to take O's job. For clarity (& due to the injury), I'll say most certainly by the end of this season (barring another injury).

End of story.

Last edited:
Say it s-l-o-w-l-y...

Greg Dulcich
He has a nice story, walk-on at UCLA that earned a scholarship, had a breakout year, and got drafted in the 3rd round. I would say he's a slightly better prospect compared to another UCLA TE Devin Asiasi who has been low on the Pats depth chart for a couple years now. I saw some scouting reports that compared him to Jared Cook but JC was much faster. Noah Fant is also faster. I like the potential here although it may take beyond this season to find it.

Say it s-l-o-w-l-y...

Greg Dulcich

Saw it s-l-o-w-l-y
My Trump takes? LMFAO.

I realize Dulcich is injured, Slick. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that. What I'm obviously trying to get across is he's going to take O's job. For clarity (& due to the injury), I'll say most certainly by the end of this season (barring another injury).

End of story.
Doubtful.

Eric Saubert will also factor into the mix. Better blocker than both AO and Dulcich and great early chemistry w/ Wilson.

It will be TEBC even after Dulcich returns.

Last edited:
Say it s-l-o-w-l-y...

Greg Dulcich

Saw it s-l-o-w-l-y
My Trump takes? LMFAO.

End of story.
Doubtful.

Eric Saubert will also factor into the mix. Better blocker than both AO and Dulcich and great early chemistry w/ Wilson.

It will be TEBC even after Dulcich returns.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a TEBC for awhile. Makes sense. This is an absolute no-brainer long-term, though (& by long-term I mean by the end of this season provided Dulcich gets & stays healthy).

Dulcich will be their undisputed starter in ‘23 unless he gets drafted over which is very unlikely given he’s a day-2 pick & they’re sky-high on him.

I posted this in a more general TE thread:

I just read a brief take by Ben Gretch on Albert O "playing into the 4th quarter" which syncs with my own thoughts - that the coach was shooting straight when he said that AO simply needed more reps.

The comment that was noteworthy to me was that many of AO's reps were with him splitting out wide. That combined with losing Tim Patrick keeps AO safely nestled on my bench for several weeks to see what his role will be.

I am not clear if I am allowed to post the link or not? If so, let me know and I will post it.

Broncos TE Albert Okwuegbunam (lower body) expects to be ready for Week 1.​

The third-year tight end was held out of the Broncos' preseason finale and missed practice last week. This doesn’t look like anything that will hold him out long. Okwuegbunam said he "could have played" had it been a regular-season game. The Broncos' No. 1 tight end should see a full workload in Monday night's opener with Seattle.
SOURCE: Denver Post
Sep 4, 2022, 10:11 AM ET

Albert Okwuegbunam caught 5-of-6 targets for 33 yards in the Broncos' Week 1 loss to the Seahawks.​

It looked like Albert O was going to be in for a quiet night when all three of Andrew Beck, Eric Tomlinson, and Eric Saubert saw the field before him in the first quarter, but the Broncos made use of all four tight ends. Albert O's six looks were fourth on the team and he had a couple end-zone looks, getting tackled at the half-yard line on one of those catches right at the plane. Okwuegbunam isn't going to be an every-snap player, but he remains the favorite for targets among Denver's tight ends and plays in passing situations. The upside is still there ahead of a Week 2 date with the Texans.
Sep 13, 2022, 12:02 AM ET

Wasn't good. Wasn't terrible. 16th TE for my league this week. 6 waiver wire TEs ahead of him.

The more concerning thing is the 3 TE sets to go with already having Jeudy, Sutton and Hamlet with Williams out of the backfield. Too many mouths. No way to predict consistency.

Wasn't good. Wasn't terrible. 16th TE for my league this week. 6 waiver wire TEs ahead of him.

The more concerning thing is the 3 TE sets to go with already having Jeudy, Sutton and Hamlet with Williams out of the backfield. Too many mouths. No way to predict consistency.
Yeah, I saw two other TEs targeted in the end zone with that shuttle pass going to possibly another TE not wearing # 85.

Users who are viewing this thread