What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tajae Sharpe WR Titans (2 Viewers)

What some his upside? WR3? No thanks. You'll never feel good about starting him after he has 3 games in a row with 2-3 targets. I'll grab a TE flyer or back up RB in a good situation. 
What other mouths do you think they will feed? He is surrounded by mediocre talent and an old man who lost it. There is a decent TE but that's about it. He has momentum in his favor right now and has become the starter immediately. Nobody expected that to happen but it has. I'm not saying I'm optimistic but to say that WR3 is his ceiling in an offense where he may get the most targets is just not right.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's his upside? WR3? No thanks. You'll never feel good about starting him after he has 3 games in a row with 2-3 targets. I'll grab a TE flyer or back up RB in a good situation. 
I think his upside is low WR2.  He is near free to acquire and I think has more upside than any TE flier or handcuff RB to be had in the late rounds of the draft.  If he doesn't look like he is getting targets in the first couple weeks, drop him for the WW flavor of the week.  If he pans out you get a WR3/Flex or at worst a Bye/injury filler guy.  I don't see the down side.  He's on my list of late round flier guys like Dorsett, pryor, Benjamin.

expectations ... 45 catches maybe? 

#1 target is Walker

#2 targets will be Andre/Mathews/Wright/Sharpe and in that cluster

Of course, I think they'll run it hard hard hard with Mathews and Henry and not pass a great amount like a Brady or Brees and also, Mariota can run.

WR 3 I'd draft him as  - not an every week start 

expectations ... 45 catches maybe? 

#1 target is Walker

#2 targets will be Andre/Mathews/Wright/Sharpe and in that cluster

Of course, I think they'll run it hard hard hard with Mathews and Henry and not pass a great amount like a Brady or Brees and also, Mariota can run.

WR 3 I'd draft him as  - not an every week start 
70-80 catches 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd set the over/under for Sharpe catches at 50, they want to run the ball and Wright will get targets as well. 

Sharpe is a nice player, but not one I'm particularly excited about this year for FF.

What's his upside? WR3? No thanks. You'll never feel good about starting him after he has 3 games in a row with 2-3 targets. I'll grab a TE flyer or back up RB in a good situation. 
Yeah, who wants a possible flex starter in the 14th round when you can grab some flier backup TE?

I'd set the over/under for Sharpe catches at 50, they want to run the ball and Wright will get targets as well. 

Sharpe is a nice player, but not one I'm particularly excited about this year for FF.
Mularkey's offense has never produced a good slot WR neither has Robiske's. Craig Stevens retiring could very well make this the first, but that's 20-30 years going against Wright having a nice season. Best was 350ish yards 

He's only practiced three times this summer.

In their scrimmage and OTAs they were looking for big plays from the slot which is a bit unusual. They made some plays for him to react this way or that way based on the D and the end result was almost always going deep. I think with Walker around, they're looking at him as the safety valve 3rd down chain mover in the middle while Wright is for home-runs. That's the way it was presented by reporters, at least, months ago.

The announcers pointed out this was the first time a D game planned for Sharpe. He didn't get open. Shaun Smith looked rusty as the game started but then he settled in. Amerson was on Sharpe once or twice. I'm a little concerned he didn't get open. The rook has some tape they can look at now and discuss and it surely is part of the learning process.

That 60 yarder was lucky. Bad decision by Mariota, should have been picked, outstanding concentration by Sharpe.

He's still oh so clearly Mariota's guy. Ya gotta love that for FF. The Titans are going to need others to step up so he can't get so much attention though.

What other mouths do you think they will feed? He is surrounded by mediocre talent and an old man who lost it. There is a decent TE but that's about it. He has momentum in his favor right now and has become the starter immediately. Nobody expected that to happen but it has. I'm not saying I'm optimistic but to say that WR3 is his ceiling in an offense where he may get the most targets is just not right.
Mediocre is overstating the talent that is there.

Mediocre is overstating the talent that is there.
It's very weird without DGB and soon to be Hunter while Wright is out. That's three first round talents gone/absent.

Matthews is average but with great reliable hands. Fewest? Second fewest? drops last season. Mariota needs a guy like that.

I think Andre hit the weights and came back more like his old self should be than how he looked with the Colts. He should be like Anquan. With those muscles and that veteran savvy, he's gonna get a first or two and be a solid sub. He hasn't looked slow either. I think the subbing helps the old man stay fresh. Colts threw some WR screens to him or sent him deep on a large % of plays. Neither are right for an old man. 

I'm not a Harry Douglas fan but he's fine as 5th 6th WR. I really started to like McBride. I'm afraid he's cut.  He's got a great suddenness to his routes.

Kendall is arguably the most exciting unproductive WR in the league.

They're totally fine for roles if Sharpe is all set. Mariota has some nice steady weapons now. Locker, Young...it's been a long time since the Titans didn't have WRs that drop the ball often. 

I am one of the three Hunter fans. He's only 24. He hasn't gotten a fair shake IMO this offseason and is gone. I expect they'll regret losing DGB and Hunter "in the long run" but not in 2016. Mularkey wants to pound the ball which is going to stall some times and Mariota is going to have totally force some 3rd and 8s. They've got the sure handed guys for that. 

They were blessed with maybe the fastest WR corps over 6-3 ever and it looks like they'll keep none of them. I love the big super talents and I will until CFB starts producing some CBs with size. TZ was fastest tall WR in his draft class, Hunter in his, Roberts has ridiculous closing speed- probably from baseball, and DGB was always not fast yet beating guys deep.

Ya look at the guys that stuck in NE and there really hasn't been many big WRs. Moss. Dobson hasn't done squat. 

Gronk, Hernandez, Bennett...Walker can hang in their league. No one would describe Edelman, Welker, or Amendola as some top talent WR but more tactician's that get it done over and over with reliable hands. I think that's what Robinson is aiming for. Chris Hogan is their "big" free agent signee and he's all about hustle.

McBride needs to stay. He is the NE mold. Several called him the best route runner. He supposedly stays by himself running routes. Intelligence mentioned on draft day. There was a story early on where Sharpe had only dropped one ball and he was pointing out he hadn't dropped one. 6 foot ish, very quick. Being ranked as 3rd rounder going in 7th even fits. IF New England II is the goal, then he's gotta stay. They will draft a McBride II if not. 

I said it earlier. Sharpe did not get open last week. That's significant. We will not likely see him but for a series this week. I need to see him get open when the D plans for him. That's definitely going to happen if he's their #1. If he can't handle the #1 role it'll make me long for those big giants that could win any jump ball scenario. 

It's very weird without DGB and soon to be Hunter while Wright is out. That's three first round talents gone/absent.

Matthews is average but with great reliable hands. Fewest? Second fewest? drops last season. Mariota needs a guy like that.

I think Andre hit the weights and came back more like his old self should be than how he looked with the Colts. He should be like Anquan. With those muscles and that veteran savvy, he's gonna get a first or two and be a solid sub. He hasn't looked slow either. I think the subbing helps the old man stay fresh. Colts threw some WR screens to him or sent him deep on a large % of plays. Neither are right for an old man. 

I'm not a Harry Douglas fan but he's fine as 5th 6th WR. I really started to like McBride. I'm afraid he's cut.  He's got a great suddenness to his routes.

They're totally fine for roles if Sharpe is all set. Mariota has some nice steady weapons now. Locker, Young...it's been a long time since the Titans didn't have WRs that drop the ball often. 

I am one of the three Hunter fans. He's only 24. He hasn't gotten a fair shake IMO this offseason and is gone. I expect they'll regret losing DGB and Hunter "in the long run" but not in 2016. Mularkey wants to pound the ball which is going to stall some times and Mariota is going to have totally force some 3rd and 8s. They've got the sure handed guys for that. 

They were blessed with maybe the fastest WR corps over 6-3 ever and it looks like they'll keep none of them. I love the big super talents and I will until CFB starts producing some CBs with size. TZ was fastest tall WR in his draft class, Hunter in his, Roberts has ridiculous closing speed- probably from baseball, and DGB was always not fast yet beating guys deep.

Ya look at the guys that stuck in NE and there really hasn't been many big WRs. Moss. Dobson hasn't done squat. 

Gronk, Hernandez, Bennett...Walker can hang in their league. No one would describe Edelman, Welker, or Amendola as some top talent WR but more tactician's that get it done over and over with reliable hands. I think that's what Robinson is aiming for. Chris Hogan is their "big" free agent signee and he's all about hustle.

McBride needs to stay. He is the NE mold. Several called him the best route runner. He supposedly stays by himself running routes. Intelligence mentioned on draft day. There was a story early on where Sharpe had only dropped one ball and he was pointing out he hadn't dropped one. 6 foot ish, very quick. Being ranked as 3rd rounder going in 7th even fits. IF New England II is the goal, then he's gotta stay. They will draft a McBride II if not. 

I said it earlier. Sharpe did not get open last week. That's significant. We will not likely see him but for a series this week. I need to see him get open when the D plans for him. That's definitely going to happen if he's their #1. If he can't handle the #1 role it'll make me long for those big giants that could win any jump ball scenario. 
:goodposting:

I disagree. He was wide open twice and Mariota missed him. Once on the crossing route in the middle where Mariota threw it behind him (go to 6:07 in the video below), and once down the sideline where he had two steps on his guy and Mariota under threw him (go to 28:27 and the better view and commentary at 28:52). That would have been a sure TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QASE2FAN-4

Did you watch the game?

Percent of Faab on Sharpe

He went undrafted in the rookie draft what percent of faab makes sense?   Looking for some opinions.  Is a dynasty team young team not competing this year.

I see this situation as "Diggs 2015 light" 

Polished route runner in a sub par, run first offense which will cap his potential. He'll tease FF owners with a couple of impossible to time bigger games in a sea of 5 for 55 zero TD performances. 

I see this situation as "Diggs 2015 light" 

Polished route runner in a sub par, run first offense which will cap his potential. He'll tease FF owners with a couple of impossible to time bigger games in a sea of 5 for 55 zero TD performances. 
4 100 yard games combined with 12 55 yard games is 1,000 yard season. My point isn't to say you're wrong, it's more to point out tha most WRs have several 55/0 games in a season. Only the top handful of WRs produce more often than not.

4 100 yard games combined with 12 55 yard games is 1,000 yard season. My point isn't to say you're wrong, it's more to point out tha most WRs have several 55/0 games in a season. Only the top handful of WRs produce more often than not.
True but FF is a weekly game, and consistency is what I value over all other traits when it comes to performance. Otherwise I get stuck playing the "which guy will go off this week" game and that's a complete roll of the dice. I'm not dumping on the guy too much as I picked him up a few days ago in my money league. Just sayin, this situation screams guessing game all year long. 

Marcus Mariota said rookie WR Tajae Sharpe "makes it easy" on him.
ESPN Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky predictably picked Sharpe as his "fantasy breakout player" for the season. Sharpe didn't miss a single practice in training camp and was often seen staying after to catch extra passes. In the preseason, he reeled in 9-of-12 targets for 163 yards. "He is a very versatile athlete," Mariota continues. "He has done a lot for us already and he gets great separation in and out of his routes. We are going to continue to expect these things out of him." Sharpe is the early favorite to lead the Titans' receivers in targets this season.

Source: ESPN.com 
Sep 5 - 6:27 PM

True but FF is a weekly game, and consistency is what I value over all other traits when it comes to performance. Otherwise I get stuck playing the "which guy will go off this week" game and that's a complete roll of the dice. I'm not dumping on the guy too much as I picked him up a few days ago in my money league. Just sayin, this situation screams guessing game all year long. 
Today, I don't disagree, but in the same light I would definitely start him week one.

Week one is often the only week the Titans look good and he and Marcus have a real rapport going. They beat the Chiefs (an expected playoff team) a couple years ago and I think Mariota was player of the week last year against the Bucs and they had 35-45 points or so. 

The Titans always come down to earth soon after, but as long as that is "their week" you might as well jump on.

Last season the Vikings played one of their worst games in week 1 against the 49ers. They came out flat and played poorly on defense.

I am not expecting that to happen again.

Sharpe will have a a good test against the Vikings secondary that is pretty talented right now.

I think the Vikings have to be focused on stopping the run in this game, so certainly a chance for some big plays off play action.

As far as consistency from a WR goes, all you can really ask for is a WR who can consistently provide an open target for the QB to go to, for the WR to be efficient in converting their opportunities and the opportunities to be a couple times each quarter ( one or two targets per drive).

Shape is a rookie, so who knows, but based on what we do know about him thus far he seems like a guy who should fit all of the above criteria. He wont be inconsistent like a one dimensional deep WR threat where you are hoping for 1 catch and 60 yards to have a good day and zeros when they don't. If Sharpe is inconsistent it will be because he is a rookie.He has not played like a rookie thus far however.

I wouldn't recommend him as a week 1 start because of the opponent.

So Xavier Rhodes was a late scratch for this game due the Vikings having players with spontanios knee explosions. This caused Trey Waynes to play RCB with Newman starting at LCB.

Sharpe is the real deal. He does not look like a rookie at all. He runs great routes and he also won a contested catch against Waynes, the commentator for the game mentions how strong Sharpes hands are to bring in that catch with Waynes playing pretty good defense on him and the ball. I agreed with these comments, Sharpe made a really nice play there. He had to work for it to get open but was more successful doing so than I thought he would be. The Vikings have good defensive backs, Newman got the better of Sharpe on one of his targets, but for the most part Sharpe wouldn't be denied.

Here are the snaps and utilization for the Titans skill players week one

T Sharpe WR 64 snaps (96%) 11 targets (27%) 7 receptions (63%) 76 yards 10.9 ypc 6.9 YPT 
D Walker TE 54snaps  (81%) 5 targets (12%) 3 receptions (60%) 42 yards 14 ypc 8.4 YPT
D Murray RB 50 snaps (75%) 13 rushing attempts 42 yards 3.2 ypc 7 targets (17%) 5 receptions (71%) 35 yards  7 ypc 5 YPT
H Douglas WR 37 snaps (55%) 5 targets (12%) 2 receptions (40%) 20 yards 10 ypc 4 YPT
R Matthews WR 35 snaps (52%) 4 targets (10%) 3 receptions (75%) 26 yards 8.7 ypc 6.5 YPT
A Fasano TE 25 snaps (37%) 
A Johnson WR 24 snaps (36%) 7 targets (17%) 3 receptions (42%) 30 yards 10 ypc 4.3 YPT
D Henry RB 21 snaps (31%) 5 rushing attempts 3 yards 2 targets (6%) 2 receptions (100%) 41 yards 20.5 ypc 20.5 YPT
P Supernaw TE 14 21% 18 62%
J Fowler FB 11 16%

Sharpe led the team in total number of snaps, targets, yards per target was decent at 6.9

Not bad for a rookie. I think Sharpe is the real deal, my only question is what his upside may be. He seems to be a favorite for Mariota, I expected Walker to get more targets than he did in this game, but Sharpe still had twice as many as their target leader the last two seasons.

To say I am impressed with Sharpe would be an understatement. He keeps surprising me.

Probably. But I'd guess he'll stay at his current level for a bit until teams figure out his weaknesses. I'd expect a fade but from when is anyone's guess. Week 5? 6?
I would have liked to see Sharpe against Xavier Rhodes who has a more physical play style than Waynes who likes to play off more. 

I think so to. I am over Decker (might get a mistake) and Moncrief (unfavorable matchup)
I am definitely benching Sammy Watkins, unless there is some kind of miraculous report before the game, but then it really becomes a conundrum about who my two flex options will be (Sharpe and/or RB2/3 types).

I will post my final decision in here because sometimes, albeit very rarely, it can help others inform their own decisions.

Sharpe ran most of his routes short and/or hurried in week one. He was disappointed in himself and pointed this out to Mularkey.

Who does that? "Hey my routes weren't good coach"

Earlier in the year he showed up hours early to a game to run practice routes on the field.

The detail and "obsession" with his route running is surely going to pay off for this kid.

Still starting Sanders (and Cobb) over him this week, but if he plays well again I may think about starting him next week.

I played him over Allen Hurns, Eli Rogers and Will Fuller last week, doing the same again with the favorable matchup this week as well.

Benched Watkins last night for either Tajae or Yeldon as a flex.  I keep going back and forth between the two, probably won't decide until Sunday AM when we find out Ivory's status.  Don't need anyone's opinion on whom (who?) to choose, and am happy to discuss the pros and cons I see for each guy (or why I liked both over Watkins) but don't want this to be a WDIS.

What decisions are others struggling with re: Tajae?

Benched Watkins last night for either Tajae or Yeldon as a flex.  I keep going back and forth between the two, probably won't decide until Sunday AM when we find out Ivory's status.  Don't need anyone's opinion on whom (who?) to choose, and am happy to discuss the pros and cons I see for each guy (or why I liked both over Watkins) but don't want this to be a WDIS.

What decisions are others struggling with re: Tajae?
Well, I had a Decker, DT, or Sharpe decision. Benched Decker because I figured I'd wait to see how DT was :wall:

So now it's DT or Sharpe.

And for the record, I like Sharpe over Yeldon, especially against that Detroit D.

Well, I had a Decker, DT, or Sharpe decision. Benched Decker because I figured I'd wait to see how DT was :wall:

So now it's DT or Sharpe.

And for the record, I like Sharpe over Yeldon, especially against that Detroit D.
That Detroit pass D looks like a tasty option after last week.  I think Tajae is the real deal and will continue to get lots of targets (all you can ask for really) but to take the opposite view I'm in a non-ppr, Detroit is back home and Mariota is no Luck.

And FTR I think I like Sharpe over DT right now, particularly in a PPR.  Although that opinion could change 100-200 times between now and Sunday.

And FTR I think I like Sharpe over DT right now, particularly in a PPR.  Although that opinion could change 100-200 times between now and Sunday.
Why? I thought the Broncos had a sweet matchup this week

You're unimpressed with their QB?

Users who are viewing this thread