What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Swing for the Fences - WR/TE (1 Viewer)

BoulderBob

Footballguy
This is the one position(s) I fail to properly scout. I'm really looking for younger guys, but grizzled vets an injury away from a lead role are welcome. Who do you guys like heading into 2006? It would be nice to bump this thread in January.

My picks:

- Bernard Berrian (WR- CHI) Love the YPC, although the CHI system doesn't favor this pick.

- Cedrick Wilson (WR- PIT) Would love to hear feedback from Pit. homers

- Bryant Johnson (WR-AZ) Only if Fitz goes down, been drinking the cool-aid on this guy for a while.

- Michael Gaines (TE-CAR) Call it a hunch, like his numbers

Look forward to your responses. Maybe the lot of us can sniff out a stud or two this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
David Boston is one Galloway or Clayton injury away from a starting role for an offense that has produced some nice WRs. Considering those two guys are hardly beacons of good health, and considering Boston has demonstrated that he can be a top-flight WR, I like his chances better than most considering you can get him at the tail end of most drafts.

Kevin Curtis - STL - He was very good last year also...but can still be had late and if Isaac goes down will be a force

David Boston is one Galloway or Clayton injury away from a starting role for an offense that has produced some nice WRs. Considering those two guys are hardly beacons of good health, and considering Boston has demonstrated that he can be a top-flight WR, I like his chances better than most considering you can get him at the tail end of most drafts.
You love this guy dont ya?

For me this is all about opportunity. Which solid teams have an opening at WR1?

I see these teams as being solid, but lack a true WR1:

Atlanta: R White? M Jenkins?

Philadelphia: Did Brown show enough to lock it down? Perhaps Baskett?

San Diego: V Jackson? E Parker? Is McCardell still the WR1?

Jacksonville: Jones or Wilford?

Not in the same situation as these other guys, but I like Drew Carter in Carolina a lot.

Ben Utecht IND, TE-

indy will pass more

clarks injury history

payton seems to look for him... he caught the td in preseason game 1 and after wathcing the colts pratice on NFL network he was going to him during the goaline drill

Eh...not so much....I just think that guys who have demonstrated excellence and then fallen a bit (or in this case, a lot) have a better chance of returning to a high level of prodcution then most players who have never displayed that kind of production. I'm high on Culpepper's value this year for the same reason.Colin

Just thought of another one

Patrick Crayton - DAL - He had some really nice games last year before getting hurt and would be next in line.

As far as Wilson exploding, I am not sure any #2 receiver for Pittsburgh will ever explode. It really depends on your scoring system if you find value in him. I do think he will be good for a few deep balls and TD's but expecting numbers like Plaxico put up when he was a #2 is not going to happen, especially with all the other options (Washington, Holmes, Miller, and Reid) available to Ben.

If Branch extends his holdout deep into the pre-season, Reche Caldwell. He had an ok rookie year followed by two injury-shortened years, then limited, as least partly, by the emergence of Gates. Brady has shown that any WR could end up being the top target in NE. In the past 5 years, there have been 3 different reception leaders for a given season.

Kevin Curtis - STL - He was very good last year also...but can still be had late and if Isaac goes down will be a force
:thumbup: I don't think he'd pile up a ton of catches but I like his ability to get loose and get those 50-60 yard scores. If he was opposite Holt minus Bruce he's definite starter-material every week. I'm targeting him in every draft because I don't trust Bruce making it through the year.

Currently at WR66 - Mike Williams could be a big swing. If for some reason this was all a motivational ploy and ends up #2 then wow. If he ends up #3 he could produce a few TDs.

Currently at WR70 - Reche Caldwell, especially if Branch doesn't play half the season.

:thumbup: I don't think he'd pile up a ton of catches but I like his ability to get loose and get those 50-60 yard scores. If he was opposite Holt minus Bruce he's definite starter-material every week. I'm targeting him in every draft because I don't trust Bruce making it through the year.
I question the new offense in STL. I also question Bulger as a QB that one would want throwing all day long, too many picks, IMO. Any homers want to chime in? Without Martz, does STL turn into a running team? I think they would be wise to pound it away with Jackson, effectively running out the clock and keeping the other teams D on the field. What type of coach is Linehan?

Is anyone going to mention Baskett?

He could be just preseason hype, or a major player this year in the Eagles passing game.

Ben Utecht IND, TE- indy will pass moreclarks injury historypayton seems to look for him... he caught the td in preseason game 1 and after wathcing the colts pratice on NFL network he was going to him during the goaline drill
has he passed Fletcher who had 3 or 4 decent game towards the end of last year?

I took him with the last pick in a 14 team league last year and he was huge for me. Hopefully I can sneak him in late again :ph34r: watch out for Joe Klopfenstein also...but he's ranked reasonably high

TE-wise:

Robert Royal in BUF and Matt Schobel in PHI (I know, LJ is there) will end up being better than their current ranking.

I question the new offense in STL. I also question Bulger as a QB that one would want throwing all day long, too many picks, IMO. Any homers want to chime in? Without Martz, does STL turn into a running team? I think they would be wise to pound it away with Jackson, effectively running out the clock and keeping the other teams D on the field. What type of coach is Linehan?
All the talk in St.Louis is of a more balanced offense and pounding Jackson for 25 carries a game. I think in a Martz offense that is based so much on timing combined with TERRIBLE offensive line play attributed to alot of Bulgers INTs, has any of that changed??? Not sure at this pointHere is a rundown on Linehan2003 - OC for Vikings - 4th most passing yards in the league (Martz and STL = 3rd, 10 more yards than Vikes)2004 - OC for Vikings - 2nd most passing yards in the league (Martz and STL = 5th)2005 - OC Dolphins - middle of the pack in passing yards (gus ferrote and company)His offenses have been every bit as prolific as the "Genius" Martz in the passing game and scoring.The official Rams homer has spoken :P

Troy WilliamsonD. MasonDominating Joeski in 3 leagues? 1. I crush you in Dynasty.2. I'm the kicker league champ to be.3. That Sarducci league that you run will soon be mine. And I did get SB runner up once.4. How sad that you worry about me the donater.5. Get out of FBGFFA 6. You have a small member # 7. My avatar rocks8. I am the lurker king... Back to lurking.

Troy WilliamsonD. MasonDominating Joeski in 3 leagues? 1. I crush you in Dynasty.2. I'm the kicker league champ to be.3. That Sarducci league that you run will soon be mine. And I did get SB runner up once.4. How sad that you worry about me the donater.5. Get out of FBGFFA 6. You have a small member # 7. My avatar rocks8. I am the lurker king... Back to lurking.
Yeah, Mason a late rounder!!! Shark lol

Yeah, Mason a late rounder!!! Shark lol
You'll take him to early. Chum

Ben Utecht IND, TE- indy will pass moreclarks injury historypayton seems to look for him... he caught the td in preseason game 1 and after wathcing the colts pratice on NFL network he was going to him during the goaline drill
has he passed Fletcher who had 3 or 4 decent game towards the end of last year?
not on the depth chart according to FBG he is still 3rd. here are the stats from preseason game 1:Ben Utecht 2/8 1TD Dallas Clark 2/22 Fletcher - nadathey obviously mean nothing. but if Utecht gets end zone looks he'll be worth it. bubba franks never put up yards

Ben Troupe - Volek looked eary and often to his best receiving threat in the fist preseason game. Let's not forget Troupe had one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the NFL(Top 20 season in terms of rookie TE receptions)

90 receptions is possible. Troupe would only need an increase of 2 receptions per game and with Kinney out it's very possible he could get that. With his athleticism and with that reception total you could see Gates type numbers...I'll say it one more time...Gates type numbers. :football:

His current ADP is a joke.

I don't give away all my secrets, but I'm feeling generous today. :saint:

Corey Bradford...still not getting love in drafts.
I was gonna add him but I took a look at his yearly numbers and I'm not sure about him now. Always "assumed" he had some good years in GB...but he flat out didn't. How skilled is he? Haven't seen enough of him to know if he's a Martz type of guy. I'm not sure if even a Martz offense can turn 8 years of mediocrity into being worth a poo fantasy wise. His best season was 45 catches and that was in 02.

Corey Bradford...still not getting love in drafts.
I was gonna add him but I took a look at his yearly numbers and I'm not sure about him now. Always "assumed" he had some good years in GB...but he flat out didn't. How skilled is he? Haven't seen enough of him to know if he's a Martz type of guy. I'm not sure if even a Martz offense can turn 8 years of mediocrity into being worth a poo fantasy wise. His best season was 45 catches and that was in 02.
He gets separation and has good athleticism, if he can catch the ball with consistency and earn Kitna's trust he could have a breakout year...late bloomer if you will. Let's remember even Andre Johnson couldn't do anything in Houston, and Andre is a beast.

Ben Troupe - Volek looked eary and often to his best receiving threat in the fist preseason game. Let's not forget Troupe had one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the NFL(Top 20 season in terms of rookie TE receptions)90 receptions is possible. Troupe would only be an increase of 2 receptions per game and with Kinney out it's very possible he could get that. With his athleticism and with that reception total you could see Gates type numbers. :football: His current ADP is a joke.I don't give away all my secrets, but I'm feeling generous today. :saint:
Shhhh... :goodposting:I loved watching this guy at Florida, simply a freak of an athlete.

Travis Taylor or Troy Williamson - MIN
Where's Marcus Robinson?
His best days behind him. He dropped an easy deep ball during the team's first preseason game and has been mostly inconsistent over the course of his career. Just not high on him.Of course I am probably higher on most any 2nd year WR late in drafts. Guys like Williamson, V Jax, White, Williams, and Edwards. Clayton, Jones, Brown in the mid-late rounds. Once you have landed a breakout WR that you have targetted in drafts, it is like dope. You keep going back to the well. I would rather take a flyer on one of these types that to take an old vet that will get you 500 yards and 4 tds.

His best days behind him. He dropped an easy deep ball during the team's first preseason game and has been mostly inconsistent over the course of his career. Just not high on him.
It was a weird dropped ball though...the DB tipped it behind him... I rewound it on my DVR a couple of times.I think M-Rob will put up numbers when he's healthy and starting because he gets seperation and has great hands....he's just not going to stay healthy though.

Alex Smith TB, Zack Hilton NO, and Ben Troupe Tenn aren't getting drafted in the 14 team mocks i've done. I'm on the fence passing on a top 5 TE and taking two of these guys late, haven't quite convinced myself that by playing the matchups I could get close to top 5-7 TE production.....yet.

Alex Smith TB, Zack Hilton NO, and Ben Troupe Tenn aren't getting drafted in the 14 team mocks i've done. I'm on the fence passing on a top 5 TE and taking two of these guys late, haven't quite convinced myself that by playing the matchups I could get close to top 5-7 TE production.....yet.
Smith doesn't have the athleticism I'd like to see and Gruden's TEs have never done much.Hilton isn't starting in NO.Troupe I agree with and posted on above.

His best days behind him. He dropped an easy deep ball during the team's first preseason game and has been mostly inconsistent over the course of his career. Just not high on him.
It was a weird dropped ball though...the DB tipped it behind him... I rewound it on my DVR a couple of times.I think M-Rob will put up numbers when he's healthy and starting because he gets seperation and has great hands....he's just not going to stay healthy though.
Oh yeah I don't doubt that he could surprise. Just a matter of personal preference for me. And as you mentioned he is an injury waiting to happen.

News about Alex Smith all offseason has been how Gruden has designed plays specifically for him and wants to get him the ball more. But saying and doing are one thing, it'd be a change for a Gruden offense to rely on the TE.

Currently at WR70 - Reche Caldwell, especially if Branch doesn't play half the season.
I've been pimping this kid since the beginning of spring. All he has to do is stay healthy. His hands are a bit suspect so he'll have a drop here and there, but he's starting and Brady is a great QB. A healthy Caldwell pulls in no less than 60 receptions and Caldwell has the athleticism to put up decent TD and YPC numbers.That being said I can't see him putting up top 15 numbers even with a Branch holdout...Brady spreads it around too much.

Forgot to mention the Denver TE, Scheffler (check spelling)

He is starting to go a litle earlier than I would like in some drafts though. He isn't flying as low on the radar anymore.

Ben Troupe - Volek looked eary and often to his best receiving threat in the fist preseason game. Let's not forget Troupe had one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the NFL(Top 20 season in terms of rookie TE receptions)90 receptions is possible. Troupe would only need an increase of 2 receptions per game and with Kinney out it's very possible he could get that. With his athleticism and with that reception total you could see Gates type numbers...I'll say it one more time...Gates type numbers. :football: His current ADP is a joke.I don't give away all my secrets, but I'm feeling generous today. :saint:
:goodposting:

LHUCKS said:
JimmyD said:
I've been pimping this kid since the beginning of spring. All he has to do is stay healthy. His hands are a bit suspect so he'll have a drop here and there, but he's starting and Brady is a great QB. A healthy Caldwell pulls in no less than 60 receptions and Caldwell has the athleticism to put up decent TD and YPC numbers.That being said I can't see him putting up top 15 numbers even with a Branch holdout...Brady spreads it around too much.
Not only drops, but freaking fumbles.

LHUCKS said:
msommer said:
Chris Simms to Alex Smith - could be the Chris Cooley of 2006
Why do you expect a dramatic increase in receptions/targets?
In 2005 Chris Cooley had 71 receptions (for 774 yards and 9 TDs). This was his second year in the league.Alex Smith had 41 receptions (for 367 yards and 2 TDs). This was his first year.The TE position is not an easy one for rookies There were some signs however that Smith was more involved in the last weeks (hauling in 1, 3, 4, 8, 1 and 3 receptions in the last 6 games incl wild card game).I don't know enough about Gruden's tendencies to comment on whether he has a bad or good history with TEs - but in TBB he really haven't had much to work with so far.When I said the Chris Cooley of 2006 I meant it more as in the top 10 TE that came out of almost nowhere (Cooley had an impressive finish in 2004 so some of us expected it), not that he necessarily will get 70 receptions.But - in that respect, I am not sold on either Galloway or Boston, particularly not lasting a whole season and returning to form respectively. Michael Clayton has a (mild?) turf toe, Hilliard is an injury waiting to happen and Stovall is a rookie. The Bucs passed almost 500 times last year - which I think they will do again. In my rankings I have Alex Smith as TE10 with 55/535/5 - that works out to 2 ppg less than Cooley.

Troupe & Klop (TE in Linehan offense) at TE

Toomer, Jennings, and Travis Wilson at WR

Travis Wilson has big play ability and only really has oft-injured Jurevicius and Edwards (still not practicing) ahead of him.

Users who are viewing this thread