What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl XLV Betting Recommendations (1 Viewer)

kroyrunner89

Footballguy
With the NFL draft now completed, and the destination of most big name players determined, it seems as good a time as any to look ahead to Super Bowl XLV and consider some future bets. With 32 teams in the NFL, obviously without taking team talent into consideration you have 32-1 odds of picking the next Super Bowl champion. However, all of you are clearly smarter than that, and will be trying to find teams with a higher level of talent that present good value for the 2011 Super Bowl. The purpose of this write up is to give you all an idea of where I'm seeing value this coming season, and where I see potential traps that could suck you in. Going by the odds off of LooseLines.com, I'm going to make the assumption that none of you are seriously considering any of the bottom 16 teams to put your money on, leaving 16 teams to be considered as champion of Super Bowl XLV. Here are the current odds for these teams:

* Colts: +600 (6-1)

* Patriots: +800 (8-1)

* Saints: +800 (8-1)

* Chargers: +800 (8-1)

* Cowboys: +1000 (10-1)

* Vikings: +1000 (10-1)

* Steelers: +1000 (10-1)

* Packers: +1100 (11-1)

* Eagles: +1200 (12-1)

* Ravens: +1500 (15-1)

* Jets: +1600 (16-1)

* Falcons: +1800 (18-1)

* Giants: +2000 (20-1)

* Bengals: +2500 (25-1)

Obviously, some of these bets present more value than others. Here are some of my top choices for this coming season, as well as some teams that I believe you should stay away from:

Top Picks:

* New York Jets

This is probably one of my favorite bets for the coming season. At 16-1, this pick offers a ton of value, and the only complaint one can really find with the team is that Sanchez is still a bit of an unproven Quarterback. Shonn Greene is an outstanding up and coming running back, and the veteran presence of Tomlinson will be a big help to this offense, even if he does turn out to be washed up and used sparingly. Also, the Jets have added Santonio Holmes to the team, and although he will miss the first four games of the season he'll be around when it counts at the end of the year, giving Sanchez another weapon in a squad of WRs that could already be considered deep. Meanwhile, this Jets' defense, which was #1 in yds/pass att. allowed last year, has added CB Antonio Cromartie to the squad. This pass defense will be incredibly tough against teams next year, and with the addition of Jason Taylor as well, this team will be very tough to score against. I believe that we'll see an improved Sanchez in 2010/2011, and with what will probably be the best defense in the NFL this team will have a real chance at winning it all in February.

* Baltimore Ravens

We saw flashes of an elite offense out of the Ravens last year, although towards the end of the season Flacco struggled with a hip injury and the offense sputtered when it mattered. One of the biggest complaints against the Ravens offense was their lack of a wide receiver, and they certainly took care of that problem by acquiring WR Anquan Boldin this off-season. The threat of Boldin at WR should help open things up for already dangerous RB Ray Rice, who last season showed his versatility by racking up over 2000 total yards. Although the defense is aging, they did their best to address their lack of depth at CB during the draft, and I think this will be an above average defense against the pass next year, as well as continuing to be a top 5 unit against the run (they were #1 in yards allowed/rush attempt last season). With a strong defense and what could easily be a powerful offense, you have to see a lot of value in the 15-1 odds offered for betting the Ravens right now.

* Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys had a disappointing end to the 2009/2010 season as they failed to show up against the Vikings in the playoffs and wound up getting blown out. However, the talent of this team can't be denied. Dallas was above average against the pass and run on defense last season, and certainly has all of the pieces in place to be again in 2010/2011. On offense, they were #2 in yards/rush attempt, and with Felix Jones taking over this season as the featured back, you have to think that they have a good chance at becoming the #1 team running the ball overall. Even if Jones can't stay healthy, they have Marion Barber to back him up, who certainly is capable of carrying the load if need-be. The offense also offers a great deal of balance, as last season they were #6 in yards/pass attempt. With the acquisition of WR Dez Bryant in the draft, the Cowboys have added yet another weapon to what was already a powerful offense. The Cowboys struggled last season converting their yards into points at times, and often these are the teams that we see put it together the following season and make a deep run. I'll gladly take 10-1 odds on this team to win it all, as they could easily be one of the most talented teams in the NFL in 2010.

I believe that these teams stand above the other teams in the field, as they appear on paper to be the most complete squads in the NFL. However, there are currently many other teams that are being talked up as possible champions in 2010. Here are a few teams that I feel are being overvalued, and are likely to disappoint those who decide to bet on them:

Teams to Avoid:

* New Orleans Saints

As many of you know, the Saints are probably my favorite team in the NFL. I'm a big fan of Brees and the offense that he runs, however I don't believe the pieces are in place for the Saints to repeat in 2010. For starters, I'll readily admit that they probably should have lost to the Vikings in the playoffs last year. The Saints' flaw all season was their inability to stop the run, and unfortunately I haven't seen them do a ton this season to fix that problem. With Fujita no longer on the squad, and Sharper possibly leaving, I see a weakening defense that won't be able to generate the incredible number of turnovers that they did last season. The offense will continue to put points on the board as always, but I believe we'll see a team closer to the 2008/2009 squad than last year's. I think this team makes the playoffs, however finds themselves eliminated before the Superbowl. 8-1 odds isn't a good enough price to pick this team, so stay away.

* Philadelphia Eagles

One of the main reasons I have to include the Eagles here is because of the ridiculously low odds offered for picking them. QB play is becoming increasingly important in today's NFL, and with an unproven QB at the helm I'm not sure why anyone would want to lay 12-1 odds on this team to win it all. I personally am not even convinced that this team makes the playoffs, and if they do they'll more than likely be a wild card team and have to fight an uphill battle on the road in the playoffs. This offense will take a step back and the defense will continue to be right around average, maybe slightly better. That's not the formula for a Super Bowl team, so save your money and stay away from this pick.

* Pittsburgh Steelers

Again, this is a team who's odds are way too low. I've seen them in other locations at as high as 20-1, but even at that price I wouldn't take them. First of all, Roethlisberger is suspended for 6 games, although that could get reduced to a 4 game suspension if he behaves himself. Even if he only missed four games, the Steelers open 2010 with a pretty tough slate of games. The Falcons, Titans, and Ravens are all teams that could very easily beat them without their #1 QB, and if faced with a 1-3 start I don't think that they can come back from that and make the playoffs. Last year this team thrived on the pass with a mediocre rushing game, and they really haven't done much so far to improve that phase of their game. Also, with losing Holmes due to trade, and now with Sweed possibly missing the entire season with an Achilles Tendon injury, how can this pass game be as good as it was last year? Getting their QB back still won't solve this team's problems, and I'm pretty confident in saying that this won't be a playoff squad, let-alone a Super Bowl champion.

That's about it for teams I have strong opinions again, remember that teams I like are simply teams that I feel offer value. Squads I didn't mention in write-ups I feel are priced about right, although I will note that I'm not a huge fan of the Colts at 6-1, I feel like you need odds a little higher than that for them. These recommendations won't count towards my record in 2010, however I look forward to looking back at them in February and seeing how they did. It's my first year trying to pick futures, so don't take my word as gospel and throw down a bunch of money on teams I recommended. As usual, make the final decision yourself and use common sense, and as always exercise good money management! I'll have a couple more off-season write-ups for team win totals and division odds before we kick off the 2010 NFL season, until then good luck to everyone betting NFL Futures or any other sports!

-Kroy

Last edited by a moderator:
It must be pretty tough to make any dollar from betting if you're based in the US - here's the best odds available for the above franchises if you're in the UK ( taken from oddschecker which I presume gets blocked if youre in the US )

* Colts: +600 (6-1) 9-1

* Patriots: +800 (8-1) 14-1

* Saints: +800 (8-1) 10-1

* Chargers: +800 (8-1) 10-1

* Cowboys: +1000 (10-1) 12-1

* Vikings: +1000 (10-1) 16-1

* Steelers: +1000 (10-1) 22-1

* Packers: +1100 (11-1) 16-1

* Eagles: +1200 (12-1) 20-1

* Ravens: +1500 (15-1) 20-1

* Jets: +1600 (16-1) 16-1

* Falcons: +1800 (18-1) 33-1

* Giants: +2000 (20-1) 28-1

* Bengals: +2500 (25-1) 33-1

Personally I like to take a few teams against the field and will try and look for well run franchises who have fallen out of favour with the market. Indianapolis were a good example of this last season, they touched 24-1 on the UK betting exchanges prior to last season - presumably the coaching changes were a big reason for this. Pittsburgh had fallen right out of favour the previous year ( hit 30- 1 pre season ) perhaps due to a bad end to the previous season ( where they had been decimated by injuries ).

Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, New England, San Diego, Baltimore are the archetypal well run franchises in the AFC, always seem to put themselves in a position to compete. But I dont see any value in the 1st 4 of those this year ( especially at US odds - Pittsburgh 10-1 with no BB for 1st 6 games - please ). The Colts are just too short, New England are in a tough division now and while San Diego are in a weak division they have started so slow under Turner the last few years that you have to think that they will be available at bigger odds than currently posted.

Baltimore I like for same reasons as you, they draft superbly, they have a great run game and D and they have made some nice moves in FA. Id expect further improvement from Flacco who I really like and Pittsburghs troubles will obviously help them.

The 2nd thing Id look for is teams who are on the up - this is a lot harder - each year a 'sexy' pick comes out of the pack and often goes down in flames. The 2 AFC teams who are interesting me here are Houston and Miami - both have q marks and tough divisional opponents but I think they're both well on the way to becoming 'well run organisations'. Houston were probably in the 'sexy' pick category last season but they're getting to the stage now where it doesnt take much improvement for them to be a play off team. They are 33-1 in UK. And Miami may just be the value in what looks like a very tough AFC East this year, their O should be explosive - main qs are on D. But I have plenty of doubts about the Jets and we'll have to see how Sanchez does in his second year. They (Jets) had their share of luck last season - I certainly think that at some stage they will be available at higher odds than 16-1.

Back later with thoughts on NFC.

It must be pretty tough to make any dollar from betting if you're based in the US - here's the best odds available for the above franchises if you're in the UK ( taken from oddschecker which I presume gets blocked if youre in the US )

Personally I like to take a few teams against the field and will try and look for well run franchises who have fallen out of favour with the market. Indianapolis were a good example of this last season, they touched 24-1 on the UK betting exchanges prior to last season - presumably the coaching changes were a big reason for this. Pittsburgh had fallen right out of favour the previous year ( hit 30- 1 pre season ) perhaps due to a bad end to the previous season ( where they had been decimated by injuries ).

Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, New England, San Diego, Baltimore are the archetypal well run franchises in the AFC, always seem to put themselves in a position to compete. But I dont see any value in the 1st 4 of those this year ( especially at US odds - Pittsburgh 10-1 with no BB for 1st 6 games - please ). The Colts are just too short, New England are in a tough division now and while San Diego are in a weak division they have started so slow under Turner the last few years that you have to think that they will be available at bigger odds than currently posted.

Baltimore I like for same reasons as you, they draft superbly, they have a great run game and D and they have made some nice moves in FA. Id expect further improvement from Flacco who I really like and Pittsburghs troubles will obviously help them.

The 2nd thing Id look for is teams who are on the up - this is a lot harder - each year a 'sexy' pick comes out of the pack and often goes down in flames. The 2 AFC teams who are interesting me here are Houston and Miami - both have q marks and tough divisional opponents but I think they're both well on the way to becoming 'well run organisations'. Houston were probably in the 'sexy' pick category last season but they're getting to the stage now where it doesnt take much improvement for them to be a play off team. They are 33-1 in UK. And Miami may just be the value in what looks like a very tough AFC East this year, their O should be explosive - main qs are on D. But I have plenty of doubts about the Jets and we'll have to see how Sanchez does in his second year. They (Jets) had their share of luck last season - I certainly think that at some stage they will be available at higher odds than 16-1.

:thumbup: My great uncle lives in the US and has done since he was in his early 20's. Every year he'll contact my dad and ask him to put money on the superbowl over here in the UK as you can usually get better odds.

I can't argue with anythng you said about the Steelers although I will say that last year's problem was the defense which had more 4th quarter collapses than probably the last 15 years combined. I do think the defense will be much better this season with a healthy Polamalu & Aaron Smith as well as the additions of Larry Foote & McFadden.

That said they are a dark horse to win the division this year let alone the Super Bowl.

I can't argue with anythng you said about the Steelers although I will say that last year's problem was the defense which had more 4th quarter collapses than probably the last 15 years combined. I do think the defense will be much better this season with a healthy Polamalu & Aaron Smith as well as the additions of Larry Foote & McFadden.That said they are a dark horse to win the division this year let alone the Super Bowl.
:goodposting: Have they thoroughly addressed the oline?

daveR said:
Godsbrother said:
I can't argue with anythng you said about the Steelers although I will say that last year's problem was the defense which had more 4th quarter collapses than probably the last 15 years combined. I do think the defense will be much better this season with a healthy Polamalu & Aaron Smith as well as the additions of Larry Foote & McFadden.That said they are a dark horse to win the division this year let alone the Super Bowl.
:popcorn: Have they thoroughly addressed the oline?
I wouldn't say they thoroughly addressed it but it sure looks like the weak link at RG (Trai Essex) will be replaced with 1st round pick Maurkice Pouncey so theoretically they should be better. Puncey is expected to be the eventual starting center so if last year's 3rd round pick OG Kraig Urbik looks good then he may get the RG gig and Pouncey could start at center (unlikely but possible). In any case they should be somewhat better than last year.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
bets I made:

Baltimore 14 to 1

Green Bay 11 to 1

Altanta 25 to 1
Green Bay is a team I came very close to including as a team that I like for this coming year. I'm a bit worried about the loss of Kampman, and losing Clifton on their line doesn't help either. However, their first pick was an offensive lineman if I'm correct, and Rodgers had a remarkable season last line despite taking so many sacks. Odds are just a little too low for me to feel like it's worth my while though, but like I said definitely a team on my radar.As for Atlanta, that's another team that could surprise. I think they have a decent chance at winning the NFC South outright, but Super Bowl might be a little bit of a stretch as I'm still questioning this team's defense and think they need a little more firepower at WR. Also, this is a team that's 7-9 on the road over the last two seasons, so if they can't get home field I don't love the idea of a dome team going on the road for a playoff game in the later rounds.

Seems strange to have the Vikings priced even with the Packers (easily swept last year) and paying significantly better than the Cowboys (UK odds), who they completely dominated in the divisional round just a few months ago. Perhaps a reflection on the public perception that the team's success rides entirely on Favre coming back and staying healthy into the playoffs?

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
bets I made:

Baltimore 14 to 1

Green Bay 11 to 1

Altanta 25 to 1
Green Bay is a team I came very close to including as a team that I like for this coming year. I'm a bit worried about the loss of Kampman, andlosing Clifton on their line doesn't help either. However, their first pick was an offensive lineman if I'm correct, and Rodgers had a remarkable season last line despite taking so many sacks. Odds are just a little too low for me to feel like it's worth my while though, but like I said definitely a team on my radar.As for Atlanta, that's another team that could surprise. I think they have a decent chance at winning the NFC South outright, but Super Bowl might be a little bit of a stretch as I'm still questioning this team's defense and think they need a little more firepower at WR. Also, this is a team that's 7-9 on the road over the last two seasons, so if they can't get home field I don't love the idea of a dome team going on the road for a playoff game in the later rounds.
No, no they didn't. Clifton signed on for 3 years. And yes, they picked Baluga at 23.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1301945...three-years-20m

Larrywarren said:

NFCDifficult with the well run organisation approach as the main candidates are all in the NFC East. Dallas are too shot given the toughness of the division, Philly for same reason plus the unknown impact of Kolb coming in - the value may be with the Giants who are best priced 28-1 in the UK, 2004 was their last losing regular season, they draft well and Eli has quietly become one of the better QBs in the league.

Atlanta are a team I've got my eye on as well, 33-1 best price at the moment. Coming off consecutive winning seasons, like Flacco for Baltimore I think we may see the best of Matt Ryan this season. The defense is still a concern although it should be better than last season - and like other posters on here I think their main rivals the Saints will be weaker this season.

The other NFC team I like value wise is San Francisco. They were 4th in points allowed last season but they have done a lot to improve their O Line through the draft. If the line does improve as expected then they will have a top D, very good running game, some great skill players in Gore, Crabtree and Davis and the weakest division in the NFL to compete against ( now weaker with Warner gone ). The big question mark is Smith at QB but the D and running game should win most games for them anyway. We may not find out how good they are until the play offs but they have a great chance of playing at home come January 2011 in the play offs and given the weakness of the division, they may well be playing a home divisional game. Odds of 40-1 are highly enticing and certainly offer value.

Leroy Hoard said:
i like GB & JETS.
Ditto. Great value with both of these teams. They have all of the pieces to make a run.New England looks terribly overrated to me right now. Honestly, I think their team is a husk of what it was a couple years ago and I won't be surprised if they finish third in their own division. The Jets have a better overall team now and the Dolphins are not going to be an easy win next season.

Futures bets for championships are idiotic bets to make imo. There is no value with any pick. Books absolutely RAKE on these bets.

My advice is to use the money elsewhere.

Futures bets for championships are idiotic bets to make imo. There is no value with any pick. Books absolutely RAKE on these bets. My advice is to use the money elsewhere.
:rolleyes: mathematically it is a sucker bet.It mirrors horse betting.And horse betting, although thoroughly enjoyable... is for losers.

kroyrunner89 said:
Top Picks: * New York JetsThis is probably one of my favorite bets for the coming season. At 16-1, this pick offers a ton of value, and the only complaint one can really find with the team is that Sanchez is still a bit of an unproven Quarterback. Shonn Greene is an outstanding up and coming running back, and the veteran presence of Tomlinson will be a big help to this offense, even if he does turn out to be washed up and used sparingly. Also, the Jets have added Santonio Holmes to the team, and although he will miss the first four games of the season he'll be around when it counts at the end of the year, giving Sanchez another weapon in a squad of WRs that could already be considered deep. Meanwhile, this Jets' defense, which was #1 in yds/pass att. allowed last year, has added CB Antonio Cromartie to the squad. This pass defense will be incredibly tough against teams next year, and with the addition of Jason Taylor as well, this team will be very tough to score against. I believe that we'll see an improved Sanchez in 2010/2011, and with what will probably be the best defense in the NFL this team will have a real chance at winning it all in February. * Baltimore RavensWe saw flashes of an elite offense out of the Ravens last year, although towards the end of the season Flacco struggled with a hip injury and the offense sputtered when it mattered. One of the biggest complaints against the Ravens offense was their lack of a wide receiver, and they certainly took care of that problem by acquiring WR Anquan Boldin this off-season. The threat of Boldin at WR should help open things up for already dangerous RB Ray Rice, who last season showed his versatility by racking up over 2000 total yards. Although the defense is aging, they did their best to address their lack of depth at CB during the draft, and I think this will be an above average defense against the pass next year, as well as continuing to be a top 5 unit against the run (they were #1 in yards allowed/rush attempt last season). With a strong defense and what could easily be a powerful offense, you have to see a lot of value in the 15-1 odds offered for betting the Ravens right now. * Dallas CowboysThe Cowboys had a disappointing end to the 2009/2010 season as they failed to show up against the Vikings in the playoffs and wound up getting blown out. However, the talent of this team can't be denied. Dallas was above average against the pass and run on defense last season, and certainly has all of the pieces in place to be again in 2010/2011. On offense, they were #2 in yards/rush attempt, and with Felix Jones taking over this season as the featured back, you have to think that they have a good chance at becoming the #1 team running the ball overall. Even if Jones can't stay healthy, they have Marion Barber to back him up, who certainly is capable of carrying the load if need-be. The offense also offers a great deal of balance, as last season they were #6 in yards/pass attempt. With the acquisition of WR Dez Bryant in the draft, the Cowboys have added yet another weapon to what was already a powerful offense. The Cowboys struggled last season converting their yards into points at times, and often these are the teams that we see put it together the following season and make a deep run. I'll gladly take 10-1 odds on this team to win it all, as they could easily be one of the most talented teams in the NFL in 2010.I believe that these teams stand above the other teams in the field, as they appear on paper to be the most complete squads in the NFL. However, there are currently many other teams that are being talked up as possible champions in 2010. Here are a few teams that I feel are being overvalued, and are likely to disappoint those who decide to bet on them:
I think your Top Picks are absolutely dead on... If I had money to burn right now I'd be putting it on those exact three teams. :angry:

Just curious...are there sites out there where you can buy a futures bet now and then sell it at a premium as time moves on and odds start changing?

Just curious...are there sites out there where you can buy a futures bet now and then sell it at a premium as time moves on and odds start changing?
There are, but you wont be able to access them if you are in the US.You can do this either with spread betting - whole concept of this is based on futures in any eventor through exchange betting where effectively the public bet against each other - here you can either back a team in the normal way or act as layer/bookie - Betfair is the leader here.

Users who are viewing this thread