What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevie Johnson signs with SAN DIEGO (4 Viewers)

Fyi 2nd thread here. - Have to agree that this is the best QB he has played with in his life, and another point that Rivers has a history of locking in on players.

- Anyone see Stevie Johnson being a sleeper in SD and maybe even exceeding Keenan Allen there? I ask as he's gotten a nice little bump in at least one of the recent FBG rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
Fyi 2nd thread here.

- Anyone see Stevie Johnson being a sleeper in SD and maybe even exceeding Keenan Allen there? I ask as he's gotten a nice little bump in at least one of the recent FBG rankings.
I think it is very possible. IMO he is a better WR than Allen, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get more targets, though I expect it will be close. It is expected that both of them will move between slot and outside, but I'm guessing Johnson will play more slot. That means the opposing team's #1 corner and/or any double coverage will likely be used against Allen most often, with Stevie going against a slot corner. IMO that means Stevie will be open more often, and Rivers will certainly go to the open man.

Locked in as my WR5 and I'll definitely give him a few weeks before I even consider dropping him. IMO he's one of the best WR values going this year.

Andy Reid Vs. The Clock (Again), A Truer Test for Mariota, Why Stevie Johnson Rules, and Cartman Does Deflategate Right

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/20/andy-reid-jamaal-charles-fumble-marcus-mariota-stevie-johnson-route-south-park-tom-brady-eric

Excerpt:

4. I think Stevie Johnson is probably my favorite NFL player to watch, (and, as I mentioned a week ago, I think he’ll go down as one of the true free-agent steals of 2015). His route running is absolutely fascinating, creating separation through an innate, Coltrane-like ability to improvise. A few years back, I talked to him about the art of route running.

Johnson: From talking with DBs, they all say they check to see when you sink your hips or when you drop your arms or turn your head. That’s when they know something’s going to happen, you’re going to break in, break out, or you’re going to stop. I try to work that information into routes. If I have a go route, I’ll get to a certain point then I’ll drop my arms to make it look like I’m going to stop. Then I keep going. I call it parking, when you…

Me: Sorry, wait a minute? Did you say “parking”?

Johnson: Yeah, it’s parking the DB. Like when you park your car, you park it in the stall then you walk off and go somewhere else. So if I give him a move off the line and I’m going to the right but I fake to the left, and the DB has jumps all the way to the left, I just “parked” him, and now I’m leaving.

Me: That's an awesome term. Where did you hear it?

Johnson: I didn’t hear it. My friends and I came up with it in junior college.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta
Slap it high!

Stevie looking like a potential steal of the draft candidate. Awesome value for a guy who had a down year with Kaep and not far removed from solid performance in Buffalo. Going to take time to show itself, but could push to be the WR1 in San Diego.

Rotoworld:

Stevie Johnson is expected play a bigger role if TE Ladarius Green (concussion) misses Week 3.

With Green looking doubtful, Johnson should see more opportunities in the middle of the field. Johnson has been San Diego’s primary underneath receiver through two weeks. Danny Woodhead will also see an expanded role if Green is held out.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 6:47 PM

Targets of 6, 6, and 5 the first three weeks. He looks good but if he can't get more love then he has limited worth going forward.

Targets of 6, 6, and 5 the first three weeks. He looks good but if he can't get more love then he has limited worth going forward.
Sadly I think you are right. Allen, Gates, Woodhead, lots of mouths to feed. Johnson could be pretty inconsistent from week-to-week.

Rotoworld:

Stevie Johnson left Sunday's Week 4 game against the Browns with a hamstring injury.

It was a non-contact injury where Johnson was running an up-field route and pulled up lame. Johnson tried icing the hamstring on the sideline, but ultimately sat down and looked done for the day. Before exiting, Johnson secured 4-of-8 targets for 32 yards. The Chargers also lost Malcom Floyd to a concussion early in Sunday's game.

Oct 4 - 6:21 PM

So somebody has to play Keenan's slot in the offense. It's a high volume slot.

Wouldn't Stevie most likely slide into that role?

I'd think Floyd just remains in his existing role as the deep threat guy.

Have to think this vaults Stevie's targets and value upward.

imo Gates gets the biggest bump, then Stevie, then Floyd. Stevie needs to do do a semi-decent Keenan impression, otherwise this offense reverts to the Antonio Gates show.

When all were healthy, Allen, Floyd, and Stevie all started and played most of the snaps. Inman hardly played except when one of those guys was injured. Now he will start. So Inman gets the biggest bump in playing time.

Targets to date:

Allen - 89 in 8 games = 11.1 per game

Gates - 32 in 3 games = 10.7 per game

Woodhead - 50 in 8 games = 6.3 per game

Stevie - 37 in 6 games = 6.2 per game

Green - 37 in 7 games = 5.3 per game

Floyd - 40 in 8 games = 5.0 per game

Inman - 18 in 7 games = 2.6 per game

Partial games skew those averages a bit, but this provides a loose baseline.

I don't see the targets for Gates going up significantly; he is already averaging almost 11 per game, and more than 20% of Rivers' targets in the games he has played.

The Chargers have averaged 44.25 passing attempts per game, which is on pace for 708 attempts for the regular season. On the one hand, there are no signs that the defense or OL or running game will improve, which could mean it continues. On the other hand, that would be the second highest total in NFL history. I'll project 41 attempts per game the rest of the way. Assuming full health for all of these players the rest of the way ( :lmao: ), I'd expect that to break down like this:

9 Gates

7 Stevie

6 Woodhead

5 Floyd

5 Inman

5 Green

2 Gordon

1 Oliver

1 Phillips

Any word on S. Johnson's groin injury?

Haven't heard a peep.

Have him as WR depth but if he's going to be out for a couple weeks I've got some playoff blocking to do.

Any word on S. Johnson's groin injury?

Haven't heard a peep.

Have him as WR depth but if he's going to be out for a couple weeks I've got some playoff blocking to do.
Didn't practice Weds or Thurs. Haven't seen anything predicting when he might return.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him end up on IR in a lost season.
He has two good matchups left with MIA and @OAK, but I'm not sure the SD offense can take advantage at this point.

Is everyone dropping?
Dropped him for Hightower. I'll monitor and consider picking him back up if he's healthy, but even when he was playing this year, it's not like he was tearing it up. He's a serviceable WR who hasn't exceeded 100 yards once all season.

I dropped him. He was the only WR game in town for Rivers 2 weeks ago, put up a stat line like I had hoped. Very good game. Then last week struck, disaster. Groin injuries are not easy to recover from, even if he's on the field he will likely be limited or he could go out at at any time. Parker has taken his spot and I have also added Wheaton and Lockette where applicable.

FYI he's officially out for this week. Agree that groin injury makes it hard to trust him even if he's back next week (look at John Brown earlier this season).

NFL Network's Michael Silver reports Chargers WR Stevie Johnson tore his meniscus during practice Sunday and will undergo surgery "soon."
This is perhaps the best-case scenario for Johnson after he had to be carried off the field Sunday. Depending on the severity of the injury, Johnson could end up missing weeks instead of months. Still, it is extremely unlikely he will be ready for Week 1. Dontrelle Inman should be the next man up.

Source: Michael Silver on Twitter

Roto seems to think Inman gets the bump with the stevie injury. But surely it's Travis Benjamin?
I think Benjamin is already a starter, with Stevie playing the slot wr3 role.  Inman is roto's pick to inherrit the wr3 spot as I read it.

I think Benjamin is already a starter, with Stevie playing the slot wr3 role.  Inman is roto's pick to inherrit the wr3 spot as I read it.
I think roto is overlooking Tyrell Williams but we'll see 

Users who are viewing this thread