What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steven Jackson's ESPN Fantasy Article (1 Viewer)

dwashington

Footballguy
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...tory?id=3039650

Don't count me out just yet, because I will be back!

The groin is an unpredictable thing ... and I'm actually saying that with a straight face. You ESPNers have been really good to me in the comments, so I want to give you as much info as possible. I want to see you win your leagues, I really do. But the thing is, I don't have much to go on.

Football is my job, just like your job might be -- I don't know -- let's just make you an attorney. Say you get sick, maybe come down with a really bad flu. You take a couple of days off, drink your liquids, and hope that the next morning, when you wake up, you're ready to go to work. That's how an injury is for a professional athlete. I want to be out there, and I have the greatest team of doctors and wellness experts helping me to get better as soon as possible. At this point it is tough to say when that will be, but I am hopeful that it will be sooner rather than later.

Just so all my fantasy owners out there know, this isn't one of those situations where I'm sitting on my couch watching television and eating cheese balls. I'm working! I'm doing every possible thing I can do to get back on that field and get us a win. And then another win. And then another. Seriously, 100 percent of my energy is focused on getting better. OK, 99.5 percent of my energy is focused on getting better, and 0.5 percent is focused on writing this column. But I consider it cooling down from working out.

And where does this leave us? Like I said last week, I want this team to win, and I will do everything in my power to make that happen. So for Week 4, I'm getting Brian Leonard ready for the Cowboys. We're watching game film, I'm giving him little tips on players and defensive schemes.

Keep in mind, Brian is still a rookie. He's talented, and I think he's going to have a huge game against Dallas, but if there's even one little thing that I can tell him while we're watching some tape -- maybe if it only results in an extra yard for him -- I'm giving it. We're banged up and we need a win. Remember when I told you last week how I thought Marc Bulger was gutsy in that Week 2 game? Turns out he was playing with broken ribs. That's gutsy, man. Broken ribs, and he's acting like nothing's wrong.

So, yeah, I'm really down about not being able to play this week. Believe me, if I could, I would. I hope all you "handcuffers" went out and got Brian, though. Even if you don't have me on your team, you should still get him. And then maybe trade for me while you're at it ... I'm going to be back, and I'm going to do everything in my power to get this team back on the right side of .500. For this week, though, since I am forced to stand on the sideline and watch, my job has gone from "run and catch" to "get well and teach." So consider Brian the Man With Two Brains against the Cowboys. He's got his in there, and he's got me in there with him.

Best of luck to all you fantasy owners this week. I wish I could be out there getting you points, but hopefully you'll see me running and cutting soon.

Rams running back Steven Jackson is a weekly contributor to ESPN.com Fantasy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...tory?id=3039650

Don't count me out just yet, because I will be back!

The groin is an unpredictable thing ... and I'm actually saying that with a straight face. You ESPNers have been really good to me in the comments, so I want to give you as much info as possible. I want to see you win your leagues, I really do. But the thing is, I don't have much to go on.

Football is my job, just like your job might be -- I don't know -- let's just make you an attorney. Say you get sick, maybe come down with a really bad flu. You take a couple of days off, drink your liquids, and hope that the next morning, when you wake up, you're ready to go to work. That's how an injury is for a professional athlete. I want to be out there, and I have the greatest team of doctors and wellness experts helping me to get better as soon as possible. At this point it is tough to say when that will be, but I am hopeful that it will be sooner rather than later.

Just so all my fantasy owners out there know, this isn't one of those situations where I'm sitting on my couch watching television and eating cheese balls. I'm working! I'm doing every possible thing I can do to get back on that field and get us a win. And then another win. And then another. Seriously, 100 percent of my energy is focused on getting better. OK, 99.5 percent of my energy is focused on getting better, and 0.5 percent is focused on writing this column. But I consider it cooling down from working out.

And where does this leave us? Like I said last week, I want this team to win, and I will do everything in my power to make that happen. So for Week 4, I'm getting Brian Leonard ready for the Cowboys. We're watching game film, I'm giving him little tips on players and defensive schemes.

Keep in mind, Brian is still a rookie. He's talented, and I think he's going to have a huge game against Dallas, but if there's even one little thing that I can tell him while we're watching some tape -- maybe if it only results in an extra yard for him -- I'm giving it. We're banged up and we need a win. Remember when I told you last week how I thought Marc Bulger was gutsy in that Week 2 game? Turns out he was playing with broken ribs. That's gutsy, man. Broken ribs, and he's acting like nothing's wrong.

So, yeah, I'm really down about not being able to play this week. Believe me, if I could, I would. I hope all you "handcuffers" went out and got Brian, though. Even if you don't have me on your team, you should still get him. And then maybe trade for me while you're at it ... I'm going to be back, and I'm going to do everything in my power to get this team back on the right side of .500. For this week, though, since I am forced to stand on the sideline and watch, my job has gone from "run and catch" to "get well and teach." So consider Brian the Man With Two Brains against the Cowboys. He's got his in there, and he's got me in there with him.

Best of luck to all you fantasy owners this week. I wish I could be out there getting you points, but hopefully you'll see me running and cutting soon.

I like SJax..he's good peoples. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you expect him to say?
The funny part, is that in his article last week he said,
So here's something I thought would be cool to address -- and maybe you all can help flush this out in the comments (which I've been reading, and I appreciate the love, ESPNers) -- this "handcuff" strategy in fantasy is kind of funny. I mean, we've got Brian Leonard here in St. Louis. I'm trying to take him under my wing, show him the ropes, get him acclimated to life in the NFL. And I find out that some of you guys who own me also own him, in case I get hurt? People! That is not a good omen! I mean, it's great if you want him on your team just to have him -- I don't know if you noticed this, but he caught a couple passes last week for 20-plus yards -- but just don't have him there in case I get hurt. My goal is to play 16 games this regular season, and then get us holding that trophy on the stage with all the confetti coming down on us a few games later. If I get 200 yards a game, and Brian gets 100, then we're all good. In fact, I'd be ecstatic. So let's look at this "handcuff" situation like that: All of you with both of us on your team are expecting us both to plow down the field and score touchdowns in bunches.

odds that he's actually writing that instead of a publicist?
I'm sure he has some form of 'coaching' /ghost writing going on with his articles.
I'm sure he has an editor, but every writer at ESPN goes through an editor. I don't see why he couldn't write these articles on his own, and the assumption that he can't has me :popcorn: .
not an operative word found in either post. more like "won't," or "can't be bothered to." ;) lighten up, francis.

I'm sure he has some form of 'coaching' /ghost writing going on with his articles.
I'm sure he has an editor, but every writer at ESPN goes through an editor. I don't see why he couldn't write these articles on his own, and the assumption that he can't has me :rolleyes: .
I'm not sure the assumption is that he can't, but really, how hard is it to get an intern to ghost write with him? I don't see how the question is insulting in any way.

I'm sure he has an editor, but every writer at ESPN goes through an editor. I don't see why he couldn't write these articles on his own, and the assumption that he can't has me :rolleyes: .
not an operative word found in either post. more like "won't," or "can't be bothered to." :tfp: lighten up, francis.
Well it's another case of people buying into stereotypes which IS :rolleyes:

Steven Jackson is going to be a lot less optimistic in 3 weeks when he is still sitting out with a torn groin.

Steven Jackson is going to be a lot less optimistic in 3 weeks when he is still sitting out with a torn groin.
As a Steven Jackson owner (who also grabbed Leonard off the WW), I'm hoping they don't rush him back too soon.The Rams bye is in Week 9, I have no problem having him come back at full strength in Week 10.

I'm sure he has an editor, but every writer at ESPN goes through an editor. I don't see why he couldn't write these articles on his own, and the assumption that he can't has me :lmao: .
not an operative word found in either post. more like "won't," or "can't be bothered to." :lmao: lighten up, francis.
Well it's another case of people buying into stereotypes which IS :lmao:
How about using PMs rather than subjecting everyone to reading this crap which has no bearing on the conversation. :lmao:

I also had Fred Taylor the year that he ripped his groin from the bone. But instead of announcing he was out for the year, Coughlin listed him as Questionable every game for about 8 weeks before they finally put him on IR.

Despite the severity of Taylor's injury, he was actually able to start running in a straight line about a month after the injury, he just never could cut.

Steven Jackson's injury is not nearly as severe (40% tear) and in a much better location (toward the end of the groin).

A letter specifically addressed to fantasy owners? What more can you ask for! SJax is classy :thumbup:

Man, it's so weird this year to see players (TO, SJax, etc) personally address fantasy owners.

A letter specifically addressed to fantasy owners? What more can you ask for! SJax is classy :thumbup:Man, it's so weird this year to see players (TO, SJax, etc) personally address fantasy owners.
I remember Gruden did it last year. Told Clayton owners not to panic and that Clayton would get his...

Here's the latest Steven Jackson article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...tory?id=3048807

ESPNers, I am sorry to tell you this & especially all my owners out there:

You're going to have to sit me for another week. I'm not going to play in Week 5.

So, start my man Brian Leonard again. Sixteen carries for 58 yards. I hope you all were watching, because that's what I like to call an "auspicious rookie debut." Without a doubt, we'll see him build on that this week against Arizona. We're back home, he's looking great in practice and this team needs a win. Badly. And I wish I could be out there to help, but I just can't do it; the mind is willing, but the body isn't having it. Not yet, at least.

In the meantime, let me give you an exclusive look at a typical day in the life of Steven Jackson ... with a rehab twist:

•Wake up and immediately go ice

•Drive 20 minutes to practice

•Go to work and have breakfast

•Work with the team trainers

•Move on to flexibility and strengthening work

•Go to team meetings

•Watch practice (seriously, Leonard looks good)

•Rehab work (I'm skipping lunch to rehab. It's my choice, and I think my time is better spent getting back than eating lunch.)

•Head to the night meetings

•Then go home for dinner

And that's where I stand right now. I'm feeling a lot better this week, but I still can't play. I can, however, give you some fantasy advice. Get my guys. Torry Holt, Drew Bennett, Isaac Bruce, Randy McMichael -- we are bound to start clicking soon. We are just too talented to be stuck at 0-4. Remember, we had a tough stretch last season after Orlando Pace went down, but once the O-line had some time together to gel, it turned it on, and we won four of our last six. I think we're pretty much due for that now.

And how about Gus Frerotte? I tell you what, he's with us in the locker room, he's been taking a lot of snaps in practice and he looks real sharp. In fact, throw him on the list with Torry, Drew, Isaac and Randy. Gus is good, ESPNers. Don't hesitate to add him to your fantasy teams. As for Marc Bulger, well, we all know he's a warrior -- he's been playing with two broken ribs! I mean, even an accountant can't go to work with two broken ribs, and Marc was out there getting sacked by 275-pound linebackers. That's tough.

On a lighter, note, you all know I went to OSU, right? So I bleed orange. Last weekend, we were up 14-12 with less than eight minutes to go and then lost after UCLA scored four fourth-quarter TDs. Totally crushed me. And to make matters worse, Drew Bennett and Brandon Chillar are Bruins and wouldn't let me forget about it. But I'm not worried about the Beavers. Coach Mike Riley will right the ship and get them going soon, no doubt about it.

For those of you in St. Louis who want more Rams talk, you can hear me Thursday nights on KLOU (103.3 on your FM dial), where I host "The Steven Jackson Show."

For now, though, it's back to the gym. I am absolutely gunning to get back on the field soon. I have a lot of pent up energy that I'm just dying to release on some unsuspecting defense!

Good luck this week to all of you with my Rams on your teams. And, I suppose, to those of you still not believing ... but more luck to those of you with Rams.

Talk to you in seven days!

Week 5 Article

I know I'm beginning to sound a little like a broken record by telling you I will be back, so I will just be really brief this week, and let all my owners out there know that the injury is feeling better -- a lot better -- but I'm just trying to get to the point where I won't risk injuring it again when I get back. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm getting closer every day. Lots of hard work. Lots of sweat. A whole lot of anxiety wanting to get back. And I'm still skipping lunch to do rehab.
I will try my best to get back next week and get the Rams and your fantasy teams back on track. Until then, best of luck in beating up on your opponents.
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...tory?id=3058606

Users who are viewing this thread