What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Start 2 QB & Superflex Leagues: Discussion and Strategy thread (1 Viewer)

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Normally any time passing TDs are 6 points, you take the 2 best QBs available with your first two picks and don't look back.

But this particular scenario is interesting. Can you hold onto your 2 keepers forever, with no draft-pick penalty beyond the roster slot itself? If so, and Luck goes 1.01 (which he will), I'd tempt fate and grab OBJ at #2, hoping that my leaguemates will let two decent QB options fall to me at 19 and 22. Not having a true QB1 might cost you 50-75 points of VBD this season, but you'll earn back a lot more than that over time with a stud like OBJ vs. what I'd expect from Dez or Cooks over the next few years.
I am allowed to keep any two players just not the same two as the year prior. So, in theory I could keep OBJ forever, yes. However, I am almost certain He will go 1.01

I'd go Zeke or OBJ at #2.

Especially when you have to start 7 RB/WR each week. 

I'm curious why the draft dominator is spitting out the QBs so high... 

OBJ is going to outscore the #40 or 50 WR by more points than any of those QBs are going to outscore the QB20. 
I think his ranking w/r/t the other qbs is due to the fact I am already keeping two wr, so the DD is telling me there are more valuable players to be had. Just a guess tho

I am allowed to keep any two players just not the same two as the year prior. So, in theory I could keep OBJ forever, yes. However, I am almost certain He will go 1.01
I love the way you capitalized "He" for OBJ. It's basically the way every Giants fan in my neighborhood acts ...  :tebow:

Maybe I'm the dumb one, but I can't fathom why anyone would have a chance to take Andrew Luck at 1.01 in a 6-pt, 2QB league and pass on the opportunity. It's basically "set it and forget it" at the most important position in your league for the next 10+ years.

Def take Luck if he makes it to you. If Beckham goes 1st, take Luck. You can draft a RB equivalent to Elliott next year. There's at least two of them.

If Luck goes first, I would probably agree about passing on QB to take Beckham. There are guys with both short and long term upside like Tyrod, Winston, Mariota that could still be there at 19/22. QB scoring drops off around QB24. Make sure you get 2 good starters.

I love the way you capitalized "He" for OBJ. It's basically the way every Giants fan in my neighborhood acts ...  :tebow:

Maybe I'm the dumb one, but I can't fathom why anyone would have a chance to take Andrew Luck at 1.01 in a 6-pt, 2QB league and pass on the opportunity. It's basically "set it and forget it" at the most important position in your league for the next 10+ years.
yeah thats the thing, there are 4-5 qbs who werent kept that could absolutely be the qb1 this year

Is your thought process behind taking luck that I can own him forever and so I should? I dont necessarily disagree, im just curious why else you would take him over brees or ben

I guess it depends upon if you think Luck is a 40 TD guy every year. If he is, then you have to take him there. 

But if you think Luck is more of a ~35 TD per year guy, then I don't know if the math adds up in taking him at the very top vs. another position. Even in two QB leagues, the position is really deep. You're only talking about 20 starters. There were more than 20 QBs who scored 22+ points per game in 6 point TD last year (and per 20 passing). Luck and Brees were in the 26-27 PPG range. So you're getting something like a 5 PPG advantage by having an elite QB vs. having Flacco, Mariota, etc. Andy Dalton was ahead of Brees through 12 games and I'm sure you could get him later, so it's no guarantee you're even giving up the ~5 PPG.

By the same token, the elite WRs and RBs last year came in at 20-23 PPG. Replacement level when you're playing 7 RB/WR each week was only 11 PPG. So having an elite option gives you a 9-12 PPG advantage. (The discussion about whether Elliott or any of those other guys will be elite is for another topic though I guess.)

I'll put a couple names to it just to provide some context as to why I think I'd personally consider waiting on QB. OBJ (22) plus Kirk Cousins (24) gave you 46 PPG. Drew Brees (27) plus Randall Cobb (13) gave you 40 PPG. 

I guess it depends upon if you think Luck is a 40 TD guy every year. If he is, then you have to take him there. 

But if you think Luck is more of a ~35 TD per year guy, then I don't know if the math adds up in taking him at the very top vs. another position. Even in two QB leagues, the position is really deep. You're only talking about 20 starters. There were more than 20 QBs who scored 22+ points per game in 6 point TD last year (and per 20 passing). Luck and Brees were in the 26-27 PPG range. So you're getting something like a 5 PPG advantage by having an elite QB vs. having Flacco, Mariota, etc. Andy Dalton was ahead of Brees through 12 games and I'm sure you could get him later, so it's no guarantee you're even giving up the ~5 PPG.

By the same token, the elite WRs and RBs last year came in at 20-23 PPG. Replacement level when you're playing 7 RB/WR each week was only 11 PPG. So having an elite option gives you a 9-12 PPG advantage. (The discussion about whether Elliott or any of those other guys will be elite is for another topic though I guess.)

I'll put a couple names to it just to provide some context as to why I think I'd personally consider waiting on QB. OBJ (22) plus Kirk Cousins (24) gave you 46 PPG. Drew Brees (27) plus Randall Cobb (13) gave you 40 PPG. 
All good points. However, I have a feeling that the gap between the top-end QBs and the "field", and thus the perceived positional scarcity, will start to widen once the unprecedented number of elite and near-elite guys in their 30s start to retire in a couple of years. It's a lot easier to wait on QB (in a 1-QB league, to use an example) when the likely worst-case scenario is someone like Rivers. It's another thing entirely if that mid-range guy is closer to Bridgewater or Ryan-like stats.

Combine that with the obvious longevity advantage you get from elite QBs (I'm a lot more confident betting on Luck being a top-5 option in, say, 2024 than I am OBJ), and I think it's a toss-up at worst - and this coming from someone who has never owned a Luck share in his life.

All good points. However, I have a feeling that the gap between the top-end QBs and the "field", and thus the perceived positional scarcity, will start to widen once the unprecedented number of elite and near-elite guys in their 30s start to retire in a couple of years. It's a lot easier to wait on QB (in a 1-QB league, to use an example) when the likely worst-case scenario is someone like Rivers. It's another thing entirely if that mid-range guy is closer to Bridgewater or Ryan-like stats.

Combine that with the obvious longevity advantage you get from elite QBs (I'm a lot more confident betting on Luck being a top-5 option in, say, 2024 than I am OBJ), and I think it's a toss-up at worst - and this coming from someone who has never owned a Luck share in his life.
I understand the argument, but I also think that there's a pretty good counter-argument that quarterbacks are also dependent upon their surroundings to put up an "elite" season. We just saw it last year with Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck (before the injury), who were outscored by Andy Dalton, Kirk Cousins and those types of guys and were both on the low-end QB1 trajectory. 

I also think that there's an argument that with the influx of young QBs (including some guys who can run and thus have a lower passing bar for fantasy relevancy), these late 30s guys are going to simply be replaced by other good options. Bortles and Carr arrived in 2014. Mariota and Winston are on their way from the 2015 class. Carson Wentz could be a nice fantasy player because he can run. DeShaun Watson is coming next year. Josh Rosen is a massive talent and coming in two years. And on down the line...With careers of 12-15 years now the norm, we only need to have 1 or 2 QBs added to the top 20 mix each year for there to be plenty of depth for many years. 

One last point on QB depth...With Brees and Brady in their late 30s and showing no signs of slowing down, it's not crazy to think we see at 5 more QB1 years out of guys like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Eli Manning, etc. The longer shelf lives for these franchise QBs is dragging down QB value across the board because QB20 is a legit fantasy option. We could see the QB position devalued further. 

Looking for some guidance from you guys with more experience.

Our league converted to superflex this year.  12 team PPR.  4 pt per TD pass.  Mix of serious and lesser-so guys.

I'm guessing with the newness most guys are going to go QB early and often.  I'm strongly thinking of going late round QB to counter.  Maybe target Stafford/Ryan/Tanny and just take WR/RB until round 7 or 8ish.

Am I way off base here?

My main 2 questions are:
1.  Will I just get killed starting those types of QB's?
2.  Can I legititmately wait that long or will virtually every QB under the sun be snapped up long before the 8th round?

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find out. I can't predict what the other people in your league will do but I doubt any good quarterbacks will be around in round 8.

Our league converted to superflex this year.  12 team PPR.  4 pt per TD pass.  Mix of serious and lesser-so guys.

I'm guessing with the newness most guys are going to go QB early and often.  I'm strongly thinking of going late round QB to counter.  Maybe target Stafford/Ryan/Tanny and just take WR/RB until round 7 or 8ish.

Am I way off base here?

My main 2 questions are:
2.  Can I legititmately wait that long or will virtually every QB under the sun be snapped up long before the 8th round?
I'm in a 12 team, super-flex, non-ppr and have draft data back to 2002.

We see a minimum of 19 QBs to be off the board by the end of the 6th round and as many as 23.  Since you are in a PPR maybe you will be at the low end of that range, if your guys are paying attention, but since it's the first year of the new configuration you should be prepared for the high end.

If you're lucky you'll get one of your targets but I think you are looking at something like a Blaine Gabbert, Teddy Bridgewater or Sam Bradford as your #2 QB.

Am I way off base here?

My main 2 questions are:
I'm in the 3rd year of a 12-team 2 QB, 2 TE league where all TDs are six points. I have now finished in 3rd in both seasons and a points leader for both seasons until losing at the very end (prize $ for being #1 in points).

In the first year I drafted Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson in Rounds 1 & 2. I picked early in the 1st and was able to gobble up Rodgers. Both had great seasons.

Last year I was picking at the end of the round. I felt that taking a QB after all the top guys had gone was a waste of a 1st round pick and I held off (I also used the Draft Dominator last year for the first time). Later on I took a gamble on Andy Dalton and Tyrod Taylor was my top 2 (also snagged Jameis Winston). It paid off, but it easily could have backfired. I got pretty lucky. I'm a Bills fan so I was high on Tyrod but I don't think anybody saw Dalton coming.

The only advise I really have is that you need to evaluate the draft based on your draft position. If you're going early on, strong consideration should be made to select a QB with your 1st round pick. If not, you may want to consider someone else (I believe I took Gronk at the end of round 1 in year 2). I do my own statistical projections and use that for my draft rankings and I don't feel good about any of the QBs ranked 25th and lower. You don't HAVE to get a QB in the first round. Actually I think the guy that has won it 2 out of the 3 years went RB/WR in the first 2 rounds and went QBs after that.

Generally if I don't have a shot at the top 5 QBs, I'll go to another area and make up for the loss in points somewhere else. I'd link you to my league from last year but the Commish still hasn't started it up yet so I can't access it.

Am I way off base here?
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but last year in 4 pt/pass TD league scoring, the difference between QB5 and QB20 was something like 2.5ppg.

I would grab one stud early if I could, but then wait until just before the final dying gasp of starters go off the board and get yourself three QB2s in the 21-30 range. Yes, three. With 12 teams, several teams won't have a starter to use for bye-week coverage, and even the very dregs of the starters' ranks will offer more trade value than you'd expect come mid-season.

Where that run occurs will differ league by league. It could start in the 6th round, or in the 10th. Get yours regardless. Better safe than sorry.

After a bunch of mocks I am planning on using the following strategy:

Late round QB + Last to take a TE

I basically load up on WR & RB.  Then I pounce at around round 6 on the Tanny/Ryan Tier.  By then most others are scourimng for WR/RB and leave those scraps to me.    I then take 2 more a bit later  (RG3, Smith, Gabbert)in case both suck and also it helps mine for that Late round QB diamond.  I just don't see the benefit of going QB early even in 2 QB leagues.

Tanny/Ryan Tier is still 4200+ and 25TD+

just joined neighborhood fantasy league. weird scoring with a 2 qb superflex. passing td 7 points.. rushing and receiving only 6 pts. probably will go QB QB unless 2nd round theres only garbage left then ill go after top receivers. will keep you updated stay tuned fellas

I'm in the 3rd year of a 12-team 2 QB, 2 TE league where all TDs are six points. I have now finished in 3rd in both seasons and a points leader for both seasons until losing at the very end (prize $ for being #1 in points).

In the first year I drafted Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson in Rounds 1 & 2. I picked early in the 1st and was able to gobble up Rodgers. Both had great seasons.

Last year I was picking at the end of the round. I felt that taking a QB after all the top guys had gone was a waste of a 1st round pick and I held off (I also used the Draft Dominator last year for the first time). Later on I took a gamble on Andy Dalton and Tyrod Taylor was my top 2 (also snagged Jameis Winston). It paid off, but it easily could have backfired. I got pretty lucky. I'm a Bills fan so I was high on Tyrod but I don't think anybody saw Dalton coming.

The only advise I really have is that you need to evaluate the draft based on your draft position. If you're going early on, strong consideration should be made to select a QB with your 1st round pick. If not, you may want to consider someone else (I believe I took Gronk at the end of round 1 in year 2). I do my own statistical projections and use that for my draft rankings and I don't feel good about any of the QBs ranked 25th and lower. You don't HAVE to get a QB in the first round. Actually I think the guy that has won it 2 out of the 3 years went RB/WR in the first 2 rounds and went QBs after that.

Generally if I don't have a shot at the top 5 QBs, I'll go to another area and make up for the loss in points somewhere else. I'd link you to my league from last year but the Commish still hasn't started it up yet so I can't access it.
My memory is fuzzy I guess. I picked #4 and took AP. I now remember the strategy at #4. If Luck and Rodgers were gone, I'd go RB. Luckily they both went ahead of me (I didn't expect such down years).

Here is the link: http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/1117640/history/2015/draftresults?draftResultsTab=round&draftResultsType=results

If you click on the drop down it will also show you previous years. Keep in mind our scoring system: 2QB/2RB/3WR/2TE/1K/2DEF/1IDP & all TDs are 6 points.

I have a problem with dropping players too early. It's something I'm consciously aware of, so when I try to be patient I get burnt (kept Lacy in another league all year). I drafted Dalton round 5, Bortles 7, Winston 9, Tyrod 16. The goal was to find one of them that performed well. All of them ended up doing so, although I cut Bortles and Winston after poor starts to the season. I really dug myself a hole for bye weeks and when Dalton got injured and it ultimately led to me being knocked out of the playoffs with McCarron as my starter and finished 3rd.

End of year rankings: Bortles 4th, Winston 15th, Tyrod 17th, Dalton 18th. The last 2 obviously lost games to injury. Tyrod pro-rated would have been 12th, and Dalton pro-rated would have been 8th. So I would have had the 4th, 8th, 12th, 15th ranked QBs in a 12-team start 2 QB league which would have really put other teams at a disadvantage had I remained patient and they all stayed healthy.

I guess the point I'm making is that the philosophy worked out well of waiting until round 5 or so to go with the first QB and then take what the draft gives you. I did use draft dominator last year and that guided me pretty well. There were times when I trusted the program instead of doing what I would have otherwise done on my own. I listed to the program in terms of selecting a position and went with the guy I liked. The year before I didn't use the dominator and finished 3rd as well.

I still like this philosophy. Wait on a mid-range QB. Every year there are some guys who outperform their ADP, it's just typical. If you bust on a QB in the mid-rounds it hurts a lot less than taking Rodgers or Luck in the top 3 like happened with 2 of these guys. I also like the idea of drafting several QBs as it gives you options if something happens and always keeps your competition weaker as they'll have a weak 2nd QB and/or no backup QB options.

Another thought in these types of leagues is to target your 2 QBs with later bye weeks. Someone is bound to be injured/benched during the year which opens up WW possibilities for your backup. You could elect to not even draft a 3rd QB and roll with this method. Rivers, Carr, Tyrod, Osweiler, Ryan, Dalton etc. Guys with bye weeks 8,9,10 and later on gives you several weeks to come up with a backup option. Someone could be foolish like me and drop someone because they have no patience which would be an ideal WW pickup.

It is good that nobody showed interest. It frees up my time and I would have kicked all your asses anyway.

Resurrecting this thread. Curious to hear everyone's strategies for 2QB/Superflex Leagues and how you would tier QBs going into 2017, specifically in dynasty. What do you guys think of Dak, is he the next great fantasy QB or simply a good NFL QB / solid dynasty QB? What do you think Matt Ryan will do next year and beyond?

Resurrecting this thread. Curious to hear everyone's strategies for 2QB/Superflex Leagues and how you would tier QBs going into 2017, specifically in dynasty. What do you guys think of Dak, is he the next great fantasy QB or simply a good NFL QB / solid dynasty QB? What do you think Matt Ryan will do next year and beyond?
*crickets*

Any interest in this topic? 

*crickets*

Any interest in this topic? 
I play in a lot of Supeflex dyno leagues. Dak was an afterthought last year. I play in one league where we can only carry four QB's. Dak was the 4.12.

Nevertheless, from a Superflex strategy standpoint it really depends on how many points a passing TD is. I play in a couple where it is only 3 pts per passing TD. Really devalues the QB. I play in others where it is 6 pts (you won't win without having two solid QB's). Of course there is other roster and scoring criteria that comes into play, but that is what makes it fun. Most Superflex leagues are 4 pts per passing TD. This is the norm. 

Dak was #10 QB in PPG. He had 30 total TD and 8 turnovers. I expect Dallas to remain run first and continue to be a good offense. TD production should be consistent, passing yards might go up a little, but 4000 seems like a soft limit unless/until he develops a lot. I don't expect him to break out into the elite tier, it's possible but hard. I don't see any reason to pursue a sideways deal for someone like Mariota or Carr but I would prefer those guys.

I think Matt Ryan is an elite QB going forward. Fantasywise the biggest difference from previous years is 38 TDs, but his performance was up across the board. Maybe it is a career year, but I still think his expected production is high. I would favor 5-8 years from him over 5-15 years from the 22-25 year olds I don't see the same ceiling from.

I have no doubt in Cam bouncing back next year but I view his age as less important than mileage and accumulating wear. I would take Rodgers, Luck, and Ryan over him. I have a little more confidence in Russell's floor.

I would tier it

Code:
Luck
Rodgers
-
Ryan
Cam - Treat him more like he's 32 than 27 due to injury
Wilson - Cam still has more upside but tempted to prefer him
-
Cousins - Volume + wins = more volume coming
Mariota
Carr
Prescott
Winston
Stafford - Unexciting but safe for long time
Wentz - Big question is can he throw downfield if his WR improve
-
Roethlisberger - Expect 3-4 elite years
Brady - Expect 2 elite years
Brees - Expect 1-2 elite years
Garoppolo - Feels like a better gamble at this point than Goff and Bortles
-
Dalton - Worse version of Stafford
Tyrod - How many more years does he get to start
Goff
Bortles
Rivers
Flacco - Low ceiling but safe QB3 or serviceable QB2 
Smith
Tannehill
Lynch
Romo
-
Savage
Brissett
Bradford - Gets one more year to dink and dunk
Glennon
Osweiler
Cutler - Can be high volume QB if he finds good home outside of CHI
Kaepernick
Petty
Palmer
Bridgewater 
-
Boykin
Siemian
Geno
Hundley
Cardale
Hackenberg
Kessler
Foles
Barkley
Moore
RG3
Stanton

This is my first post, long time lurker, but I play in a superflex dynasty myself and there's not a whole lot of content out there specifically related to this format. We had our startup last year. The winning team this year had Wilson/Brees as his QB's. I had traded him Jordan Howard for his 1st round pick very early in the year. Wasnt sure if Howard would keep the job and thought I was getting value for him. Had been turned down by a few owners for a 1st for Howard at this point so took it. Looking back, probably a mistake as it ended up being the 1.10 pick.

I would be interested on hearing some speculation in here regarding next season. I have Rodgers as my QB1 but have Bortles currently as my only other viable option. I picked up McCarron and Glennon at the end of the season, though. Hoping one of them lands a starting job somewhere serviceable otherwise I'll have to trade for a QB, which is difficult as most owners are fairly new to dynasty and dont really know how to assign value. For example Romo was traded by team A to team B for James Starks whereas another owner wanted Rodgers and the 1.07 for Mariota.

For the record, our top 5 QB's last year were:  (4 points passing TD, -2 points INT, 1 point per 25 passing yards)

1. Rodgers - 345.82 points
  2. Ryan - 318.02 points
  3. Brees - 312.32 points
  4. Luck - 289.16 points
  5. Cousins - 288.8 points

This is my first post, long time lurker, but I play in a superflex dynasty myself and there's not a whole lot of content out there specifically related to this format. We had our startup last year. The winning team this year had Wilson/Brees as his QB's. I had traded him Jordan Howard for his 1st round pick very early in the year. Wasnt sure if Howard would keep the job and thought I was getting value for him. Had been turned down by a few owners for a 1st for Howard at this point so took it. Looking back, probably a mistake as it ended up being the 1.10 pick.

I would be interested on hearing some speculation in here regarding next season. I have Rodgers as my QB1 but have Bortles currently as my only other viable option. I picked up McCarron and Glennon at the end of the season, though. Hoping one of them lands a starting job somewhere serviceable otherwise I'll have to trade for a QB, which is difficult as most owners are fairly new to dynasty and dont really know how to assign value. For example Romo was traded by team A to team B for James Starks whereas another owner wanted Rodgers and the 1.07 for Mariota.

For the record, our top 5 QB's last year were:  (4 points passing TD, -2 points INT, 1 point per 25 passing yards)

1. Rodgers - 345.82 points
  2. Ryan - 318.02 points
  3. Brees - 312.32 points
  4. Luck - 289.16 points
  5. Cousins - 288.8 points
Picking up Glennon and AJ could be genius. Shocked they were even available in a SF. This gives you a lot of options down the road if both become starters. Moves like this could put you right into contention when other teams come knocking on your door for a QB. 

I played in a league like this this year for the 4th year in a row.  It's a re-draft.  Start 2/2/2/2 and 1 non-QB flex.  Fairly basic scoring.

I had come in 2nd, 2nd, 3rd and, this year, I won it.

My draft is below.  With not many exceptions, it's the team I ended up with.

David Johnson Ari

Andrew Luck Ind

Alshon Jeffery Chi

Drew Brees NO

Demaryius Thomas Den

Zach Ertz Phi

DeMarco Murray Ten

Dwayne Allen Ind

Michael Floyd Ari

Melvin Gordon SD

Tony Romo Dal

Frank Gore Ind

Sterling Shepard NYG

Dan Bailey Dal

Kansas City KC

Here are the value based draft numbers for 1 point for receptions leagues using QB 24 RB 24 WR 36 TE 12 as baselines and a 3 year average of the 2014-2016 seasons.

VBD    Position
207.80    RB 1
199.92    QB 1
181.34    WR 1
162.10    WR 2
155.30    RB 2
152.71    QB 2
147.60    WR 3
146.53    QB 3
145.60    RB 3
138.44    WR 4
133.27    QB 4
122.17    WR 5
120.53    RB 4
117.04    QB 5
110.97    WR 6
110.63    RB 5
108.13    QB 6
105.60    RB 6
100.94    WR 7
98.52    QB 7
98.33    TE 1
98.10    WR 8
96.77    QB 8
93.73    QB 9
90.94    QB 10
89.16    QB 11
88.49    WR 9
86.61    QB 12
84.14    QB 13
82.80    WR 10
81.47    RB 7
80.64    WR 11
80.46    QB 14
77.77    TE 2
76.94    WR 12
75.87    RB 8
74.87    TE 3
73.88    QB 15
70.49    QB 16
67.54    WR 13
66.07    TE 4
64.47    RB 9
63.35    QB 17
62.20    WR 14
62.10    TE 5
58.30    RB 10
57.27    WR 15
54.45    QB 18
52.77    RB 11
51.64    WR 16
49.34    WR 17
48.33    RB 12
44.40    WR 18
43.60    RB 13
42.98    WR 19
40.87    QB 19
40.47    RB 14
38.60    WR 20
35.97    WR 21
34.40    RB 15
34.10    TE 6
32.14    WR 22
31.83    RB 16
30.97    WR 23
30.13    RB 17
29.30    TE 7
29.23    RB 18
29.19    QB 20
28.54    WR 24
28.13    TE 8
26.77    WR 25
25.33    RB 19
24.04    WR 26
21.37    WR 27
20.61    QB 21
18.63    RB 20
17.73    TE 9
17.40    WR 28
16.40    WR 29
15.43    TE 10
13.63    QB 22
12.97    WR 30
12.43    RB 21
10.67    WR 31
9.69    WR 32
8.57    WR 33
8.13    RB 22
8.10    QB 23
7.50    TE 11
7.20    WR 34
5.43    RB 23
3.54    WR 35
2.17    WR 36
1.24    WR 37
0.03    TE 12
0.00    WR 38
0.00    QB 24
0.00    RB 24

In my 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 2 TD, 1 K, 1 IDP league I decided not to go QB early on. It all depends on your league. I looked through past drafts to see the same teams winning each year and what strategy they used. They typically waited until round 3 to grab their first QB and took the top RB/WR available early on. I used this strategy last year and finished 3rd. The year before I drafted Rodgers and Wilson and finished 3rd again. This year I won it all with this draft.

Antonio Brown

Le'Veon Bell

LeSean McCoy

Jordan Reed

Eli Manning

Jameis Winston

Josh Gordon

Zach Ertz

Michael Crabtree

Joe Flacco

Marvin Jones

Isaiah Crowell

Mohamed Sanu

New York Jets

Christine Michael

Spencer Ware

Jesse James

Baltimore Ravens

Adam Vinatieri

Jamie Collins

In my 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 2 TD, 1 K, 1 IDP league I decided not to go QB early on. It all depends on your league. I looked through past drafts to see the same teams winning each year and what strategy they used. They typically waited until round 3 to grab their first QB and took the top RB/WR available early on. I used this strategy last year and finished 3rd. The year before I drafted Rodgers and Wilson and finished 3rd again. This year I won it all with this draft.

Jamie Collins

???

After 15 years of playing Dynasty, I have just joined my first SuperFlex Dynasty League.  I took over an orphan team.  I was looking on line for rankings, and found 2 different sites with rankings.  But the results are so different

In looking at a Top 200 list on each site (assuming 12 team league), below are the ranks of QB1, QB12, and QB24

Rank

Site A

Site B

QB1

QB12

QB24

Here is a break down of the number of QBs by round

#QBs by round

Site A

Site B

I was trying to get a feel for how QB value changes in a SuperFlex or 2 QB league, but these 2 sites seem to have very different feelings.  The team I took over has 2 good starting QBs, but I do not have a 3rd QB.  I know each league is different, but I am trying to get a handle on what a "fair" trade offer would be.  For QB24, the sites above have a spread of 41 in their rankings which to me is pretty huge.  Do you find that even QBs ranked 24 plus take a ransom to get ?

I have been playing in superflex for almost 20 years.  My leagues values starting qb's highly.  Even low ranked starters that have a stable job are worth a ton.  They key is a stable job. 

I find that the difference between the winstons and mariota's is not that far from the dalton and flacco' of the world.  Stable job for at least 5 years.

After 15 years of playing Dynasty, I have just joined my first SuperFlex Dynasty League.  I took over an orphan team.  I was looking on line for rankings, and found 2 different sites with rankings.  But the results are so different

In looking at a Top 200 list on each site (assuming 12 team league), below are the ranks of QB1, QB12, and QB24

Rank

Site A

Site B

QB1

QB12

QB24

#QBs by round

Site A

Site B

I was trying to get a feel for how QB value changes in a SuperFlex or 2 QB league, but these 2 sites seem to have very different feelings.  The team I took over has 2 good starting QBs, but I do not have a 3rd QB.  I know each league is different, but I am trying to get a handle on what a "fair" trade offer would be.  For QB24, the sites above have a spread of 41 in their rankings which to me is pretty huge.  Do you find that even QBs ranked 24 plus take a ransom to get ?
I think the difference is likely because Site A is using a different baseline than site B is, even though they may have the QB projected some similar fantasy points. How they slot the QB with the other positions gets changed dramatically when you move the baseline from QB 12 to QB 24 and similarly from QB 24 to QB 36 (you are getting into back ups and injured players at around QB 30 or so.)

I used the QB 24 baseline as the worst starter in a 12 team league for the averages posted above, but I could see using baseline QB 30 or something instead, if you wanted to value them a bit more relative to other positions.

A lot of fantasy owners may disagree about this, which is what makes it fun, as it is still somewhat unexplored territory. 

Rank

Site A

Site B

QB1

QB12

QB24

#QBs by round

Site A

Site B

1 QB in the first two rounds of a 12 team startup draft in a Super Flex makes that site's rankings very suspect IMO. At least assuming that scoring is reasonably normal.

So for the first time ever in my 2QB league, I drew the 1.01 in this year's draft. 

Is it totally crazy to consider going Rodgers at 1 overall? Three factors to weigh:

1) It's 6-pt pass TD scoring, so the VBD of the top QBs will be at least as great as the top RBs or WRs (Wilson scored 453 points last season, vs. 265 for QB20, Mariota).

2) It's full-PPR, which together with the 2QB requirement would seem to make a zero-RB strategy almost trivially easy to pull off.

3) Historically, almost identical numbers of QB/RB/WR have gone in the first two rounds (last year it was 7/7/6). And A-Rod paired with AJ Green or Gordon at 20 just feels like a much better starting core than Gurley or AB plus, what, Wentz? Cousins?

In a nutshell: 2QB leagues obviously increase the value of stud QBs - but do they increase it that much?

Users who are viewing this thread