What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Panels buyers remorse (1 Viewer)

Didnt read every single post, but, didnt see anyone mention maintenance. Cleaning gutters is bad enough, now clearing and spit shining solar panels for a few hundred in saving? Nope, not worth the time.
:confused: Never heard of this and we've had our panels for four years now.
Yah it’s not a thing. Peggy has an axe to grind.
Yes I don’t think I’ve ever encountered somebody anti-solar before. I get not wanting it on your house or the expense or whatever but this is strange.
I like it, but the ROI isn’t there for me. Our electric bill is probably half (or less) of yours and we’re looking to move out of FL in 10 years or less.
We’ve often considered leaving but had our second kid this year and can’t leave all of our family behind. They’re too involved with the kids.

Now I'm curious how much a setup would generate for me. Anyway to quickly roughly calculate that? I only average about $75/month for electricity so this would be more about selling it back to the provider.
How much generated is driven by the number of panels you put up. You'd want to look at your bill and see how many Kw you use a month and go from there.
This past year, my high month was 886 and low month was 395 kwh used
I can't really see the point in doing it at this point. The next thing you'll want to understand is if your state allows you to be completely off the grid and what the return credit is your power company gives you....most are 1:1, but some aren't

Didnt read every single post, but, didnt see anyone mention maintenance. Cleaning gutters is bad enough, now clearing and spit shining solar panels for a few hundred in saving? Nope, not worth the time.
Yes I don’t think I’ve ever encountered somebody anti-solar before. I get not wanting it on your house or the expense or whatever but this is strange.
People go way overboard about potential downsides, return on investment, etc. I think it’s mostly fear of change.

Having taken the plunge when it was pricier and less efficient, I still think it was worthwhile, both financially and environmentally.

How does one get moss on them? Does he live in The Shire? We considered having someone dust them at some point. Otherwise, we haven't done anything to them.

People go way overboard about potential downsides, return on investment, etc. I think it’s mostly fear of change.

Having taken the plunge when it was pricier and less efficient, I still think it was worthwhile, both financially and environmentally.
Yup. I figured out at some point during this it should save me 6 figures over the next 25 years. Once I had that in my pocket I was good to go.

Now I'm curious how much a setup would generate for me. Anyway to quickly roughly calculate that? I only average about $75/month for electricity so this would be more about selling it back to the provider.
How much generated is driven by the number of panels you put up. You'd want to look at your bill and see how many Kw you use a month and go from there.
That seems like pretty good price for electricity. Maybe 12 cents per kW-hr? You in TX?

That seems like pretty good price for electricity. Maybe 12 cents per kW-hr? You in TX?
$.15 in nj. Not sure if other states do this but we pay a price for electricity itself which is $.10 and a separate rate of $.05 for transmission. We have choice of a variety of providers but just the one company owns the lines. This makes me wonder if I'd get charged the same amount to send it back to the provider so I'd only make $.05 per kwh for any excess solar juice.

Do you know your power provider’s policy regarding buying it back? Some are good. Some arent.
Hitting up my locals on nextdoor. Will report back.

Someone got back to me and said they got paid $103 for an extra 2330 kwh for the year which is about $.05 per kwh which kinda makes sense as I feared b/c its probably the generation rate they're charging minus the transmission rate. I can see why they'd deduct the transmission rate since you're still using their lines to send it back to them. At the rates I'm being charged and at my current usage, doubt it would be worth it.

Do you know your power provider’s policy regarding buying it back? Some are good. Some arent.
Hitting up my locals on nextdoor. Will report back.

Someone got back to me and said they got paid $103 for an extra 2330 kwh for the year which is about $.05 per kwh which kinda makes sense as I feared b/c its probably the generation rate they're charging minus the transmission rate. I can see why they'd deduct the transmission rate since you're still using their lines to send it back to them. At the rates I'm being charged and at my current usage, doubt it would be worth it.
yeah that’s not great. The payback period is probably 12-15 years at that rate. Maybe less if you get a tax credit on the install price. That’s what ended up making it attractive for me.

What's the catch here? My usage is ~6300 kwh for the year. Spoke with a guy from palmetto. NJ you're allowed to install a system that's 100% of your usage. Looking at 15 panels. I'd probably just buy outright. Would cost ~$4800 out of pocket (17k for system - 5k for federal credit - 7k for nj credit). Break even would be about 6 years; maybe a year or two more if you factor in opportunity cost. He claims that they'd increase value of home by 4-6%. Roof is at 15 years. Seems too good to be true.

Last edited:
What's the catch here? My usage is ~6300 kwh for the year. Spoke with a guy from palmetto. NJ you're allowed to install a system that's 100% of your usage. Looking at 15 panels. I'd probably just buy outright. Would cost ~$4800 out of pocket (16k for system - 5k for federal credit - 7k for nj credit). Break even would be about 6 years; maybe a year or two more if you factor in opportunity cost. He claims that they'd increase value of home by 4-6%. Roof is at 15 years. Seems too good to be true.
I wouldn’t do 100% if you don’t get full credit for what you give back to the grid. Usually they target around 70%-75%. the key thing for you is the state credit. That definitely makes it look better.

What's the catch here? My usage is ~6300 kwh for the year. Spoke with a guy from palmetto. NJ you're allowed to install a system that's 100% of your usage. Looking at 15 panels. I'd probably just buy outright. Would cost ~$4800 out of pocket (16k for system - 5k for federal credit - 7k for nj credit). Break even would be about 6 years; maybe a year or two more if you factor in opportunity cost. He claims that they'd increase value of home by 4-6%. Roof is at 15 years. Seems too good to be true.
16k sounds incredibly low. I think I got quoted around 30k for less than 15 panels.

I wouldn’t do 100% if you don’t get full credit for what you give back to the grid. Usually they target around 70%-75%. the key thing for you is the state credit. That definitely makes it look better.
Are there states that give you full credit? Would need to confirm with the electric company but it sounds like they're subtracting the transmission rate from what its paying back. Getting a quote for some different system sizes sounds intriguing. I can always add additional panels at a later date.

16k sounds incredibly low. I think I got quoted around 30k for less than 15 panels.
Actually $17,285. Didn't have the exact number until now. Great deal or red flag?

Actually $17,285. Didn't have the exact number until now. Great deal or red flag?
seems like about a 5kW system? should be around $3/W before any tax credits. so i don't think your quote is way off

Im definitely no expert and you can ask everyone else in this thread about the cost but I got two estimates that were both over $30k. It was 4 years ago and I just looked at the quote again and I was wrong above. The quote was for 23 panels. I dont know why I thought it was less.

Are there states that give you full credit? Would need to confirm with the electric company but it sounds like they're subtracting the transmission rate from what its paying back. Getting a quote for some different system sizes sounds intriguing. I can always add additional panels at a later date.
varies by state, varies by provider. i thought i remember reading about some areas where you get full credit for what you produce and don't use, but it's rare, and getting rarer.

seems like about a 5kW system? should be around $3/W before any tax credits. so i don't think your quote is way off

nice to see the efficiency going up. id say that’s a pretty good price.

What's the catch here? My usage is ~6300 kwh for the year. Spoke with a guy from palmetto. NJ you're allowed to install a system that's 100% of your usage. Looking at 15 panels. I'd probably just buy outright. Would cost ~$4800 out of pocket (17k for system - 5k for federal credit - 7k for nj credit). Break even would be about 6 years; maybe a year or two more if you factor in opportunity cost. He claims that they'd increase value of home by 4-6%. Roof is at 15 years. Seems too good to be true.
Reading through your posts sequentially my initial thought is that solar wouldn’t work for you simply because your power bills aren’t high enough. I think you said $75 a month, so under $1k a year. So at $17k cost for system you’d never make that back, but that state tax credit for you is huge! I don’t think I have that in VA.

I’ve tried to make the numbers work for me but I can’t. I average 1,500-1,600kwh usage a month, 12 month rolling average bill about $231 ($2,800 a year). Have solar quote for 43 panels, 15.48kw system for $39k, $29k after tax credits. Even if it fully eliminates my bill (it won’t, I’ll still have a monthly connection bill), it would take over 10 years. If it eliminates 75% of my power bill, takes 14 years to pay me back to break even - not counting time value of money.

I think if I’m looking for payback, I should first replace my ~15 year old heat pumps with newer more efficient ones and take advantage of that tax credit. They will more than likely need to be replaced in the next few years anyway and should save me 30% on heating and cooling.

Apparently since I have a tier II system the power company has to come out and inspect it. So it will be another week to 10 days before it gets flipped on. I went through my emails and the guy told me about it in August but I forgot. That sucks.

Apparently since I have a tier II system the power company has to come out and inspect it. So it will be another week to 10 days before it gets flipped on. I went through my emails and the guy told me about it in August but I forgot. That sucks.
We had to have not only the power company but the county/city come out so the permits could be closed. took forever.

Reading through your posts sequentially my initial thought is that solar wouldn’t work for you simply because your power bills aren’t high enough. I think you said $75 a month, so under $1k a year. So at $17k cost for system you’d never make that back, but that state tax credit for you is huge! I don’t think I have that in VA.

I’ve tried to make the numbers work for me but I can’t. I average 1,500-1,600kwh usage a month, 12 month rolling average bill about $231 ($2,800 a year). Have solar quote for 43 panels, 15.48kw system for $39k, $29k after tax credits. Even if it fully eliminates my bill (it won’t, I’ll still have a monthly connection bill), it would take over 10 years. If it eliminates 75% of my power bill, takes 14 years to pay me back to break even - not counting time value of money.

I think if I’m looking for payback, I should first replace my ~15 year old heat pumps with newer more efficient ones and take advantage of that tax credit. They will more than likely need to be replaced in the next few years anyway and should save me 30% on heating and cooling.
Turns out there's a bit of a catch to that NJ credit that my solar guy conveniently didn't mention. Its not a one time tax credit like the federal, but an annual credit where they pay you a fixed amount per MWH produced each year for 15 years. So for me that's about $540 I get back each year. So my break even point goes from ~6 years to ~12 years for having to front that ~7K and have it trickle back to me over time. Not nearly as slam dunk a decision as before. Now I need to find out if I also have some monthly connection bill. A little too many elements to this decision for my liking.

Turns out there's a bit of a catch to that NJ credit that my solar guy conveniently didn't mention. Its not a one time tax credit like the federal, but an annual credit where they pay you a fixed amount per MWH produced each year for 15 years. So for me that's about $540 I get back each year. So my break even point goes from ~6 years to ~12 years for having to front that ~7K and have it trickle back to me over time. Not nearly as slam dunk a decision as before. Now I need to find out if I also have some monthly connection bill. A little too many elements to this decision for my liking.
Ouch, doubling the break even point is a bit of an important detail to not mention.

We had to have not only the power company but the county/city come out so the permits could be closed. took forever.
Yea we got the county one done. Did not realize the power company had 30 days. I’m eager to get this going.

Yea we got the county one done. Did not realize the power company had 30 days. I’m eager to get this going.
Hope they do better by you....ours took every bit of the 30 days....it was almost 6 weeks. Was ready to call a lawyer.

at The end of the day, solar installers are infringing on a huge profit generating industry, even with the upfront cost. They’re not gonna go quietly.
Since we got into this I have often wondered what the end game is for electric companies. Mine is about to lose out on 4500 a year minimum from me. Can’t imagine that is going over well.
If they don't have to spend capital to build another power plant, they are likely happy just to be the generation and distribution to their customers instead of having to expand capacity all the time.

I paid 35k (pre credits/rebates) for 23 panels 2 yrs ago.

Hope they do better by you....ours took every bit of the 30 days....it was almost 6 weeks. Was ready to call a lawyer.
We are two weeks in and no sign of progress lol. They will take every minute they can.

Another factor in my situation that just came to mind is the age of my roof. Its about 13 years old. Let's say I can get another 10 years out of it, that's another $3k ($200 per panel according to the guy I spoke with, but $375 from another) that I need to shell out to move the panels when the roof is replaced which further pushes out my break even point.

Roofs in my area usually don't last 10 years due to hail (Oklahoma). how resistant are they to that?
We had two 13kv arrays on our previous house. The warranty stated the panels would endure a "1" hailstone falling at 50 (or 60 mph).It can usually handle larger stones since they are usually installed on a roofs that have an angle and not a flat roof. We did have hail damage to our shingles (the panels were fine. Insurance covered to have the panels removed (about $6k) since the panels are attached to the house. We didn't have any impact on our insurance rates. Baseball size (or larger) stones might be a problem.

Last edited:
We are two weeks in and no sign of progress lol. They will take every minute they can.
sucks.....I was on the phone with them 2-3 times a week...same story every time, so I wouldn't bother calling...when the date comes and goes, then lawyers get involved :D GL GB!!

True.

Just an FYI - we are starting the process of another refrigerant change in the industry that is going to ramp up this year. As you get closer to deciding to do this let me know if you have any questions. I am in the HVAC business.

True.

Just an FYI - we are starting the process of another refrigerant change in the industry that is going to ramp up this year. As you get closer to deciding to do this let me know if you have any questions. I am in the HVAC business.
Explain this to me like I’m 8. Then, more than likely, explain it again like I’m 5.

I think my units have R-410, so that will change? Will the new stuff be more expensive or cheaper? Will it be more efficient? Why the change?

True.

Explain this to me like I’m 8. Then, more than likely, explain it again like I’m 5.

I think my units have R-410, so that will change? Will the new stuff be more expensive or cheaper? Will it be more efficient? Why the change?
So, 410a units are still available and will be as companies whittle down their inventory. The efficiencies are going to be similar.

As far as cost, don't know yet as stuff is just now rolling out, but equipment manufacturers are getting stupid expensive right now. Our cost on equipment has doubled in just a couple of years. And it's dumb. They are still blaming supply chain issues and it's just flat out greed.

410a supplies will be available for awhile, so you could opt for either at this point. At 15 years old you are certainly on borrowed time, since heat pumps generally don't last as long as an AC.

But as THOSE supplies dwindle, the cost of 410a will go up, much like the refrigerant that IT replaced (R22). But we can still get R22 now, even though it was phased out in 2010. It's expensive but available.

My guess is the costs of equipment will be similar to what we are seeing now. So if I'm you, I might wait another year if you can and see what shakes out. We haven't done any of the new refrigerant yet and may not do any in 2024.

The reason they are doing it is environmental. The new refrigerant (454b) is way more environmentally friendly than 410a.

Having some doubts is understandable, especially with such a big financial decision. I've heard from a few friends who went solar that the long-term savings were significant, especially in sunny states like Florida. They mentioned being patient as the initial investment slowly pays off through lower electric bills and, sometimes, credits from excess power generation.
Since getting our money back wasn't even in our calculations, we didn't have to worry about any of this. But we still save money.

Another option to consider if you're handy is to buy a kit and install it yourself. The kit contains everything you need other than a drill. Got a quote from solar wholesale that's about 8K less than an installed quote I got. Its about 5k less than another installed quote, but that one didn't come with microinverters so not a fair comparison. Nothing too complicated about it but obviously a lot of steps and work. The break even point is down to 8 years with this approach. What could go wrong?

Last edited:
So, what is the takeaway here? I’ll need to replace the roof on our house in Florida soon. Should I spring for solar, too? Looks like the price has come down a lot and the tax break is significant.

So, what is the takeaway here? I’ll need to replace the roof on our house in Florida soon. Should I spring for solar, too? Looks like the price has come down a lot and the tax break is significant.
We live in Houston. Part of our consideration was having power after a hurricane. That may tip the scales for you. It sure makes us happier.

Users who are viewing this thread