What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Panels buyers remorse (1 Viewer)

Having panels put up this week. It’s a little nerve wracking having people drill into your roof but I’ve been thinking about this for 2.5 years so finally decided to do it. System should cover 100% of our energy needs and we are gonna live in this house until I croak at least. Not financing it, so should make the money back in about 8 years.

Kind of a nervous home thing to have done but this is a good company that didn’t knock on my door so I am hopeful.
any battery storage?
Like a generator? Would’ve cost more. We can sell back to the electric company, if that’s what you are asking.

Having panels put up this week. It’s a little nerve wracking having people drill into your roof but I’ve been thinking about this for 2.5 years so finally decided to do it. System should cover 100% of our energy needs and we are gonna live in this house until I croak at least. Not financing it, so should make the money back in about 8 years.

Kind of a nervous home thing to have done but this is a good company that didn’t knock on my door so I am hopeful.
any battery storage?
Like a generator? Would’ve cost more. We can sell back to the electric company, if that’s what you are asking.
Like a battery for storage.

How old was your roof when they started the project?

any battery storage?
I had to go and look, but no. That’s the same idea as the generator backup I guess? It would’ve been extra.

Does this take into account opportunity cost? So say it cost 10k, the amount you would've made on investing that 10k instead with say average market return.

How old was your roof when they started the project?
2015. I have a 10 year price option to have them removed and re-installed if we need a new roof before then for some reason

this is my issue with about everything. any contractor that comes my way i have to watch like a hawk cause they just don’t care. someone comes to fix an oven and then i have floor scratches, a loose johnson rod, crap no longer fits correct, something else breaks. this is my experience almost always. so, someone drilling into my roof and doing stuff up there is something i have zero control over. personally, i’ll pay my $125 or so monthly to not have someone come over and screw something else up. wishing you ruck.

Does this take into account opportunity cost? So say it cost 10k, the amount you would've made on investing that 10k instead with say average market return.
Sure, I’m always thinking about the time value of money but we have a lot invested and are fortunate to have done well so I am betting I get 10-12 years of minimal electric costs on the backend to make up for any market gains we won’t make on that money now.

this is my issue with about everything. any contractor that comes my way i have to watch like a hawk cause they just don’t care. someone comes to fix an oven and then i have floor scratches, a loose johnson rod, crap no longer fits correct, something else breaks. this is my experience almost always. so, someone drilling into my roof and doing stuff up there is something i have zero control over. personally, i’ll pay my $125 or so monthly to not have someone come over and screw something else up. wishing you ruck.
Thanks. We pay a lot each a year in electric, way more than a 125 in savings each month. I wouldn’t have done it for that.

This place had great reviews and A+ on BBB with a healthy amount of reviews there so felt like that was the best I could do.

Sure, I’m always thinking about the time value of money but we have a lot invested and are fortunate to have done well so I am betting I get 10-12 years of minimal electric costs on the backend to make up for any market gains we won’t make on that money now.
yeah, at some point, you should come out ahead. was just questioning whether that 8 year break even point took opportunity cost into account.

yeah, at some point, you should come out ahead. was just questioning whether that 8 year break even point took opportunity cost into account.
Oh yea. I think about that in probably every thing I do. Knowing we will be here long-term is what made it +ev

any battery storage?
I had to go and look, but no. That’s the same idea as the generator backup I guess? It would’ve been extra.
However you can sell the extra credits back to the local power company.

With power in California closing on on 40c/kwh I don't know if the payback changes to something like next Wednesday on solar.
With the way they've changed (highly in favor of power company profits and screwing solar owners) the rules there I see articles about just installing batteries - evidently panels are very hard to make money back on, but just gaming the expensive/cheap parts of the day is +ev.

at The end of the day, solar installers are infringing on a huge profit generating industry, even with the upfront cost. They’re not gonna go quietly.

any battery storage?
However you can sell the extra credits back to the local power company.
We can for now. Some are trying to get the credits cut in half (minimum)

Watching that like a hawk, not that I can do anything about it now. Just waiting for that shoe to drop.

at The end of the day, solar installers are infringing on a huge profit generating industry, even with the upfront cost. They’re not gonna go quietly.
Since we got into this I have often wondered what the end game is for electric companies. Mine is about to lose out on 4500 a year minimum from me. Can’t imagine that is going over well.

Didnt read every single post, but, didnt see anyone mention maintenance. Cleaning gutters is bad enough, now clearing and spit shining solar panels for a few hundred in saving? Nope, not worth the time.

Since we got into this I have often wondered what the end game is for electric companies. Mine is about to lose out on 4500 a year minimum from me. Can’t imagine that is going over well.
Is FPL your provider? Mine's Duke and we already have a "minimum" we are required to pay. And you and I are required to be hooked to the grid so that leaves a couple obvious paths.

Is FPL your provider? Mine's Duke and we already have a "minimum" we are required to pay. And you and I are required to be hooked to the grid so that leaves a couple obvious paths.
Yea, Duke. 30 a month from what I understand.

Didnt read every single post, but, didnt see anyone mention maintenance. Cleaning gutters is bad enough, now clearing and spit shining solar panels for a few hundred in saving? Nope, not worth the time.
Why would I clean a solar panel?

I’m expected to save around 4500-5k a year.

:confused: Never heard of this and we've had our panels for four years now.
How often do you have to clean the gutters?
You must not have 100 year old maple trees where you live.

Why would I clean a solar panel?

I’m expected to save around 4500-5k a year.
Because its dirty and covered with leaves.

Or worse, covered in moss.

And my electric bill is 2500/ yr. Ignoring dumb government kickbacks (that the rest of us pay for) how the hell are you saving 5K a year. Good grief.

Yep...for now. ;)

How often do you have to clean the gutters?
You must not have 100 year old maple trees where you live.
Pine trees and live oaks. Usually a couple times a year to clean gutters, but never cleaned panels. Producing as much today as the day we had them installed.

Yep...for now. ;)
Yea I assume it’ll go up to 50ish at some point but also their rates will rise for those on the grid as well so either way you’re gonna get it.

Yep...for now. ;)
Yea I assume it’ll go up to 50ish at some point but also their rates will rise for those on the grid as well so either way you’re gonna get it.
Im waiting for them to approve 50% reimbursement to the grid. Ill be shocked if that doesnt happen at some point.

Yep...for now. ;)
Im waiting for them to approve 50% reimbursement to the grid. Ill be shocked if that doesnt happen at some point.
Explain plz

Yep...for now. ;)
Explain plz
In the last three years there have been bills written by the power companies for the legislature to allow the power companies to reimburse only half what they charge per Kw. Instead of 1:1 it'd be 2:1

Last year it was vetoed with a reason along the lines of " this isnt the time to be adding more expense to homeowners"

Yep...for now. ;)
Explain plz
In the last three years there have been bills written by the power companies for the legislature to allow the power companies to reimburse only half what they charge per Kw. Instead of 1:1 it'd be 2:1

Last year it was vetoed with a reason along the lines of " this isnt the time to be adding more expense to homeowners"
Gotcha. Thanks. GD power companies.

Admittedly, I haven’t followed maintenance to the letter of the law (meaning I’ve done none), but my PV system is still generating power over a decade since installation.

Yep...for now. ;)
Explain plz

At that point, I think the only move is to look at battery storage to go along with the existing panels....sucks.

Yep...for now. ;)
Explain plz

At that point, I think the only move is to look at battery storage to go along with the existing panels....sucks.
Yea I figure over the 20-25 years there will be some unexpected expenses so I’ll keep an eye on that. The guy I was dealing with told me the power companies aren’t going to let this happen quietly so I figure there will be something there eventually.

Yep...for now. ;)
Explain plz

Yea I figure over the 20-25 years there will be some unexpected expenses so I’ll keep an eye on that. The guy I was dealing with told me the power companies aren’t going to let this happen quietly so I figure there will be something there eventually.
My PV system will be 15 next year, and there have been no unexpected expenses so far. The power generation has gone down a bit though, maybe 5-10%?

ETA For my system, the inverter should be the first thing to fail. It should be at the end of it’s lifespan soon, well before the panels, but so far, so good.

Now I'm curious how much a setup would generate for me. Anyway to quickly roughly calculate that? I only average about $75/month for electricity so this would be more about selling it back to the provider.

Yah it’s not a thing. Peggy has an axe to grind.
Yes I don’t think I’ve ever encountered somebody anti-solar before. I get not wanting it on your house or the expense or whatever but this is strange.

Now I'm curious how much a setup would generate for me. Anyway to quickly roughly calculate that? I only average about $75/month for electricity so this would be more about selling it back to the provider.
Do you know your power provider’s policy regarding buying it back? Some are good. Some arent.

Roofs in my area usually don't last 10 years due to hail (Oklahoma). how resistant are they to that?
This would be my concern as well. We get massive hail storms here in Colorado. I have had pretty much every window in my house replaced over the years. As well as two roofs--so I can't imagine this would be very cost effective for our house.

How much generated is driven by the number of panels you put up. You'd want to look at your bill and see how many Kw you use a month and go from there.

Roofs in my area usually don't last 10 years due to hail (Oklahoma). how resistant are they to that?
I live on a golf course and I get pelted with golf balls daily. We've had them for 4.5 years and never had to have on replaced. It was a concern to me too. A lot of places cover them on insurance and those that don't WILL cover them under an umbrella policy.

Yah it’s not a thing. Peggy has an axe to grind.
Yes I don’t think I’ve ever encountered somebody anti-solar before. I get not wanting it on your house or the expense or whatever but this is strange.
I like it, but the ROI isn’t there for me. Our electric bill is probably half (or less) of yours and we’re looking to move out of FL in 10 years or less.

How much generated is driven by the number of panels you put up. You'd want to look at your bill and see how many Kw you use a month and go from there.
This past year, my high month was 886 and low month was 395 kwh used

Users who are viewing this thread