What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should Spotify Remove Joe Rogan's Podcast? (1 Viewer)

Should Spotify Remove Joe Rogan's Podcast?

• Total voters
IWhatever happened to changing the channel? If one doesn’t like Joe Rogan, don’t listen. I’ve never heard him, don’t care to.  

I Shot the Sherriff is on Spotify though.
Thats an idea for you and me.  These artists appear to be more in line with…I dint want to be associated with a platform where he is.  And some…saying I don’t want to give you my money of you promote x or y.

I do have Spotify, I don’t  listen to Rogan and its more that I never found him interesting or his comedy that good at all.  My only interest here is if shows and artists I do listen to pull their work from the platform , I will switch to a new service.  So i don’t think they should pull him…maybe episodes with misinformation…or labels or whatever.  

Before we get too up in arms about this, let's just understand that there's no way Spotify boots Joe Rogan.

And very few people would think they should. It's early, but even in this communist liberal echo chamber there's still no one that's voted that they should boot him. Some will for sure, but it'll almost certainly be less than 5%. Again, among all these crazy libs.

As an aside, I'm an old fuddy duddy that still doesn't understand why people pay a subscription to listen to podcasts. I've heard very little of Joe Rogan because I can't bring myself to pay for freaking podcasts. 
I pay for Apple Music, not Spotify, but find the value tremendous. $10 a month and I can easily access any song or album I want. I use it every day. There must be some people that join due to podcasts but I suspect it’s mostly for the music.

Spotify should do whatever the heck they want. They have no obligation to do anything. 

The really dumb part about this, to me, is the implication that there isn't misinformation on Spotify if Joe Rogan is gone.

You can spend 5 minutes searching, and find New Age podcasts on there promoting the absolute stupidest concepts one could imagine in pursuit of health. 

Thats an idea for you and me.  These artists appear to be more in line with…I dint want to be associated with a platform where he is.  And some…saying I don’t want to give you my money of you promote x or y.

I do have Spotify, I don’t  listen to Rogan and its more that I never found him interesting or his comedy that good at all.  My only interest here is if shows and artists I do listen to pull their work from the platform , I will switch to a new service.  So i don’t think they should pull him…maybe episodes with misinformation…or labels or whatever.  
I think labels would be appropriate.  All this hubbub really does is give Rogan a short term bump in exposure.  

Spotify did not start this, or want this.  Neil Young made them choose Rogan or him.  They made their choice.

It was one interview with Dr. Malone correct? I am sure if they want they could delete that interview if it is a problem.   

Now I want to listen to Dr. Malone talk to Rogan though. My daughters have Spotify so I will be at their home today and try to find it.

By the way, some might not know:

When they signed the deal, Spotify had several episodes they said they weren't going to transition over to the app. Different reasons, and Rogan told them he didn't care. 

Neil Young created some buzz you likely saw. Joni Mitchell created less. 

But now it may appear Brene Brown has pulled her show from Spotify. There is speculation it's over Joe Rogan. 

Which is super weird as usually when one boycotts or protests, they're not secretive about it. 

In my opinion, if this is accurate, Brene Brown doing this is 100x bigger than Neil Young. I don't know how well she's known in our demographic here but she's a big deal. 

Regardless, there seems to be momentum here. 

So what do you think?
They should do whatever they want to do for whatever reason they want to do it.

Spotify should do whatever the heck they want. They have no obligation to do anything. 

The really dumb part about this, to me, is the implication that there isn't misinformation on Spotify if Joe Rogan is gone.

You can spend 5 minutes searching, and find New Age podcasts on there promoting the absolute stupidest concepts one could imagine in pursuit of health. 

I agree, there is mis-information all around us everyday.  Just on different topics.

Someone posted yesterday that freedom isn't free, and that resonated with me.  Traditionally we use that expression to justify blood being spilled in military conflicts, but I think it applies here as well.  Some lives will be lost due to misinformation but that's the cost of freedom.

I don't support censorship but Spotify is free to do what they think is best.  Rogan is free to say what he wants to, as is Neil Young and others.

I wonder what their position would be if Taylor Swift decided to move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if in the near future Rogan has scheduled guest/s that offer a counter to this Dr Malone fella?

Maybe I don’t understand the concept of association all to well, but just because Joe Rogan/Brene Brown/Neil Young/others are on the Spotify platform are they actually associated with one another?  I don’t even have Spotify, but I’ve listened to podcasts through Apple and I’m certain there’s probably talk shows on there with content I don’t agree with, contain false information, and promote conspiracy theories and I have absolutely no need nor desire to go seeking them out and demanding their removal.

I’m not of the opinion that misinformation should be ignored, but going on some virtue war sure seems to open the slippery slope door that’s totally unnecessary (ie: those complaining now bring the microscope of judgement against themselves by those who will assuredly look for inconsistencies and hypocritical instances of “false” information sharing) Just address your concerns to that information on your show, maybe stir up some dust and attention by trying to get on the Rogan show in order to address your concerns about the misinformation

And since I have absolutely no desire to listen to Rogan’s podcast, just not my flavor having heard snippets before, did he himself agree with and say that this Dr Malone guy is correct, or did he simply have him as a guest and let him speak his schpeil?

The better question is do you think it’s healthy for entertainers to try to cancel the content of other entertainers.

The better question is do you think it’s healthy for entertainers to try to cancel the content of other entertainers.
Healthy for whom?  Presumably under the "all publicity is good publicity" umbrella, public artist spats have frequently worked in the past to raise the profile of both artists.  That seems to apply here as well.  We're talking about Young, Mitchell, and Rogan.  Division sells.

My understanding is that Young had polio a year before vaccines were available and still deals with the effects.  Vaccines are a very deeply personal thing for him.

When he hears Rogan, he feels deeply compelled to act.  Should he be prevented from acting on his own deeply held beliefs?

Healthy for whom?  Presumably under the "all publicity is good publicity" umbrella, public artist spats have frequently worked in the past to raise the profile of both artists.  That seems to apply here as well.  We're talking about Young, Mitchell, and Rogan.  Division sells.
Healthy for us.  Is it healthy for us when writers, entertainers, controversial voices are silenced.

I’m not interested in debating if this will benefit Rogan or not.  Presume that somebody other than the corpse of Neil Young was involved and Spotify removed him.

Healthy for us.  Is it healthy for us when writers, entertainers, controversial voices are silenced.

I’m not interested in debating if this will benefit Rogan or not.  Presume that somebody other than the corpse of Neil Young was involved and Spotify removed him.
It's not healthy for controversial voices to be silenced.  At all.  That's the opposite of healthy.

That being said, this debate we are having right now is healthy and that doesn't happen if Young stays silent.

It's not healthy for controversial voices to be silenced.  At all.  That's the opposite of healthy.

That being said, this debate we are having right now is healthy and that doesn't happen if Young stays silent.
Neil Young doesn’t have to be silent, he can speak his mind and also say he doesn’t think his opinions should be used as economic weapons to silence other voices.

I’m not following.  You don’t believe he’s trying to influence Spotify to cancel Rogan?
I do. 

He's trying to get a private company he's doing business with to stop doing business with someone he thinks is espousing dangerous ideas.

He's not trying to decide what you get to listen to. 

If they remove Rogan, you will still be able to hear Rogan. Rogan used to NOT be on Spotify, and you were able to hear him. He managed to become the biggest podcast in the country without Spotify, so pretty sure it wouldn't hurt him one bit

I’m not sure a doctor discussing vaccines should be classified as an “entertainer”.    

Anyway, I fully support entertainers having the freedom to disassociate themselves with particular platforms. I also support businesses having the right to decide what content is available on their platforms.  I also support the right for consumers to complain about stuff and make decisions on what they want to pay for. 

I do. 

He's trying to get a private company he's doing business with to stop doing business with someone he thinks is espousing dangerous ideas.

He's not trying to decide what you get to listen to. 

If they remove Rogan, you will still be able to hear Rogan. Rogan used to NOT be on Spotify, and you were able to hear him. He managed to become the biggest podcast in the country without Spotify, so pretty sure it wouldn't hurt him one bit
He’s absolutely trying to decide what I listen to, he’s simply attacking the place where that information currently resides.  The crusade will follow Rogan wherever he goes, Neil Young and these other crusaders today and who knows who else tomorrow.

Neil Young can do what he wants, I think he’s a ##### for trying to cancel Rogan.  The argument of “well he’s only canceling him here so it’s ok or not that bad”…isn’t really a compelling defense to me.

For anyone who is actually interested in the Rogan/disinformation topic.  I invite you to go listen to the episode where he also has one of the top recognized doctors according to the MSM, Dr Sanja Gupta on and basically gets him to admit that much of what the MSM is pushing is bull####.  

You want to censor someone, don’t cherry-pick. Actually do some due diligence and research before you jump to conclusions about everything someone is about. 

He’s absolutely trying to decide what I listen to, he’s simply attacking the place where that information currently resides.  The crusade will follow Rogan wherever he goes, Neil Young and these other crusaders today and who knows who else tomorrow.

Neil Young can do what he wants, I think he’s a ##### for trying to cancel Rogan.  The argument of “well he’s only canceling him here so it’s ok or not that bad”…isn’t really a compelling defense to me.
Yeah, that's not my argument. 

Spotify is simply one way to hear stuff. 

So I'm just pushing back against not knowing what censorship actually is.

Neil Young: not capable of censorship. 

Before we get too up in arms about this, let's just understand that there's no way Spotify boots Joe Rogan.

And very few people would think they should. It's early, but even in this communist liberal echo chamber there's still no one that's voted that they should boot him. Some will for sure, but it'll almost certainly be less than 5%. Again, among all these crazy libs.

As an aside, I'm an old fuddy duddy that still doesn't understand why people pay a subscription to listen to podcasts. I've heard very little of Joe Rogan because I can't bring myself to pay for freaking podcasts. 
The podcast is free, as far as I know all the podcasts are free.  

Yeah, that's not my argument. 

Spotify is simply one way to hear stuff. 

So I'm just pushing back against not knowing what censorship actually is.

Neil Young: not capable of censorship. 
Right, he individually is not powerful enough.  Would you support a cadre of more powerful entertainers driving any profit driven platform from hosting Rogan?

And to be clear I never used the word censorship.

Right, he individually is not powerful enough.  Would you support a cadre of more powerful entertainers driving any profit driven platform from hosting Rogan?
 I wouldn't care very much in this instance but sure. 

"Support" may not be the best word here. I wouldn't "support" equivalent conservative actions but I would recognise their right to take them.

I support it being legal for them to do so. Personally I think there are other measures Spotify could take to avoid that happening to them such as having a public misinformation policy. 

Definitely not. I don't support Young on this one, either. 

Also, in your above scenario, that's not censorship either. 

I'm in favor of getting people to the point where they don't take medical advice from a comedian, and if that comedian has someone on his show that recommends something, they maybe do a little reading on this new source. 

The people pushing misinformation on Rogan's show, a quick Google can let you know how full of crap they are. 

Rogan has Peter McCullough on, if people simply believe what he says, because he's on Rogan, is that Rogan's fault? No. 

I have no problem with Rogan being on Spotify, and no problem with people pointing out Rogan is giving a stage to clowns, and pushes bad info. 

For anyone who is actually interested in the Rogan/disinformation topic.  I invite you to go listen to the episode where he also has one of the top recognized doctors according to the MSM, Dr Sanja Gupta on and basically gets him to admit that much of what the MSM is pushing is bull####.  

You want to censor someone, don’t cherry-pick. Actually do some due diligence and research before you jump to conclusions about everything someone is about. 
:goodposting:

Joe Rogan complete guest list

Upcoming guests

I don't understand how these people are so upset with Joe Rogan.  Imagine thinking vaccine hesitancy was his fault, and not these huge medical/pharmaceutical/government institutions that blew their own credibility over the years.  It's not Joe Rogan's fault that people don't trust them anymore.  Biden's pandemic response has been an absolute failure.  Three thousand people died of coronavirus yesterday but the best form of activism they can come up with is to cancel their spotify membership over Joe Rogan.  

Should Fauci have been deplatformed for discouraging masks in 2020?  I don't think so- people should be their own arbiters for the information they receive and act upon.  

As for Spotify, they will do whatever they feel is in their financial interest.  Personally I think they should keep Rogan and argue that their platform is open so long as people aren't explicitly calling for violence or violating a relaxed terms of service.  I don't listen to his show except for little blurbs on youtube here and there, but I have been using spotify for a long time.  

In a practical world a private company opting not to have content on X available for consumption via their service should not be a priority discussion subject.

Users who are viewing this thread