What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

@icon - should I buy a new Bronco or new Jeep? (1 Viewer)

Jeeps are cool, hold their value for sure. I've been reading about serious reliability issues for the Bronco, which is unfortunate but probably expected for a new platform.

Don't rule out a 4Runner. Almost as capable as either of those. Much more comfortable ride for the 99% of time you aren't on a trail, and much more reliable than either. Can't go topless though.
Topless is a key point here. My happy place is roof off, doors off, with a cigar and 70s rock blaring as I cruise to the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon to pick up oregano for Mrs. O.
the 70s song better damned well be looking glass brandy take that to the bank brotis

The really nice Jeeps with awesome tires and rims, sometimes the brake lights include the spare on the back, those are the ones that tend to catch my eye out here in Suffolk County.

Maybe it's different in Nassau County though. Buncha snobs up there especially on the North Shore (kidding I love it there too).

The really nice Jeeps with awesome tires and rims, sometimes the brake lights include the spare on the back, those are the ones that tend to catch my eye out here in Suffolk County.

Maybe it's different in Nassau County though. Buncha snobs up there especially on the North Shore (kidding I love it there too).
I used to own a jacked up Jeep with big tires and I added the brake light ring into the spare on back and it was killer!

If you want look at me, under $100K, top off, fun to drive, then get this instead
Need to also fit a family of 5.
IIRC, you didn't mention the toting the family around part.

It seemed like this was just about going topless reliving the glory days while picking up some French Vanilla creamer at the store.

Going topless in a badass family hauler seems like a pretty tough set of parameters. Especially if you're only trying to drop 5 digits.

If you ain't ready to really ball out, Just get you a 4-door Bronco Sport, which is really just an Escape.

Grenadier stands out and we know you like that. Plus, not American-made, so that thing should last, though expensive, the maintenance.

For real, that thing looks dope. And Jeeps are overrated, over-priced and way overdone at this point. I had a couple back in the day. The newer ones seem like glorified minivans, from what I hear, though I have not owned one.
Meh. Kinda looks like a Range Rover.
IMO looks more the G-Wagon than a Rover.
Did you see the model with windows in the back? Looks like. a different vehicle, NOT an ambulance.

I have barely looked at the thing, TBH, and know nothing about it. I just thinks Jeeps are so overrated or however you want to call it. And like I said, had two of them and had a blast in them, but that was then and this is now. And we are talking OTIS, who loves to stick out.

So at this point, Jeeps are glorified Hummers (which suck) -- LOOK AT ME -- that get to accidentally run over a flowerbed occasionally.

If you're gonna go for that look/style/whatever, go different. Old school Landcruiser, imo.

But whatever you do, do not go first or even a 2nd year model of any vehicle. Who doesn't know this basic rule of thumb???

I mean come on, DUH. Which I'm on record with the Broncos (that takes an IQ of 1 I think). Go look at the thread and guess what? Smells like lemons.

Last edited:
Jeeps are cool, hold their value for sure. I've been reading about serious reliability issues for the Bronco, which is unfortunate but probably expected for a new platform.

Don't rule out a 4Runner. Almost as capable as either of those. Much more comfortable ride for the 99% of time you aren't on a trail, and much more reliable than either. Can't go topless though.

Didn't know Jeeps hold their value THAT well. As well as Toyota? Let's see it.

Reliability for a new FORD Bronco can't be good. I'd bet money on that without ever looking it up. I have a post in that thread about being out of your mind if you buy the first year model. Or just having funny money, which, well good for you!

4Runner blows doors on all of them, all things considered, and it's not even close.
I’d look at a 4Runner if the roof came off.

Exactly why I'm suggesting the one that stands out the most, instead of EASILY the most practical.

But whatever you do, do not go first or even a 2nd year model of any vehicle. Who doesn't know this basic rule of thumb???

I mean come on, DUH. Which I'm on record with the Broncos (that takes an IQ of 1 I think). Go look at the thread and guess what? Smells like lemons.

If you're looking for real discussion, please dial way back the "that takes an IQ of 1" shtick. Thanks.

For these older cars and trucks that are restored, what's a good place to get an idea on value?

Some of these seem inexpensive like this https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1971-ford-bronco-476538

But then other places I see fully restored broncos for 10x that. Is there a baseline?
Joe- here‘a my favorite. It’s largely a private sale site so the values are far more representive of the value vs Auction sites like hemmings. Plus with auctions the real cost is 8-10% higher due to fees.

For the record I spend way to much time on the site below looking for my next love. Lol

For these older cars and trucks that are restored, what's a good place to get an idea on value?

Some of these seem inexpensive like this https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1971-ford-bronco-476538

But then other places I see fully restored broncos for 10x that. Is there a baseline?
That's just the current bid, not what it will actually sell for.

That's just the current bid, not what it will actually sell for.

Sure. But is there a good place to see what the final sales prices are? Does Hemmings have a "sold for" area?

Joe- here‘a my favorite. It’s largely a private sale site so the values are far more representive of the value vs Auction sites like hemmings. Plus with auctions the real cost is 8-10% higher due to fees.

For the record I spend way to much time on the site below looking for my next love. Lol

Great. Thank you.

Please tell me you put the horns on it and cruised around College Station...

No Horns. But it was pink. I sold another car for $10,000. I bought the Cadillac for $5,000. Had it painted for $250. And put a $5,000 Alpine Stereo in it. Back in 1985, that was the business. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1657139012690124800?s=20

Last edited:
Please tell me you put the horns on it and cruised around College Station...

No Horns. But it was pink. I sold another car for $10,000. I bought the Cadillac for $5,000. Had it painted for $250. And put a $5,000 Alpine Stereo in it. Back in 1985, that was the business. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys/status/1657139012690124800?s=20
That car is awesome. Whenever I see a big 'ol convertible like that I always dream about doing a road trip in one. Then I remember i'm old and really enjoy the conveniences and driving experience of a modern car.

If you're looking for real discussion, please dial way back the "that takes an IQ of 1" shtick. Thanks.
Sorry Joe, that was supposed to be a joke, not schtick. And that was not a reply to anything you said.

Did someone report it as otherwise? If that doesn't look like an obvious joke, um, I'm not sure how to interact here, without being eliminated from conversations, altogether.

I'm all for "real discussion", if that's that's all that is allowed here. That said, reporting of jokes is, far and away, the funniest thing I may have read on here.

We are just a bunch of middle-aged men talking cars/jeeps here. When or why did it become so serious??

Last edited:
Did someone report it as otherwise? If that doesn't look like an obvious joke, um, I'm not sure how to interact here, without being eliminated from conversations, altogether.

Nobody reported it. I read it and my job is to help encourage real discussion. And sometimes part of that is asking people to please dial way back the "that takes an IQ of 1" shtick. Or jokes.

If that doesn't work for you, or you're not sure how to interact here, then we may not be the board for you.

Please let's move on now and get back to topic of Jeeps and Broncos. Thanks.

That car is awesome. Whenever I see a big 'ol convertible like that I always dream about doing a road trip in one. Then I remember i'm old and really enjoy the conveniences and driving experience of a modern car.

It was a sweet road trip car. Literally felt like you were floating down the highway.

I worked as a lifeguard at the pool in Bryan/College Station and it was a regular fixture there. When I taught swim lessons to little kids, part of my reward system was if they did something good we'd go for a ride around the block with the top down. People were always taking pictures of it. One year, one of the sororities used it in their class photo. LOL.

Cruising 6th Street in Austin was fun as you could get about 10 people in there it seemed. I don't recall exactly but my guess is we were pretty lax with seat belts. We'd just ask people to hop in at stoplights. My other ride was a Kawasaki Ninja 600. I had most of my net worth tied up in my vehicles. I was broke, but had sweet transportation.

Then I remember i'm old and really enjoy the conveniences and driving experience of a modern car.

Yes. Back then, I didn't know any better. But also, back then it wasn't that out of date. It was only a 15 year old car in 1985. Today, it's a 53 year old car. I think that means I'm really old. :lmao:

Cars today are so much higher quality in fit and finish and convenience. They're a lot more boring and have less style. So it's a tradeoff.

Another funny thing I learned with the car was something along the lines of (within reason), "Do what you want."

I wanted a fun, goofy pink Cadillac convertible with the best stereo system in town. So I did it. The cost was $10k and some figuring it out.

I would often have guys tell me something like, "That's so rad. I wish I could do something like that." And then they'd drive off in their BMW that cost 5x my car.

They "COULD" do that. They just didn't.

It was a sweet road trip car. Literally felt like you were floating down the highway.

My best friend growing up had a four door version of those and that’s the only way to describe it.

Driving a car like that also makes you into a skilled driver. There’s not more than 5 people on earth under the age of 35 who can park that between two cars in a crowded grocery store parking spot.

Nobody reported it. I read it and my job is to help encourage real discussion. And sometimes part of that is asking people to please dial way back the "that takes an IQ of 1" shtick. Or jokes.

If that doesn't work for you, or you're not sure how to interact here, then we may not be the board for you.

Please let's move on now and get back to topic of Jeeps and Broncos. Thanks.

Ah, got it. My apologies. I was trying (super unsuccessfully) to bring a little humor.

From what I gather, you go on any of these resto mod sites, you are in Robb Report territory. This stuff is over the top, priced for the crowd who really doesn't care about price.

Meantime, you can find private sellers with selling restored models for 30 grand and up.

Thanks. I wonder about the difference. I know the ones like you linked to are just super expensive as you said. Someone sent me a restored bronco from mid 70s and it was $225,000. I'm assuming there is something there they can justify the difference between the private seller restoration. But it doesn't seem to add up. It would make more sense for the private sellers at 30k to be selling "as is" vehicles ready for restoration.

My Dad recently restored a 60's model truck and he has 125,000 in it. It's a challenge.

From what I gather, you go on any of these resto mod sites, you are in Robb Report territory. This stuff is over the top, priced for the crowd who really doesn't care about price.

Meantime, you can find private sellers with selling restored models for 30 grand and up.

Thanks. I wonder about the difference. I know the ones like you linked to are just super expensive as you said. Someone sent me a restored bronco from mid 70s and it was $225,000. I'm assuming there is something there they can justify the difference between the private seller restoration. But it doesn't seem to add up. It would make more sense for the private sellers at 30k to be selling "as is" vehicles ready for restoration.

My Dad recently restored a 60's model truck and he has 125,000 in it. It's a challenge.

40 grand.

Dang, now I'm talking myself into one of these

The difference comes down to the driving experience and what you’re looking to get out of it. A 30k 60’s/70’s Bronco (etc) will be on the original 50yr old chassis with some upgraded bits on it done by who knows. So it will drive and ride like a 70’s Bronco. The full ground up remodels have all new chassis’s (or greatly upgraded) with almost everything else new and updated all built by pros. The driving experience is vastly different. But you obviously pay for it.

So at the end of the day it’s about what you‘re looking for from a daily experience and what you’re willing to pay. Those intersection points will define what you get.

bringatrailer.com is your ultimate authority. Sold my retromodded 1979 Scout there. Good indications of real market values of these cool old cars. A lot of it comes down to how well the restoration of the Bronco/Scout was.

Otis vehicle sale: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-international-harvester-scout-ii-traveler-2/

Bought for $25k. Tinkered around with it, made some minor add-ons over the years just for fun, drove it for a few years. Sold it for more than double. HEY LOOK AT ME was off the charts with this one.

The downside was it drives like a truck from the 70s. Rough ride, squeaking, clanking, not civilized, hated taking it on the highway, limited reliability and limited use cases. Was a lot of fun and so unique, but impractical.

Users who are viewing this thread