What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shaun Hill - collective expectations for him? (1 Viewer)

FF Ninja

Footballguy
There is some good discussion about him in the various threads on Rams' skill players, but I figured I'd try to gauge everyone's take on him in his own thread. Some people see this as a boon for Britt and/or Quick since Hill is willing to chunk it downfield despite not being very strong armed whereas Bradford was a bit of a checkdown artist. Some think Bradford is head and shoulders better than Hill while others think Hill will move the offense just as effectively if not more so.

Personally, I have a hard time getting excited about a 34 year old QB with maybe two seasons worth of experience in a 12 year career, but I guess McCown made it happen last year. He's definitely seen as one of the better backup QBs in the league. The running game suffered through the non-threat of Kellen Clemens last year, so I guess Hill has to be an improvement over that...

What do you guys think? How much of a step down is Hill from Bradford? How much of a step up is Hill from Clemens?

I think he'll do all right for the Rams. He's been around the league for a while and should be able to fill in passably, I suppose. I don't think he'll be useful for fantasy purposes, though. As you said, he's a little long in the tooth, and I personally believe that if he was going to break out, he would've done it by now. And you're right, McCown pulled it off last year, but Hill doesn't have Marshall and Jeffrey (or Forte, for that matter).

Bradford himself hasn't exactly made a name for himself as one of the top signal callers in the league. Some probably hoped he would turn the corner this year and live up to his potential, or more precisely our expectations. But who knows how that scenario will have played out.

Shaun Hill we know can play quarterback at a moderate level, possibly better than Bradford has performed the past few seasons. If you expected the light switch to turn on for Bradford this year, I could understand the concern. As for me, I won't change my outlook for the Rams skill players because I didn't count on a stellar season from the starting quarterback anyhow.

For real life though, I feel bad for the kid. Bradford just can't seem catch a break. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is not afraid to throw it up and let Calvin Johnson do the rest. Oh, wait a minute.

If they don't rein him in, he could potentially put up the kind of numbers Bradford was on pace for last year before getting hurt. I think Bradford is more talented with a stronger arm, but the targets should be better and/or more experienced this year. So I think that's his ceiling, more or less. Which would be something like 3900/32. I don't think they'll probably throw that much, though, deep as they are at RB, even if it's not a super-talented group.

Something like 3500/24 would seem about right? Obviously it's all just guesswork at this point, but that seems reasonable to me. They went from a potential offensive breakout to a very likely conservative grind, IMO, but there's enough on the roster to generate non-embarrassing levels of offense anyway. :shrug:

If they don't rein him in, he could potentially put up the kind of numbers Bradford was on pace for last year before getting hurt. I think Bradford is more talented with a stronger arm, but the targets should be better and/or more experienced this year. So I think that's his ceiling, more or less. Which would be something like 3900/32. I don't think they'll probably throw that much, though, deep as they are at RB, even if it's not a super-talented group.

Something like 3500/24 would seem about right? Obviously it's all just guesswork at this point, but that seems reasonable to me. They went from a potential offensive breakout to a very likely conservative grind, IMO, but there's enough on the roster to generate non-embarrassing levels of offense anyway. :shrug:
The Rams were getting crushed when Bradford was in and passed at a high-rate; I believe 86% of their yds came from passing in September? Or close to it...

It went to 58% after Clemens came in.

In any event, I agree that around 220 yds/game sounds good given that they'll be competitive in most games.

I find it funny that some think he will be as good as Bradford. The Detroit offense and chucking it to Calvin is a WHOLE lot different than throwing in the Rams offense, behind that line, to those WRs...

The Rams were getting crushed when Bradford was in and passed at a high-rate; I believe 86% of their yds came from passing in September? Or close to it...

In any event, I agree that around 220 yds/game sounds good given that they'll be competitive in most games.
I think probably Shaun Hill is better than Clemens.

They were 3-4 while Bradford was in. They beat ARZ. Had some bad losses, but they were doing ok. The only real outlier in the pass-rate thing before Bradford left was the HOU game, which was obviously an extreme circumstance. STL shut it down after a single third quarter drive, since HOU coughed up multiple defensive TD's, and Sam already had 3 TD's after a super-efficient start. Wasn't a gameplan switch so much as a super-cooperative and bad opponent.

But that's all neither here nor there. I don't think they'll be as aggressive as they were with Sam early last year, but there's also no need to be as humble as they were with Clemens afterward. Hill's better than Clemens, AND again, they've added Britt, and all the young guys are bringing more experience and looking much better this go 'round. So I assume they'll walk the middle path. :shrug:

I'll stick with that 3500/24 guess. A huge number would shock me, as would a collapse.

I find it funny that some think he will be as good as Bradford. The Detroit offense and chucking it to Calvin is a WHOLE lot different than throwing in the Rams offense, behind that line, to those WRs...
One doesn't need cahunas to use the phrase 'just as good as Bradford'. Just like it doesn't take a master chef to cook as good as my wife.

Low. His age and physical limitations are a concern. While he has receivers with potential, none of them are sure fire studs--so he has no go to receiver. I would put him near the bottom of QBs this year.

I think he'll do all right for the Rams. He's been around the league for a while and should be able to fill in passably, I suppose. I don't think he'll be useful for fantasy purposes, though. As you said, he's a little long in the tooth, and I personally believe that if he was going to break out, he would've done it by now. And you're right, McCown pulled it off last year, but Hill doesn't have Marshall and Jeffrey (or Forte, for that matter).
Yeah, I wasn't really that curious about him from a QB fantasy standpoint, but just about the Rams' offense as a whole.

I think the Rams offensive weapons are ready to break out. The light looks to have come on for Quick, who is a physical speciman. Britt also looks very good. Throw in Cook and Givens and you have a lot of size at wideout, and then you have Tavon who will be good for some big plays.

I think the offense was ready to take off. I'm not calling top ten or fifteen for Hill, but I think he will surprise and be much better than the average backup QB.

az_prof said:
Low. His age and physical limitations are a concern. While he has receivers with potential, none of them are sure fire studs--so he has no go to receiver. I would put him near the bottom of QBs this year.
It's too early to say on Britt, but Bradford and Hill showed no hesitation in chunking the ball up to Britt in week 3. Whether that carries to the regular season, who knows. But he's looked good in camp.

The last post pretty much sums it up. There will always be suckier starting QBs than Shaun Hill.

3200-20-14 passing, negligible rushing. Half of games are against SF, SEA, ARI (2 ea), DEN, KC so I'd keep expectations in check. May have nice start though with MIN, TB, DAL in first three weeks which may give folks false expectations for the rest of the season.

Since I've got Bradford in a super flex and am short at QB already I've pretty much got to shoot my wad on Hill :wub: (ha ha....sorry Shaun)

EDIT: meaning I had to sell a prospect for blind bidding $$$ so I'd have more than anyone else to bid :whistle:

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
:unsure:

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Crap pass blocking for YEARS. You disagree?
There's no doubt he can be better than Bradford. Bradford was pretty average. Hill's numbers as a starter best both of Bradford's full seasons.

In Hill's last stint as a starter, his offensive line was definitely worse than what this Rams line should be when everyone is healthy. Also, Calvin is about all Hill had in 2010 to throw the ball to other than maybe Jahvid Best.

I'm not comparing Britt and Quick to Calvin but if you're going to chuck it to somebody, you could do a lot worse than 2 big physical receivers like these.

The Ram's defense should give Hill more opportunities than the 2010 Lions as well.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
The line will dominate this year in terms of both pass and run blocking.
Hmm. Is that why they are second in sacks allowed so far this preseason, along with a starting QB out for the year?

The last 2 years they have given up 2 sacks per game or more, and that's not counting hits, pressures, hurries...

Bradford is my QB3. IRd him and took Cassel instead of Hill. Peyton and Luck are my QB1 and QB2 so it probably doesnt matter. :knockonwood:

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Hmm. Is that why they are second in sacks allowed so far this preseason, along with a starting QB out for the year?

The last 2 years they have given up 2 sacks per game or more, and that's not counting hits, pressures, hurries...
They trotted the backups out with the rest of the starting offense against GB, and even still, they didn't give up a single sack.

The game against Cleveland was the first time they had anything resembling the starters out there, and they completely dominated the much-ballyhooed Browns' defense in every aspect of play. Even the play where Bradford got hurt, he got the ball away no problem and barely got touched -- just fell awkwardly on an already gimped knee. Any difficulty they've had protecting the quarterback this preseason is from later in games, from guys who aren't going to see the field stuck behind Long, Saffold, et al, or from guys who are about to be cut altogether.

The Rams' OL is pretty much stacked. No idea where you're getting your insight, but I'd ask for my money back. Team's got some real problems, but OL ain't one.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:

Almost all of the sacks (7+) this preseason were given up by backups. 1 sack and 2 QB hits were given up by Robinson, but hey, he's a rookie and he has to learn somehow.

The worst pass blockers from last year (Chris Williams, Harvey Dahl and Shelley Smith) are gone. The remaining starters (Long, Wells, Saffold and Barksdale) all graded out well last year for pass blocking. Add to that group the 2nd pick in this years draft. If Long gets healthy this will be a good group.

Hill should do very well behind the power running Rams and their o-line. He won't be asked to do too much, but he still has plenty of weapons to throw to.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Hmm. Is that why they are second in sacks allowed so far this preseason, along with a starting QB out for the year?The last 2 years they have given up 2 sacks per game or more, and that's not counting hits, pressures, hurries...
They trotted the backups out with the rest of the starting offense against GB, and even still, they didn't give up a single sack.The game against Cleveland was the first time they had anything resembling the starters out there, and they completely dominated the much-ballyhooed Browns' defense in every aspect of play. Even the play where Bradford got hurt, he got the ball away no problem and barely got touched -- just fell awkwardly on an already gimped knee. Any difficulty they've had protecting the quarterback this preseason is from later in games, from guys who aren't going to see the field stuck behind Long, Saffold, et al, or from guys who are about to be cut altogether.

The Rams' OL is pretty much stacked. No idea where you're getting your insight, but I'd ask for my money back. Team's got some real problems, but OL ain't one.
NFL.com?

38 sacks last year is not a problem? Cool.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Hmm. Is that why they are second in sacks allowed so far this preseason, along with a starting QB out for the year?The last 2 years they have given up 2 sacks per game or more, and that's not counting hits, pressures, hurries...
They trotted the backups out with the rest of the starting offense against GB, and even still, they didn't give up a single sack.The game against Cleveland was the first time they had anything resembling the starters out there, and they completely dominated the much-ballyhooed Browns' defense in every aspect of play. Even the play where Bradford got hurt, he got the ball away no problem and barely got touched -- just fell awkwardly on an already gimped knee. Any difficulty they've had protecting the quarterback this preseason is from later in games, from guys who aren't going to see the field stuck behind Long, Saffold, et al, or from guys who are about to be cut altogether.

NFL.com?

OG's Robinson and Saffold will maul people in the running game.

Shaun Hill is very capable of managing the offense, he's a solid veteran. In Detroit, he wasn't much worse than Stafford early in his career. Hill is capable of passing the ball, he isn't just a guy who has to hand the ball off. He doesn't have the arm strength of a Bradford or Stafford but he's gutsy in the pocket and will make the most out of this opportunity. I think Rams fans won't miss Bradford as much as they fear.

NFL.com?

:mellow:

It was 36 and that was good for 8th best in the NFL. The worst was Miami with 58.

There's no doubt he can be better than Bradford. Bradford was pretty average. Hill's numbers as a starter best both of Bradford's full seasons.

In Hill's last stint as a starter, his offensive line was definitely worse than what this Rams line should be when everyone is healthy. Also, Calvin is about all Hill had in 2010 to throw the ball to other than maybe Jahvid Best.

I'm not comparing Britt and Quick to Calvin but if you're going to chuck it to somebody, you could do a lot worse than 2 big physical receivers like these.

The Ram's defense should give Hill more opportunities than the 2010 Lions as well.
This.

Hill has performed well recently when in place of Bradford...actually BETTER! They even mentioned it on Mike and Mike I think where they said Hill has played better than Bradford when he's been put in.

I wouldn't worry about Britt and Quick or whomever the WRs are. If Hill likes to chuck it downfield it may effect Tavon Austin's number more since there won't be as many check downs to him in the slot.

With that STL Defense and a solid running game I suspect Hill will be respectable. Probably low to mid 20s for TDs and 14 or so INTs. I'm thinking something like Alex Smith numbers with more turnovers maybe.

NFL.com?38 sacks last year is not a problem? Cool.

It was 36 and that was good for 8th best in the NFL. The worst was Miami with 58.
I misread. 36.But is 8th best "good"? Not hardly.

Broncos QBs were sacked 20 times last season on 675 attempts. The second best, Detroit, was sacked 23 times on 634 attempts. Yes, the same Detroit Shaun Hill "put up better numbers with a worse oline" Detroit.

How many times did the Rams throw? 506. 5th fewest in the league. Only behind mobile QB offenses Seattle, SF, Carolina, and the Jets.

So, again, if getting sacked more than twice per game, while throwing the 5th least passes in the league is good? Fine by me.

NFL.com?38 sacks last year is not a problem? Cool.

Broncos QBs were sacked 20 times last season on 675 attempts. The second best, Detroit, was sacked 23 times on 634 attempts. Yes, the same Detroit Shaun Hill "put up better numbers with a worse oline" Detroit.

How many times did the Rams throw? 506. 5th fewest in the league. Only behind mobile QB offenses Seattle, SF, Carolina, and the Jets.

So, again, if getting sacked more than twice per game, while throwing the 5th least passes in the league is good? Fine by me.
And add the #2 pick in the draft to that mix. They'll be even better this year than last, and last year they were already good. In the preseason, especially once some starters got big minutes against the best D they've faced so far, they were dominant.

Not sure if trolling or obtuse, but either way, not worth communicating with you any further. :shrug:

I trust readers to be able to separate the good info from the bad.

If you go by sack rate (sacks/pass att), Stl was 16th. Not terrible but not good. Not necessarily a telling stat though as the worst teams in sack rate are Seattle, NYJ, Mia, Sf with Philly and Car sitting at 7 & 8.

If you go by sack rate (sacks/pass att), Stl was 16th. Not terrible but not good. Not necessarily a telling stat though as the worst teams in sack rate are Seattle, NYJ, Mia, Sf with Philly and Car sitting at 7 & 8.
Maybe it's Stacy's 3.9 yards per carry that makes them a good oline. They were 17th in yards per rush as a team.

I don't believe they had all the starts in the first two games at any time. Not sure about game 3, but pretty sure they weren't in for that game either. Oh, and it's preseason. Making broad generalizations based on preseason is generally nothing more than folly...

Maybe it's Stacy's 3.9 yards per carry that makes them a good oline. They were 17th in yards per rush as a team.
Gee, I don't know. Maybe teams set up to stop the run and stop the run only with Clemens at QB and no WR's of note. But hey, troll on...

What physical limitations? I realize that he isn't going to outrun anybody, but I was the under the impression that his arm strength was at least average.

And add the #2 pick in the draft to that mix. They'll be even better this year than last, and last year they were already good. In the preseason, especially once some starters got big minutes against the best D they've faced so far, they were dominant.

Not sure if trolling or obtuse, but either way, not worth communicating with you any further. :shrug:

I trust readers to be able to separate the good info from the bad.
I'm thinking obtuse is the case here. I mean, comparing Den to StL... really? Peyton knows when to get rid of the ball. Clemens, probably not so much. That plays as much a part in sack numbers as the offensive line does.

Either way, this line is probably "good not great" which is fine by me. With Arizona losing Dockett and StL facing Seattle in week 17, this division isn't as scary for fantasy purposes as it seemed a few months ago.

Still not sure which WR to target late - Britt or Quick. And I'm wondering how important handcuffing Cunningham is if I land Stacy. This is going to be an interesting offense to watch this season. Could be some surprising value out of what appears to be a rather unexciting offense.

Shaun Hill is very capable of managing the offense, he's a solid veteran. In Detroit, he wasn't much worse than Stafford early in his career. Hill is capable of passing the ball, he isn't just a guy who has to hand the ball off. He doesn't have the arm strength of a Bradford or Stafford but he's gutsy in the pocket and will make the most out of this opportunity. I think Rams fans won't miss Bradford as much as they fear.
Having watched them both pllay I'd say Hill is an upgrade. He's not the LT solution, but when they find a way to get rid of the albatross that is Bradford's contract there should be much rejoicing in St Louis. It will be figuratively and literally liberating to take the cap hit and move forward.I doubt many Rams fans view it as such ATM, but this season ending injury has the potential to be a defining moment in the turnaround of the franchise.

Having watched them both pllay I'd say Hill is an upgrade. He's not the LT solution, but when they find a way to get rid of the albatross that is Bradford's contract there should be much rejoicing in St Louis. It will be figuratively and literally liberating to take the cap hit and move forward.I doubt many Rams fans view it as such ATM, but this season ending injury has the potential to be a defining moment in the turnaround of the franchise.
Rams fans are probably the most likely to see it as that.

Users who are viewing this thread