What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Move? Trading older players for younger risky players. (1 Viewer)

Sunday Devil

Footballguy
I am thinking if it is a worthy move to ship out Steve Smith, arguably in his prime for a player like Collie or Crabman or any other player you guys think has a value similar to these guys?

Would you stick with Steve Smith or go younger WR right now that the value on a player like Collie or Crab is low?

Thanks

I am thinking if it is a worthy move to ship out Steve Smith, arguably in his prime for a player like Collie or Crabman or any other player you guys think has a value similar to these guys?Would you stick with Steve Smith or go younger WR right now that the value on a player like Collie or Crab is low?Thanks
...or Hoeshmazode. Championship!

I am thinking if it is a worthy move to ship out Steve Smith, arguably in his prime for a player like Collie or Crabman or any other player you guys think has a value similar to these guys?Would you stick with Steve Smith or go younger WR right now that the value on a player like Collie or Crab is low?Thanks
Stick with Smith

Do you plan on trying to win this year's Championship?If so, keep him.If not, trade him.Herm Edwards: "You play to win the game!"

Do you plan on trying to win this year's Championship?If so, keep him.If not, trade him.Herm Edwards: "You play to win the game!"
What he said.

I have Smith, and won't be moving him (won the league last year). I also have Boldin, who I will also keep, as we can start up to 4 WRs and he is useful on bye weeks and in case of injury.

If you have a good team and are a semi-competent owner, there really isn't anything wrong with having a productive player retire off of your team.

After this trade my WRs are:AJ GreenJulio JonesJordy Nelson Greg LittleAustin CollieMIchael CrabtreeLeonard HankersonMike Williams (TB)I already made the trade this morning. The other team accepted my trade. I might have jumped the gun on Smith, but i was worried I wouldn't not be able to move him next year at 34 years old. Hopefully I don't regret this decision.

After this trade my WRs are:AJ GreenJulio JonesJordy Nelson Greg LittleAustin CollieMIchael CrabtreeLeonard HankersonMike Williams (TB)I already made the trade this morning. The other team accepted my trade. I might have jumped the gun on Smith, but i was worried I wouldn't not be able to move him next year at 34 years old. Hopefully I don't regret this decision.
Looks like you scored Crabman. :popcorn:

Or Collie or Crabman and Collie

I have Smith, and won't be moving him (won the league last year). I also have Boldin, who I will also keep, as we can start up to 4 WRs and he is useful on bye weeks and in case of injury.If you have a good team and are a semi-competent owner, there really isn't anything wrong with having a productive player retire off of your team.
I'll readily trade my older bench players for young guns, but I completely agree with your second comment.

This belongs in the lopsided trade thread. You got hijacked son.
I don't know about all that...Smitty for Crabtree and Collie doesn't look THAT horrible to me. Not to mention, it looks like Smith would have been his WR4 even if he had kept him (AJ Green, Julio, Jody Nelson), so unloading him for 2 younger guys who MIGHT turn out is not a terrible idea.Now if Smith had been his WR1 and he had gotten that, then I may have had a different opinion. But in dynasty, for HIS situation, I don't mind it at all.

'gandalas said:
'Nicolas Cocaign said:
I don't know about all that...Smitty for Crabtree and Collie doesn't look THAT horrible to me. Not to mention, it looks like Smith would have been his WR4 even if he had kept him (AJ Green, Julio, Jody Nelson), so unloading him for 2 younger guys who MIGHT turn out is not a terrible idea.Now if Smith had been his WR1 and he had gotten that, then I may have had a different opinion. But in dynasty, for HIS situation, I don't mind it at all.
Um...Smith is a better fantasy WR this year than every other WR on his roster, so he was his WR1.

Last edited by a moderator:
'gandalas said:
'Nicolas Cocaign said:
Um...Smith is a better fantasy WR this year than every other WR on his roster, so he was his WR1.
How much youth can one have. ON this team(and I like the trade) Smith might have been better as what has Julio Jones proven yet. Even Green is not as good as Smith maybe for this year. I know most expect huge things but not sure about that. I see Nelson, Smith and Green as the top 3. Still had Little and TB Mike for youth also and Hankerson. So we will see how it plays out because I did not mind the move either. Just hope it does not cost you a championship and Jones becomes a go to guy this year with Roddy still there. But you still have the ability to send 2 younger guys on later for maybe a younger equal WR if needed which is never bad. At trade deadline some owners who are out want to part with the older guy like Smith for less before they might get nothing.

Bad trade, bad thread.
I have to say I disagree, mostly. The idea of trading out older players before they are worthless (like LT is now) is the shark move, I just think this guy could have gotten more for Smith.Take my team for instance, we start 2 WRs, but have 2 flex - so we can start up to 4 each week but then only start 1 RB (non PPR).My WRs are Calvin, Nicks, D Thomas, Vincent Jackson, and Crabtree (aka Crabman).I've been trying all offseason to move V Jax for a younger WR - Bowe, Blackmon, Maclin, even Torrey Smith....no bites. I'm willing to take a slight hit in production from my WR#4 (should D Thomas and Manning really connect) so that maybe I'll have a stronger WR#3 option in year 2, 3 and 4.

'gandalas said:
'Nicolas Cocaign said:
If you think Steve Smith is a better WR (this year OR future) than AJ Green or Julio Jones, then I don't know what to tell you. Jordy is questionable, but he did outscore Smitty last season, correct?So, if you want to go by last year's stats like you apparently are, then Jordy was his #1 WR, and Smith would have been his #2. However, I'll just go by the consensus dynasty rankings here:AJ Green - #3Julio Jones - #7Jordy Nelson - #19Steve Smith - #25Or the Redraft even:AJ Green - #5Julio Jones - #8Jordy Nelson - #13Steve Smith - #14

Last edited by a moderator:
'gandalas said:
'Nicolas Cocaign said:
If you think Steve Smith is a better WR (this year OR future) than AJ Green or Julio Jones, then I don't know what to tell you. Jordy is questionable, but he did outscore Smitty last season, correct?So, if you want to go by last year's stats like you apparently are, then Jordy was his #1 WR, and Smith would have been his #2. However, I'll just go by the consensus dynasty rankings here:AJ Green - #3Julio Jones - #7Jordy Nelson - #19Steve Smith - #25Or the Redraft even:AJ Green - #5Julio Jones - #8Jordy Nelson - #13Steve Smith - #14
Good point. I do a gree I should of got more in return. But I am happy with Collie on my team. Reports out of training camp say he is was Lucks favorite target.

Did I say I was going by last year's stats? No.Are AJ Green, Julio Jones and Jordy Nelson good WR1s? AJ Green is...Julio and Nelson have the potential to be. The fact that their first productive fantasy years consisted of pretty much ONLY big plays...I put them at WR2 with great potential to be WR1s. I look for more consistency and dependability in a WR1.Do I believe AJ Green will do better than last year? No, because of Dalton.Do I believe Julio Jones will breakout this season? No, because I like Atlanta and they hype up their offense every year and I'm tired of believing it. I believe it will take another year.Steve Smith was his top WR in my opinion...he downgraded at WR1 to AJ Green...which is a minuscule downgrade that probably won't even be noticed...like .01 fantasy points per week minuscule. The point is...he still traded his top WR in my eyes for a guy who's going to be the next Jahvid Best soon with his concussions and a lazyass.

I'm a huge Steve Smith fan so I would never have done that deal, but I actually agree with the sentiment to move him now given the ridiculous WR depth on that team. I would have targeted a position with a greater need though. Not knowing if he's contending, building or somewhere in the middle I'll throw some suggestions out there anyway

QB - Ben? Matt Ryan? Locker?

RB - Fred Jackson? Frank Gore? Roy Helu + something? David Wilson? A package featuring Ronnie Hillman? Ben Tate +?

TE - Gates?

I have dynasty experience but am by no means an expert, so the names I threw out are likely to be ridiculous on either end (too much, not enough). I almost deleted the names but (shrug) why not list them. I'm OK with looking foolish, wouldn't be the fiirst time ;)

Come on, this is fantasy 101, its not about who you like better its about value. Steve smith is consensus Wr 26 in dynasty, Collie is 51. You could have got Collie for a bag of balls and traded Smith to upgrade elsewhere. Bad trade because you could have got Collie and more, should have.

Wow wish I had Steve nd could trade him to some of you. He has 1 year left if that in his tank, you just don't see WRs really go past 30-31 let alone 35. I wouldn't give up Collie and Crabtree for Smith, yes it's an upgrade but really for 1 year. People could have said the same thing about Reggie Wayne, Moss, Ocho, Owens all recently. I shop my 30+ WRs nonstop to see if someone pays redraft value for them.

And there are teams looking to win this season that would pay for Smith in a heartbeat. Smith would get you a late 1st round pick, and you could buy Collie for a late second or less. Thats a huge value gap left on the table.

And there are teams looking to win this season that would pay for Smith in a heartbeat. Smith would get you a late 1st round pick, and you could buy Collie for a late second or less. Thats a huge value gap left on the table.
And he received both Crab and Collie not just Collie, if you look at his roster you will notice both.

P.S. thanks for keeping us updated on your every fantasy football move. Especially the ones you've already made and are masking as advice questions. I can now sleep at night knowing that Crabman is on your team.

I'm considering doing the same. Considering trading Andre Johnson at $24 salary cap hit for Percy Harvin $19 in a dynasty league. It takes a lot of nerve to pull that, so I'm not there, but I am considering it and i totally understand where the OP is coming from.

I'm considering doing the same. Considering trading Andre Johnson at $24 salary cap hit for Percy Harvin $19 in a dynasty league. It takes a lot of nerve to pull that, so I'm not there, but I am considering it and i totally understand where the OP is coming from.
The two aren't really the same. Percy himself is a stud. You're trading a stud for stud. The OP traded a stud for ?s.

'Warrior said:
I like Crabman. Seriously, Crabman.
Agreed. Please trade away your good players for Crabman. Go with Crabman. All day, brohan.
I'd be pinching myself if that's all I needed to give up to get Crabman. I'd be itching to do that deal. The other guy must be some kind of hermit. Crabman makes the deadliest catches. His legs look delicious when he runs routes. Just make sure you don't get the artificial Crabman, that guy's gross.

'lbouchard said:
'eefflrat said:
The two aren't really the same. Percy himself is a stud. You're trading a stud for stud. The OP traded a stud for ?s.
Percy has the potential to be a stud, but he gained extra value last year because he was a scat back wr the last few weeks of the year. You can't count on that this year, and where Percy excelled in the short game you have to think Kyle Rudolph is going to dip into that this year. I'm not convinced Percy is going to have as good a year as last year, but I think it's worth the risk he gets better.

Percy has the potential to be a stud, but he gained extra value last year because he was a scat back wr the last few weeks of the year. You can't count on that this year, and where Percy excelled in the short game you have to think Kyle Rudolph is going to dip into that this year. I'm not convinced Percy is going to have as good a year as last year, but I think it's worth the risk he gets better.
Percy Harvin was pulled in the red zone by the Vikes last year and if anything will take on a greater role in the running game with AP out. I have him in return yardage leagues and my concern is they may limit his special teams touches as a result.

Or Collie or Crabman and Collie
And none of them will sniff the starting lineup.

You did a great job! You got younger in a position in which you have depth. I too like to move 30+ vets for younger studs them potential!!!

Thumbs up!

What he said.
I agree. It depends on your team, if you are in a win now mode or rebuild. I traded Gore for D. Brown and 2012 2nd. Helps I am deep at RB, not that trilled with Brown but rather get something for Gore

Users who are viewing this thread