What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scottie Sheffler On Defining "Success" (4 Viewers)

I don't blame the police at all, I'm sure Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident rather than take it slow and show some respect for the officers forced to be out there

Really? How could you possibly be SURE of that.

Obviously we dont know exactly what "the officer attached himself to the car" means. (and if he was holding on and Scottie kept driving and dragged him, that's obviously not ok) but 99.9999% chance this was just a misunderstanding compounded with it being dark and rainy and things just got out of hand. I seriously doubt Scottie just said "Oh well....gotta get to the putting green" and slalomed through a police barricade doing 30.
I'll tell you why...for the exact reasons I cannot even believe I'm reading...
In this day and age where police are under scrutiny to start with, I assume if it got to that level and they told everyone watching that he was going to jail no getting around it, figured he did not do exactly what they asked or expected of him.
We're talking about the #1 golfer in the world and we've seen what Tiger has done in the past, I put nothing pat golfers, played 18 holes a week ago and saw some crazy stuff while I was out there, just assumed but OK, let's give SS the benefit of the doubt, sure

-I live in Jupiter/Palm Beach, golf capital it seems and I run/part-owner of a small craft beer store on the weekends, tons of golf folks in the store when I'm there...they can be very assumptive sometimes because they seem to have the funds to make any issues go away

Just my experiences

Ok....so because a bunch of schmuck weekend hackers and rich Florida people acted like idiots.....you're SURE that Scottie Scheffler (who before this incident had a SPOTLESS record of conduct and by all accounts is like the nicest guy on tour despite also being the best player) "drove like a maniac" and disrespected the police. A good history doesn't mean he maybe wasn't partially (or even totally. We dont know yet) in the wrong here.....but you're SURE?.....because "you put nothing past golfers"

Makes plenty of sense. :<_<:

Just shows you how police treat so many people. They escalate everything. I'm a white old normal-as-can-be looking male and I've never had a cop be nice to me. Speeding 5 MPH over once...total asses and explained how I should slow down because I "clearly break the speed limit all time time"...only time I've gotten a speeding ticket. 5 MPH. Crossing the road at a crosswalk to a tennis event ... got put in handcuffs for 30 mins in fron tof my kids because apparently we were supposed to wait. 90% of them assume people are bad, and go from there. Rather than simply keeping the peace and being nice. Their instructions are often unclear in situations like this. I appreciate what they do, but most are HS educated and not the brightest. I may not be a Scheffler fan, but he's obviously not the type to ignore what he thinks a cop is trying to tell him. The officer yelling obscenities is pretty typical of a policeman with an inflated ego of his traffic control job. I hope this guy loses his job
I've been pulled over about 5 times in my life. Every interaction was cordial.
Not sure which side of the river you are on, but Fairfax County cops are famous in the US for traffic stops. And being angry in general. It's an enormous revenue machine for the County. MD has speed cameras. VA uses their police to hand out tickets as often as possible. I live within 100 yards of a police station in the burbs. I watch them stop people every day within a minute of them pulling out of their back parking lot. Gotta hit the quota.
I live in Fairfax and have been pulled over twice in the county. Once I was using an "authorized vehicles only" cut-through to turn around on a road. I was a teenager for that one and even talked back (although mildly) to the cop a bit. It was a quick interaction, he was pretty nice, and let me go with a warning. The other one in Fairfax County was on the FFX County Parkway for speeding. I was speeding. I had my license and registration ready for him when he got the window. He simply told me the speed he clocked me at, wrote me the ticket, and I as on my way. I had my two sons in the car with me for that one. They were probably both elementary school age. They got a good laugh out of it.

Pulled over once in Loudoun County for going way too much over the speed limit and it was also after midnight. I think I had my license for only a couple months for that one. He notified me that if he wrote me the ticket that I could lose my license until I turned 18 and then he let me off with a warning.

Also pulled over for speeding in Luray, VA, and Jackson, TN. Got tickets for both of those, but the officers were nice enough. Similar to the one above, they were basically just situations where I had my info ready when they arrived at the car, they wrote the ticket, and I was on my way. I actually even remember the Luray guy being super nice.

And then there was one time in Miami that I moved over a couple lanes to make an exit on the other side of the road. I guess I'd say that guy was a bit jerkish, but nothing bad. When he looked at my license and address in some place called Fairfax, VA, he assumed it was a small town and warned me, with a tiny bit of attitude, what it's like to drive in a big city. Just a warning for that one, too.

I feel like I should have another time or two, but they aren't coming to mind.

I suppose it's possible that he's completely different from every description we've ever heard of the guy and when the cop gave him a direction he said "Nah, I don't think I'm going to do that" and drove away.

But I completely doubt it.
You doubt that an uber wealthy athlete may think that certain rules aren't for him? I can certainly imagine a scenario where a cop tells him to not drive a certain way, and he was maybe like "nah, doesn't this guy know who I am? And decides to drive around anyway"

I suppose it's possible that he's completely different from every description we've ever heard of the guy and when the cop gave him a direction he said "Nah, I don't think I'm going to do that" and drove away.

You doubt that an uber wealthy athlete may think that certain rules aren't for him? I can certainly imagine a scenario where a cop tells him to not drive a certain way, and he was maybe like "nah, doesn't this guy know who I am? And decides to drive around anyway"
A generic athlete like you've described? Sure.

Not that we're besties but... Scheffler? No, I don't think he does that.

In post round interview, Scottie complimentary of police that brought him in. Confident "it" will be taken care off. Seems a little nervous joking.

This story kinds of sums up what I think about the media and news nowadays:
  • Story about a random celebrity that 90% of the world has never heard of and 99.9% couldn’t pick out of a lineup becomes a big story.
  • Nobody appears to know what really happened but yet there’s hot takes all over
  • The real story is the individual who tragically died but is now a footnote. I at least appreciate Scheffler pointing that out in his statement
  • Media and reporting is horrible all around

• Story about a random celebrity that 90% of the world has never heard of and 99.9% couldn’t pick out of a lineup becomes a big story.
  • Nobody appears to know what really happened but yet there’s hot takes all over
  • The real story is the individual who tragically died but is now a footnote. I at least appreciate Scheffler pointing that out in his statement
Multiple reporters are citing eye witness testimony as to what happened. I wasn't there. I don't know. They could have even made up the witness testimony.

As a Kentuckian, I HATE that the police became a story this weekend. This was a big deal for Louisville and the state. And now it will be remembered as the place where the hot headed cop arrested the PGA's biggest star.

It's possible Scheffler did something bad. But Man, I'd need to see it. He was rolling through with his visible PGA credentials. Maybe you don't love that he drove through or something. Does it need to end up as the biggest news story nation wide though? C'mon. Follow him until he parks and give him a talk or a warning or a ticket. That this ever became such an ordeal--when there were much bigger issues at hand--is a failure.

Multiple reporters are citing eye witness testimony as to what happened. I wasn't there. I don't know. They could have even made up the witness testimony.

As a Kentuckian, I HATE that the police became a story this weekend. This was a big deal for Louisville and the state. And now it will be remembered as the place where the hot headed cop arrested the PGA's biggest star.

It's possible Scheffler did something bad. But Man, I'd need to see it. He was rolling through with his visible PGA credentials. Maybe you don't love that he drove through or something. Does it need to end up as the biggest news story nation wide though? C'mon. Follow him until he parks and give him a talk or a warning or a ticket. That this ever became such an ordeal--when there were much bigger issues at hand--is a failure.

Yeah - I don’t follow golf as much any more but Scottie seems like a really good dude - problem nowadays is even if they drop charges and it’s all good there will be tons of stories about it. To me, it’s almost a complete non-story. If he had missed his tee time or if more info comes out that Scottie was an entitled a-hole to the officer then maybe I’ll change my view.

Just shows you how police treat so many people. They escalate everything. I'm a white old normal-as-can-be looking male and I've never had a cop be nice to me. Speeding 5 MPH over once...total asses and explained how I should slow down because I "clearly break the speed limit all time time"...only time I've gotten a speeding ticket. 5 MPH. Crossing the road at a crosswalk to a tennis event ... got put in handcuffs for 30 mins in fron tof my kids because apparently we were supposed to wait. 90% of them assume people are bad, and go from there. Rather than simply keeping the peace and being nice. Their instructions are often unclear in situations like this. I appreciate what they do, but most are HS educated and not the brightest. I may not be a Scheffler fan, but he's obviously not the type to ignore what he thinks a cop is trying to tell him. The officer yelling obscenities is pretty typical of a policeman with an inflated ego of his traffic control job. I hope this guy loses his job
I've been pulled over about 5 times in my life. Every interaction was cordial.
Yeah this is true I've had the same experience, if you're a white guy in a honda civic and is polite like I am most likely will be cordial

Obviously, still not much information. But that he dragged the cop 15-20 yards seems to be somewhat confirmed by Darlington.

His defense so far was that he didn't know it was a cop. I can understand that. With the neon green vests, it would be hard to tell they were cops.

But that still begs the question, just who the heck did he think he was dragging with his car for 15-20 yards?

So, at the site where a maintenance worker was killed by a shuttle bus for a golf tournament, a golfer drug a person 15 yards assuming it was "just" a working class person. And that's his best defense.

I won't say more because I'm already too close to PSF type stuff, but if Scottie drug somebody 15 yards with his car, I'd love to know who he thought that human being was and in what circumstance that would be okay.

Obviously, still not much information. But that he dragged the cop 15-20 yards seems to be somewhat confirmed by Darlington.

His defense so far was that he didn't know it was a cop. I can understand that. With the neon green vests, it would be hard to tell they were cops.

But that still begs the question, just who the heck did he think he was dragging with his car for 15-20 yards?

So, at the site where a maintenance worker was killed by a shuttle bus for a golf tournament, a golfer drug a person 15 yards assuming it was "just" a working class person. And that's his best defense.

I won't say more because I'm already too close to PSF type stuff, but if Scottie drug somebody 15 yards with his car, I'd love to know who he thought that human being was and in what circumstance that would be okay.
Meh.

Or a guy following the orders given to him by the cops along the way saw a dude freak out at him, so he said the cops told me to go this way and showed his credential, not thinking much of it, and then realized the guy had latched onto his freaking car and stopped. At even 5mph 15 yards happens pretty quickly…

No one knew what all the commotion was in traffic until later. There was an accident in that same spot yesterday.

Scheffler presser said he had no idea someone was killed and he sent his condolences to the family.

Based on what I've heard seems one poor giant misunderstanding.... He was seen shaking hands after the round with a couple officers

Meh.

Or a guy following the orders given to him by the cops along the way saw a dude freak out at him, so he said the cops told me to go this way and showed his credential, not thinking much of it, and then realized the guy had latched onto his freaking car and stopped. At even 5mph 15 yards happens pretty quickly…
Could be.

It's just the only video we have is Scottie saying "I didn't know it was a cop".

You're theory might be right, but in that circumstance, I'd expect him to be saying "I didn't know someone was attached/stuck to my car".

Do any of you know of any truly innocent person that defended themselves by saying "I didn't know it was a cop!"

Not that they weren't legally innocent. But someone who just really didn't do anything wrong, and the best they can say for themselves is....I didn't know it was a cop!

Do any of you know of any truly innocent person that defended themselves by saying "I didn't know it was a cop!"

Not that they weren't legally innocent. But someone who just really didn't do anything wrong, and the best they can say for themselves is....I didn't know it was a cop!
You want him to be a **** so bad .....

Ftr when he said he didn't know it was a cop he meant the SUV he went around

I really don't care. It's golf and some dude named Scottie with an IE.

Just going off the only words I heard out of his mouth in the moment. Of course, we still know so little.

I couldn't find anything in that link regarding him referring to an SUV, but I totally could've missed it.

What I'm really finding out is that golf must be in a good spot.

I'm really shocked by the number of people willing to defend this guy to the end with no details.

Meh.

15 yards is about 3 car lengths.

I'm really shocked by the number of people willing to defend this guy to the end with no details.
Again it's not "golf" that's being given the benefit of the doubt here - it's Scheffler specifically.
.None of us know him personally (I don't think) but by every account he's among the classiest celebrities out there. So yeah, when a guy has a cache of goodwill built up people are going to assume the best, not worst.

The schadenfreude is what's coming across as weird in this instance

I get your point, but you have on one hand a dude that's just the most chill dude ever, humble, always answers all reporters questions, just seems to be nice to everyone all the time.

Then on the other hand you have the same police department that is already nationally famous for police brutality/overreaction.

And to top it all off you have a reporter video where they appear to be acting like complete jerks until they hear the guy is a member of the media and put on a phony nice face instantly.

Maybe this will be like the Tyreek deal where it seems obvious it went one way but actually went the other, but this is an internet forum so we're allowed to speculate here. And each side has rightly earned their doubt/goodwill.

Wait, who died?

Wait, who died?
This guy

I get your point, but you have on one hand a dude that's just the most chill dude ever, humble, always answers all reporters questions, just seems to be nice to everyone all the time.
This is key to me. He just seems like a really nice dude. Sure, it could all be an act. :shrug:

Wait, who died?
A guy walking to work was struck by a shuttle and killed.

That's why all the police were there and traffic and commotion that was happening

We have plenty of details. There are still some significant unknowns, but Jeff Darlington’s account seemed to back Scheffler’s story more than the police’s story.

And while we obviously know that tons of seemingly clean celebrities/athletes turned out to be jerks, Scheffler has a pretty sterling and vanilla reputation.

We also know that the Louisville police department is the one that killed Breonna Taylor, covered it up, lied, etc. and that the federal government found that they use abusive restraint holds and routinely use invalid search warrants. Part of that investigation found that “For years, LMPD has practiced an aggressive style of policing that it deploys selectively”.

So those are some of the details that we know and why a lot of people are backing Scheffler on this.

Wait, who died?
A guy walking to work was struck by a shuttle and killed.

That's why all the police were there and traffic and commotion that was happening
Oh I see. I thought that he was indicating that scheffler somehow caused someone’s death.

Other than the other golfers’ tourney hopes

I like to imagine Scheffler behind the scenes is like Denzel in training day. King Kong ain't got nuttin on me

I bet he skips morning chapel this Sunday

Full swing in Netflix had a nice Scheffler episode

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread