What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scottie Sheffler On Defining "Success" (2 Viewers)

• 2nd degree assault on officer
  • 3rd degree criminal mischief
  • Reckless driving
  • Disregarding traffic signals from an officer direction traffic
The irony that JB threw this up a few weeks ago, I never thought I'd see this even after reading the news feed on Scheffler this morning
Sounds like he simply didn't want to wait and tried to drive around the accident since he's the #1 golfer in the world and the police were hell bent on taking him away
I don't blame the police at all, I'm sure Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident rather than take it slow and show some respect for the officers forced to be out there

-Don't think any officer was actually hurt or injured so the charges should mostly go away, he might have to do some community service
You don't REALLY think it sounds that way, right? I mean I know you're MOP but still ...

• Reckless driving
The irony that JB threw this up a few weeks ago, I never thought I'd see this even after reading the news feed on Scheffler this morning
Sounds like he simply didn't want to wait and tried to drive around the accident since he's the #1 golfer in the world and the police were hell bent on taking him away
I don't blame the police at all, I'm sure Scheffler drove like a maniac around the accident rather than take it slow and show some respect for the officers forced to be out there

-Don't think any officer was actually hurt or injured so the charges should mostly go away, he might have to do some community service
As others have pointed out, there's no reason why anybody should be sure that he was driving like a maniac. We weren't there, and that seems like a much less likely explanation than "honest miscommunication."

But more generally, there is never any downside to reserving judgement when stuff like this happens. Everybody on the planet is walking around with video cameras, and there may be body camera footage too. Why stake out a position and get invested in it when there's a good chance that that take will look foolish in the light of day?

• Reckless driving

As others have pointed out, there's no reason why anybody should be sure that he was driving like a maniac. We weren't there, and that seems like a much less likely explanation than "honest miscommunication."

But more generally, there is never any downside to reserving judgement when stuff like this happens. Everybody on the planet is walking around with video cameras, and there may be body camera footage too. Why stake out a position and get invested in it when there's a good chance that that take will look foolish in the light of day?
there are plenty of videos of the incident on Twitter and he was most definitely driving about 2 miles an hour at the most. You can hear him saying the cops down the road directed him to do what he was doing. All the other players were able to get by, but not Scotty. Sounds like a cop forgot what was going on at the golf course this week

It's all fun for a good laugh because it's Scheffler and since he's famous there's enough people watching it that everything will work out.

The crappy part is stuff like this happens every day to people that aren't Scottie Scheffler and it doesn't end up working out for them. I guess we'll see when more details come out but certainly seems at face value like a cop on a power trip wanting to be on a power trip, then doubling and tripling down when he realized he was in the wrong instead of just saying "whoops".

In the video of the guy with them taking away Scheffler in handcuffs you can see them being complete ****s to the guy with the camera, and then as soon as he says "I'm media" they get fake polite and pretend they're acting reasonably.

It's all fun for a good laugh because it's Scheffler and since he's famous there's enough people watching it that everything will work out.

The crappy part is stuff like this happens every day to people that aren't Scottie Scheffler and it doesn't end up working out for them. I guess we'll see when more details come out but certainly seems at face value like a cop on a power trip wanting to be on a power trip, then doubling and tripling down when he realized he was in the wrong instead of just saying "whoops".

In the video of the guy with them taking away Scheffler in handcuffs you can see them being complete ****s to the guy with the camera, and then as soon as he says "I'm media" they get fake polite and pretend they're acting reasonably.

The “guy with the camera” is ESPN reporter Jeff Darlington.

You have to question the competency of a police officer who can’t pause for a moment and re-assess the situation. By the time they got to the police car, you’d think he’d ask himself why the situation was playing out like it was, admonish Scheffler for not initially stopping to see what the officer wanted and let him know about the accident, and then let him go.

Instead it was escalate, escalate, escalate. And you’re right, the only reason this will end without major life altering consequences for Scheffler is because of his status.

Love this part of the article, which is total Scottie through an through:

Shortly before his scheduled second round 10:08 a.m. ET tee time, Scheffler released a statement about the incident.

"This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers. It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do. I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I'm hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today.
"Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective."
Scheffler began his round by hitting a birdie putt to move within four strokes of leader Xander Schauffele.

I find it incredibly hard to believe the Scheffler purposely struck/knocked down/dragged the officer with his car. There were other witnesses of the aftermath (him being led away) but it doesn't seem like anyone has come out and refuted that piece directly.

Not sure what the Louisville PD Body cam situation is post Breonna Taylor, but you would think they'd have them.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I'd like to know what "attached himself" to the car really means. Did he throw himself on the hood or something?
My assumption is "clutched hard on a door handle, mirror, etc. and refuse to let go as the car was moving". The following is all speculation, but feasible:

Sheffler was likely driving slowly enough that the door-clutching officer could quick-step and stay upright for a distance, which would likely be interpreted as "I was being dragged, because I was holding on and he was supposed to stop but he didn't". It's also possible the officer, in the middle of door-holding and quick-stepping, lost his footing and fell to the ground. In the moment, that would PO an officer and lead to escalation 9 times out of 10.

• Thanks
Seems like both sides are doubling down.

Scheffler lawyer statement on the incident

Meanwhile Louisville PD now reporting that the officer, who I think is the same one seen in Darlington's video marching Scheffler in cuffs without any sign of a hitch in his giddy-up, has been "transported to the hospital for treatment by emergency medical personnel, after being dragged by Scheffler's vehicle". Sadly, it also notes that his uniform pants, valued at $80, were damaged "beyond repair".

Meanwhile Louisville PD now reporting that the officer, who I think is the same one seen in Darlington's video marching Scheffler in cuffs without any sign of a hitch in his giddy-up, has been "transported to the hospital for treatment by emergency medical personnel, after being dragged by Scheffler's vehicle". Sadly, it also notes that his uniform pants, valued at $80, were damaged "beyond repair".
Do cops ever not double down?

Just shows you how police treat so many people. They escalate everything. I'm a white old normal-as-can-be looking male and I've never had a cop be nice to me. Speeding 5 MPH over once...total asses and explained how I should slow down because I "clearly break the speed limit all time time"...only time I've gotten a speeding ticket. 5 MPH. Crossing the road at a crosswalk to a tennis event ... got put in handcuffs for 30 mins in fron tof my kids because apparently we were supposed to wait. 90% of them assume people are bad, and go from there. Rather than simply keeping the peace and being nice. Their instructions are often unclear in situations like this. I appreciate what they do, but most are HS educated and not the brightest. I may not be a Scheffler fan, but he's obviously not the type to ignore what he thinks a cop is trying to tell him. The officer yelling obscenities is pretty typical of a policeman with an inflated ego of his traffic control job. I hope this guy loses his job

According to a Louisville Metro Police report obtained, Scheffler was trying to gain access to the golf course when he was stopped by an officer wearing a full police uniform and a yellow reflective rain jacket. The officer, identified as Det. Bryan Gillis, stopped Scheffler and attempted to give instructions.
“Subject refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground,” the report states .

The detective suffered pain, swelling and abrasions to his left wrist and knee and was taken to the hospital for further treatment, the report states. His uniform pants, valued at about $80, “were damaged beyond repair,” the report adds.
Current reporting: https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/17/sport/scottie-scheffler-detained/index.html

Louisville police are expected to make a statement about the arrest on Friday after reviewing video of the incident, a senior law enforcement official said. Preliminary information indicates an officer tried to stop Scheffler from going around the detour, and Scheffler‘s car made contact with that officer.

LMPD in full PR mode. Need to make things look/sound as bad as they can. Oh, he was badly hurt. He had to go to the ER.

As a Kentuckian, this is such an embarrassment. IIRC, this is the first major PGA event at Valhalla in 10 years. Should have been a huge weekend. Instead, they've given the whole thing a huge black eye. I'm sure the PGA is dying to schedule their next event in Louisville.

According to a Louisville Metro Police report obtained, Scheffler was trying to gain access to the golf course when he was stopped by an officer wearing a full police uniform and a yellow reflective rain jacket. The officer, identified as Det. Bryan Gillis, stopped Scheffler and attempted to give instructions.
“Subject refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground,” the report states .

The detective suffered pain, swelling and abrasions to his left wrist and knee and was taken to the hospital for further treatment, the report states. His uniform pants, valued at about $80, “were damaged beyond repair,” the report adds.
Current reporting: https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/17/sport/scottie-scheffler-detained/index.html

Louisville police are expected to make a statement about the arrest on Friday after reviewing video of the incident, a senior law enforcement official said. Preliminary information indicates an officer tried to stop Scheffler from going around the detour, and Scheffler‘s car made contact with that officer.
Really hope they show the video. If it's as bad as they say it is, no reason not to.

• Thanks

Oh no! The pants are beyond repair. Yikes!! Next we're gonna find out the shoes are scuffed.

Really hope they show the video. If it's as bad as they say it is, no reason not to.

Yup, hope we get to see this. If we don't, we know it's not bad at all.

you gotta figure this was some kind of miscommunication. also, at 5a maybe not everyone is on full rest? i am just surprised they didn’t put scheffler in leg shackles and a spit mask.

Oh no! The pants are beyond repair. Yikes!! Next we're gonna find out the shoes are scuffed.

Yup, hope we get to see this. If we don't, we know it's not bad at all.

I think normally the video isn't released while charges are still pending, so doubtful we see it until either they are dropped, settled, or brought to trial.

Holy Crap Your pants, Batman!

Just shows you how police treat so many people. They escalate everything. I'm a white old normal-as-can-be looking male and I've never had a cop be nice to me. Speeding 5 MPH over once...total asses and explained how I should slow down because I "clearly break the speed limit all time time"...only time I've gotten a speeding ticket. 5 MPH. Crossing the road at a crosswalk to a tennis event ... got put in handcuffs for 30 mins in fron tof my kids because apparently we were supposed to wait. 90% of them assume people are bad, and go from there. Rather than simply keeping the peace and being nice. Their instructions are often unclear in situations like this. I appreciate what they do, but most are HS educated and not the brightest. I may not be a Scheffler fan, but he's obviously not the type to ignore what he thinks a cop is trying to tell him. The officer yelling obscenities is pretty typical of a policeman with an inflated ego of his traffic control job. I hope this guy loses his job
I've been pulled over about 5 times in my life. Every interaction was cordial.

Same. Well, I've been pulled over more than just 5 times, but it's been at least a decade since anybody actually wrote me a ticket. It's all warnings and "have a good day, sir" these days. Of course, I'm older now and I live in a very laid-back part of the country. I don't doubt Brunnell's account of his experiences.

Really? How could you possibly be SURE of that.

Obviously we dont know exactly what "the officer attached himself to the car" means. (and if he was holding on and Scottie kept driving and dragged him, that's obviously not ok) but 99.9999% chance this was just a misunderstanding compounded with it being dark and rainy and things just got out of hand. I seriously doubt Scottie just said "Oh well....gotta get to the putting green" and slalomed through a police barricade doing 30.
I'll tell you why...for the exact reasons I cannot even believe I'm reading...
In this day and age where police are under scrutiny to start with, I assume if it got to that level and they told everyone watching that he was going to jail no getting around it, figured he did not do exactly what they asked or expected of him.
We're talking about the #1 golfer in the world and we've seen what Tiger has done in the past, I put nothing pat golfers, played 18 holes a week ago and saw some crazy stuff while I was out there, just assumed but OK, let's give SS the benefit of the doubt, sure

-I live in Jupiter/Palm Beach, golf capital it seems and I run/part-owner of a small craft beer store on the weekends, tons of golf folks in the store when I'm there...they can be very assumptive sometimes because they seem to have the funds to make any issues go away

Just my experiences

• Reckless driving

You don't REALLY think it sounds that way, right? I mean I know you're MOP but still ...
It's a little bit of both...on one hand I say the police were hell bent...nobody reads that part of course
Then I place the blame at the #1 golfer in the world with money to burn right now...

People seem to miss my ability to walk a fine line around here
Just par for the course when you're MoP
:lol:

• Reckless driving

It's a little bit of both...on one hand I say the police were hell bent...nobody reads that part of course
Then I place the blame at the #1 golfer in the world with money to burn right now...

The guy with everything to lose is going to willfully do something like that? Again, I totally doubt it

• Reckless driving

I did write "cops were hellbent"
Like DeNiro in Casino..."At least give me that"

You all do read every word I write in here? I would be so disappointed if it were anything else
:whistle:

MoP ♥️ IK,despite your allegiance to the Bills :lol:

• Reckless driving

The guy with everything to lose is going to willfully do something like that? Again, I totally doubt it
Come hang out in Palm Beach where people think the law and rules do not apply based on income or net worth
And BTW, it's been my experience going back to the 90s, back to the days in the early 2000s when I was rolling thru Cali, never changes
Money makes GOOD people BETTER and BAD people WORSE

Take it the bank Brohans
@SWC how am I doing?

• Reckless driving

Come hang out in Palm Beach where people think the law and rules do not apply based on income or net worth
And BTW, it's been my experience going back to the 90s, back to the days in the early 2000s when I was rolling thru Cali, never changes
Money makes GOOD people BETTER and BAD people WORSE

Take it the bank Brohans
@SWC how am I doing?
And which category do we think Scheffler falls in?

Not sure which side of the river you are on, but Fairfax County cops are famous in the US for traffic stops. And being angry in general. It's an enormous revenue machine for the County. MD has speed cameras. VA uses their police to hand out tickets as often as possible. I live within 100 yards of a police station in the burbs. I watch them stop people every day within a minute of them pulling out of their back parking lot. Gotta hit the quota.

I got a speeding ticket (going 5 MPH over the speed limit on a highway in Santa Barbara, CA) on my college graduation day coming home from my graduation brunch w/ my family. The last thing the idiot cop said to me as he handed me my ticket was "here's your graduation gift". Oh, and the dolt wrote my driver's license number down wrong. I called the court to try to get out of it because of that and they just laughed and said that it would "eventually get corrected".

Your point is pretty spot on. Most of all of my interactions with the fuzz have been less than glowing as they've been jerks pretty much every time.

Users who are viewing this thread