What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Santonio Holmes (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
It looked earlier in the week like he was gonna play, but it sounds like he's questionable and Rex doesn't feel good about him.

Rex said he feels good about Harris playing. Sounds like he feels less good about Holmes + Smith
http://twitter.com/#!/JennyVrentasCould this be Jeremy Kerley's chance? They did just bring up Patrick Turner too, so maybe that is a sign?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looked earlier in the week like he was gonna play, but it sounds like he's questionable and Rex doesn't feel good about him.

Rex said he feels good about Harris playing. Sounds like he feels less good about Holmes + Smith
http://twitter.com/#!/JennyVrentasCould this be Jeremy Kerley's chance? They did just bring up Patrick Turner too, so maybe that is a sign?
Holmes expected to play as per Rex...link
read that yesterday, but it seems he may not have healed like they thought

Damn, I need Holmes this week. Close contest and if he doesn't go I have to rely on Harvin :shock:

Santonio coming on 1050 AM ESPN NY in the next 5-10 minutes http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play

Sounds very negative. "We'll see, we'll see. We'll see what the doctors say. It's early in the season."

Also said he hurt it in practice this week, not in the game on Sunday.

Damn, I need Holmes this week. Close contest and if he doesn't go I have to rely on Harvin :shock:
Link

My thing is what the heck is the injury in the first place. Can we get more details then knee from the Jets? Does anyone know how he as dealt with injury before, I dont ever remember him being hurt, worried this could effect his fantasy ceiling!

My thing is what the heck is the injury in the first place. Can we get more details then knee from the Jets? Does anyone know how he as dealt with injury before, I dont ever remember him being hurt, worried this could effect his fantasy ceiling!
Holmes hurt his knee in the game against Dallas, he hurt his quad in Wednesday's practice.Holmes' comment "we'll see. we'll see. we'll see what the doctor's have to say. it's early in the season.", hints to me that he may not play as precaution. all the "experts" seem to think the jets are going to roll the Jags (same thing they thought about the Cowboys), so maybe the coaching staff feels confident about giving him the week off to heal. plus, they travel to Oakland next week and then come back east to play at Baltimore. just speculating, but they may also be taking the east coast to west coast back to east coast travel into consideration.

There's also been talk on WFAN that the Jets are looking to get the run game going after such a pathetic showing vs Dallas.

after Rex's comment earlier in the week that he "expects all 3 to play" (Holmes, Harris, Smith...) I now feel Holmes sits this one out. he's on my bench.

:2cents:

Holmes seems benchable to me even if he plays. Already dinged up and the Jets want to recommit to the run. If they grab an early lead it may be all runs in the 2nd half. This matchup is so juicy tho. Decisions, decisions...

If Holmes is out, Keller is probably the biggest beneficiary.
You're probably right. I hope not though.Jets need to establish plenty of weapons throughout the year so that they're extremely complex to gameplan for in the playoffs and, of course, so they have as many options as possible. Plax could be that if he came out of his shell this week.

What is up with Holmes? Lingering knee injury? I'm really struggling at WR and need a spot if he keeps this production up.

This season so far: 10rec 131yds 1TD

As of right now im glad i didnt draft him in many leagues. His best play was a block thay nearly let LT score.

Has the talent for some great games but where is the consistency?

Sanchez and the Jets don't do a good job of passing down field just yet.

Holmes is extremely talented and a big play threat. They need to target him more and let him go to work. 2 targets in a game is not an acceptable game plan. That will be fixed.

I certainly hope so, as losing Britt has left a void in my WR lineup. Although I did draft Holmes earlier, I hadn't started him as yet. Now I don't have much choice.

He dropped a TD last week that would've been a really nice catch, but hit him in both hands. 2 for 35 & a TD would've been a lot easier to stomach.

As of right now im glad i didnt draft him in many leagues. His best play was a block thay nearly let LT score.Has the talent for some great games but where is the consistency?
Sanchez and the Jets don't do a good job of passing down field just yet.Holmes is extremely talented and a big play threat. They need to target him more and let him go to work. 2 targets in a game is not an acceptable game plan. That will be fixed.
This & This. Sanchez had 43 attempts and went 27-369-2tds. it blows my mind how a guy with Santonio's talent only gets 2 targets. santonio is more of a deep threat and granted i havent seen much of the jets, but it could be a combination of oline issues, addition of plax, kellers emergence, gameplan and sanchez ability to get it to him deep. it will be a wait and see game, but its going to take a few weeks of consistency for me to trust him, and im not optomistic. :censored: :sadbanana:

Just two years ago, Holmes was the next "it" WR. He was in Pittsburgh then and I don't think the talent level has changed. Holmes has even had a couple of really nice games in New York.

I think it is an overall situation where the Jets are suffering from an identity crisis. On one hand all you ever hear them say is "ground and pound"; yet they aren't exactly grinding anyone into the ground. On the other hand, they continuously talk about "taking the next step" by Sanchez being able to be given more command of the passing game.

I think this is growing pains that would have been a little simpler if the RB and o-line were performing better. But right now they can not do much on play action because they can't run very well. They have played a Dallas defense that knew them as well as a team can with Rob Ryan and a very good and underrated secondary in Oakland.

I Do know that Santonio is pretty danged good when his team is in a groove and I think the Jets will figure it out and improve in the coming weeks. Bottom line is this team is 1-2 2-1 (fixed..thanks We Tigers)and I do not think that is indicitive at all of what this team will be all year. there are going to be games when the Jets get it going and the production will be there. I think the bigger question is whether or not the running game will truly ever emerge or if this is going to be a team that ends up being a pass-first team by the end of the year.

The Jets are actually 2-1. Still, the point about not having a lot of time for plays to develop is sound. 12 of those 27 completions and 164 of the yards went to RBs. I don't think that's going to turn into a trend, though.

The Jets are actually 2-1. Still, the point about not having a lot of time for plays to develop is sound. 12 of those 27 completions and 164 of the yards went to RBs. I don't think that's going to turn into a trend, though.
Yup. thanks..fixed. Guess it just feels like they are 1-2 (still thinking the Cowboys should have beaten them).

Just two years ago, Holmes was the next "it" WR. He was in Pittsburgh then and I don't think the talent level has changed. Holmes has even had a couple of really nice games in New York.

I think it is an overall situation where the Jets are suffering from an identity crisis. On one hand all you ever hear them say is "ground and pound"; yet they aren't exactly grinding anyone into the ground. On the other hand, they continuously talk about "taking the next step" by Sanchez being able to be given more command of the passing game.

I think this is growing pains that would have been a little simpler if the RB and o-line were performing better. But right now they can not do much on play action because they can't run very well. They have played a Dallas defense that knew them as well as a team can with Rob Ryan and a very good and underrated secondary in Oakland.

I Do know that Santonio is pretty danged good when his team is in a groove and I think the Jets will figure it out and improve in the coming weeks. Bottom line is this team is 1-2 2-1 (fixed..thanks We Tigers)and I do not think that is indicitive at all of what this team will be all year. there are going to be games when the Jets get it going and the production will be there. I think the bigger question is whether or not the running game will truly ever emerge or if this is going to be a team that ends up being a pass-first team by the end of the year.
Two things have happened: 1) They said that they were going to throw the ball more this year. Hell, you hear it everywhere this year: the NFL is a throwing league. I think the Jets are following suit...but also perhaps by default because of #2) The o-line looks bad. The Jets have historically run on the right side, but Hunter has not had a good season at RT so far. He replaced Woody late last year and did alright, but his run-blocking is off this year and his pass-blocking has been atrocious. Moore is good, but had off-season surgery and might take time to round into shape. The Jets also lost Mangold whom they use on the move quite a bit. Slauson is adequate at LG, while Brick is a great pass-blocker, but just average at run-blocking. When Mangold comes back, it will get better, but not as good as the previous few year's oline performance.

What is baffling is Santonio's lack of production so far. He had a decent first week, but was banged up for the second week. He was virtually ignored last week. Maybe the injury is affecting him, plus Sanchez isn't exactly great with his reads. Not a big fan of the offensive coordinator either.

He wasn't given all that money to be a decoy, so after #####ing this week about the offense, I expect him to get more targets and perform up to expectations the rest of the way.

It is also important to note the effect Burress has had on Holmes. He is emerging as a pretty key point in the offense, especially in the red zone. They throw to him most of the time he has single coverage (he's getting doubled quite a bit).

Between Burress and Keller, who Sanchez likes to look for, and Tomlinson, Holmes is probably only going to get around 25-35% of the looks in a mediocre passing offense and very few looks in the red zone. And he's dinged up. Not a recipe for fantasy success.

That's good news, though I'm not sure it's that huge a boost this week. Sanchez has improved a lot since last year, but the Ravens just crushed him last year. I think he threw for under 100 yards.

Mike wallace, kenny britt, and brandon gibson all had good stats against the ravens this year. They havent been that good against the pass

That's good news, though I'm not sure it's that huge a boost this week. Sanchez has improved a lot since last year, but the Ravens just crushed him last year. I think he threw for under 100 yards.
I'm a Santonio and Sanchez owner and I agree. On paper, it should be a great passing game for the Jets. In a rocking M&T Bank Stadium on Sunday night, I'm afraid its going to be a nightmare for a visiting team that can't run the ballSanchez line 2010 opening day at home vs Ravens (with Holmes on suspension): 10-21-74-0-2

Users who are viewing this thread