What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco HC Jim Harbaugh claims Cam Newton is... (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Smoke or fire?

Harbaugh- Cam Newton is "plutonium-grade raw material."

plutonium-grade raw material

Harbaugh calls QB Newton "plutonium-grade raw material"

Jim Harbaugh likes athletic quarterbacks. That's not news, it's something that Harbaugh has listed atop his quarterback criteria list for months. But at the owners meeting in New Orleans today, Harbaugh went a step farther than he has before by discussing precisely what he is looking for in the next 49ers quarterback. And he also mentioned some specific names like Gabbert, Locker and Newton - especially Newton - for the first time

Harbaugh said the "ability to make people miss as a quarterback is critical. Avoid. Being able to go with your legs. We've got some quarterbacks in this draft like Cam Newton and (Blaine) Gabbert in particular, and Jake Locker that not only will make people miss and avoid people, but they can run and keep defenses out of certain coverages, which is quite the trait to have. And they can pick up first downs with their legs, keep the chains moving.

"And Cam Newton - that's plutonium-grade raw material, you know? I haven't seen upside like with this guy in probably the last 10 years. " ***Note*** Harbaugh and the 49ers met with Newton at the combine and GM Trent Baalke attended his pro day. But the team has not yet set up a visit with him as have most of the other QB-needy teams picking in the Top 10.

Harbaugh said the "No. 1 thing for a quarterback is athletic instincts. That he possesses them and that he also has the spatial feel of the field like a point guard. Or the guy that can play center field. He can go do that - a good NFL quarterback can go start on the soccer team or catch fly balls, at least be the sixth man on the basketball team. Also accuracy. A guy that can throw a football accurately. Understands timing. Has the ability to make really good decisions. Is tough. Who has a sense of leadership through his own personality. Has a confidence about him. And there are other factors. But those are pretty much the main ones."

Q: Do you know them when you see them, as opposed to measurable athleticism?

A: "To me anyway, it's more watching it. Seeing it. I watch the tape. It's something you really need to watch the flow of the game, what's happening in the two-minute drill, is the team behind, is the team ahead? Critical third-down, who in the offense is getting the ball? Are they putting it in the quarterback's hands or are they giving it to the running back? That tells you a lot."

Q: Are players unfairly typecast if they come from a "system" offense, a spread?

A: "Yeah, but these guys are adjusting so fast. I'm just really looking at these guys in this draft and when you go watch their workouts and watch them throw live and see them spin it, take drops from center, see them go through the footwork and have to duplicate that at the NFL level, you're seeing that they can do it. You see it. Like a birdwatcher. You know it when you see it."

Q: One thing you can't see on film is the work ethic. How important, how do you sense that in a kid?"

A: "You get a feel for it just with your antenna. Just being around those guys for 15 minutes, which is how long the (combine) interview lasts - I don't know, but unless my instincts and antenna are really off, I met with all those quarterbacks and I got a good feeling for them. I think you trust that. You trust that instinct. We'll see how good it is."

: What's your greatest challenge going forward, especially at the QB position, without free agency? Does it change your focus on the draft?

A: "The philosophy was always to get the best quarterbacks on our team, keep the best ones and then all the other avenues that you have - draft, free agency, trade. There are a couple of those options that we haven't been able to use."

Q: Is it tempting to stick with familiarity (aka Alex Smith) because of the uncertainty of this offseason? Is that an avenue that's more attractive given the league's current situation?

A: "I've always said that Alex is an attractive guy for our football team and that has nothing to do with a lockout or familiarity. I'm not agreeing with what you're saying, but I'm agreeing that I do like Alex Smith as a football player. No more or less, given the situation."

Some snipped so go to the link for the full article.

Only time will tell with Cam. For people like me, who are a fan of his, it will be a rough season because no rookie QB looks good in their first season. The naysayers will have many months (if not years) of feeling like they "won" the debat on Cam.

The best I can hope for, I think, is that he shows flashes. That's what you look for I guess in a rookie season. Bradford/McCoy (even Tebow) type of flashes. Just enough to give you a glimpse of their upside. If you don't see any flashes, you get worried. If you do see some flashes, you get excited. From there its all up to the QB (and a little luck in having a good QB coach).

Only time will tell with Cam. For people like me, who are a fan of his, it will be a rough season because no rookie QB looks good in their first season.
Tell that to Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Sam Bradford, Fran Tarkenton, among others. But, I applaud your effort to keep expectations low for Cam. I suspect you'll be doing that throughout his entirely pedestrian, if not dreadful, career.

Only time will tell with Cam. For people like me, who are a fan of his, it will be a rough season because no rookie QB looks good in their first season.
Tell that to Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Sam Bradford, Fran Tarkenton, among others. But, I applaud your effort to keep expectations low for Cam. I suspect you'll be doing that throughout his entirely pedestrian, if not dreadful, career.
Peyton Manning for one did not have a good Rookie Season at all...Sure, he had 3700 yards and 26 TDs, but he also had 28 Interceptions and a 71.2 QB rating.I am sure it was a GREAT fantasy season, but he didn't really start lighting it up until season 2...

Users who are viewing this thread