What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (1 Viewer)

In dynasty I am selling.
This is fine, but what are you willing to sell for? If someone comes along and offers you pick 9 are you taking it?
No I think his value is slightly higher then that right now, if I was offered pick 9 and another first or early second I would. If I was offered pick 4 or 5 I probably would.
Obviously depends on team and league specifics, but I don't see you getting a RB upgrade in that range this year at all. WR maybe. Given the current dynasty RB landscape Matthews is worth more than even an early 1st this year IMO.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/29/ryan-mathews-chargers-chiefs/

Gritty performance by Ryan Mathews by Michael Gehlken

An ankle injury forced Ryan Mathews to miss two practices last week.

He walked in a protective boot. He dealt with soreness.

On Sunday, no one could tell.

Little remains unsaid about the Chargers running back. The team is going to the playoffs for the first time since he was selected in the 2010 first round, and it got there with large help from him. A quiet workhorse, he rushed 24 times for a career-high 144 yards, helping set up the winning overtime field goal in a 27-24 win over the Chiefs.

Mathews jogged into the locker room briefly in the second half to get his left ankle re-taped.

Aside from that, he looked as good as new.

“What a gritty performance by Ryan — oh my gosh,” safety Eric Weddle said. “He couldn't walk all week, and he was out there playing for us. You can't say enough good words about Ryan and what he does, along with our offensive line.”

Mathews finishes the regular season with six 100-yard rushing games, most in the NFL. It's his third 100-yard game in four weeks; a week ago, he had 99 versus the Raiders.

He's rushed for a career-high 1,254 rushing yards this season, most by a Charger since LaDainian Tomlinson's 1,474 in 2007.

“I've said it a thousand times before,” said Mathews, whose first-quarter run of 41 yards was second longest in his career. “It's the big guys in the front. It makes my job easy when you have guys like that, willing to risk their bodies week in and week out to give you 5 yards a play. It's a great feeling.”

The Chargers had the first possession in overtime and chewed 9:30 of the clock.

Mathews carried the ball on four straight plays for 27 yards, moving them from their own 39 to Kansas City's 34.

The 16-play drive left little time in overtime, which was key.

San Diego could advance to the playoffs with a win or tie. It got the win.

“I'm excited because it's my first time going,” Mathews said. “Everyone says it's when the game changes, and I'm excited to go.”

So even if they're rotating, do we believe Woodhead is going to hold up under the load? Seems to me like Mathews would still be ticketed for 15+ carries and a handful of receptions per week, no?
I cant see 240 carries and 40+ catches for Mathews. Possible I GUESS, but I don't see it.

I am holding out hope he can put up 200 in PPR leagues for this year. I would take that easily.
Mathews 285 carries, 1255 yards, 6 TD's 26 rec, 189 yards, 1 TD = 212.4 PPR pts (#17 PPR RB)

Woodhead 106 carries, 429, 2 TD's, 76 rec, 605 yards, 6 TD's = 227.4 PPR pts (#12 PPR RB)

So you had the #12 and #17 PPR RB's from the same team.

Not bad for a guy many considered worthless 2 months ago including people in this same thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Ryan Mathews - RB - Chargers

The Chargers ranked 28th in the NFL in goal-line efficiency in 2013.

A lot of those flubbed goal-line chances came early in the year as the Chargers rolled with Danny Woodhead/Le'Ron McClain in the red zone. But as the season moved along, the coaching staff found more and more trust in Ryan Mathews. Over the final eight games, Mathews ran for five touchdowns -- including three plunges from the 1-yard line. He'll be the clear-cut goal-line back in 2014, the final year of his rookie contract.

Source: ESPN.com

Ranking the Bolts, No. 3: Ryan Mathews

By Tom Krasovic

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/feb/17/ryan-mathews-chargers-aj-smith-danny-woodhead/

Counting down the 2013 Chargers' top 22 performers, we turn to a former first-round draftee.

Player: Ryan Mathews

What went right: When his team needed a lift late in the season, Mathews answered with 103, 127, 99 and 144 yards rushing to help bring San Diego's first playoff berth in five years. Teammates named him the offense’s MVP.

The Bengals had just mashed the Chargers defense in a 17-10 victory at San Diego. With Eddie Royal nagged by a toe injury, the offense was down to one healthy wide receiver whom defenses feared in Keenan Allen.

How to shelter the defense and balance the offense? Run, run, run.

“I’ve got this,” Mathews seemed to say.

With Mathews churning for 473 yards and three touchdowns, the Chargers won their final four games.

All-22 explainer and overall rankings

The AFC West-leading Broncos had won their seven home games by an average of 20 points when the Chargers arrived in Game 14. Just five days earlier in the rout of the Giants, Mathews had rushed 29 times, the most in his career. He took 29 more handoffs and hammered Denver for 127 yards and a touchdown in the 24-17 upset victory.

An ankle injury sent him from the next game, but he returned to help finish off the Raiders. In the season’s final game, when it appeared the Chargers might choke away a playoff berth, he busted the Chiefs for the 144.

His ankle seemed to be getting worse, but to the playoff win at Cincinnati, he contributed 52 yards rushing and two receptions for 12 yards. In Denver seven days later, after he gained 25 yards in 5 carries, his ankle apparently was too gimpy for him to continue.

Mathews’ 1,255 yards rushing in the season was the most by a Charger since LaDainian Tomlinson’s 1,474 in 2007.

It wasn’t a breakout season, however. As an NFL sophomore in 2011, he topped 1,000 yards rushing while averaging 4.9 yards per carry. Also then, he caught 50 passes.

But he was never so dependable as he was this season, his fourth since the Chargers selected him 12th overall. He played all 18 games. From 2010-12, he missed 4, 2 and 4 games. He had 285 rushes in the regular season. Not only was the total fourth-most in the NFL, it exceeded his career-high by 63 attempts. His catch rate was 90.3 percent, beating his 2010-12 marks of 84.6, 86.2 and 75.

What went wrong: A fumble near the goal-line in the third preseason game may have spooked a new coaching staff that no doubt was aware of his 12 career fumbles from 2010-12. In Game 2, he fumbled and the Eagles recovered in the red zone. In Game 5, a Raiders linebacker concussed him.

Turning it around: Eight days after suffering the brain injury, Mathews returned against the favored Colts. His 22 carries for 102 yards was instrumental to a ball-control offense that spearheaded the upset victory. It was the first of his six games with 100 yards rushing, a season total that only the Eagles’ LeSean McCoy would exceed. A rushing TD against the Colts was his first since Game 5 of 2012.

Stretching out: A 51-yard run at Miami, off a stretch left, beat his career mark of 39. In Game 16 againt the Chiefs, he went 44 yards up the middle.

Looking ahead to 2014: He is entering the final year of the five-year, $20.5 million contract A.J. Smith issued. His 2014 salary is $1.978 million. Also under contract is running back Danny Woodhead, who is among the league's better third-down performers.

Rotoworld:

Chargers GM Tom Telesco confirmed that Ryan Mathews remains "our bell cow."
Telesco suggested that signing free agent Donald Brown to a $10.4 million contract was a depth move. Mathews will remain the feature back as he comes off a highly effective year that saw him set career-highs in games played (16), carries (285) and yards (1255). "He's our No. 1 back," Telesco said. Perhaps Brown was signed with one eye on 2015, when Mathews will be a free agent.

Related: Donald Brown, Danny Woodhead

Rotoworld:

Telesco suggested that signing free agent Donald Brown to a $10.4 million contract was a depth move. Mathews will remain the feature back as he comes off a highly effective year that saw him set career-highs in games played (16), carries (285) and yards (1255). "He's our No. 1 back," Telesco said. Perhaps Brown was signed with one eye on 2015, when Mathews will be a free agent.

How are we supposed to believe that?

Rotoworld:

How could you not? It's Donald Brown.

2013 Donald Brown, not 2009 Donald Brown. SIgnificant difference. His VOA and success rate were pretty high last year. He was asked to block a lot last year, and while not elite, did fine. It is not "just" Donald Brown. Not crazy to call him a top 32 NFL RB.

Rotoworld:

Who is better than Ronnie Brown and being payed a ton if the plan is to not play him in the rotation. SD proved last year that the best performing back matters little.

2013 Donald Brown, not 2009 Donald Brown. SIgnificant difference. His VOA and success rate were pretty high last year. He was asked to block a lot last year, and while not elite, did fine. It is not "just" Donald Brown. Not crazy to call him a top 32 NFL RB.
Pretty sure we just disagree strongly on Matthews, and that's OK. But Donald Brown just sucks man. Yes, he was better last year, in a part time role, but that doesn't outweigh years of sucking in my book. It took injuries to both Ballard and Bradshaw plus Richardson's epic failure for Brown to even get part time carries last year, and Indy didn't want him back at any price. He's terrible.

Rotoworld:

Who is better than Ronnie Brown and being payed a ton if the plan is to not play him in the rotation. SD proved last year that the best performing back matters little.
$3.5 million isn't a ton at all -- it's the same deal essentially that Tennessee gave Shonn Greene last year to back up Chris Johnson, and for the same reason. When Matthews went down in the playoffs last year, SD had nothing to offer. And Matthews and Woodhead are both UFA after this season, so Brown is insurance for both those things. Yes, he's overpaid IMO.

We probably agree more about Mathews than SD's plan for Mathews, but that's okay too. I would love for Mathews to get 50 receptions a year and really be a featured RB in McCoy's offense, just don't see that upside really happening. Certainly possible I'm overthinking it. A lot of what you said about Brown is true of Moreno. I think Brown played better in 13 than Ballard did in 12. Not privy to whether the Colts were considering offering him anything, but will trust your reading of your local media. It seems likely they didn't want to give him a 3 yr deal. They did sign Bradshaw a few hours before Brown signed, but the writing may have been on the wall there, so it's hard to read that they'd prefer Bradshaw to Brown for a low cost prove it deal.

We probably agree more about Mathews than SD's plan for Mathews, but that's okay too. I would love for Mathews to get 50 receptions a year and really be a featured RB in McCoy's offense, just don't see that upside really happening. Certainly possible I'm overthinking it. A lot of what you said about Brown is true of Moreno. I think Brown played better in 13 than Ballard did in 12. Not privy to whether the Colts were considering offering him anything, but will trust your reading of your local media. It seems likely they didn't want to give him a 3 yr deal. They did sign Bradshaw a few hours before Brown signed, but the writing may have been on the wall there, so it's hard to read that they'd prefer Bradshaw to Brown for a low cost prove it deal.
No real insider information, but Brown tweeted a goodbye and thanks to Indy back in mid-January, which strongly suggests to me that the Colts had no interest in retaining him. It wasn't a "test the market and maybe come back cheap" thing -- it was a month and a half before he was even allowed to talk to another team. Brown is a smart guy -- he wouldn't have done that unless he knew he was 100% gone, which means IMO that the Colts basically just told him good luck and goodbye.Re: SD's plans for Matthews, I personally don't see a receiving uptick either, but nor do I see a significant change from the last ten games of 2013 as far as carries go. Matthews got a ton of carries, did well with them, and carried the team to wins and into the playoffs. If it ain't broke and all that. Matthews was RB10 last year over the last 10 games without much receiving work, and I think he can be on the RB1 / RB2 border again this year. He's talented enough to be a true 3 down workhorse, and who knows, he might get that opportunity as a UFA next offseason, but given Woodhead's presence, it's unlikely in SD in 2014.

Rotoworld:

$3.5 million isn't a ton at all -- it's the same deal essentially that Tennessee gave Shonn Greene last year to back up Chris Johnson, and for the same reason. When Matthews went down in the playoffs last year, SD had nothing to offer. And Matthews and Woodhead are both UFA after this season, so Brown is insurance for both those things. Yes, he's overpaid IMO.
Right, which severly handicapped his upside in the rushing game and made him a risky play week to week. That is without a recieving threat like Woodhead which is where CJ got a third of his yards and 40% of his TDs.

So, when I think whether Mathews is going to have enough touches to be a top 15 back, I am significantly less confident of it after the Donald Brown acquisition. They could have filled in the insurance role much cheaper than what they gave him in the current market. I'm worried this means the first half 13 is what we should expect from Mathews.

Rotoworld:

Right, which severly handicapped his upside in the rushing game and made him a risky play week to week. That is without a recieving threat like Woodhead which is where CJ got a third of his yards and 40% of his TDs.

So, when I think whether Mathews is going to have enough touches to be a top 15 back, I am significantly less confident of it after the Donald Brown acquisition. They could have filled in the insurance role much cheaper than what they gave him in the current market. I'm worried this means the first half 13 is what we should expect from Mathews.
CJ was unreliable due to him declining and the Titans offense being meh, neither of which apply to Matthews IMO. Johnson was still on a 300 carry pace in the 10 games he played with Greene @ 18.9 carries / game. Further, as a power RB Greene actually does serve as a complement to Johnson's home run style -- I don't see anywhere that Brown is better than Matthews personally. That's based on the fact that I see Matthews as a very strong talent and Donald Brown as a bag of dog crap, so YMMV of course.

Rotoworld:

Shonn Greene had no impact whatsoever on CJs numbers.

Rotoworld:

That is a pretty ridiculous statement given CJ's ONE goal line carry all season.

Rotoworld:

That is a pretty ridiculous statement given CJ's ONE goal line carry all season.
Lifting a dancer like Chris Johnson at the goal line for the pounder in Shonn Greene =/= lifting Matthews for junk like Donald Brown. C'mon man...

Slapdash said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Slapdash said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Chargers GM Tom Telesco confirmed that Ryan Mathews remains "our bell cow." Telesco suggested that signing free agent Donald Brown to a $10.4 million contract was a depth move. Mathews will remain the feature back as he comes off a highly effective year that saw him set career-highs in games played (16), carries (285) and yards (1255). "He's our No. 1 back," Telesco said. Perhaps Brown was signed with one eye on 2015, when Mathews will be a free agent. Related: Donald Brown, Danny Woodhead Source: ESPN.com
Right, which severly handicapped his upside in the rushing game and made him a risky play week to week. That is without a recieving threat like Woodhead which is where CJ got a third of his yards and 40% of his TDs. So, when I think whether Mathews is going to have enough touches to be a top 15 back, I am significantly less confident of it after the Donald Brown acquisition. They could have filled in the insurance role much cheaper than what they gave him in the current market. I'm worried this means the first half 13 is what we should expect from Mathews.
The Titans have used GL backs in other seasons as well, White, Harper, Battle...Greene had 4 rushing TDs last season. I guess I should have said signing Greene as a backup RB didn't have any effect on Johnson's normal feature back role.

cstu said:
He will still have his share of skeptics . . .
Including his own team's management, as I predict we'll see next offseason.
Zero chance of that. He showed the whole team what he's about. I can bring up several articles including "management". And more importantly teammates praising his work ethic/ gritting it out and how chargers win when Mathews gets 20 carries.

cstu said:
Zero chance of that. He showed the whole team what he's about. I can bring up several articles including "management". And more importantly teammates praising his work ethic/ gritting it out and how chargers win when Mathews gets 20 carries.
Coach speak. I'll bump this next year when he's on his way out of SD.

cstu said:
It's possible that they don't bring him back at 27/28 - but his GM just spoke positively on his behalf in response to the Brown signing.

I'm more concerned about what happens in 2014 at this point - and Mathews is just a much better RB than Donald Brown - if he has another big season, maybe SD brings him back if not his owners will just have to hope he ends up in a good location.

Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Slapdash said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Lifting a dancer like Chris Johnson at the goal line for the pounder in Shonn Greene =/= lifting Matthews for junk like Donald Brown. C'mon man...
They did it with a washed up player like Ronnie Brown and it cost them a game :shrug:

cstu said:
Agree that there's a good chance that he's not back, but how much does that really say about Matthews himself vs. the fact that signing a non-elite RB to an expensive 2nd contract is generally bad business in the NFL right now? I like what SD is doing on offense right now, but as a Matthews owner in a bunch of PPR leagues, I won't be too upset if he lands elsewhere next year -- he might go to a team that actually takes advantage of his well above average receiving ability.

Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Dr. Octopus said:
Slapdash said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Slapdash said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

They did it with a washed up player like Ronnie Brown and it cost them a game :shrug:
I understand the concern -- but there was definitely a major change in Matthews usage right before the mid-point of the 2013 season. They started feeding him 20 carries / game, including goal line, and they won games and made a playoff run. Matthews' team mates voted for him as their offensive MVP over Philip Rivers, who also had a fantastic year. Mike McCoy is no fool -- I'm sure he knows the value in getting a very good RB like Matthews into that 20 carry rhythm where he can pound defenses into submission. It worked like a charm last year. I guess we'll see what happens, but IMO the Brown signing merely extends the already great but low window for a player that was hugely under valued in the first place.

I understand the concern -- but there was definitely a major change in Matthews usage right before the mid-point of the 2013 season. They started feeding him 20 carries / game, including goal line, and they won games and made a playoff run. Matthews' team mates voted for him as their offensive MVP over Philip Rivers, who also had a fantastic year. Mike McCoy is no fool -- I'm sure he knows the value in getting a very good RB like Matthews into that 20 carry rhythm where he can pound defenses into submission. It worked like a charm last year. I guess we'll see what happens, but IMO the Brown signing merely extends the already great but low window for a player that was hugely under valued in the first place.
Fair enough. I hope you're right, I just have less confidence as a result.

cstu said:
cstu said:
cstu said:
Not sure how this is coach speak. It's fact actually when Mathews got 20 carries more often then not they won. Mathews just had almost 1300 yards rushing with a slow start. Also had as many 100 yard games as any back. But yeah coach speak, they will be benching that production in favor of Donald Brown.

As for he leaving the team next season, I'm totally okay with that, almost prefer it. I'd rather him go to a team minus a woodhead as he can catch the ball well. So that a bonus if he bolts

Not sure how this is coach speak. It's fact actually when Mathews got 20 carries more often then not they won. Mathews just had almost 1300 yards rushing with a slow start. Also had as many 100 yard games as any back. But yeah coach speak, they will be benching that production in favor of Donald Brown.

As for he leaving the team next season, I'm totally okay with that, almost prefer it. I'd rather him go to a team minus a woodhead as he can catch the ball well. So that a bonus if he bolts
I never said they were going to bench him, I expect him not to be re-signed and for them to draft another RB.

Not sure how this is coach speak. It's fact actually when Mathews got 20 carries more often then not they won
Chicken/egg scenario. There were games where they controlled the clock with the run and they won, like the Denver game. But there were also games like the Giants game where they built up a big lead and gave Mathews a lot of clock killing carries. And there were some losses where they were down a lot of points, and Mathews didn't see the field much. I think his usage affects that stat a bit. It's possible they become a run-first team now that they have 3 decent to great RB, but I guess I'm in "see it when I believe it" mode about that possibility.

What's his dynasty value right now? What would people give up in terms of rookie picks or even multiple?

I've been offered a late 1st and it was an insta decline for me. 26 year old RBs coming off of 1400 yard seasons that can catch + get goal line carries are rare. AP, Charles, Forte, Bush, Lynch, Foster, CJ?K and Gore are all on the decline, if they haven't started already. Shady is #1....Gio/Bell/Ball/Lacy/Stacy people all hope they continue to get better. I realize he's had some injuries, but not many RB's with potential for the next 3 years of RB2 + production in the league right now.

Every team that I have tried dealing him to is not on board with Mathews being "legit" or they just have too many concerns that they don't want to take on. Mathews is that guy that has a very small market for. Some people just don't want him as a piece to their team. I have a feeling that he is that player that I will have to hold for his entire career because other owners just want nothing to do with him. I'll gladly take that production as my RB2.

Every team that I have tried dealing him to is not on board with Mathews being "legit" or they just have too many concerns that they don't want to take on. Mathews is that guy that has a very small market for. Some people just don't want him as a piece to their team. I have a feeling that he is that player that I will have to hold for his entire career because other owners just want nothing to do with him. I'll gladly take that production as my RB2.
Yeah, me too.

Yeah, me too.
2 years ago, he was a borderline 1st round startup pick. He broke 2 collarbones...then last year had over 1400 yards and is 26. Now he's the plague...it's not like he's DMC who's done literally nothing the last 3 years.

Yeah, me too.
2 years ago, he was a borderline 1st round startup pick. He broke 2 collarbones...then last year had over 1400 yards and is 26. Now he's the plague...it's not like he's DMC who's done literally nothing the last 3 years.
He's 27 on May 1 and will very likely be a 28 yo free agent next year.

Yeah, me too.
He's being treated like he's Frank Gore or DMC...the point is he produces...he's not valued the same way.

Yeah, me too.
He's being treated like he's Frank Gore or DMC...the point is he produces...he's not valued the same way.
It didn't look like he was arguing with you. He was just correcting you.

Yeah, me too.
Which is why I stated "the point" it's not over context of age or a stat....it's value

Yeah, me too.
Which is why I stated "the point" it's not over context of age or a stat....it's value
Everyone already got your point :shrug:

A bit of circular reasoning. You're looking to ship him but you'll gladly keep him since you can't.

Yeah, me too.
His birthday is October 10th and he's still 26 until then...

Users who are viewing this thread