What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (1 Viewer)

The other good news is that Oliver only had 3 touches before Mathews got injured (2 touches for Brown at that point - both were receptions). Still wish they'd involve Mathews more in the passing game, though.

Rotoworld:

The Chargers will meet with the player rep for free agent Ryan Mathews at the Combine.
It would probably be in San Diego's best interest to let Mathews test the market, where his price tag won't be extraordinary based on his injury history. Mathews is a core piece of the Chargers' offense, but they should be able to retain him on the relative cheap. This year's loaded rookie running back class will also work against the market value of a player like Mathews.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Feb 18 - 1:28 PM

Rotoworld:

A source tells the Union-Tribune there is "nothing happening right now" between the Chargers and free agent RB Ryan Mathews.

There was some communication between the two sides Monday, but Mathews will likely see what's out there this week. It's the right move as the running back market starts to correct itself as seen in the LeSean McCoy and Mark Ingram deals. Mathews is our No. 3 free agent RB available, behind only DeMarco Murray and C.J. Spiller.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Mar 9 - 9:24 PM

He will still have his share of skeptics . . .
Including his own team's management, as I predict we'll see next offseason.
Zero chance of that. He showed the whole team what he's about. I can bring up several articles including "management". And more importantly teammates praising his work ethic/ gritting it out and how chargers win when Mathews gets 20 carries.
Coach speak. I'll bump this next year when he's on his way out of SD.

@RapSheet: Or that RT @MikeGarafolo: Actually, more than a visit for RB Ryan Mathews with he Eagles. Hes expected to sign with the team, source says.

I thought this was interesting:

@caplannfl: #Eagles to host RB Ryan Mathews today, as @MikeGarafolo said. They've been interested in him for a while. Fits offense well.

How many IR spots do NFL teams have?
Well, the Eagles have been top 5 in starts lost the previous 2 years (in the good way, as in least amount). So they're doing something right under Kelly. They sure are taking on a lot of guys with serious injury histories though.

Kelly is a nutrition nutcase for the players and has a Navy SEAL guy doing the conditioning/shake making so they obviously think they can make anyone healthy.

Never been an issue of talent with him. If he stays healthy in the Eagle offense...wow

Sell Sell Sell!
As a Mathews owner, you might be right.

It's a nice landing spot and he SHOULD do pretty well, but if you can sell at the "assumption he will do really well" value, I think you gotta sell.
I agree I'm just not sure if people will buy into him. He's burned a lot of people.
Got an email a half hour ago asking what I want for him. Didnt the news come out like 32 minutes ago? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly is a nutrition nutcase for the players and has a Navy SEAL guy doing the conditioning/shake making so they obviously think they can make anyone healthy.
since he has been hc the eagles have been one of the top 5 healthiest teams, meaning not a lot of injuries. If bradford, kiko, and mathews are healthy the eagles will have gotten great value

Im actually torn on buy/sell because of the conditioning/health program the eagles have, how good their oline is and how explosive that offense is.

This won't work for Matthews. Its like when you take you sports car out for a drive. Its quality is not in question, but they tend to get "fragile" and pushing them only adds up to nagging little breakdowns. That's what Matthews is, a good talent that, when not used conservatively, becomes broken quickly.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Former #Chargers RB Ryan Mathews is on a plane to Philly. He has agreed to terms on a 3-year, $12M deal, source said, pending physical.

Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter

Eagles and former Chargers RB Ryan Mathews officially have reached agreement on 3-year, $11.5 million deal that includes $5M gtd, per source

Sound very similar to: Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter ·

Frank Gore's deal now officially signed, per @RosenhausSports: 3 years for $12 million, including $8.5 million in the first 2 years.

As a Mathews owner, if he stays healthy I'm excited by his potential in this offense, Sproles is there as well to take a bit of the load off

ldizzle said:
Im actually torn on buy/sell because of the conditioning/health program the eagles have, how good their oline is and how explosive that offense is.
Same. I was ready to finally cut ties. Have had him since he entered. Now just not so sure what to do.

Matthews becomes an ideal RB3 who'll perform like a RB1/RB2 for however many games he's healthy.

A couple years ago, a LOT of people viewed him as a top 5 dynasty RB based only on his talent, and if nothing else he'll have holes to run through and tired defensive linemen trying to tackle him.

It will be interesting to monitor who is the handcuff to own here. Sproles has his obvious role in the offense. As of right now, the handcuff role would seem to belong to Chris Polk, and he should be available rather cheaply for Mathews' dynasty owners.

It will be interesting to monitor who is the handcuff to own here. Sproles has his obvious role in the offense. As of right now, the handcuff role would seem to belong to Chris Polk, and he should be available rather cheaply for Mathews' dynasty owners.
I own Polk in just about every dynasty/keeper league I am in. I wouldn't give up Polk under almost any circumstances. I'm even more excited about his 2015 campaign with Mathews in front of him than Gore.

Slider said:
Aren't Navy SEALs trained to kill people? Never heard of their blender Ops.

So what happens in San Diego? Surely it won't be the Branden Oliver show.
Some poor rookie will have to run behind that crappy line now.
they signed Orlando Franklin, plus Im sure they address it in the draft.
Maybe that FA signing will move them up from 31st in run blocking to the low 20's.
The Chargers resigned Dunlap, who will stay at LT. PFF rated him as the #17 OT in run blocking (+4.5), and the #11 LT.

They signed Franklin, supposedly to play LG. PFF rated him as the #13 OG in run blocking (+7.6), and the #5 LG.

It appears Watt will be the starting center. PFF rated him as the #25 C in run blocking, but with a positive grade (+1.1). He was a rookie and had to step in at center after multiple injuries at the position, after never playing that position in college. He only had 331 snaps at center last season. Now he has an entire offseason to prepare. I am optimistic he will be better this year. Meanwhile, last season, the Chargers played 4 other centers for a total of 778 snaps, and they had a cumulative PFF rating of -9.7. Watt should definitely be a big improvement on that.

Fluker will start. Last season at RT, PFF rated him as the #37 OT in run blocking (-0.9), and the #18 RT. But Fluker played hurt last season. In 2013, PFF rated him as the #25 OT in run blocking (+4.9), and the #9 RT, and that was his rookie season. He should be healthier and better this year. And it is still possible he will be moved to RG, depending on who else the Chargers acquire in free agency and/or the draft. Many feel he is better suited at G.

The Chargers released OG Chad Rinehart. He played 1089 snaps for the Chargers last season, and PFF rated him as the #74 OG in run blocking (-15.8). Obvious addition by subtraction.

They still have OG Johnnie Troutman, who could stay at RG if Fluker stays at RT and the team stands pat. Last season, Troutman played 790 snaps, and PFF rated him as the #73 OG in run blocking (-14.4). In 2013, Troutman played 648 snaps, mostly at LG, and PFF rated him as the #23 OG in run blocking (+5.5). I'm not sure if the reason for his dropoff was moving to RG or something else. Not sure if he can regain his 2013 form, but it's possible.

I'd like to see the team add one more starting caliber RG/RT, moving Troutman to the bench, and that remains possible.

All of this points to much better run blocking from the OL in 2015.

Rotoworld:

Updating a previous report, free agent RB Ryan Mathews has not signed his contract with the Eagles.

With the Eagles now courting DeMarco Murray, Mathews may back out on his $11.5 million deal. Murray would dominate carries in Philadelphia, making Mathews a backup with a very limited role. He's certainly aiming to land somewhere he can at least be part of a two-man timeshare. That wouldn't be Philly.

Related: Eagles

Source: Geoff Mosher on Twitter
Mar 12 - 9:21 AM

Wow lot's of guy getting the facts wrong in their clamor to be first to report things. First Gore and now Mathews? I don't ever remember so many errant reports.

Users who are viewing this thread