What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roseanne Barr tweets racist comment; her show is canceled (2 Viewers)

I'm one who actually thought the ending to the original show was good and that it is kind of lame that they just retconned the Dan thing.  

:lmao:  it’s all over the news. And I’m not outraged 
It is not all over the news, at least not the angle you are pushing here. A google search of Roseanne Barr "new america" brings up this thread at the top. 

The article you linked? You even changed the title just to make it suit what you are trying to accomplish here.  

John Podhoretz- the Roseanne revival is a wake up call for America. Hollywood

Let's be honest here tim, you are upset that they are humanizing a trump voter. Anything outside of representing all trump voters as people that despise gays and minorities and want to carry around bazookas is just ridiculous to you. 

Let's be honest here tim, you are upset that they are humanizing a trump voter. Anything outside of representing all trump voters as people that despise gays and minorities and want to carry around bazookas is just ridiculous to you. 
I don't know how you came up with that from anything he has said.

All right, you broke me down, I admit it.  I am a John Goodman fan.  There, you happy.  I admit it, oh Lord, I aaaaadmitttt ittt.
:lol:   I was never an original Roseanne fan (before my time anyway) and I don't intend to watch this show.  Maybe he wouldn't be much without those Coen Brothers movies either.

Didnt argue it then, wont argue it now - far as i could see, the foxes were running more henhouses when he left than when he came. An eloquent excuse factory for greater proliferance of corruption & fecklessness was and is my assessment of the Obama White House.
These kinds of statements come off better without any made-up words.
The made-up words are no obstacle to my understanding, but metaphors are. I tend to be overly literal to my own detriment. What foxes and henhouses are we talking about? Regulatory capture? What excuses for what corruption are we talking about?

The made-up words are no obstacle to my understanding, but metaphors are. I tend to be overly literal to my own detriment. What foxes and henhouses are we talking about? Regulatory capture? What excuses for what corruption are we talking about?
https://www.google.com/search?q=fox+in+a+hen+house&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizo9r7t5TaAhUY3GMKHbYaBuYQsAQITg&biw=1280&bih=915#imgrc=j6JUuVVrHhqRaM:&spf=1522426322669

I love metaphors and similes.  Love them like a school boy loves his pie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't get why anyone is complaining about this thread existing. This was blaring, red-font headline news on Drudge a couple of days ago. I also saw a headline this morning that Roseanne (the person) has fallen big in to the QAnon conspiracy crap.
I didn't know this dumb show/Roseanne being a mutant was newsworthy.  Consider me corrected.

I have spent plenty of time in this subforum defending Trump voters from the sort of stereotypes you just named. But that being said, you have come close to what’s bothering me. 

I don’t think it’s OK to be a Trump supporter. Being a Trump supporter doesn’t make you a bigot or a racist or a sexist, but it does mean you condone those things in the person you have chosen to support. I don’t think that’s OK, and I don’t think that it’s a good that a popular TV show should make these people feel better about themselves. They’re not bad people, but in my very firm opinion they made a bad decision and they should feel awful about it, not good. I strongly disagree with the take that we as a society should accept Trump supporters as part of our normal give and take between liberals and conservatives and independents. They’re not. They’re an anomaly, and I sincerely hope that they disappear soon, fading into history the way the Joe McCarthy supporters did after 1955 or so. 

I’d like to remind some here that Jackie was a part of that arc, too. The message was pretty balanced, but I think it’s being overwhelmed by the political blogosphere, and people that only watched clips.

I have spent plenty of time in this subforum defending Trump voters from the sort of stereotypes you just named. But that being said, you have come close to what’s bothering me. 

I don’t think it’s OK to be a Trump supporter. Being a Trump supporter doesn’t make you a bigot or a racist or a sexist, but it does mean you condone those things in the person you have chosen to support. I don’t think that’s OK, and I don’t think that it’s a good that a popular TV show should make these people feel better about themselves. They’re not bad people, but in my very firm opinion they made a bad decision and they should feel awful about it, not good. I strongly disagree with the take that we as a society should accept Trump supporters as part of our normal give and take between liberals and conservatives and independents. They’re not. They’re an anomaly, and I sincerely hope that they disappear soon, fading into history the way the Joe McCarthy supporters did after 1955 or so. 
Defending? Come on. 

Are we all supposed to become anti-free trade? Nativist? Anti-immigrant?
That was your intro here. You lump them into all sorts of groups, as a whole. Nobody is saying that you have to accept them as normal give and take, you simply cant dismiss them completely from the conversation. Plenty of them are much better people than people that voted for Hillary. You(and many others) speak as if that is impossible. 

It comes as no surprise that the Trump voters love Rosanne and her dysfunctional family. Her mouth and President Trump's Tweets go hand in hand as well as the dysfunction in the White House. I really shouldn't be posting regarding the sitcom because I never watched the new show nor did I watch a complete episode 30 years ago. Yep, White trash pretty much sums it up

I liked him in Big Lebowski and in O Brother Where Art Thou, otherwise I can take him or leave him.
There was a study a while back that Goodman (at least of a few years ago) added more value as a supporting actor than any other person in Hollywood.  I can see it.

As for the show Roseann nails that character and the ensemble was always funny.  The reason it's getting such huge numbers is that the rest of the flat comedies on network TV are, by and large, absolutely horrible.

There was a study a while back that Goodman (at least of a few years ago) added more value as a supporting actor than any other person in Hollywood.  I can see it.

As for the show Roseann nails that character and the ensemble was always funny.  The reason it's getting such huge numbers is that the rest of the flat comedies on network TV are, by and large, absolutely horrible.
I never saw the original and have no desire to see this one.  Other than this past week's 60 minutes I have not watched network T.V. for a non-sporting event in many years.  As for her, the voice causes an aversion reaction in me.  I simply cannot listen to that.  It is painful.  I will never have an informed opinion on the shows content.

Never a fan of fat slovenly woman has contempt for life shtick.  Never found her remotely amusing and feel the same for  Melissa McCarthy, this generations Roseanne Barr.

I am disturbed that the President of the United States spends any time with his attention on her.

Me. I cannot take her even in limited doses in the commercials for her show.  When one comes on my hands, of their own volition it seems, automatically change the channel.  I like that about my hands.
I think you are mixing her up with Rosie O'Donnell

I never saw the original and have no desire to seed this one.  Other than this past week's 60 minutes I have not watched network T.V. for a non-sporting event in many years.  As for her, the voice causes an aversion reaction in me.  I simply cannot listen to that.  It is painful.  I will never have an informed opinion on the shows content.
I was responding to you about Goodman.  The other was an aside in general comment.

I found the article about Goodman as as actor - John Goodman Is America’s Greatest Supporting Actor.  Definitely :nerd:  , but a cool little bit of work there.

To be fair, they're not white trash.  They're a moderately realistic representation of a huge swath of working class America.  
I thought that was how Roseanne self described the family portrayed in the show. Maybe white trash is too harsh, certainly blue collar with parents who had a ton of flaws themselves which was the crux of many of the jokes.  

There are only two things about the reboot that bothers people here....

1.  It was centered around a "pro-Trump" character and...

2.  It wasn't totally rebuked by the public.

It messed up the acoustics in the echo chamber.
This is exactly why it bothers the crew in here.

She is awful though, I refuse to believe people actually watch her garbage. 

I watched it.  The only thing that really bothered me was the laugh track. 

My issue with Roseanne and any other trump supporter is this whole notion of "why do you want our president to fail?" when the same people were pissing and moaning about how Obama was the antichrist for 8 years. And the sad part is they don't even see the hypocrisy. 

Roseanne has always been pretty nutty. During the original run of "Roseanne" she was a handful to deal with behind the scenes. She threatened to quit several times and ran off a lot of the original writers. One writer in particular who actually left "The Cosby Show" to work on Roseanne said that he would never work with her again.

And if you watched the original run of Roseanne you'll notice a steep drop in quality around season 6 onward. The more creative control she had over the show, the worse it got. The lottery storyline was all Roseanne, so was the terrible "it was all a book I was writing" finale. 

I watched the first two episodes of the reboot and it wasn't very good. 

Tom Arnold was behind some of the best seasons of Roseanne. 

:lol:

Trump guy #1: This thread is proof that libs hate anything connected to Trump, for no good reason!

Trump guy #2: I agree!! The show does suck, though.

Roseanne's show has always been a representation of America. She is showing, through comedy, what most of America is going through within families. Trump should not be congratulating her nor should other Trump voters feel vindicated or anything. Same goes for Hilary voters. I don't think anyone is bothered by anything about the show, politically. People, Trump supporters, are grasping at anything to prop their puppet up. Vindication? Yeah, okay.

Users who are viewing this thread