What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report: Omicron is much more contagious - Discussion on severity (2 Viewers)

It's important to be accurate
Then you should be accurate.
I was. Say what you mean.
I did in the post you originally quoted.
Well, I'll be generous and say you are mistaken, rather than call you a liar. The 'vast majority' of death and hospitalizations in all age groups were not in the unvaccinated in 2022. That's simply untrue.
Link?

From that article:

the unvaccinated are still far more likely to be hospitalized or die than people who are vaccinated with at least two doses of the Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccines or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

And from the same article:

Overall, the risk of dying from Covid-19 is still about five times higher for unvaccinated people than it is for those vaccinated with at least their primary series, CDC data shows.

It's important to be accurate
Then you should be accurate.
I was. Say what you mean.
I did in the post you originally quoted.
Well, I'll be generous and say you are mistaken, rather than call you a liar. The 'vast majority' of death and hospitalizations in all age groups were not in the unvaccinated in 2022. That's simply untrue.
Link?

From that article:

the unvaccinated are still far more likely to be hospitalized or die than people who are vaccinated with at least two doses of the Moderna or Pfizer/BioNTech mRNA vaccines or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

And from the same article:

Overall, the risk of dying from Covid-19 is still about five times higher for unvaccinated people than it is for those vaccinated with at least their primary series, CDC data shows.
Yes. Accurate statements both.

Had you said those things, you'd have been correct. Instead you posted misinformation. Perhaps you were just being unclear inadvertently. We all do it from time to time. I'm simply stating that it's important to be exact when making statements about Covid, because too many people have been badly misinformed about so many things for so long and it's still affecting people and attitudes to this day.

Instead you posted misinformation.
What was the misinformation?
You said: The vast majority of deaths and hospitalizations were unvaccinated in all age groups.

Simply untrue, as I've demonstrated. If your point was that vaccination reduces the risk profile of catching Covid, especially of the elderly, you should have said that. That's not what you said.

In fact, if you bothered to look at the data presented in the U.K. link, you'd see that deaths are now greater in the vaccinated group. Of course that's because most people are vaccinated (especially the elderly), and the ones who aren't vaccinated (young children) have never been at any meaningful risk from the outset.
Spelling out exactly what is happening is the only way the public at large will trust in public health authorities. Nuance is important.

I have to appreciate Eric Adam's reply to why there is still a mandate for city workers.

Mayor Eric Adams is officially ending COVID-19 vaccine mandates for private-sector employees and student athletes in public schools — but not for city workers.

The private-sector mandate will be phased out Nov. 1, while the end of the student athlete requirement is effective immediately, Adams revealed Tuesday.

But he offered little explanation for why vaccine mandates were still required for city workers, including teachers and cops.

Instead, Adams defended his vaccine requirements throughout the pandemic, saying: “I don’t think anything dealing with COVID makes sense, and there’s no (one) logical pathway.”

For the record, the CDC does not recommend waiting 3 months after contracting covid-19 to get boosted. You can get it as soon as you’ve recovered from infection.

You do need to wait 60 days after your most recent SARS-CoV-2 vaccine though.

Why the difference? Natural immunity is less predictable than vaccination.

All mandates really should be dropped. This latest variant infected tons of people and it's no where near as severe.
What about school aged children? A bunch of vaccines are mandated for them, many for diseases to which they’re unlikely to be exposed, e.g. polio.

Although deaths from covid-19 in kids under 18 are rare, there have been ~1500 since the start of the pandemic.

All mandates really should be dropped. This latest variant infected tons of people and it's no where near as severe.
What about school aged children? A bunch of vaccines are mandated for them, many for diseases to which they’re unlikely to be exposed, e.g. polio.

Although deaths from covid-19 in kids under 18 are rare, there have been ~1500 since the start of the pandemic.
The original strain and early variants were the cause of most of those deaths I’d bet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertBourla
@AlbertBourla
I have tested positive for COVID. I’m feeling well & symptom free. I’ve not had the new bivalent booster yet, as I was following CDC guidelines to wait 3 months since my previous COVID case which was back in mid-August. While we’ve made great progress, the virus is still with us.
Wow, new infection or the same one boomeranging back? Best of luck, hope you stay symptom free.

They can be a transmission vector too. But people have had the opportunity to get vaxxed if they want to at this point IMO. Including kids.

They can be a transmission vector too. But people have had the opportunity to get vaxxed if they want to at this point IMO. Including kids.
Not all kids were eligible for vaccination. They certainly haven’t all had access to the bivalent boosters. And the point of mandates isn’t to increase opportunity for vaccination anyway.

To be clear, I’m playing devil’s advocate here, but can definitely see an argument for continuing mandates in certain segments of society. School aged kids already have precedent for vaccine mandates, after all. Why should covid-19 be any different than other infections?

For the record, the CDC does not recommend waiting 3 months after contracting covid-19 to get boosted. You can get it as soon as you’ve recovered from infection.

The White House has put something similar out as well. Biden is going to wait on the booster because he has recently recovered from Covid. So again, the messaging is all over the place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertBourla
@AlbertBourla
I have tested positive for COVID. I’m feeling well & symptom free. I’ve not had the new bivalent booster yet, as I was following CDC guidelines to wait 3 months since my previous COVID case which was back in mid-August. While we’ve made great progress, the virus is still with us.
Wow, new infection or the same one boomeranging back? Best of luck, hope you stay symptom free.
No idea, that was Bourla's (Pfizer CEO) tweet. I have a friend who works for Pfizer and she let me know she is covid positive. There was an event held in DC last week for Pfizer and they had an outbreak. I didn't ask if Bourla was at that event, but it would explain why he tested himself without having symptoms.

Not all kids were eligible for vaccination. They certainly haven’t all had access to the bivalent boosters. And the point of mandates isn’t to increase opportunity for vaccination anyway.

To be clear, I’m playing devil’s advocate here, but can definitely see an argument for continuing mandates in certain segments of society. School aged kids already have precedent for vaccine mandates, after all. Why should covid-19 be any different than other infections?
Kinda agree with this.

There was an event held in DC last week for Pfizer and they had an outbreak

does nobody else see the irony there ?
The vaccine doesn't protect against infection. The new booster isn't a whole lot better if at all. The demand for the jab is dwindling.

We're probably in the early stages of the next covid wave already.
I thought the jury was still out on the new booster?

New variants coming though, I was reading about them yesterday.

There was an event held in DC last week for Pfizer and they had an outbreak

does nobody else see the irony there ?
The vaccine doesn't protect against infection. The new booster isn't a whole lot better if at all. The demand for the jab is dwindling.

We're probably in the early stages of the next covid wave already.
I thought the jury was still out on the new booster?

New variants coming though, I was reading about them yesterday.
It might be, but a recent study doesn't look good. There is a link to the study in his twitter thread. My computer is giving me some issues with copy/paste this morning.

David Zweig

Surprising data from the bivalent booster trial that has received little notice. The bivalent booster conferred no benefit over the old booster for preventing infection Sample is underpowered and this is an "exploratory" finding, but it certainly raises some questions?

He was a guest on The Hill discussing it.

Unreal that some of you here are still pushing for vax mandates.
Agreed. Especially considering almost nobody is getting them for their young kids. I think the last update I saw was less than 2% of young children are fully vaccinated since they became eligible a few months ago. I'm not sure how high the new booster uptake has been but my guess is it's not super popular. Real world experience flies in the face of any potential mandate.

If the new booster isn't going to stop or slow people catching and transmitting it, I see no point to any mandates. Essentially that makes the vaccine a personal risk modifier with no real impact on the risk of others. Mandates are about reducing societal risks, not personal risks IMO.

Unreal that some of you here are still pushing for vax mandates.
Agreed. Especially considering almost nobody is getting them for their young kids. I think the last update I saw was less than 2% of young children are fully vaccinated since they became eligible a few months ago. I'm not sure how high the new booster uptake has been but my guess is it's not super popular. Real world experience flies in the face of any potential mandate.
As of last week only 4.4 million people have gotten the new booster.

For reference the US purchased 171 million bivalent booster doses, so likely we are going to be throwing away a lot of those as well.

Kids arent being mandated. You are arguing for a position that hasnt happened.

Canada finally comes around.

Canada to end entry requirements: Travelers will not be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccine, testing​

The White House has put something similar out as well. Biden is going to wait on the booster because he has recently recovered from Covid. So again, the messaging is all over the place.
I know the laypress has promoted that idea, but nothing in the official guidelines suggests waiting.

I know the laypress has promoted that idea, but nothing in the official guidelines suggests waiting.
The CDC guidelines say it's ok to delay up to 3 months.

In addition, people who recently had SARS-CoV-2 infection may consider delaying a primary series dose or booster dose by 3 months from symptom onset or positive test (if infection was asymptomatic). Studies have shown that increased time between infection and vaccination may result in an improved immune response to vaccination. Also, a low risk of reinfection has been observed in the weeks to months following infection. Individual factors such as risk of COVID-19 severe disease, COVID-19 community level, or characteristics of the predominant SARS-CoV-2 strain should be taken into account when determining whether to delay getting a COVID-19 vaccination after infection.

In addition, people who recently had SARS-CoV-2 infection may consider delaying a primary series dose or booster dose by 3 months from symptom onset or positive test (if infection was asymptomatic). Studies have shown that increased time between infection and vaccination may result in an improved immune response to vaccination. Also, a low risk of reinfection has been observed in the weeks to months following infection. Individual factors such as risk of COVID-19 severe disease, COVID-19 community level, or characteristics of the predominant SARS-CoV-2 strain should be taken into account when determining whether to delay getting a COVID-19 vaccination after infection.

May consider is not the same as recommending it, as suggested by Bourla and people in threads like this. The CDC doesn’t even factor prior infection into its Find out when to get a booster tool.

May consider is not the same as recommending it, as suggested by Bourla and people in threads like this. The CDC doesn’t even factor prior infection into its Find out when to get a booster tool.
Sure, but the whole point was about non clear guidance and now we're seeing why. The pfizer CEO. WH and CDC all have mentioned waiting to get a booster.

Last edited:

Sure, but the whole point was about nuclear guidance and now we're seeing why. The pfizer CEO. WH and CDC all have mentioned waiting to get a booster.
Meh. You guys get upset when the guidance isn’t nuanced, then complain about it being unclear when more details are provided. If I didn’t know better, I might think you’re just looking for faults with vaccine policy.

I tried to find this, but had no luck. Any link for this?

Q And on the CDC booster, specifically as it relates to the President, if the CDC director — excuse me, the new boosters — if the CDC director signs off on the boosters as expected tomorrow and they do start rolling out next week, can we expect the President to get his booster shot next week?

MS. JEAN-PIERRE: So I don’t have any dates to announce yet on — on when he will get it. But obviously, the President was just infected with Omicron, and is really well protected, as you all know, right now against — against COVID.

So CDC has always provided that guidance on timing for boosters as it relates to prior infection. And they’ll do that here as well, as it relates to the President and your question.

But he will absolutely get his updated booster and will encourage eligible Americans to do the same when — when he’s able to.

Sure, but the whole point was about nuclear guidance and now we're seeing why. The pfizer CEO. WH and CDC all have mentioned waiting to get a booster.
Meh. You guys get upset when the guidance isn’t nuanced, then complain about it being unclear when more details are provided. If I didn’t know better, I might think you’re just looking for faults with vaccine policy.
You're the one who felt like calling out the distinction and claiming there is no guidance on waiting. That just isn't the case.

CDC is linking studies that show the benefit to waiting on getting a booster after an infection.

Would you recommend getting this at the same time as a flu shot for a 87-YO?

You're the one who felt like calling out the distinction and claiming there is no guidance on waiting. That just isn't the case.

CDC is linking studies that show the benefit to waiting on getting a booster after an infection.
No, I called out the idea that official guidance advocates waiting 3 months after covid-19 to get vaccinated. That‘s a common misperception, as the CDC, etc. have never been definitive on this topic, other than delaying the shot until infection resolves, in part because the optimal timing isn’t clear.

Much like “natural immunity is better than vaccination”, some people cling to information which supports their biases, especially when such information promotes inaction. Then it gets repeated like the word of God, and actual policy is ignored.

Would you recommend getting this at the same time as a flu shot for a 87-YO?
If I were an 87-year old, I’d get all my vaccines as soon as I could.

While they’re safe to get simultaneously, some people space them out a bit to avoid stacking vaccine side effects. So if (s)he had a hard time with either shot previously, some time between them may lessen the pain. But immunologically, it’s fine to get both shots the same day.

I received the flu shot a few days before the bivalent booster, in part because I was working and didn’t want to miss any time due to the booster‘s side effects. As it turned out, I tolerated both shots with hardly any symptoms.

Last edited:

No, I called out the idea that official guidance advocates waiting 3 months after covid-19 to get vaccinated. That‘s a common misperception, as the CDC, etc. have never been definitive on this topic, other than delaying the shot until infection resolves, in part because the optimal timing isn’t clear.

Much like “natural immunity is better than vaccination”, some people cling to information which supports their biases, especially when such information promotes inaction. Then it gets repeated like the word of God, and actual policy is ignored.
Yeah, that pesky natural immunity really holding it's own. Who would have thought...

Yeah, that pesky natural immunity really holding it's own. Who would have thought...
Nothing pesky about it. Just people want to oversimplify things, particularly when their oversimplification allows them not to be inconvenienced.

Nothing pesky about it. Just people want to oversimplify things, particularly when their oversimplification allows them not to be inconvenienced.
True, I'm only 4 or 5 shots away from catching covid multiple times in one year.

Users who are viewing this thread