What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Report: 49ers-Raiders (pre-season) series to end (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death

Footballguy
The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders will end their annual preseason matchup as a result of the fan violence at Saturday's game, the San Jose Mercury News reported Monday, citing a high-ranking NFL source.

The source told the newspaper that both the NFL and local police are in favor of ending the preseason rivalry game.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee said Monday he was horrified as he watched violent fan confrontations at a weekend NFL preseason football game between the archrival 49ers and the Oakland Raiders.

Lee attended Saturday's game at Candlestick Park in San Francisco with Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, and both witnessed the brawling firsthand as spectators.

"They were just constantly wailing at each other without regard to who was there," Lee said of the fans. "This is a family outing, for residents and visitors and people who want to see the game, not for people to look for people they don't like, then saying bad words, then getting into it."

One of the victims, a 24-year-old man who reportedly was wearing a T-shirt reading "F--- the Niners," was shot several times in the stomach. Police said he managed to make it to stadium security for help despite the injuries.

The other victim whose condition was upgraded is a 26-year-old man who was beaten unconscious in an upper-level stadium restroom during the fourth quarter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6884942/san-francisco-49ers-oakland-raiders-end-preseason-rivalry-report-says

I hear similar stories regarding Dodger Stadium, highlighted by this season's beating of an SF Giants fan. It should go without saying how deplorable and unacceptable this behavior is in any setting, let alone meaningless sporting events.

The San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders will end their annual preseason matchup as a result of the fan violence at Saturday's game, the San Jose Mercury News reported Monday, citing a high-ranking NFL source.

The source told the newspaper that both the NFL and local police are in favor of ending the preseason rivalry game.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee said Monday he was horrified as he watched violent fan confrontations at a weekend NFL preseason football game between the archrival 49ers and the Oakland Raiders.

Lee attended Saturday's game at Candlestick Park in San Francisco with Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, and both witnessed the brawling firsthand as spectators.

"They were just constantly wailing at each other without regard to who was there," Lee said of the fans. "This is a family outing, for residents and visitors and people who want to see the game, not for people to look for people they don't like, then saying bad words, then getting into it."

One of the victims, a 24-year-old man who reportedly was wearing a T-shirt reading "F--- the Niners," was shot several times in the stomach. Police said he managed to make it to stadium security for help despite the injuries.

The other victim whose condition was upgraded is a 26-year-old man who was beaten unconscious in an upper-level stadium restroom during the fourth quarter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6884942/san-francisco-49ers-oakland-raiders-end-preseason-rivalry-report-says

I hear similar stories regarding Dodger Stadium, highlighted by this season's beating of an SF Giants fan. It should go without saying how deplorable and unacceptable this behavior is in any setting, let alone meaningless sporting events.
Although there are some similarities to the Dodger beating, I've been reading reports that the shootings at least were possibly gang related, and not necessarily "sports fan" anger. The main suspect for the guy who shot the "F--- the Niners" shirt was wearing Raiders gear too.

The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.

SF should forfeit all pro sports franchises. The fans are terrible people. Move the Niners to LA and the SF Giants San Jose.

SF should forfeit all pro sports franchises. The fans are terrible people. Move the Niners to LA and the SF Giants San Jose.
The other side of the bay is the problem. They actually bus Raider fans in from the local prisons.
The fanbase for both of these teams is a total disgrace. Thuggy, trashy, pieces of crap.Put them all in a parking lot, let them have a weapon of choice and lock the gate.

It's a shame that people in the Bay Area in general act this way. San Francisco and Oakland don't like each other. It's been that way for the longest time. I remember the 80's 49ers with their caviar & wine tasting, scarves inside the collar, pass the grey poupon crowd. We who represented Oakland came from the shipping docks of Alameda, pipefitters, welders, construction labor. The hardhat crew came out to support Madden's Raiders and would go out to local bars and buy Matusak and Sistrunk beer. It was a real relationship. Nothing phony or disconnected about it. The Niners were for the well-to-do types, and the Raiders were middle class, industrial labor types, rough and ready.

Now, that whole culture has dissolved away and its gang warefare on both sides of the bay. The cultural identities of the teams and cities has morphed, and not in a good way. The guy that was wearing the "F the Niners" was a punk that was asking for trouble, but the Niner fans who shot him were equally low.

I remember growing up a Dodger fan and going to Candlestick Park to watch the Giants/Dodgers game. I was just a kid, but they would swear unmercifily if you wore a Dodger hat. (Fernando Valenzuela was my hero back then). I saw a fellow Dodger fan older than me get his hat thrown off the balcony. Stuff like that was a bad as a got back in the day. These days you need to be packing heat. It's a sad, sad state and sign of the times.

That's all they've been talking about today on local sports talk...people are really fired up.

It's a shame that people in the Bay Area in general act this way. San Francisco and Oakland don't like each other.
I remember the 89 World Series when they had hats that had SF on one side and Oakland on the other. The fans generally mock the other for the various stereotypes but it's nothing like SF/LA or NY/Boston.A few moron thugs have ruined the whole thing but in general it's nothing like you've described.

That's too bad and I feel for the fans. A similar thing happened wiht fans getting out of control at the Texans vs Cowboys game last year where a few bad apples ruined one of the best tailgating experiences in the league. There's still some tailgating but it's nothing like it was before.

It's a shame that people in the Bay Area in general act this way. San Francisco and Oakland don't like each other.
I remember the 89 World Series when they had hats that had SF on one side and Oakland on the other. The fans generally mock the other for the various stereotypes but it's nothing like SF/LA or NY/Boston.A few moron thugs have ruined the whole thing but in general it's nothing like you've described.
True and not. There is no San Francisco/Oakland rivalry to speak of. I live in Oakland, I prefer Oakland to San Francisco, I can go to San Francisco whenever I like. I love both places. But I love only the places I love within. I don't love East Oakland, I don't love West Oakland, I don't love Bayview. I don't go there ever.There's a nasty crime, thug, idiot element in both places, notoriously in Oakland. The problem is that the Raider-9er games essentially becomes a sanctioned fight. Put the criminals, thugs and idiots in the same place, give them beer, and something to rival/talk trash over. What do you expect? I used to go to Raider and 9er games. I quit the Raiders 10 or so years ago. Not sure I'll bother anymore with the 9ers.

It's a shame that people in the Bay Area in general act this way. San Francisco and Oakland don't like each other. It's been that way for the longest time. I remember the 80's 49ers with their caviar & wine tasting, scarves inside the collar, pass the grey poupon crowd. We who represented Oakland came from the shipping docks of Alameda, pipefitters, welders, construction labor. The hardhat crew came out to support Madden's Raiders and would go out to local bars and buy Matusak and Sistrunk beer. It was a real relationship. Nothing phony or disconnected about it. The Niners were for the well-to-do types, and the Raiders were middle class, industrial labor types, rough and ready. Now, that whole culture has dissolved away and its gang warefare on both sides of the bay. The cultural identities of the teams and cities has morphed, and not in a good way. The guy that was wearing the "F the Niners" was a punk that was asking for trouble, but the Niner fans who shot him were equally low. I remember growing up a Dodger fan and going to Candlestick Park to watch the Giants/Dodgers game. I was just a kid, but they would swear unmercifily if you wore a Dodger hat. (Fernando Valenzuela was my hero back then). I saw a fellow Dodger fan older than me get his hat thrown off the balcony. Stuff like that was a bad as a got back in the day. These days you need to be packing heat. It's a sad, sad state and sign of the times.
:goodposting:

Haven't been to many games lately but did go two years ago to the Ravens/49ers game and noticed ZERO problems.

I live in the bay area, 20 from Oakland/30 from San Francisco and we have 49ers/Raiders fans at an even split and no issues at all. Half my friends are Raider fans and we mess with eachother but it's never even neared violence. I do live in surburbia so maybe it was gang related from the big cities. I am glad they ended these games, it's a disgrace.

The worst part here is Giants fans, i've heard and once intervened when 3 25ish year olds were cussing out an 11 year old about his dodger uniform for F'n little league. Ridiculous.

I see they've banned tailgating after kickoff. Does that do anything besides move the drunks inside sooner? Maybe they need to restrict tailgating to start later as well.

Users who are viewing this thread