What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zach Evans, LAR (1 Viewer)

Very much upstaged by Quinshon Judkins this past season. Judkins has some nice potential, but Evans seemed to lose favor as the year went on and was nicked up quite a bit.

My takeaway was I’m not sure how much he likes to compete.

Very much upstaged by Quinshon Judkins this past season. Judkins has some nice potential, but Evans seemed to lose favor as the year went on and was nicked up quite a bit.

My takeaway was I’m not sure how much he likes to compete.
Judkins is a rare talent. No shame in losing touches to him.

Looks very talented.

Also sounds like some off field concerns. Teams will do homework on that, depending on what they dig up seems like the kind of guy I could see us sitting on day 3 wondering why he's not been drafted yet.

Looks very talented.

Also sounds like some off field concerns. Teams will do homework on that, depending on what they dig up seems like the kind of guy I could see us sitting on day 3 wondering why he's not been drafted yet.
if you call the recruiting fiasco off the field issues, then have it. I think that is ridiculous. Or did I miss something?

Looks very talented.

if you call the recruiting fiasco off the field issues, then have it. I think that is ridiculous. Or did I miss something?
The recruiting was a fiasco. Taken solely by itself however I'd just brush it off. Except that's not the case. There is no smoking gun on Evans, but it's a collection of stuff when pieced together, with the recruiting fiasco a part of that puzzle, its' a little concerning and my guess right now is whether you think the issues merit concern or not that the NFL will. Just takes one team to not feel that way but right now I'm of the opinion he's going to be one of those 5th round pick types no one understand how they could have fallen that far.

What are those issues? He was suspended twice in his last year of high school. You might say sitting in front of your computer saying "high school" the way Iverson used "practice" but some of this stuff happened just a few months past 3 years ago, it's not that ancient history. The first suspension was two games. The second suspension was during the playoffs(because he refused to get off his cell phone in a team meeting). He also arrived late for another playoff game because he scheduled and SAT or ACT exam in direct conflict with the game.

I live in the area and the word is one of the reasons he wanted to transfer out of TCU was he did not like his NIL opportunites. Transfers to a place where he's not even the primary RB and why is that a character concern? Because a lot of the talk about him is that he's just not that in love with the game, not that dedicated to it. You can it's a bunch of nothing but it's a bunch of stuff and and those actions don't do a lot to refute he's not that into or dedicated to the game. At a position that is not well paid, that takes a lot of grit and toughness and alternatives can easily be found that's just not ideal to me.

On top of that, and this is not a character concern, but I found it odd he leaned up for the combine but would not do any drills. On top of the other stuff it does again make me question his commitment and training but willing to give him benefit of the doubt.

Just a whole lot of smoke, but no smoking gun, so people can make up their own mind but I have a level of concern with him. Quite big on the talent, he looks more like Kamara to me running then Gibbs.

Looks very talented.

The recruiting was a fiasco. Taken solely by itself however I'd just brush it off. Except that's not the case. There is no smoking gun on Evans, but it's a collection of stuff when pieced together, with the recruiting fiasco a part of that puzzle, its' a little concerning and my guess right now is whether you think the issues merit concern or not that the NFL will. Just takes one team to not feel that way but right now I'm of the opinion he's going to be one of those 5th round pick types no one understand how they could have fallen that far.

What are those issues? He was suspended twice in his last year of high school. You might say sitting in front of your computer saying "high school" the way Iverson used "practice" but some of this stuff happened just a few months past 3 years ago, it's not that ancient history. The first suspension was two games. The second suspension was during the playoffs(because he refused to get off his cell phone in a team meeting). He also arrived late for another playoff game because he scheduled and SAT or ACT exam in direct conflict with the game.

I live in the area and the word is one of the reasons he wanted to transfer out of TCU was he did not like his NIL opportunites. Transfers to a place where he's not even the primary RB and why is that a character concern? Because a lot of the talk about him is that he's just not that in love with the game, not that dedicated to it. You can it's a bunch of nothing but it's a bunch of stuff and and those actions don't do a lot to refute he's not that into or dedicated to the game. At a position that is not well paid, that takes a lot of grit and toughness and alternatives can easily be found that's just not ideal to me.

On top of that, and this is not a character concern, but I found it odd he leaned up for the combine but would not do any drills. On top of the other stuff it does again make me question his commitment and training but willing to give him benefit of the doubt.

Just a whole lot of smoke, but no smoking gun, so people can make up their own mind but I have a level of concern with him. Quite big on the talent, he looks more like Kamara to me running then Gibbs.
I believe all of that is weak.

I read quite a few tweets/reports that his lack of participation at the combine was a red flag - that he may have blown an opportunity to change some preconceived notions about him.

As @menobrown said, it only takes one team to take a shot on him - I’m wondering how late he’ll slide. 4th round feels about right.

I read quite a few tweets/reports that his lack of participation at the combine was a red flag - that he may have blown an opportunity to change some preconceived notions about him.

As @menobrown said, it only takes one team to take a shot on him - I’m wondering how late he’ll slide. 4th round feels about right.
Much to do about nothing. Mountain derived from a Mole hill.

I guess we’ll find out for sure in a few weeks.

I guess we’ll find out for sure in a few weeks.
Besides, I’ve seen good RBs drafted in the 4th round, but my guess is he will go in the 3rd. That BS about high school is ridiculous, as well as the recruiting. I don’t hold against high school students. Of course they are immature at that age. Also, several players decided at the last moment not to run or other at the combone.

I'm thinking 4-5th range and I absolutely anticipate off field issues driving down his price a little to a lot. It's not a mystery and already heard a few reliable people with NFL contacts say his desire and want to has been questioned, and that was before the combine-which I'm not even holding against him right now and whether NFL does or not I don't know as they'd be more in position to know what is really going on with him.

Ole Miss Pro day is Wednesday, broadcast on NFLN actually.

Interesting dude, there are so many variables, he transferred, had some injuries, played with some good backs which messed up his totals--but he's very efficient, then shows up at 200 pounds when I was thinking he was a 215 pound DeMarco Murray looking dude. And the character stuff.

Lot of different things to skew his evaluation.

What gives?
Wondering the same. I saw him ranging all over the place in rankings, so not truly shocking, but I'd have bet money he'd be off the board by now.

Same with Tucker, but I understand there's the heart condition, and we don't know how impactful that condition is going to be. Probably what's scaring teams off.

What did he do? All I remember is the stupid recruiting fiasco coming out of HS. Did he kill someone in the last week?
Covered it all a few posts up a few weeks ago. It's a lot of older stuff but that’s just what is known, his character is his character and does not sound like it changed.

I was pulling for him and have been taking a lot of shots in teen round range of redrafts because he looks talented. I thought he’d fall but this was worse then I thought.

Cardinal sin, as far as teams are concerned, is when you don’t appear to love or have commitment to the game. Especially at that position.

Keep in mind that Cam Akers is entering in a final year of rookie contract. Ofc, it may be possible that Rams would take another RB next year.

Rams selected Ole Miss RB Zach Evans with the No. 215 pick in the 2023 NFL draft.​

Evans (5’11/202) began his collegiate career as the first five-star recruit in program history for the Horned Frogs. He was set to blow up in his sophomore season but a turf toe injury cut his season short at 648 yards through six games. Evans then transferred to Ole Miss but was relegated to committee duties, running for 936 yards and nine scores on 144 attempts. He is a one-cut runner who doesn’t dance around much, but also lacks the size and pass-catching chops necessary to command a three-down role. He will likely be cast as a committee back by the Rams.
Apr 29, 2023, 5:18 PM ET

Keep in mind that Cam Akers is entering in a final year of rookie contract. Ofc, it may be possible that Rams would take another RB next year.
This might be another zamir white trap, but with where the other RBs went im intrigued with Evans here.

I don't tend to like guys that transfer because they're afraid of competition.
That’s the biggest knock on him, IIRC.

He was considered ahead of Bijan at one point.
He didn't transfer due to competition, he transferred because ole miss is an NIL factory who offered him a bag.
That could also be a turn-off to some coaches.

Feels like the NIL factor is going to have some bumps in the road until it really settles in, since for so long it was so different.

He didn't transfer due to competition, he transferred because ole miss is an NIL factory who offered him a bag.

Feels like the NIL factor is going to have some bumps in the road until it really settles in, since for so long it was so different.
"So, says here that you're into money. Is that right?"

lol - I mean, sure, it sounds absurd when you put it like that, but I can definitely see an old school mentality clashing with the NIL reality a bit.

Players who transfer for playing time, opportunity to win a championship, etc would seemingly have a more pure intent.

I’m not saying this is accurate, just trying to think through why his star has fallen so severely.

Must be some combination of ability, attitude, intelligence, or “love of the game”, which coaches value highly.

lol - I mean, sure, it sounds absurd when you put it like that, but I can definitely see an old school mentality clashing with the NIL reality a bit.

Players who transfer for playing time, opportunity to win a championship, etc would seemingly have a more pure intent.

I’m not saying this is accurate, just trying to think through why his star has fallen so severely.

Must be some combination of ability, attitude, intelligence, or “love of the game”, which coaches value highly.
Oh, make no mistake about it, he's an idiot. He cost himself more in the draft than he ever made in NIL I bet. He could have been at least a 3rd round pick and probably a late 2nd, if he hadn't ruined public opinion of himself. He rolled the dice and lost.

Didn't Addison transfer to USC for the NIL bag? I'm sure he's not the only one.

I would assume there's something else that burnt Evans, and not his desire to get paid.

I would assume there's something else that burnt Evans, and not his desire to get paid.
Oh for sure. There could be stuff his coaches have said, off-field issues we don’t know about, etc, etc.

It’s crazy how quickly his shine faded. I know turf toe ruined his 2021 season. He was a top 16 recruit, but he did have some issues in high school - disciplinary suspension IIRC?

Then didn’t he have a wishy washy thing where he committed to Georgia, then didn’t, then decided not to announce, and just put everyone in an awkward situation?

I’m sure there’s more - this is just what I recall.

Dude went from the #1 RB in the country to a There’s something going on tnat we aren’t privy to a 6th round pick.

Last edited:
Yes. His high school career was god awful for red flags. We may not have be getting details exactly what action's he's done since but pretty apparent he's not cleaned up his act.

And BTW I have been drafting the heck out of him in early redrafts and will try and draft him in some dynasty leagues if the price is right. I'll bet on a character issues with talent, even with bad draft pedigree, again if the cost is right and just keep hoping something scares them into acting right.

So I'm not trying to crap on the guy, but I've been saying in here for awhile he has some issues that was going to cause him to drop but to it was further then I thought.

Put me down as liking the landing spot. Akers has not been a beacon of health and not a whole other lot to beat out if his head is on straight.

Oh for sure. There could be stuff his coaches have said, off-field issues we don’t know about, etc, etc.

It’s crazy how quickly his shine faded. I know turf toe ruined his 2021 season. He was a top 16 recruit, but he did have some issues in high school - disciplinary suspension IIRC?

Then didn’t he have a wishy washy thing where he committed to Georgia, then didn’t, then decided not to announce, and just put everyone in an awkward situation?

I’m sure there’s more - this is just what I recall.

Dude went from the #1 RB in the country to not drafted. There’s something going on tnat we aren’t privy to.
He was drafted. Keep up.

He was probably thinking of tucker who had a similar drop-off.

The knock on Evans was that he was afraid of competition and didn't take over touches at either school. Sure, the other guys were nfl talents too, but that just means that he's not as good as kendre miller and Miller went in the late third. By that comparison, 5th round seems right.

His player profiler comp is Sony Michel...after watching tape that seems about right.

Rams run blocking isn't exactly great so I have him with a pretty low ceiling, but decent floor.

The knock on Evans was that he was afraid of competition and didn't take over touches at either school. Sure, the other guys were nfl talents too, but that just means that he's not as good as kendre miller and Miller went in the late third. By that comparison, 5th round seems right.

I've never heard any credible report that Evans was afraid of competition.

Your post seems to insinuate that Kendre Miller beat him out or was the 1A. That's not accurate.

I've never heard any credible report that Evans was afraid of competition.

Your post seems to insinuate that Kendre Miller beat him out or was the 1A. That's not accurate.
Help me to be more accurate. When Evans got hurt, kendre took over and was amazing. Evans then left and went to Ole miss.

The insinuation that he was afraid to compete with Miller in his junior year doesn't seen like a huge reach considering the impact miller had on tcu but I understand the nil angle.

Then he got beat out by Judkins who also looks like an NFL talent. So that's two guys he didn't beat out.

Users who are viewing this thread