What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zach Evans, LAR (3 Viewers)

Zach Evans could face plant this weekend and an RBBC could develop until Kyren Williams comes back; however, at this moment in time, I am liking his chances of beating out Royce Freeman and Myles Gaskin who was languishing on the Vikings practice squad.

He absolutely could face plant, but with Bye Week Hell in full effect he's almost certainly going directly from the waiver wire into my RB2 slot with his likely snap share and matchup.

The Steelers' defense has not been good at stopping the run for a while, and this season is no different. Their defense isn't very good this year, in general. They still get sacks and turnovers, but they've been a sieve for yardage. Nearly 400/YPG, with over 140 of that being on the ground. Even if Evans winds up giving up some snaps to <RBNotNamedZach>, he should be able to put up a pretty serviceable line. Especially if the Rams get ahead early.

From all reports, Evans is not trusted to pass block.
Are these legitimate reports or just fantasy analyst speculation?

There are some legitimate concerns on his pass protection skills:

Pros and cons of Los Angeles Rams taking Ole Miss football's Zach Evans in 2023 NFL Draft

Excerpt:

He wasn't asked to pass-block much last season, but when he did, he wasn't very good at it. Evans had pass-blocking duty on 25 snaps last season and received a 29.6 grade in that area from Pro Football Focus.

Rams probably won’t even try to run the ball more than a handful of times is a very possible outcome

Potentially, yeah...unless they manage to get a decent lead. And that's what I'm tossing down chips on, at least as of today.

The Steelers are not a very good football team right now. I could easily see them getting "Kupp'd" by halftime. That happens, the Rams aren't going to drop Stafford back anotehr 35 times against that pass rush, particularly when the Pittsburgh run defense isn't great anyway. The question then becomes; "Is Evans the benificiary of that potential outcome, or someone else?" Or do they split touches at RB so much it makes all of them useless?

If the squad where I picked him up weren't looking at such RB nonsense due to byes/players performing like dreck, I'd have proably just avoided the situation completely, but here we are.

The Coach Speak Index
#Rams coach Sean McVay on whether rookie RB Zach Evans is on track to start this week:
“I wouldn’t say that”
“All four of those guys are possibilities and we’re truly navigating through that
”McVay also said “he’s gotten better” and “I’m looking forward to seeing how he handles this week”
Not the most ringing of endorsements for Evans.
Maybe that changes on Friday, but he’s looking like a clear avoid this week.
McVay has a 75% reliability rating on usage/workload coachspeak and a 90% reliability rating on depth chart coachspeak

I'm not so worried about the Rams signing 3 RB. They did lose two. I may be forced to start Evans but my biggest worry is we don't know if this rookie is ready from a pass protection standpoint. We could be looking after the game and one of the veterans might get most of the work. We also don't know which vet that might be if it happens.

Matt Waldman
Zach Evans #nfldraft

Time to take one last look at…his vision:

-scheme knowledge
-addressing unplanned obstacles
-integrating eyes/mind/feet
-game script management

This is a mature/advanced run below. I will add to this thread as night progresses

2023-03-07

Short on glib quote tweets, long on insights about Zach Evans.

The big Q on Evans isn’t his talent, but if he has shown or will show Sean McVay that he’s ready to play low-error ball that rookies often struggle to do.

• Pass Protection
  • Ball Security
  • Grasp on the playbook and intellectual acuity to avoid rookie errors

Those are the 3 biggest areas that could curtail productivity from Zach Evans until Kyren Williams is able to return.

Jourdan Rodrigue
Asked Sean McVay whether he has a sense on who will start/be in the rotation at RB Sunday.
"I have a sense, yes."
Can he share?
(lightheartedly) "No, I will not."

Adds Darrell Henderson will come up from practice squad. Adds could see all four, or a combination of three.

As I told @Michael_Fabiano when it comes to RBs rotation, I could see a blue sky and the Rams will turn it purple by Sunday. So please take with a grain of salt. But drills order (limited viewing for media) has gone: Freeman, Evans, Henderson, Gaskin.

And, FWIW, would not sleep on Henderson’s experience especially on some of the situational stuff the Rams do/have done in the past.

Calling it now. Freeman and Henderson start the game. McVay is being conservative and wants guys he knows can protect Stafford.

But when push comes to shove, those guys will not get it done on the ground. They'll average 3.3 yards per carry and McVay will turn to Evans for some juice.

And boy will he have JUICE.

Dude will pop off and he'll be their preferred option ON THE GROUND going forward.

Reminds me of the Demercardo situation but with even less chance for the rookie to get reps here unfortunately.
Demercardo sucks though. Evans is a rookie with legit pedigree who has already shown juice. Not saying he's a world beater but he's absolutely a better back than two washed up vets no other team wants.

the dude didn’t even get a carry…i get he’s learning the NFL game, but to not give him a few carries when you ran it 30x is unfathomable. I’m sure pass pro is a concern, but he’s just a more talented RB than those other two JAGS

the dude didn’t even get a carry…i get he’s learning the NFL game, but to not give him a few carries when you ran it 30x is unfathomable. I’m sure pass pro is a concern, but he’s just a more talented RB than those other two JAGS
I don't think that's necessarily true. Henderson has multiple 100 yard games against NFL players. Its very possible (likely I'd say) that Evans hasn't impressed at all in practice and that's why he couldn't pass Rivers and why it was no surprise he wasn't involved this week.

It was a close game all the way through. He's clearly not trusted yet. Doesn't mean he won't have a future, but it sure looks like it won't be this year.

Dropped. Wish I never picked him up. Didn't start him though
Didn't matter cause my team sucked balls this week

This might not be helpful, but I'm not sure what you all were expecting out of this guy. Everybody has been down on him but Waldman. That's, like, it. You've got Matt Waldman, Trey Sermon, and Hakeem Butler vs. the NFL.

The NFL doesn't often lose.

You have to take Waldman with the right grain of salt. He's great, but you have to only hope the longshots hit and don't base your diet on them. And pay attention to coachspeak and who the NFL is signing. That often tells you what you need to know.

No way this guy starts over Darrell Henderson if you read the tea leaves right here.

Reminds me of the Demercardo situation but with even less chance for the rookie to get reps here unfortunately.
Demercard

LMAO - why even roster this guy in real life if you don't give him a shot at all? Just cut him or trade him. Rams...jesus.
They do strange things with their RBs for sure. Last year it was all Cam Akers as I hung onto Kyren Williams waiting for his chance that never came...till this year. As they literally said that Evans was still developing (what exactly that means we don't know) his lack of opps is not a big surprise. He could be an every down back next year, but it's clear their assessment of him within their system says he's not ready yet.

Demercard

LMAO - why even roster this guy in real life if you don't give him a shot at all? Just cut him or trade him. Rams...jesus.
They do strange things with their RBs for sure. Last year it was all Cam Akers as I hung onto Kyren Williams waiting for his chance that never came...till this year. As they literally said that Evans was still developing (what exactly that means we don't know) his lack of opps is not a big surprise. He could be an every down back next year, but it's clear their assessment of him within their system says he's not ready yet.
McVay may retire. Wasn’t he contemplating it last year?

They are bringing him along slowly. He barely got snaps on special teams. Once you see his ST snaps scale up, next step would be some snaps at RB.
He must have a learning disability, because how much does it take to hand the ball off and say run?
I think you know too much about the game and the different responsibilities a RB has in the NFL to make such a statement.

Users who are viewing this thread