What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Cordarrelle Patterson, PIT (1 Viewer)

Is Cpatt a top 10 rb in next years ppr drafts? I know he's old but he doesn't have much tread on his tires.

How about leagues where he's still listed at WR?

Cordarrelle Patterson rushed 13 times for 78 yards, hauling in 3-of-5 targets for 18 receiving yards in Atlanta's Week 13 loss to the Bucs.

Patterson ripped a long run up the gut of Tampa Bay's defense to open the game, bursting through a handful of arm tackles for a 39-yard gain. It was also his most productive touch on the afternoon as the Bucs seemingly stuffed him and Atlanta's offense for three points (and a pick-six) from that point forward, hitting Matt Ryan 11 times for five sacks. Qadree Ollison was rumored to be more involved in his first game post-injury but Patterson notably out-touched him 16-3. The latter remains a borderline RB1 in Week 14 against the Panthers.

Dec 6, 2021, 1:17 AM ET

Regardless of what happens to my season, he's been my favorite player by far. Oddly enough, I'd be better off if he had WR eligibility in my league instead of being a RB, but he's been a phenomenal and unexpected flex for me. I'll always be a fan.

It really is a HORRIBLE year for QBs. Brady will get it by default but no other QB deserves to be mentioned.

Agreed. It's a sea of mediocrity... between division leaders, wildcard holders, and those 1-game outside... what are we looking at? 25-30 teams that could still potentially win it all?

If Pats beat Buffalo tonight, you'll even start to hear the, "Could a rookie QB win MVP?" stuff.

This guy has been my favorite pick up all year. With so many top names going down at RB, I'm pretty sure he's saved a few FF teams out there.

As for MVP, should be Brady by default, although I would like to see Taylor get some love for the way he's carrying Indy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Falcons 29, Panthers 21: Top 5 Observations

Excerpt:

2. Cordarrelle Patterson is good at football. The nine-year veteran found the end zone for the 10th time this season on a 5-yard rushing touchdown in the first quarter against the Panthers. 

To put things in perspective, Patterson scored nine touchdowns from 2015-2020 with the Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, New England Patriots and Chicago Bears. In his first season with the Falcons, he's already eclipsed that total from the past six seasons. This really fortifies Patterson's campaign for the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

Patterson has primarily been used as a running back recently, and in today's game, he carried the ball 16 times for 58 yards while catching just two passes for one yard on five targets. But no matter how the Falcons use Patterson, getting the ball in his hands is paramount for the offense.

Crazy part about CPatt is if you look at his highlights going back to his Raider years, he's made these exactly plays the entire time. They (Raiders, Pats, Bears) just never consistently gave him the opportunities to do it.

And BTW, Kupp has been the 2021 MVP so far.

My worry here for the playoffs is that Davis is starting to make more of an impact and getting more involved the last couple of games. Davis had his most touches this week since Week 5 with 16. Patterson had 18.

Patterson the last 2 weeks had his 2 lowest point total since his injury week and week 1.

Should we be concerned???

My worry here for the playoffs is that Davis is starting to make more of an impact and getting more involved the last couple of games. Davis had his most touches this week since Week 5 with 16. Patterson had 18.

Patterson the last 2 weeks had his 2 lowest point total since his injury week and week 1.

Should we be concerned???
It is frustrating that they aren't throwing as much to Patterson, are using him more as a traditional RB. With Ridley out it seemed like Patterson's targets should be increasing, not decreasing.

Falcons head coach Arthur Smith said he's managing touches for Falcons veterans, including Cordarrelle Patterson. 

“There’s a lot of thought put in,” Smith said when asked about Patterson's usage as a hybrid player. “We do with all our vets. We do what’s best for them. It’s best for the team. That’s where the decision is made with them. It’s a collaborative effort. So some guys at different points in their career, different points of the season ... you have to manage it, and you’ve got to do what’s best you think for the players and for your team.” Fantasy managers may have noticed the results of said load management: Patterson hasn't played more than half of Atlanta's offensive snaps since Week 9 while Mike Davis' playing time has increased in recent weeks. C-Patt has unfortunately been turned into the team's between-the-tackles grinder, totaling 45 carries over the team's past three games but seeing a meager 12 targets over that span. Davis in Week 14 against the Panthers saw 11 rushes, his most since Week 5. Patterson, among the most important waiver adds of 2021, is still a low-end RB despite his reduced pass-catching role. 

RELATED: 

Mike Davis

SOURCE: AJC.com 

Dec 17, 2021, 9:20 AM ET

Going to start James Robinson over Patterson based on the usage both are expected to get this week. 

Great move. I played him and he has his lowest output of his season at the worst time.

Got stopped at the goaline a couple of times and had a TD call reversed. 

Really too bad that they couldn't use him like they were in the second quarter of the season. I watched CPatt try to take carries in Chicago, and despite his success this particular year, he's not a natural, grind-it-between the tackles guy. He's a little better in space, in motion. Big dude that can take the hits, sure, but he's at his best in space (who isn't, really?) as a house threat whenever he touches it. 

That's not too much of a knock on him; I think if he was a natural between-the-tackles guy, they would have done that with him a long time ago. The Pats are pretty innovative about stuff like that (see: Brandon Bolden, another ageless wonder, this year). 

Going to start James Robinson over Patterson based on the usage both are expected to get this week. 
Too bad I didn't follow the reasoning and gut feel with Robinson yesterday. Dude sat my bench while Najee and Mixon went essentially nowhere. Good job if you started him. 

13 targets yesterday 🥴🥴 Why is he on a ‘pitch count’ or whatever? He’s like a 10 year and they were fighting for the playoffs? Weird coach. 

Got a bit screwed IMO getting the early TD taken away.  First play of it looked like a clear TD.  Was happy about that for 2 leagues.  Came back and it was off the board.

Hurts...

Maybe the workload is taking a toll on him at this late stage of the season - not sure.

It’s by far the most work he’s ever had.

They're not being as creative in getting him the ball in space. He's getting straight off tackle or dive type runs lots of the time. I do see him get lined up wide but Ryan rarely even glances at him. I'm worried about his production next week too. 

And he is not getting receptions and targets any where close to before. He was great when he was moved around and a “hybrid”, both a strong RB and WR. Now he looks more just like ….. an average, at best, running back.

And he is not getting receptions and targets any where close to before. He was great when he was moved around and a “hybrid”, both a strong RB and WR. Now he looks more just like ….. an average, at best, running back.
I think this is the biggest difference in his performances.  The last couple weeks he has had 2 targets each week.  When he was excelling he was getting 6/7 targets.  I think this is why he has fizzled.  

I think this is the biggest difference in his performances.  The last couple weeks he has had 2 targets each week.  When he was excelling he was getting 6/7 targets.  I think this is why he has fizzled.  
I’m amazed that the FBG experts have not picked up on this when it comes to their weekly rankings. The last two weeks he’s been ranked as a top 6 RB in PPR leagues on this site despite the coaching staff admitting that they intend on limiting his touches. Thankfully I have learned to not rely on the rankings for my lineup decisions. Only took me 15 years 🤪

I’m amazed that the FBG experts have not picked up on this when it comes to their weekly rankings. The last two weeks he’s been ranked as a top 6 RB in PPR leagues on this site despite the coaching staff admitting that they intend on limiting his touches. Thankfully I have learned to not rely on the rankings for my lineup decisions. Only took me 15 years 🤪
In fairness to FBG, pretty much every other site has done the same. I've been trying to figure out what Arthur has been doing with him for a month, and can't come up with a valid reason why they're not feeding him the same as early season, but just like @Dacomishsaid, I think there's a nervousness around benching him, then seeing him go off. No way he sniffs my starting lineup after not completely gashing DET. He was my favorite WW pick-up, but I'm done.

In fairness to FBG, pretty much every other site has done the same. I've been trying to figure out what Arthur has been doing with him for a month, and can't come up with a valid reason why they're not feeding him the same as early season, but just like @Dacomishsaid, I think there's a nervousness around benching him, then seeing him go off. No way he sniffs my starting lineup after not completely gashing DET. He was my favorite WW pick-up, but I'm done.
I hear what you are saying, but the information about the coaches limiting his touches late in the season was widely known and readily available. When I am aware of that information I would expect that the people that are being paid for their projections to put that information to use. 

There is a difference in limiting touches and completely changing the way you are actually using him.  If I were to limit touches it would be the type of touches that earn him the most physical contact (between the tackles) and would get him his touches in space (pass patterns).  

In the first 8 games he had a total of 73 rushes and 47 targets.   That averages out to 9 and 6 for 15 attempts a game.  Since then over the last 6 games he had 67 rushes and 19 targets leading to 11 carries and 3 targets per game.  The touches have basically stayed the same but shifted from targets to rushes.  I think that is a bad decision on how to best use Patterson.  This is the issue, IMO.

It's gonna be a tough call for me this week. The ability to start him at WR has really helped me, but now I may have to sit him for Hollywood (good floor, but not as explosive lately) or OBJ (fairly TD dependent with the Rams so far).

Like I said before I just can't sit him, But to be fair my other options don't exactly tingle the fun part of my brain: Barkley (just no), Conner (injury issues and Edmonds healthy), J.Jackson (with Ekeler back not the stud needed)....

Like I said before I just can't sit him, But to be fair my other options don't exactly tingle the fun part of my brain: Barkley (just no), Conner (injury issues and Edmonds healthy), J.Jackson (with Ekeler back not the stud needed)....
I didn’t sit him either. What a mistake.

And to see Davis out score him hurt even more.

What happened to this guy!?

I have never seen such a steady, quick decline of a player in a season who had such a great start and was considered a stud.

4 carry’s for 11 yards and 1 catch for 1 yard.

I didn’t see the game, did he get hurt?
I don’t think he had a touch in the 2nd half.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to this guy!?
I'm interested in this as well. Haven't heard about an injury, just seems like a concerted effort to not involve him much anymore? Maybe he was wearing down as this is the most touches he's ever gotten? Seems like a huge fall from grace. 

I'm interested in this as well. Haven't heard about an injury, just seems like a concerted effort to not involve him much anymore? Maybe he was wearing down as this is the most touches he's ever gotten? Seems like a huge fall from grace. 
That would be my guess - plus I think he did get nicked up a few weeks back and that may have contributed.

AtlantaFalcons.com's Kris Rhim said Cordarrelle Patterson "has been campaigning relentlessly for the Falcons" to re-sign him this offseason. 

Patterson, the Falcons' best offensive weapon in 2021, has taken photos with Atlanta fans asking the team to bring him back in 2022. He even made custom cleats urging Falcons owner Arthur Blank to "cut the check" and re-sign him. Asked about Patterson's campaign to return to Atlanta next season, Falcons general manager Terry Fontenot said, "I don't really notice it, man." Patterson, who will be 31 by the start of next season, had a career high 618 rushing yards and six rushing scores in 2021 to go along with 52 receptions on 69 targets for 549 yards and five scores. His usage as a between-the-tackles banger was curious and often frustrating for fantasy purposes, but a return to Atlanta would be excellent for C-Patt's fantasy value in an offense largely devoid of playmakers. 

SOURCE: AtlantaFalcons.com 

Feb 4, 2022, 10:13 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread