What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Saquon Barkley, PHI (1 Viewer)

I'd probably rule the 9ers out now honestly, but who cares - he was never going there anyway. He's still an absolute lock in the top 5. Denver would love to have him. Cleveland would be stupid to pass on him TWICE. And most of all, the Colts should flat take him at 3. No questions. 
Colts should flat out trade back and start to build an actual team though.

ok so Hyde to the Browns, JStew to the Giants, Crowell to the Jets - Where is Barkley going to land now?? Could it be Denver, Colts, TB? Could he drop to Oak or SF??
Browns also traded for Landry who's bread and butter is the underneath stuff, they have signed Hyde and are rumored to be working on an extension with Duke. Not looking like a good destination for Barkley for fantasy.

Giants signing Stewart means little like others have said, biggest issue is they got poached on Norwell and have done nothing else so far to address their putrid O'line. They have been linked to Solder but that seems like a pipe dream with the other teams out there that can easily outbid them. Edit: Looks like they are getting Solder per Rappoport. Huge get for them and surprising considering their cap situation. Barkley to the Giants most likely now IMO.

I think the Colts are probably the best destination of the top pick destinations though, if a geriatric Gore can put up 1K combined yards with no Andrew Luck, imagine what Barkley could do if Luck comes back. Denver wouldn't be bad either, although they have O'line problems of their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Barkley goes to Cleveland, NYG, or the Jets at this point, it has to cause a drop in his fantasy value, at least as far as his rookie production/ADP goes. He'll no longer be the stud rookie stepping into a big workload (would have been the case in all 3, before the FA signings), for a good offense (CLE should have a solid O now, and if NYG gets their O-line together, they could be, too).

Bayhawks said:
If Barkley goes to Cleveland, NYG, or the Jets at this point, it has to cause a drop in his fantasy value, at least as far as his rookie production/ADP goes. He'll no longer be the stud rookie stepping into a big workload (would have been the case in all 3, before the FA signings), for a good offense (CLE should have a solid O now, and if NYG gets their O-line together, they could be, too).
Not necessarily, Chester Taylor had a good year before Peterson got to the Vikings. Peterson came in and  was so good and so much of a stud that it sent Taylor  to the bench. If Barkely is as good as we all think he is, he will send the Crowell's, Stewart's and Hyde's to the bench. 

I'd probably rule the 9ers out now honestly, but who cares - he was never going there anyway. He's still an absolute lock in the top 5. Denver would love to have him. Cleveland would be stupid to pass on him TWICE. And most of all, the Colts should flat take him at 3. No questions. 
They need more help on the edge and the RB class is deep this year.  I'd prefer them to go B. Chubb at 3 and with the 2nd round early pick target the remaining RB.  Your probably looking at Guice, N. Chubb, Ronald Jones, Sony.  I think N. Chubb would fit well in the offense that already has Mack as the 3rd down role.  Get N. Chubb as the 1st/2nd/goaline runner makes a lot more sense to me than burning the 3rd pick on a RB.  

And yes, that is a lot of Chubb in one draft. 

Former Colts GM Bill Polian said that if he were the Cleveland Browns, he would draft Penn State RB Saquon Barkley with the first overall selection next month.

Polian made waves earlier this evaluating season with his suggestion that Lamar Jackson was too short to play quarterback in the NFL and needed to shift to receiver. His Barkley take is much less hot than that one -- which we completely disagreed with -- as we have seen multiple mocks which have the Browns taking the Penn State stud with the first pick. It certainly helps Barkley's chances now that Tyrod Taylor is in the Cleveland fold, though we're not ruling out the hapless squad taking a quarterback at No. 1 if they've fallen in love with a top signal-caller in the class. Should they do that, of course, they may well be extinguishing an opportunity to pick Barkley. We have some doubts that he'd still be sitting around at No. 4 should the Browns pass on him up front.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter 

Mar 14 - 5:08 PM

My thinking too, but who?  Who is needy enough to make a move?  They'd have to be close to contending with a hole at RB. 
Why would they have to be close to contending? If he's really the best prospect in years, there's only a few teams who should be passing on him anyway.

Seems like there's no way he'd fall past Tampa at 7 with Martin gone and just Barber & Quizz on the roster.

If the NYG, Colts & Denver all pass in some way either outright or by trading down, then you have teams in the teens like Oak, Mia, Wash, GB, Balt, Sea, Det that could use him and could possibly trade up for him.

This is the quote that led to the title of that article.

"Nobody is ruled out," the source said of the way the Browns view the draft board.

Gimme a friggin' break.
That quote is simply smoke to keep the value of picks #1 and #4 as high as possible in the event a team wants to jump. Given that they have invested in Hyde, coupled with the myriad of needs on a 0-16 squad, there is little to no shot they take Barkley. 

Why would they have to be close to contending? If he's really the best prospect in years, there's only a few teams who should be passing on him anyway.
Teams don't usually identify & move up to draft someone unless they expect them to "put them over the top", with the exception of QB, IMO.  It's rare that anyone makes a significant move for a player "just because we really like him" where there is no glaring need or expectation of significant results, like playoffs or superbowl.

Is it possible that the real NFL GMs don't value Barkley as highly as all of us brilliant fantasy owners do?  After an very active FA and trading offseason, this is shaping up to be a very interesting draft...

Is it possible that the real NFL GMs don't value Barkley as highly as all of us brilliant fantasy owners do?  After an very active FA and trading offseason, this is shaping up to be a very interesting draft...
I don't think so.  Barkley compares favorably to Elliot and Fournette and they were both top 5 picks.  The biggest difference being the number of franchise type QBs in this draft.  I'm certain NFL GMs are in love with Barkley's athleticism but we shall see.  What a crazy offseason so far.

I don't see why you guys think that Hydes contract is that much. Browns had/have the cap room and if you don't remember the Vikings just did a similar thing last year. Gave Murray a similar 3 year 15 million deal and then ended up landing/stealing cook in the second. If Barkley falls to 4 I could easily see the browns taking him yet. Only way I don't is if they get a very good offer to move down some or Bradley Chubb is available

I’m just assuming now tha Barkley is a Giant unless someone trades to 1.1 to get him. What do you all think if the Giants as a landing spot?

I don't see why you guys think that Hydes contract is that much. Browns had/have the cap room and if you don't remember the Vikings just did a similar thing last year. Gave Murray a similar 3 year 15 million deal and then ended up landing/stealing cook in the second. If Barkley falls to 4 I could easily see the browns taking him yet. Only way I don't is if they get a very good offer to move down some or Bradley Chubb is available
Yeah, that's absolute pennies in this day and age. I think the Browns snap him at 4 if the Giants and Colts both pass. 

I’m just assuming now tha Barkley is a Giant unless someone trades to 1.1 to get him. What do you all think if the Giants as a landing spot?
like it better now that they signed Solder, still would like to see some more improvements to the line but I'd say it is a decent spot, with OBJ, Engram, Shepard he'll never really see 8 in the box. It is better than Cleveland or the Colts IMO.

I think that makes a lot of sense. They want to win now and really despite having the second worst record last year, could be playoff bound with Barkley, a healthy OBJ (recent stuff aside), Engram, Shep, trying to improve their defense, etc. 

Giants, colts, broncos or bucs are all fine spots for FF. I'd prefer any over Cleveland.

I don't think Cleveland would be a terrible spot, would get a bunch of carries plus while they may use duke a little in the passing game Barkley is as good or better then him so he will get his in catches too.

I do agree Giants would give him the best chance to score the most points this year tho.

im not a huge fan of him going to Indy. I get Gore had a decent year so Barkley should be able to do very well but with Luck still having question marks I just don't think that team is a good spot. He probably would be involved the most as a pass catcher in Indy tho

I don't think Cleveland would be a terrible spot, would get a bunch of carries plus while they may use duke a little in the passing game Barkley is as good or better then him so he will get his in catches too.

I do agree Giants would give him the best chance to score the most points this year tho.

im not a huge fan of him going to Indy. I get Gore had a decent year so Barkley should be able to do very well but with Luck still having question marks I just don't think that team is a good spot. He probably would be involved the most as a pass catcher in Indy tho
Cleveland would be a terrible spot. For Carlos Hyde and Duke Johnson...

-OZ- said:
I think that makes a lot of sense. They want to win now and really despite having the second worst record last year, could be playoff bound with Barkley, a healthy OBJ (recent stuff aside), Engram, Shep, trying to improve their defense, etc. 

Giants, colts, broncos or bucs are all fine spots for FF. I'd prefer any over Cleveland.
They better improve that OL & D some more if they wanna win it all.

pantherclub said:
That rarely happens in the league and never happens in Cleveland. 
With Taylor in place, who is a decent starter it allows them too. In the cases last year you had trubisky behind Glennon and Watson behind Savage. Taylor is 100x better then both of those guys so Cleveland will get to sit Darnold "atleast that's who I expect them to take" for a year.

With Taylor in place, who is a decent starter it allows them too. In the cases last year you had trubisky behind Glennon and Watson behind Savage. Taylor is 100x better then both of those guys so Cleveland will get to sit Darnold "atleast that's who I expect them to take" for a year.
I would bet anything that we see Clevelands rookie starting this season 

Mahomes behind Smith

Wentz behind Bradford (then traded after)

still fairly common although not with 1.1

Some team is going to get really lucky as the cavalcade of mediocre QBs pollute the top of the draft board.

Not one of these QBs- Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield, and Jackson will be elite. Barkley is going to dominate.
Just based on sheer volume of qbs I would bet at least 1 would be elite.

I still think Barkley goes top 3.  He has the highest ceiling of any RB prospect.... probably since AP who went 4th overall, iirc.  He's got a higher ceiling than Fournette who also went 4th overall.  I just can't see talent like that sliding much farther than 3. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the QBs but seems like the consensus is that this is a mediocre class?

I still think Barkley goes top 3.  He has the highest ceiling of any RB prospect.... probably since AP who went 4th overall, iirc.  He's got a higher ceiling than Fournette who also went 4th overall.  I just can't see talent like that sliding much farther than 3. I honestly haven't paid much attention to the QBs but seems like the consensus is that this is a mediocre class?
The QBs seem mediocre to me as well but this is a QB driven league and plenty of teams are desperate.  One of those rookie QBs will be great so teams are rolling the dice.  Barkley should go top 3 but some lucky team is going to get a gift in the 4-6 range. 

Peterson went 7th, and only one QB in front of him (Jamarcus :yucky: .) Mostly duds but a couple of great players were drafted ahead of him like Joe Thomas (although I guess we could argue if Calvin was a better pick considering we know now that he retired early.) Peterson did have injury concerns that hurt his production in college his last two years (his ankle and collarbone IIRC) that Barkley does not.

I'm no scout and make to claim to be an expert. My completely speculative opinion, based on nothing other than watching college and pro games, is that none of the 2018 QBs look special. I like Rosen the best of the group in terms of pure ability but have no idea as to whether or not that translates. 

Darnold looks like a mediocre starter to me, Mayfield a below average NFL starter, and Allen is a total project. Beware of QBs that are throwers and not passers. Allen looks like a thrower. Could care less if he can throw the ball 90 yards. His college completion percentage is a red flag to me.

I'm no scout and make to claim to be an expert. My completely speculative opinion, based on nothing other than watching college and pro games, is that none of the 2018 QBs look special. I like Rosen the best of the group in terms of pure ability but have no idea as to whether or not that translates. 
I think it's an really strong QB class myself and  have been saying on these boards since January that 4 QB's would go in top 6 of the draft and that Colts would never be the team making their pick at 3. Because QB.

Special is not really the criteria either.  Cousins is highest paid QB in the game. Bradford just got $20M, Keenum $18M. Alex Smith a big extension plus they gave up a player. Teams are paying a premium for QB's who no one is confusing with special. Bell's still the only RB getting over $10M a year on average. Special RB's don't even equate to average or or less than average QB's in a general value sense, at least for those teams in need of a QB.

Peterson went 7th, and only one QB in front of him (Jamarcus :yucky: .) Mostly duds but a couple of great players were drafted ahead of him like Joe Thomas (although I guess we could argue if Calvin was a better pick considering we know now that he retired early.) Peterson did have injury concerns that hurt his production in college his last two years (his ankle and collarbone IIRC) that Barkley does not.
I had to double check AP going 7th overall. Good post. 

I think it's an really strong QB class myself and  have been saying on these boards since January that 4 QB's would go in top 6 of the draft and that Colts would never be the team making their pick at 3. Because QB.

Special is not really the criteria either.  Cousins is highest paid QB in the game. Bradford just got $20M, Keenum $18M. Alex Smith a big extension plus they gave up a player. Teams are paying a premium for QB's who no one is confusing with special. Bell's still the only RB getting over $10M a year on average. Special RB's don't even equate to average or or less than average QB's in a general value sense, at least for those teams in need of a QB.
I agree.  It's funny: Every QB prospect since Luck has been ripped apart.  Before Luck...maybe Eli? 

I'm not talking about the marketplace and financial value- on that point I agree with you entirely. There are an abundance of overpaid QBs; Bradford must have been born lucky; never has such an undeserving player made so much money in the NFL. Keenum is a replacement level QB who had a great season and parlayed this success to a fiscal windfall. Alex Smith is the epitome of mediocrity. All these guys illustrate the value of the quarterback position- if you show even a hint of ability, even if interspersed with significant injuries and/or periods of mediocre play, you will be rewarded richly. 

Thus, the draft process will dictate that QBs will be overdrafted consistently.

When I speak of being "special" in this context, I'm talking about playing and performing at a high level. My completely speculative opinion is that none of these QBs will be in the top quartile of NFL QBs. I very well could be wrong but think this group will go down in history as being remarkably overrated.

I think Rosen has a chance to become a top 15 QB, Darnold maybe top 20. The rest look like journeymen types to me.

I think this is probably the best QB class of the last decade. 5 first round worthy guys in my opinion, and another I'm not a fan of, who some think could be the 1st guy drafted(Allen)

I think Rosen has a chance to become a top 15 QB, Darnold maybe top 20. The rest look like journeymen types to me.
Different strokes I guess. I see 3 future Pro Bowl guys. 2 others that could be top-20 guys, and another that could be great or flop. As well as a couple sleepers in the middle rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread