What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (1 Viewer)

Matt Speeda. Can't wait for this year for him to finally showcase his skills. If they give him the Ekeler role in this offense, watch out! 

Speed kills, baby. Remembering that touchdown against Cleveland. Irwin Shaw never had an eighty yard run that compelling. (Just don't go datin' women that like communists after you're done with football, Matt.) 

Breida even gave a wave at 22. Movin', he gets the edge and takes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUP4tz0lu54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwPB_Gy057g (with sound)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even your juke got juked

This is why he's led the league in Yards Before Contact. It wasn't just the O-line, though that has a lot to do with it. He, McCaffrey, and one other come up large over the years in Yards Before Contact. 

Matt Speeda. Can't wait for this year for him to finally showcase his skills. If they give him the Ekeler role in this offense, watch out! 

Speed kills, baby. Remembering that touchdown against Cleveland. Irwin Shaw never had an eighty yard run that compelling. (Just don't go datin' women that like communists after you're done with football, Matt.) 

Breida even gave a wave at 22. Movin', he gets the edge and takes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUP4tz0lu54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwPB_Gy057g (with sound)
He recently bought a Lamborghini in Miami. He likes speed. It's too early to know how good he'll be but in one report from training camp, it's clear they want to involve him in the passing game. The oline should be improved with the addition of rookies starting at LT and RG. As long as Fitzpatrick is the starter, the offense should be ok. With Tua, I'm not sure yet.

He recently bought a Lamborghini in Miami. He likes speed. It's too early to know how good he'll be but in one report from training camp, it's clear they want to involve him in the passing game. The oline should be improved with the addition of rookies starting at LT and RG. As long as Fitzpatrick is the starter, the offense should be ok. With Tua, I'm not sure yet.
Yeah, I write adoring stuff, but he should be a bonus on your roster, not the main course. He's a dart throw, the extra whip on a sundae. (His whip on a Sunday is serious, I guess.)

Matt Breida rushed five times for 22 yards in the Dolphins' Week 1 loss to the Patriots.

Breida simply didn't have the No. 2 job in Miami. Jordan Howard started the game and received the goal-line touchdown, while Myles Gaskin and even Patrick Laird entered the game before Breida. There's no reason to hold onto Breida in 10-team fantasy leagues with the Dolphins' offense looking horrendous and his individual role diminished. Gaskin played more snaps and handled more touches (13) than Breida in Week 1.

- Rotoworld
The dude who doesn't even have a thread on this site got more run than Breida. Dolphins snowed us.

This is not about @Faust in the slightest, but I saw that earlier today and thought it was an absurd tweet. I’ve linked the article below. Matt Breida was never even mentioned by name.

https://t.co/6NnpNGzoeU

Also, wouldn’t the coaches control how much he plays?
They always say that when they've gotten beat and have gone off game script. Or they're sending a message to Breida. Either way, his lack of touches on Sunday was extremely disappointing. I was looking forward to him playing a 1B to a 1A and instead he's not even second but third in line. 

At this point, Breida is like Tevin Coleman: he has a few games a year where he gets a lot of touches, but then tons of games with limited touches that make you wonder why he didn't get more.  Probably the way it will always be with both.

I'd like to say the cream will rise to the top but with recent Dolphin history it seems like they prefer to leave their best backs on the bench for some reason.

That makes more sense. I still find these comments humorous though. “We want to play Player X more ... if only we controlled the playing time!”

It's the phins, it will be a cluster.....

I've always liked Breida, but he's a speed guy who gets dinged up.....not sure how the Sandman will hold up, but he did in college with a heavy workload.  He's not very big though, obviously

Maybe Breida just isn't that good other than the speed he brings. The Shanahan/SF system can bring the best out of many RBs (Mostert may be another one of them).

Matt Breida rushed three times for four yards in the Dolphins' Week 3 win over the Jaguars. 

Breida was not targeted in the passing game. He also had a six-yard gain called back by holding. With Myles Gaskin emerging to handle 27 touches this evening, it is probably time to stop bothering with the peripheral pieces of Breida and Jordan Howard in the Dolphins' underwhelming backfield. 

Sep 25, 2020, 12:20 AM ET

Matt Brieda didn't practice Wednesday.

It's not clear when Breida was injured. He played eight snaps behind Myles Gaskin (knee) last week. The Dolphins had been talking up Breida for an expanded role with Gaskin on IR. We should know more when Miami updates their injury report.   

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Nov 4, 2020, 11:58 AM ET

I don't see much of a point in picking up Breida anyway. Will probably be an ugly timeshare in Miami now, with a rookie QB, and a lot of uncertainty. 

Broncobiv said:
I don't see much of a point in picking up Breida anyway. Will probably be an ugly timeshare in Miami now, with a rookie QB, and a lot of uncertainty. 
I know most are picking him up due to byes and injuries. Not expecting a 150 yard, 2 TD game or a year long starter. Worse guys to pick up in case it is not as big of a timeshare as some expect. But of course this injury complicates things for sure.

I picked him up after losing Gaskin with mixon hurt/bye, Jamaal Williams on the Covid list, and yesterday packers were pessimistic about Aaron Jones. Looks like I may have to roll Wilkins..

Dolphins coach Brian Flores ominously said Matt Breida (hamstring) has a "chance" for Week 9 against the Cardinals.

It sounds like the Dolphins are preparing for life without both Myles Gaskin (knee, IR) and Breida on Sunday. Jordan Howard is the logical fallback option, but Flores did add that Patrick Laird and Salvon Ahmed would be involved, too. Howard should still be treated as the best option among the remaining three against Arizona with Laird likely getting work on passing downs.

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Nov 5, 2020, 8:53 AM ET

Matt Breida (hamstring) won't play in Week 9 against the Cardinals.

Breida's absence leaves Jordan Howard, Patrick Laird (who's dealing with an ankle injury) and rookie Salvon Ahmed as Miami's only available running backs. (Reminder DeAndre Washington can't be activated until Week 10.) For what it's worth, ESPN's Cameron Wolfe suggests that Howard will start and play on early downs with Laird sprinkling in as the team's receiving back. Ahmed is a true unknown since he has yet to be active for any game. Fantasy players should avoid this situation altogether.

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Nov 6, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

Matt Breida (hamstring) practiced on a limited basis on Wednesday.

Breida missed Week 9 with the same injury, leading to Jordan Howard, Patrick Laird and rookie Salvon Ahmed splitting the backfield workload. Howard certainly will continue to command the short-yardage and goal-line work, but it is fair to claim that Breida is the most talented back of the bunch.

Nov 11, 2020, 7:05 PM ET

Matt Breida (hamstring) is questionable for Week 10 against the Chargers.

Breida was limited for every practice throughout the week and should be considered a gameday call. With DeAndre Washington also potentially active against Los Angeles, this backfield won't sort itself out until the Dolphins release its inactives list. It's possible Jordan Howard, Salvon Ahmed, Washington, and Brieda are all available for fantasy players to play a guessing game on Sunday.

SOURCE: Los Angeles Chargers on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 3:43 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Matt Breida (hamstring) is "not expected to play" Week 10 against the Chargers.

We can assume he's out despite the questionable tag. The Miami backfield has more questions than answers still. It's possible that DeAndre Washington joins Jordan Howard, Salvon Ahmad, and Patrick Laird. With the Dolphins only projected for a forgettable 24.75 points this week, it's a backfield to avoid if possible. Breida could return the following week but wouldn't be a recommended play in his first game back from injury.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 15, 2020, 12:09 AM ET

Matt Breida (hamstring) is inactive for Week 10 against the Chargers.

Breida was expected to miss this week but Jordan Howard is a surprise healthy scratch. It means Salvon Ahmed will lead the Dolphins' backfield, with DeAndre Washington making his debut after coming over at the trade deadline. Also inactive for Miami are Lynn Bowden, Chandler Cox and Adam Pankey.

Nov 15, 2020, 2:44 PM ET

Here we go.  If Breida is ever going to accomplish anything in Miami, it is going to have to be this week.  He has a good matchup.  Is anybody desperate enough to start him?

Here we go.  If Breida is ever going to accomplish anything in Miami, it is going to have to be this week.  He has a good matchup.  Is anybody desperate enough to start him?
I might. I’ve never had a team with more injuries in all my years of FF.  With my luck this year Brenda will get carted off the field in the first quarter if I start him. 

Matt Breida rushed eight times for 36 yards and caught both of his targets for 17 yards in Week 12 against the Jets.

Breida got the start with Salvon Ahmed and Myles Gaskin sidelined. He averaged 4.5 YPC, but worked in a timeshare with DeAndre Washington, and played sparingly after a second-half fumble. With Miami likely to get one of  Ahmed or Gaskin back in Week 13, Breida will likely go back to a low volume change-up role.

- Rotoworld

The Athletic's Josh Tolentino believes impending free agent Matt Breida won't re-sign with the Dolphins.

Same goes for impending UFA DeAndre Washington, who totaled 28 carries in a limited role last year. The Dolphins acquired Breida in exchange for a fifth-round pick in 2020 but a logjam in the backfield, not to mention multiple injuries including an extended absence on the team's COVID list mid-season, caused him to plummet down the depth chart within the first month. Breida has historically been hampered with injuries throughout his career but remains an explosive asset who could easily be useful as a contributing rotational piece with the right team. His eventual destination will ultimately decide his Average Draft Position in offseason Best-Ball leagues.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 19, 2021, 1:56 PM ET

Bills signed RB Matt Breida, formerly of the Dolphins, to a one-year contract. 

Breida, whose star has dimmed considerably since his promising 2018, gives the Bills an experienced option for their No. 3 spot. T.J. Yeldon was allowed to walk in free agency. Breida had a disappointing 2020 in Miami, managing just 68 touches for a backfield that was in dire need of healthy runners. Breida simply didn't impress the coaching staff. Breida will be regarded as a product of Kyle Shanahan's running back-friendly system until he proves otherwise. 2021 will be his age-26 campaign. He is not going to push Devin Singletary or Zack Moss for work. 

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 25, 2021, 4:01 PM ET

ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques reports RB Matt Breida could be one of the team's training camp cuts.

Breida emerged as an undrafted free agent in 2017 with the 49ers. He went on average 5.0 yards per carry across three seasons with the 49ers. Injuries limited his availability however, and he was shipped to the Dolphins for a 5th round pick in 2020. Breida quickly fell to the back of the Miami RB rotation, and managed just 68 touches for the season. With RB Antonio Williams showing well in Week 17 last year, Breida will likely need to earn his way onto the roster through special teams.

RELATED: 

Antonio Williams

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jul 7, 2021, 9:52 AM ET

Jeremy White

@JeremyWGR

Sean McDermott says “Yes” when Howard asks if Matt Breida has earned more touches in this offense.

9:39 AM · Nov 24, 2021·TweetDeck

So how much is being in a timeshare backfield in Buffalo really worth?

12 opportunities? Moss averaged about 10, Singletary just under 12 I think.

Does he maintain 6+ YPC on increased volume?

If Singletary goes down Moss probably steps right in and the opportunity share stays constant, right?

I like him but not sure about his real value.

So how much is being in a timeshare backfield in Buffalo really worth?

12 opportunities? Moss averaged about 10, Singletary just under 12 I think.

Does he maintain 6+ YPC on increased volume?

If Singletary goes down Moss probably steps right in and the opportunity share stays constant, right?

I like him but not sure about his real value.
Fair points, although Moss (and Singletary, for that matter) has had chance after chance, and hasn’t taken hold of the job. If Breida pops tonight, there is a non-zero chance that it  mostly becomes his backfield.

Fair points, although Moss (and Singletary, for that matter) has had chance after chance, and hasn’t taken hold of the job. If Breida pops tonight, there is a non-zero chance that it  mostly becomes his backfield.
I don't think the job is up for taking, I think the job is what we have seen so far.

Singletary averages over 5 YPC and they never increased his share. He's not a dynamic receiver, Moss is much better so you would think Moss would slide into more of a 3rd down receiving role and maybe occasionally spell Singletary. But that never happened. They rotated and both did a little of everything.

I don't see that changing but who knows? :shrug: Breida has flashed in the past and stranger things have happened.

Certainly didn’t seem to show enough to be the primary RB despite the late TD, but have to think he’ll be part of the rotation going forward. Just a matter of whether Moss works his way back in and makes it a 3-man show. Breida could have some nice PPR value though.  

i started him last night at the very last minute.

I feel very lucky i got 13.50 points ,i had my doubts id get more than 5

Breida was the primary back in the time share until he blew a screen play then was in the dog house for a quarter and a half. The good news is they gave him another chance on a screen to the left and he housed it.

Breida was the primary back in the time share until he blew a screen play then was in the dog house for a quarter and a half. The good news is they gave him another chance on a screen to the left and he housed it.
Yeah, talk about tough love but I guess that’s the world of being an NFL RB who is trying to prove himself. Hopefully the screen pass he did execute on the score got him back in good graces.

Users who are viewing this thread