What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Khalil Herbert, CHI (1 Viewer)

After this game maybe Chicago can realize whose the better back.
Montgomery is a stud in his own right. Just a great all around RB that deserves to start at the NFL level. Problem is Herbert might be even better. Neither one will push the other to the bench, however.

Really excited to have this kid in both dynasties. Reminds me a lot of Aaron Jones. Both as player and his situation

I think people getting overly giddy need to calm themselves a bit.

Montgomery was great last week, and was thought of near unanimously as one of the best RB plays going into this week...which says probably more about the HOU run defense, so it shouldn't be surprising a seemingly equally talented RB had a solid game against them.

Right now Chicago is probably thinking to themselves "we have two very nice RBs", and there's zero reason to limit either from the gameplan.

Khalil Herbert rushed 20 times for 157 yards and two touchdowns in Chicago's Week 3 win over the Texans, adding two catches for 12 yards.

With David Montgomery (knee/ankle) sidelined for the majority of the game, Herbert took over and dominated carries in the red zone. The production was buttressed by a 52-yard scamper in the third quarter, but he didn't really need that to look good. If Montgomery is out for any period of time, Herbert should not be left on your waiver wire. The Bears simply are committed to the run in a way few other teams in the NFL are. They'll take on the Giants in Week 4.

- NBCSportsEDGE

As a Herbert owner I’m going to approach the Monty owner and try and see if i can swap some pieces. If a Monty owner is hurting and they are 1-2, 0-3 I think now is a good chance to lock down one of the best rushing offenses in the league. They can’t pass, every time Fields passes he looks like Uncle Rico…they have to run.

No excuse for Herbert “getting better looks today.” Came in off the bench and just dominated.

When has Monty put up 150 yards?

After this game maybe Chicago can realize whose the better back.
Montgomery is a stud in his own right. Just a great all around RB that deserves to start at the NFL level. Problem is Herbert might be even better. Neither one will push the other to the bench, however.
He's an average starting rb. He's averaged under 4 yards a carry 2/3 years.

As a Herbert owner I’m going to approach the Monty owner and try and see if i can swap some pieces. If a Monty owner is hurting and they are 1-2, 0-3 I think now is a good chance to lock down one of the best rushing offenses in the league. They can’t pass, every time Fields passes he looks like Uncle Rico…they have to run.
Good plan because I was thinking of doing the same. I own Monty and was going to try and get Herbert. There is a lot of value in having both. Just having one piece could be tough if Monty can play in a week or two. How much do you think you would want to get to give Herbert?

Good plan because I was thinking of doing the same. I own Monty and was going to try and get Herbert. There is a lot of value in having both. Just having one piece could be tough if Monty can play in a week or two. How much do you think you would want to get to give Herbert?
Hard to say, you have to know your league mates and what they need. So many variables…does the herbert owner have a ton of depth or will he plug Herbert into his lineup? If he’s dealing from strength you might get him cheaper if you can give a marginal increase somewhere else in his lineup. If he needs Herbert, you’ll have to overpay and prob not worth it. For me personally, I have Pollard, Taylor, Stevenson, Henderson, Herbert and Edmonds. I’m fine keeping him but I’d package him for an upgrade. I’m debating making offers to the Mcaffrey, Eckler owners…

I view him as a top 10ish rb with Monty out. RB as a position is about as bad as I can remember. The only consistency is inconsistency. If you can get a guy that is talented, in an offense that has no choice but to run and has no competition that‘s the definition of fantasy success.

An MoP laugh at me moment: I cut Herbert very close to kick off time yesterday with Monty getting so much press and hype, he was Top 10 on every site. End of my bench, I'd gotten Herbert thinking I was ahead of folks and I was...then I felt the need to try and beat the rush for Brian Robinson in Washington coming off a gun shot wound hopefully Week 5. I'm looking for a starter and I had one but cut him.

Injury and he goes bonkers for 150 yds and 2 TDs, they barely win but they would be fools to put Monty back in as the starter. Let them split time or carries, doubt Monty can keep up.

Laugh at my pain, still 3-0 in that league but lost out on the starter in Chicago...that could change but it feels like he took his chance and blew the door open.

4 of the next 5 weeks they have road games at the Giants, Vikings, Patriots and a likely Dak-QB Dallas Cowboys, that will look a lot different than the Texans.

Big opportunity for him moving forward, investors I'm sure are excited today.

An MoP laugh at me moment: I cut Herbert very close to kick off time yesterday with Monty getting so much press and hype, he was Top 10 on every site. End of my bench, I'd gotten Herbert thinking I was ahead of folks and I was...then I felt the need to try and beat the rush for Brian Robinson in Washington coming off a gun shot wound hopefully Week 5. I'm looking for a starter and I had one but cut him.

Injury and he goes bonkers for 150 yds and 2 TDs, they barely win but they would be fools to put Monty back in as the starter. Let them split time or carries, doubt Monty can keep up.

Laugh at my pain, still 3-0 in that league but lost out on the starter in Chicago...that could change but it feels like he took his chance and blew the door open.
Did the same thing to pick up Daniel Jones of all people, as a back up in case Herbert didn't play. Unreal.

I heard on a podcast today that Montgomery's injury is minor. That he might even play this week. Of course I am taking that as gospel since I have him.

I drafted him a lot.

I drafted him in the 12th round of a 12 team league, and was basically mocked by the guy who drafted Montgomery in the 4th :-)
Same here 12.8

Monty owner's team is not so great (0-3)-- he does have Justin Jefferson tho :ponder:
The problem with trading any of Monty or Herbert is that the value is all over the place. If Monty is out Herbert becomes a low end RB1. If Monty plays we could have a split backfield not knowing who to start in any given week. I would love to get Herbert to pair with Monty but I couldn't give up a player like Jefferson for a split backfield.

Have no idea why this guy wouldn't be the starter going forward. He's clearly much, much better than Montgomery.
Because NFL coaches don’t give a **** about pretend football and know a little more about what they are trying to do in there scheme and what the big picture is for their team than us amateur’s sitting on an couch.

He looked great yesterday vs a terrible run defense. They have two talented backs. They will play them both.

As a guy who had Herbert in the same tier as Najee and Etienne in the 2021 draft class, this was great to see, and if he can reasonably keep hitting these big runs, they might just roll with him as the starter next year with Montgomery a FA.

As a Bears fan, Montgomery isn't losing his job this year, he's simply too good at too many things. Herbert is a more explosive runner, no doubt, but Montgomery is much better in the passing game, both as a receiver and especially as a blocker. Montgomery is also a really good short yardage runner.

I can certainly see this becoming more of a Chubb/Hunt backfield, or perhaps more accurately think back to Taylor/MJD. But if Montgomery is out a few weeks, its perfectly reasonable to think Herbert will be a top-15 RB, even in tough matchups.

Weird to say this running game is truly elite production- bizarre since that is all the team can do effectively. Opposing defenses KNOW a run is coming, but they still can't stop it.

Is the bears o-line a bunch of maulers this year? It appears so.

Bears RB's are the only source of fantasy production on the team. Giddy up. They will run in any situation too.

Have no idea why this guy wouldn't be the starter going forward. He's clearly much, much better than Montgomery.
I don't know if he's a "better" RB than Montgomery. He just fits the current scheme the Bears are employing right now.

I'm a Bears fan. I like Montgomery. A lot actually. But I had hoped they'd trade him to get max value out of him while they could, knowing they had a diamond in the rough in Herbert.

I have both CHI RBs, in dyrnasty, need a WR, but cant split them up, or maybe I should, and just play either one of them when I need to, otherwise they sit the bench, although Herbert would probably crack the lineup more. I honestly have no idea what to do. :wall:

I have both CHI RBs, in dyrnasty, need a WR, but cant split them up, or maybe I should, and just play either one of them when I need to, otherwise they sit the bench, although Herbert would probably crack the lineup more. I honestly have no idea what to do. :wall:
Trade Monty before you can't.

Trade Monty before you can't.
I agree with this. The only way Monty can keep his value is if he isn't going to miss time and Herbert stays on the bench. After this past weekend I don't see how either one of those will come true.

This is a situation where you don’t want either until it’s cleared up. Do you really want another AJ Dillon/Aaron Jones thing? They’re now both unstartable.

Do we have any clarity on Montgomery?
Not severe. He's day-to-day.

Just like he was “day to day” before missing like 6 weeks last year? Coach was also very dodgy giving a “no comment” to the IR question possibility the other day.

This injury situation is clear as mud right now. Given we’re not going to hear anything concrete before waivers run, it’s a bit of a leap of faith situation.

Depending on the league size and format, I’m not sure this is true. The Bears are going to run the ball a ton because they can’t throw at all.

I suppose if you're in a sixteen-team league, you can start both. I haven't seen a true RBBC be able to be supported unless it's Chubb/Hunt, and that's actually the only example I can think of in recent memory where you weren't taking a chance at about six points or under if you started one guy and not the other.

I'm really just in here to say that when people think you can start one and/or flex the other on a good fantasy football team, you usually can't.

If you have a good team, the bad days kill you.

If you have a bad to mediocre team, then you probably can go the route of starting either and hoping.

Depending on the league size and format, I’m not sure this is true. The Bears are going to run the ball a ton because they can’t throw at all.

I haven't seen a true RBBC be able to be supported unless it's Chubb/Hunt, and that's actually the only example I can think of in recent memory where you weren't taking a chance at about six points or under if you started one guy and not the other.
The key phrase is "in recent memory." The NFL has become a passing league, which doesn't usually support two big producers at RB on the same team. But the 2022 Bears look to be a throwback to the '70s and '80s, an era where many teams had two big-producing RBs, with how little they are passing the ball.

Had an out of the blue offer of my 23 devy pick for him. Already a borderline playoff team so I think I sprained something in my rush to hit accept

Rostered him in all 5 of my leagues ( 3 dynasty leagues and 2 redraft). Due to some injuries in one short bench redraft, I dropped Herbert last week for a WR that I didn’t end up playing anyway and I am kicking myself over it. But I’m all 4 other leagues…giddy up!

4 of the next 5 weeks they have road games at the Giants, Vikings, Patriots and a likely Dak-QB Dallas Cowboys, that will look a lot different than the Texans.

MoP, I've been watching Khali every week and following the threads. I passed again last week when the news was high on Monty. Well, I got Herbert in a FAB bid without a whole lot of action. Seems the uncertainty about Monty and Herbert not ranked very high let him pass through in our league. I dropped Tampa Bay D. Now await either Swift or Godwin to be ruled out so I can pick up a defense this week. Herbert is solid even with a healthy Monty. Without Monty he's a low end RB #1 / solid RB #2 this week. As far as moving forward, who knows? Khali looks too good on a run first type offense.

Monty has a grinding style, similar to ex-bear Matt Forte. Herbert hits the hole hard, just a more dynamic player. Even with Monty, Herbert should get plenty of touches going forward in a run-first offense.

MoP, I've been watching Khali every week and following the threads. I passed again last week when the news was high on Monty. Well, I got Herbert in a FAB bid without a whole lot of action. Seems the uncertainty about Monty and Herbert not ranked very high let him pass through in our league. I dropped Tampa Bay D. Now await either Swift or Godwin to be ruled out so I can pick up a defense this week. Herbert is solid even with a healthy Monty. Without Monty he's a low end RB #1 / solid RB #2 this week. As far as moving forward, who knows? Khali looks too good on a run first type offense.
I believe @Ministry of Pain has been downgrading K. Herbert since the beginning of the season because he was under the impression that he had an injury history (he doesn't). In training camp, he was carted off the field but that appeared to be for precautionary measures (he was actively practicing the next day). Without the false injury history impression, KH has 4 things going for him in increasingly meaningful order:
(1) He played very well in relief of Monty in 2021
(2) He's played very well in relief of Monty in 2022 (thus far).
(3) Monty is dinged now & is a FA after this season.
(4) KH appears to excel in a wide-zone rushing attack, which the new regime is transitioning towards -- they want to see what this kid can do in their scheme.

please check the fantasy doctors on youtube re: Montgomery, invaluable resource for injuries.sports medicine doc in Miami.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEd-QkoUq2Y

he's saying from what he saw in the video of the injury, it's likely the dreaded H.A.S high ankle sprain and MCL sprain on the knee for Monty likely out 4 weeks if either is true. his words.

If either injury sticks, Herbert is a stud obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread