What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Conner, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Cardinals' James Conner: Dubbed day-to-day by coach

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Wednesday that Conner (ankle) is day-to-day, Darren Urban of the Cardinals' official site reports.

Conner underwent an MRI to address the severity of his ankle injury Tuesday, but it looks like the running back has at least avoided a major issue. That said, the Cardinals will likely wait to comment on Conner's availability for Week 15 until after evaluating him through a few practice sessions. Meanwhile, top wideout DeAndre Hopkins (leg) is set to receive a second opinion on his injury after having undergone an MRI. On a bright side for Arizona, Chase Edmonds (ankle) appears to be nearing a return from IR. LINK

James Conner (ankle) was not spotted in the portion of practice open to the media on Thursday. 

Back-to-back DNPs leading off practice this week make this a tough spot for Conner's managers, who have been living a blessed life all season. Conner's tough enough to play with a questionable label and Friday's practice will reveal a bit, but it's hard to see him as anything better than truly questionable at this moment. 

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Dec 16, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

Doesn't bode well.  Luckily for me I can sit him week one of the playoffs and had to choose between Taylor, Chubb, Montgomery and Conner.  The other 3 look healthy and have reasonable matchups.

Would you play him over Rhamondre?

I've been riding him all season.  And he's bailed me out all season.  But this looks like a trap. 

Would you play him over Rhamondre?

I've been riding him all season.  And he's bailed me out all season.  But this looks like a trap. 
Exact same decision for me. Really wish Pats game was on Sunday to have a better sense of if Conner/Chase will be active for Cards. 

Conner might be the most overrated RB in FF (due to his nice season). Edmonds is easily their best RB, but it really only matters what Kingsbury thinks. I suppose Conner could eek out another good season.

If I owned Conner, I'd definitely move him if I could get something decent. 

Trying to decide between Zeke and Conner for my flex. If Conner wasn't banged up and no Edmonds it would be an easy decision. Leaning Zeke atm though.

James Conner (heel) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice.

The heel injury is new, as it was the ankle that bothered Conner in practice last week before he eventually played through it against the Lions. Conner's snaps were way down with the return of Chase Edmonds. Conner is going to need to get in a practice Thursday ahead of Saturday's short-week date with the Colts.

Dec 22, 2021, 1:18 PM ET

James Conner (heel, questionable) is "confident" he will suit up against the Colts on Saturday. 

Injured players are always confident they will play right up until the second they don't, but it is notable nonetheless. Conner said it's an issue of pain management with his heel, and that there are no lingering issues with his ankle. With the Cardinals' season suddenly headed the wrong direction, they will undoubtedly lean toward having Conner go, but there's a chance it just won't be feasible based on how he feels in pre-game warmups. Conner is a real-deal game-time call. Chase Edmonds and Eno Benjamin will form a committee if Conner sits, with Edmonds probably getting enough work to be an RB2. 

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter 

Dec 23, 2021, 5:44 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said James Conner (heel) is considered day-to-day and will be a game-time decision for Week 17 against the Cowboys.

Kliff made the same comments about Rondale Moore, who is dealing with an ankle issue. He noted that both weren't expected to practice much on Wednedday. Conner wasn't seen in the open portion of practice so he's likely a DNP. He was initially expected to suit up in Week 16 but didn't make the necessary progress on his injury to get cleared. Given how close he was to playing, we expect him to take the field for Week 17. The Cardinals are underdogs to a surging Dallas defense, making it a difficult spot for Conner to return to. However, his role at the goal line was so immense that it's hard to fade him, even coming off the injury. If given the green light, Conner will enter Week 17 as an RB2.

SOURCE: Kevin Parrish on Twitter

Dec 29, 2021, 1:14 PM ET

James Conner (heel) did not practice on Thursday for the second consecutive day.

Contrary to earlier media reports, Conner officially did not practice on Thursday. This injury once seemed fairly benign and Conner even seemed likely to play last Saturday, but he's now missed every practice since it happened. He's going to be truly questionable against the Cowboys on Sunday. It would be reassuring if he actually practiced on Friday.  

Dec 30, 2021, 4:37 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports "there's optimism" that James Conner (heel) will play in Week 17 against the Cowboys.

Conner was held out of practice until Friday and was notably limited in that session. If he plays, it's likely that the Cardinals scale back his role. He will likely split the backfield with Chase Edmonds, who also figures to see the bulk of the snaps on passing downs. Conner will need to find the end zone to get the job done for fantasy managers. As an underdog to the Cowboys, he's a risky RB2 bet this week.

SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter

Jan 2, 2022, 9:04 AM ET

Cardinals re-signed RB James Conner to a three-year, $21 million contract.

The contract is worth up to $25.5 million and features $13.5 million fully guaranteed. Though the deal will place Conner somewhere around the top-10 mark among running backs by yearly salary, his contract makes sense for both sides. The Dolphins just signed Chase Edmonds away from Arizona and Conner is coming off a massive season. Conner also struggled with injuries and inefficient play before joining Arizona. In his first year with the Cardinals, he scored 18 touchdowns and went for 1,127 yards from scrimmage. Conner opened the year as a two-down banger but evolved into a workhorse after Edmonds went down. He perfectly fills Arizona's need at running back while staying with the team that brought his career storming back. 

SOURCE: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Mar 14, 2022, 12:21 PM ET

As an owner I'd want more than a 2nd to move him, as a buyer yes I'd probably NOT give up a 1st, although I think he's worth that now. 
I wouldn't pay a first - his numbers weren't actually very good if you take away the ridiculous amount of TDs. Now he should be in position to score a lot of TDs again in that offense but TDs can be a pretty volatile stat.

Will have to see who else the Cardinals bring in here. Unsustainable TD rate and all, but it says a good thing that they prioritized bringing him back.

Will have to see who else the Cardinals bring in here. Unsustainable TD rate and all, but it says a good thing that they prioritized bringing him back.
I am sure they will bring another quality RB but that contract says they like him a good amount.

Danny Tuccitto@IR_DannyT

*after* regressing Conner’s rush TD rate w/ ARI to the mean, it’s still 4.89%. On 200 projected carries or so, that’s 10 rush TDs.

Hayden Winks@HaydenWinks

James Conner was 7th in expected TDs based on his usage last year, so yes, he's a regression candidate. But his TD mean is still sick. "Regression" doesn't mean he goes from 18 TDs to 6 TDs.

>>> LINK

Danny Tuccitto@IR_DannyT

*after* regressing Conner’s rush TD rate w/ ARI to the mean, it’s still 4.89%. On 200 projected carries or so, that’s 10 rush TDs.

Hayden Winks@HaydenWinks

James Conner was 7th in expected TDs based on his usage last year, so yes, he's a regression candidate. But his TD mean is still sick. "Regression" doesn't mean he goes from 18 TDs to 6 TDs.

>>> LINK

Agree with this...anyone going into 2022 expecting 18 TDs is asking for trouble...that being said he should still remain an effective RB in that solid #2/high-end #3 area...it's all about having realistic expectations for a guy like Connor.

Agree on TDs, but yards, and especially catches, should be higher this year. Its unlikely any Cardinals RB takes as big a share as Edmonds did. 

In the (essentially) 6 games Edmonds was out, Conner was RB1, RB1, RB2, RB7, RB12, and RB17. 

Conner's main concern is his own health, as even last year he missed a couple games, but he's always been a very good RB. He's an ideal RB2 in my opinion, and RB1 season is well within reach even if in the likely event he does drop to 10-12 TDs. His catches could easily increase from 37 to close to 60. 

Sorry, but I just don't get this conclusion: "Conner stands as one of the riskiest early bets in fantasy ADP. To hit on his positioning, he needs to keep up his touchdown production and see a dramatic increase in passing game involvement. "

I think we all agree he's due for TD regression.  But that's already baked into his ADP.  He's being drafted as RB15.  If he keeps up the TD production, then he's a top 10 RB.  If he does that and see passing game involvement, he's possibly top 5.  But the conclusion states he needs to do both to be RB15???

I think we all agree he's due for TD regression.  But that's already baked into his ADP.  He's being drafted as RB15.  If he keeps up the TD production, then he's a top 10 RB.  If he does that and see passing game involvement, he's possibly top 5.  But the conclusion states he needs to do both to be RB15???

Based on his performance last year the TD's are not nearly enough to help support his value, not even close and that's if he had no regression. But on the flip side he could have have a massive TD dropoff and hold his value if his role in the passing game was as large as it was when Edmonds got hurt. That's the concern with him, that his passing game role won't be nearly that size.

Before Edmonds got hurt last year, weeks 1-8, James Connor was not that great in fantasy. He was RB30 in PPR PPG.

He was on actually on a higher TD pace for rushing TD's during those first 8 games then how he finished the season. Averaged 1.25 Td's per game those first 8 games to only 1 TD per game rushing when he actually took off but he also gave you 3 TD's in the passing game during the stretch took off and was winning leagues for people.

The major difference between Conner being a middling RB3 and league winner was not the TD's and as we can see here the TD's alone was not making him a top 15 RB. What led to him being a top RB was the massive difference in his passing game role he got when Edmonds went out. He want from averaging about one measly PPG in receiving production to 12, a solid 11 point PPG swing-almost what he was averaging in total before Edmonds got hurt.

Conner basically had two seasons, pre and post Edmonds. Looking at this as PPR

8 games with Edmonds: RB30 in PPG, 11.52 PPG, 4.2 PPG for rushing yardage, 1.05 PPG for catches/receptions/receiving TD's, 7.5 PPG for  rushing TD's.

So pre-Edmonds getting hurt 65% of his fantasy production was from rushing TD's.  TD's were not making him a top 15 RB, they were saving him from being almost totally useless.

Post Edmonds injury:

7 games, RB2 in PPG, 23.64 PPG, 5.62 PPG for rushing yardage, 12.01 PPG for catches/recieving yardage and TD's and 6 PPG for rushing TD's.

So even when Edmonds got hurt and he took off he saw very small gain in PPG for rushing, slight dip in PPG for rushing TD's but again the difference was this involvement in the passing game.

I hadn't paid much attention to Conner last year...knew he had a big time stretch where the ARI offense seemed to run thru him.  But looking closer, that coincided when injuries starting tearing apart that offense; Murray/DHop/Edmonds in particular.  ARI really had no other option.

And then when you look at that YPC...just seems like Conner is most ripe for becoming a full-fledged RBBC guy with a solid chance for TD regressions.  I'm higher on Eno Benjamin than most, but I wouldn't touch Conner.

Based on his performance last year the TD's are not nearly enough to help support his value, not even close and that's if he had no regression. But on the flip side he could have have a massive TD dropoff and hold his value if his role in the passing game was as large as it was when Edmonds got hurt. That's the concern with him, that his passing game role won't be nearly that size.

Before Edmonds got hurt last year, weeks 1-8, James Connor was not that great in fantasy. He was RB30 in PPR PPG.

He was on actually on a higher TD pace for rushing TD's during those first 8 games then how he finished the season. Averaged 1.25 Td's per game those first 8 games to only 1 TD per game rushing when he actually took off but he also gave you 3 TD's in the passing game during the stretch took off and was winning leagues for people.

The major difference between Conner being a middling RB3 and league winner was not the TD's and as we can see here the TD's alone was not making him a top 15 RB. What led to him being a top RB was the massive difference in his passing game role he got when Edmonds went out. He want from averaging about one measly PPG in receiving production to 12, a solid 11 point PPG swing-almost what he was averaging in total before Edmonds got hurt.

8 games with Edmonds: RB30 in PPG, 11.52 PPG, 4.2 PPG for rushing yardage, 1.05 PPG for catches/receptions/receiving TD's, 7.5 PPG for  rushing TD's.

So pre-Edmonds getting hurt 65% of his fantasy production was from rushing TD's.  TD's were not making him a top 15 RB, they were saving him from being almost totally useless.

Post Edmonds injury:

7 games, RB2 in PPG, 23.64 PPG, 5.62 PPG for rushing yardage, 12.01 PPG for catches/recieving yardage and TD's and 6 PPG for rushing TD's.

So even when Edmonds got hurt and he took off he saw very small gain in PPG for rushing, slight dip in PPG for rushing TD's but again the difference was this involvement in the passing game.

Thanks!  That's a really great breakdown.  

Sorry, but I just don't get this conclusion: "Conner stands as one of the riskiest early bets in fantasy ADP. To hit on his positioning, he needs to keep up his touchdown production and see a dramatic increase in passing game involvement. "

I think some are using Edmonds departure to justify Conner at ADP (or even reaching for him) without considering that AZ let him go because they had a capable replacement in Eno Benjamin.  Barring injury to Eno, I don't see Conner having a large receiving role - and given Conner's own injury history, it might be in the Cards best interest to limit Conner's touches a bit regardless. 

I also see his TDs regressing significantly. The Cards have more weapons now than they did for Conner's uber productive stretch last year. Hollywood Brown & Moore aren't a world-beating duo, but they should be good enough that the offense doesn't have to funnel through Conner. And if indeed Eno is taking on the Chase Edmonds role, Conner's slice of pie gets a bit smaller. 

Plus, Conner stayed remarkably healthy last year. Injuries are difficult to predict, so I'm not saying he's absolutely going to get hurt, but the RB position in general takes a lot of abuse. I think it's likely he misses a game or 3. 

All told, I will likely not be drafting Conner in redraft, and if I had him in dynasty I'd have already been looking to sell high off of last year's productivity. He had a rare set of circumstances catapult him to FF stardom, and I see it as unlikely that it all lines up like that again this year. 

Great stuff, thanks. Conner seemed to do fairly well in the passing game when called upon, could this mean more involvement in this area from the start or does Eno automatically slide in to the Edmunds role? Don't think many believe Conner will be a #1 type again, but a mid-tier 2nd RB is viable, though if he loses most of his catches he's looking at #3 type numbers in all likelihood. 

I don't see Conner having a large receiving role
This IMO is the key to his value as I tried to explain in my post above.

I'm never been a big Conner fan but I'm not as quick to assume he won't have a good sized role in the passing game because he was kind of exceptional in that role after Edmonds went down and when you look at his career perhaps he's been sold short in this department.

He can't run routes like a CMC or Kamara but he has a higher catch percentage to target then both of them and comparable yards per reception. Again never been a big fan but can't knock his production when he's been used in that role.

Of course the major concern is he was not used in that role almost at all before Edmonds got hurt. A coaching decision. Will that be the same coaching decision or did his 95% catch percentage to target and new contract factor into Kliff using him differently this year? That, not TD's, will determine his value.

Plus, Conner stayed remarkably healthy last year.
Actually he started to break down at the end of the season and missed some games.

Yes, his current ADP may bake in TD regression (and that’s almost a certainty to happen) but I think it also bakes in the fact that Chase Edmunds is no longer there and that Conner will be a workhorse back. I think Eno Benjamin does see a good part or what Edmunds saw last season - plus Darrell Williams is also now in the mix as well. Conner could conceivably see less work and a regression in TDs which is why that article seems spot on to me. I have slot 4 in my only redraft (14 team league) and I’d love it if Conner is gone before my second round pick.

Actually he started to break down at the end of the season and missed some games.
yes, sorry - I meant during his extremely productive stretch of games without Edmonds.

Timing-wise his injuries were a disaster for playoff teams. In my long-standing 12-team dynasty league the 1-seed got bounced 1st round because Conner got hurt.

Still, it seems like not everyone noticed because only so many people make the playoffs. 

If his ~3 games missed came in the middle of the season we’d collectively be talking quite a bit more about his injury history. Most articles I’ve seen only mention his likely TD regression. 

And fair point about him being a decent receiver / dump off candidate for Murray. To that I’d suggest having Brown, Moore, Banjamin, and after 6 games Hopkins will cut into RB receptions in general. That’s an offense that wants to be vertical but was forced to dump it off quite a bit last year.

But you’re probably right in that we shouldn’t completely write off Conner being used as a receiver. He’ll get some love there - just nowhere near as much as 2021, IMO.

To me Conner is going to be a startable and good fantasy RB this year.  The problem is his price tag.  He likely has to hit his ceiling to return value so it's a bad draft idea because of that.  No room to get value from the pick.  I think he is a great RB2 to have this year but not at an RB1 price tag.  

Post Edmonds injury:

:goodposting:   Good stuff.  Love the discussion and thought here in the Shark Pool. 

To me Conner is going to be a startable and good fantasy RB this year.  The problem is his price tag.  He likely has to hit his ceiling to return value so it's a bad draft idea because of that.  No room to get value from the pick.  I think he is a great RB2 to have this year but not at an RB1 price tag.  
100% agreed. I’m not as gloom and doom as FBG is, calling him a land mine. 

Like you, I just think he’s overpriced. And I’m sure he’ll be reached for in a number of leagues by folks who go stud TE or stud WR strategy, with sugar plum visions of getting 18 TDs and a bushel-full of receptions.

Agree he’s a perfect RB2, which was his draft value last year - then he delivered a much higher than expected ceiling.

This year it’s going to be difficult to get ROI. 

Man, it really goes to show the difference in where people mock or look at ADPs. I'm routinely seeing/getting Conner in round 4. 

I would strongly disagree that his TDs are going to decrease by a large margin. Unless Kingsbury 100% changes his playcalling, Conner should hit 12+ TDs, and could very well stay in the 15-20 range. Very few HC in the NFL features his RB more in the redzone, and that's not just a 2021 anamoly, look at Drake in 2020-2nd half of 2019, or David Johnson in the 1st half of 2019, and Conner is better than those guys.

I've got Conner as RB13 and would be happy with him at the 2/3 turn. The only thing keeping him out of my top-10, is that he's probably the least durable RB in the NFL. He's missed 2-6 games in every season of his career. 

I would strongly disagree that his TDs are going to decrease by a large margin. Unless Kingsbury 100% changes his playcalling, Conner should hit 12+ TDs, and could very well stay in the 15-20 range.
If it was that easy more backs that have done it in the past would have repeated - most did not. 

RB seems especially murky this year outside of the first 5 or so guys, and guys like Conner are part of that murk haha

Some good analysis here. I think if Conner can stay healthy, he's going to be a big piece of the offense. Williams and Benjamin don't seem like a huge threat to me, but are great backups/relief guys. Will Conner be a workhorse RB1? No, probably not. But in his price range I think he's a solid RB2/Flex guy to start the season. I could see him having a solid start, and then falling off as the season went on. Would look to sell after a few early big games depending on how the Williams and Benjamin look. Definitely something to look at as camps start.

Full disclosure: I can keep him for 2$ on a 200$ auction budget and almost certainly will.

Some good analysis here. I think if Conner can stay healthy,
that’s partly where you lose me. That “if” should be in flashing neon lights, as it’s doing all the heavy lifting here. 

But in his price range I think he's a solid RB2/Flex guy to start the season.
I agree with the conclusion here, but the premise is a bit off - he’s seems like he’ll be priced as a low-end RB1. 

That’s why @Gally & I are suggesting he would have to hit his ceiling to justify his draft price. If that changed by the time I’m drafting redraft, and I could get him in the 4th, I’d be interested.

I see him more as an early 3rd or (gasp!) late 2nd round pick. There are just too many other players I’d rather have thereZ 

Full disclosure: I can keep him for 2$ on a 200$ auction budget and almost certainly will.
that’s a bargain, and you’d be crazy to not hold at that value. 

I'm not in any new leagues, so I'm not drafting other than rookie or devy drafts, but I would think in a startup he is going too early for my liking.  The guy has an injury past and is probably due and is getting older and isn't much in the receiving game, is TD dependent, averaged 3.7 yards per rush, so if I were drafting in a startup he wouldn't be on my team.  In dynasty he is definitely a sell without question.  If I were a rebuilding team I would trade him for an early 2nd in 2023 and not hesitate.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Best ball drafts I have done, once in a while he goes there, but usually I see him going at then end of the 3rd or early 4th.  I think that's a fair price.
I agree. It’s hard to trust ADP right now as most of it is based on BB leagues. 

I’ll have to wait for redraft season to see where I’m at on Conner. 

Users who are viewing this thread